Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Big Picture

A lawyer dissatisfied with his life fakes his death and disappears to pursue his love of photography. I liked it and wanted to like it more, but the first half really drags and the ending seemed kind of abrupt. Good film but uninspired. The French title actually translates as The Man Who Wanted to Change His Life, which would have been a more fitting title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Horrible Bosses - I went to this because the early screening of Poetry was sold out and I needed something to kill the time. It was amusing enough and delivered just enough laughs without becoming dull.

Poetry - Second time seeing it and I loved it just as much. It's my kind of drama film. No manipulative music, a truly beguiling lead character that you rarely see in movies, it constantly shifts your expectations and it overcomes the tricky balancing act of being completely unpredictable while never having an unbelievable or contrived outcome. Highly recommended, it's only on in the IFI for 2 more days so see it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Grinded my way through The tree of life last weekend, brad pitt and sean penn amongst others, it's hard work, very arty which i dont mind but a tough watch 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nearyj

Celda 211 (cell 211):
    Spanish movie currently playing in the IFI. The day before a prison guards first day on the job, he gets caught up in a riot at the prison. Great story, a few twists (some obvious), and I really felt for the protagonist when certain decisions had to be made.

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I recently got digital cable with HD recording, so I'm getting to see some of those odd movies they put on at 4AM. Tonight: Car Wash (1976). It's just a day in the life of a LA car wash in the 70, when James Brown was the king and Disco was just taking off. At one point, a 20-foot long gold limo pulls up because a single bird pooped on it, and out pops Richard Pryor as a rich evangelical preacher, and his groupies: the Pointer Sisters. :pac:

It's very well made, with a diverse cast of characters, and a near-constant funky soundtrack by Rose Royce. It's the kind of film Robert Altman might have made had he been black. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

brmccfc wrote: »
    leaves of grass
    with ed norton i thought it was a great watch and had never heard of it before hand...7/10
    Norton's my favourite actor but I had to stop watching after an hour. It was just so boring.

Just watched Neds, that was a mad oul film! Very good though IMO

For some reason I thought the father was played by Gary Oldman until I read it was the director himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not a film, but some thing about film mistakes on BBC 3. Didn't stick with it for long because it was a list programme with one of those insufferable presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've seen that show - the presenter's a complete douchebag

Apologies if OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 moone

Very funny...recommended as a light entertainment .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ichi the Killer

Long been on my list to watch. Far from great - the plot moves at a bizarre pace altogether, and yes it was late at night but I had trouble caring who was who or why that person was getting boiling tempura oil all over them. But yet... like all Miike films I think there was a bit of bite (literally, in one of the many cartoonishly obscene scenes) to the bloodletting. There's a satirical edge - it's a film where the characters are all hypocrites: loving the violence while at the same time appalled by it. Perhaps the same could be said of some of the audience of films like this. So yeah, it's hyper violent (the tongue biting scene is... memorable), messy and has an uninteresting central yakuza plot. Yet there's something scathing about the endeavour, and I couldn't help but be reminded that, like Visitor Q, Miike has managed to hide some depth underneath the bloodletting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just friends was on monday night tv3 and I have to say it was big surprise. Fully expected the typical hollywood lame comedy(hangover etc)but no, it was genuinely funny from start to finish. Anna faris must've won some sort of award for her performance, she was off the scale, chewing the scenery everywhere she went.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Watched Hesher last night. Decent enough film, good for a watch but nothing special. Joseph Gordan Levitt gives a good performance but at times the script wasn't great. That guy who plays Dwight in the US Office plays a depressed Dad and in my opinion he steals the show. I didn't even know it was him until I IMDB'd it later. His character is a bit like Steve Carrell's in Little Miss Sunshine only with less laughs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

watched rainbow song and all about lily chou chou yesterday

lily chou chou is one i've seen 4 or 5 times and it's definitely one of my favourites, rainbow song i've only watched 2 times and while it's a great film it's just so sad I don't think I'd be able to watch it regularly or I'd start cutting myself.

gona watch hana and alice later on tonigiht.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

