Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Everybody's Fine- nice little movie, bit melodramatic at times especially with the kids at dinner scene but De Niro gives a really good, understated performance, first time in ages I havent just felt I've been watching him be De Niro.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just watched Your Highness. I'd heard it was awful so my expectations were low. I enjoyed it for what it was, it was pretty poor overall but I got one or two giggles out of it. It was a missed opportunity more than anything considering the talent involved, shame, it could have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Exit Through the Gift Store last night - A Banksy Documentary focusing on somebody who took a huge interest in Street Art....

Thought it was absolutely brilliant and mind boggling for a finish - great watch, would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Super 8=Super Great

I read an article a few years ago which said the JJ Abrams had been talking to Joon-ho Bong. There was a rumor that they were going to be working together but Abrams was probably getting some advise on this.
    Joon-ho Bong did after all, do the excellent The Host.

Of coarse I'm just speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I watched Scream 4 last night. I thought when Wes Craven came back it might be somewhere near as good as the first one(which is quality IMHO) but I really thought it was awful.

I picked the killer within 30min and the deaths were piss poor. I think I laughed twice at the classic "scream" jokes they put in.

As big a let down as I have seen in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

PaulieC wrote: »
    Watched Exit Through the Gift Store last night - A Banksy Documentary focusing on somebody who took a huge interest in Street Art....

Thought it was absolutely brilliant and mind boggling for a finish - great watch, would highly recommend

I saw that in the cinema - I'd really recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

blitz
    jason stathom plays his usual crazy character out to catch a cop killer ( aidan gillen ) decent film worth a watch

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Hall Pass from the Farrelly Brothers. Utter muck really. Not funny, desperately wanted to be The Hangover. It's hard to believe this is from the same guys whoe made Me,Myself & Irene, Something about Mary and Dumb and Dumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I just watched The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. It's on Current TV's 50 documentaries to see before you die and I have to say it's one of the best "films" I have ever seen. I am not a documentary fan by any means but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

As silly as it sounds that it's about a guy trying to beat a top score in Donkey Kong i'd reccomend it above any film I have seen i the last year.

5/5 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I am Number Four - Sci-fi released early last year about an alien child that is grouped with 8 other children and is sent to Earth in order to escape their planet from an invading race. As he grows up he discovers 3 of those 8 have already been killed and you've guessed it, he's number four. It's a decent enough film but couldn't quite capture my attention. Some good performances but otherwise was quite dull in most places. A decent film to waste an evening to though.

Burke and Hare - Comedy about two grave robbers set in Scotland in the 1800's (I think). Starred Simon Pegg and once I knew that my expectations were quite high but the film was very boring. Got a few laughs from it and enjoyed the appearance of Christopher Lee but quite disappointed by it. Started to nod off towards the last half hour.

Sunshine - Everyone probably knows about this by now so I'll keep it simple. One of my favorite sci-fi films of all time. Excellent story (bar the divisive final third), fluid, great cast, fantastic performances, visuals are stunning and the score... amazing. John Murphy is a genius. It keeps me in my seat for the entire duration no matter how many times I've seen it and not many films can get me to do that, even in the cinema. In my top 10 and I think it always will be.

• Advertisement

Daydream Nation

First of all really love Kat Dennings. It was nice to see her in a lead. I like Reece Thompson too, even though I've only ever seen him play the same type of character over and over. (Rocket Science, Ceremony, Assassination of a Highschool President). He is destined to work with Wes Anderson.

For the first half an hour of the film I thought it was being odd for the sake of being odd. There is a serial killer on the loose. A fire burns on the edge of town that cannot be put out, puffing black smoke into the air. We see glimpses of the future, things that will happen to the characters but are not part of the narrative. The teenagers are constantly high. I was being too cynical.

The film strives for a specific feeling. It has an odd dreamlike quality to it. The kids are more grown up than the adults. It has a style. And unlike most of the films of it's kind which begin this way, full of promise that you are going to see something different before not being able to sustain what they have created, Daydream Nation not only sustains, but it grows. It gets better and better.

As I said, it goes for a specific style and it achieves it. It's really good. And if I had seen this film when I was younger I would have it in my top ten.

It's really really good. Similar to, in the way that it's a quirky independent, but better than Submarine. However, where Submarine waned as it continued, Daydream Nation just gets better.
    Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Edge of Darkness (2010) - the remake of the 6 part BBC TV series from 1985. Picked it up for €2 in a charity shop yesterday and wasn't disappointed despite being a fan of the orginal and not of remakes in general. This is, of course, a vehicle for Mel Gibson who reprises his "Lethal Weapon" role as a policeman but, possibly, a slightly more realistic one. If, like me, you're a fan of the original put it out of your mind when you sit down to watch this one and then you should enjoy it. Plenty of action with a satisfying ending. :D

Mel-Gibson-is-back-in-Edge-of-Darkness_article_story_main.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Fantastic film, I was very skeptical going in - but it was amazing .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

watched super 8 last night its not great story line is very weak
    def one for dvd as iam glad i dident go to the cinema to watch it.

xmen was good but thought it would be better.

paul some funny bits but sh1te enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Nicholas Nickleby - the Ealing movie based on the famous Dickens' novel. Fast-paced, dark, and an impressive cast. Easily the best film version.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

13 Assasins by Takashi Miike -

Not as good as Seven Samurai but still decent, builds up to a serious bodycount towards the end of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

the_monkey wrote: »
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Fantastic film, I was very skeptical going in - but it was amazing .
    +1 ,i taught the CGI was over done in places and the apes a little to human like but overall a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

The Librarian: The Quest for the Spear - The problem with the TV movie is that there's a better movie lying under it somewhere. Three actually, they're called Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. tongue.gif Fair play to them being unashamed about it, they even may have needed it to actually sell the pitch, but the opening and closing are far, far more interesting than the middle which feels like there have been chunks ripped out from that justify what's happening.

Noah Wyle is a nervous but talented, perpetual student called Flynn Carsen with 22 academic degrees who is forced out of his school for not going away and therefore needs a job. He receives a mysterious invitation (which has been printed by the same company Willy Wonka uses apparently) to attend the mysterious Metropolitan Public Library for a mysterious job interview to become the librarian of Hangar 51 the museum's library. With very little convincing and nothing to do with his academic ability, he gets the job and discovers the place is a secret vault of famous artifacts - oh hey there's the Ark of the Covenant - and is immediately tasked by Marcus Brody to recover the Spear of Destiny which was broken into three pieces and scattered around the globe.

It's not an eye-bleedingly bad film but it's just so uneven and could have been so much more. Why the heck does Carsen, after hanging around the Himalayas, then retreat to a fancy hotel in Mongolia of all places? Then it pulls a horrible Kill Bill parody out of its ass. CGI flips from being quite nice and having aged well to distracting at times. In the same sequence at one point. The movie ends with Carsen being called away to
    deal with ninjas that have stolen HG Wells' time machine.
    I want to see that film! The next is the series is Return to King Solomon's Mines. I've been there already, it has Paul Robeson songs. frown.gif

Burke & Hare - I guess most of the Scots were off learning How to Train Your Dragon to be in Edinburgh for this. Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis star as the graverobbers in a comedy which is great for British comedy bingo. It just ain't funny, although I admit to laughing when
    the unanimously doctors make that pleased noise at the chance to get funding

The Tournament - The DVD case is wrong. Every seven years (I'm sure the film say seven but the poster says ten) in a city around the planet, thirty assassins take part in a tournament where the last man standing wins a big cash payoff for the benefit of the world's most powerful watching on CCTV. Predictable, but the film's like Shoot 'Em Up and Smokin' Aces where the focus is on the bullets and not the characters.

Zombieland - Woody Harrelson is basically playing Stone Cole Steve Austin...
    Bill