tunguska wrote: »
    Just friends was on monday night tv3 and I have to say it was big surprise. Fully expected the typical hollywood lame comedy(hangover etc)but no, it was genuinely funny from start to finish. Anna faris must've won some sort of award for her performance, she was off the scale, chewing the scenery everywhere she went.
    Good movie, I used to live where a lot of it was filmed, I worked in the mall where a certain someone get's tasered. Go me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Cloverfield, for the second time. I like it. The fastest 90 minutes ever. Some cracking single scenes in it:
    the bit with Lady Liberty's head toppling down the street, the white horse and carriage, reminded me of Johnny Cash's song: When The Man Comes Around; "And I looked and behold: a pale horse.
    And his name, that sat on him, was Death.
    And Hell followed with him.", and the B2 Spirit bomber laying down bombs on the Monster.
    Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Cloverfield, for the second time. I like it. The fastest 90 minutes ever. Some cracking single scenes in it:
    the bit with Lady Liberty's head toppling down the street, the white horse and carriage, reminded me of Johnny Cash's song: When The Man Comes Around; "And I looked and behold: a pale horse.
    And his name, that sat on him, was Death.
    And Hell followed with him.", and the B2 Spirit bomber laying down bombs on the Monster.
    Excellent.
    I'm an atheist, but I'm going to suggest you read the bible. Your appreciation of any number of songs, books, paintings, images or dialogue in films, etc. would be richer for it. The bible has greatly influenced western art (stories, poems, songs, paintings, everything).

The lyrics you quote are from a bible verse:
    Revelations 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
    Certainly
    Cash
    knew that; his songs are full of Christian imagery.

Lost in Translation - liked it alot, well directed

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Just seen the Score for the first time. I had heard some less than glowing reports and was told it was a bit of a let down, considering the 3 main roles. As a result I prob wasn't expecting much but I loved it. 3 good performances, good pace and an exciting enough finish...enough to keep ya going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Submarine- Great debut from Richard Ayoade and soundtrack from Alex Turner. Very influenced by French new wave but its all about the performances, especially from Craig Roberts. It be a Cult hit in years to come.

Heartbreak Ridge- One of Clint Eastwood's lost gems, just full of great one liners and a enjoyable two hours of Action comedy.

Water lillies- A French art house film about a reltionship between two teenage Girls, reminds me of Lynne Ramsey's work with a French twist. Pretty dark and uncomfortable film at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

PaulieC wrote: »
    Lost in Translation - liked it alot, well directed

Really enjoyed it as well. A truly beautiful film. I love the way Bill Murray is basically playing himself. I really like the soundtrack also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Just finished watching The American. Second time around. It's received a fair bit of criticism but I really really like it. Acting, production, cinematography, soundtrack, and of course, the wonderful Clara are great.

Super - What a film, really enjoyed it and was not expecting anything from it,

Really enjoyed it as well. A truly beautiful film. I love the way Bill Murray is basically playing himself. I really like the soundtrack also.
    Thought the Cinematography was the best thing about it...after Bill Murray of course, the guy's just sub zero cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just finished watching The American. Second time around. It's received a fair bit of criticism but I really really like it. Acting, production, cinematography, soundtrack, and of course, the wonderful Clara are great.

+1. I thought it was very underrated. Beautiful cinematography and a slow burner in the pace department.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cinderella Man, sure its cliched and the presence of Renee Zellweger in anything is enough to render it unwatchable but I'm a sucker for a good boxing movie, Russel Crowe is good as Jimmy Braddock and Paul Giamatti steals the show as his trainer. Iffy historical aspects aside (Max Baer wasnt the cold hearted brute as he is in the movie, in real life his acholism stemmed from his guilt from him killing a man in the ring) its a decent story well told. didnt deserve to flop like it did.

krudler wrote: »
    Cinderella Man, sure its cliched and the presence of Renee Zellweger in anything is enough to render it unwatchable but I'm a sucker for a good boxing movie, Russel Crowe is good as Jimmy Braddock and Paul Giamatti steals the show as his trainer. Iffy historical aspects aside (Max Baer wasnt the cold hearted brute as he is in the movie, in real life his acholism stemmed from his guilt from him killing a man in the ring) its a decent story well told. didnt deserve to flop like it did.
    Didn't realise it flopped really - absolutely loved that film, although Zellweger is painful in it alright!

Didn't realise it flopped really - absolutely loved that film, although Zellweger is painful in it alright!

she is awful in it, her mangled New Joiysey accent, her acting range goes from smooshed up face showing concern to smooshed up face showing joy. least the other cast members make up for it, Crowe and Giamatti are dependable as always, and Paddy Considine is good in his small role, Bruce McGill is great in it as the boxing promoter, love that guy hes one of those "oh its that guy from that thing" actors, crops up in loads of stuff.

krudler wrote: »
    she is awful in it, her mangled New Joiysey accent, her acting range goes from smooshed up face showing concern to smooshed up face showing joy.

The one line from it that has always stuck with me, yet annoys the hell out of me is her saying "Oh Mister Bwaddock you're so stwong" AGHHHHH!!!!
    Paddy Considine is good in his small role, Bruce McGill is great in it as the boxing promoter, love that guy hes one of those "oh its that guy from that thing" actors, crops up in loads of stuff

He is one of those guys alright - he's brilliant at playing stern prícks tbf!

• Advertisement

He is one of those guys alright - he's brilliant at playing stern prícks tbf!

he is, great character actor, has a brilliant scene in The Insider

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement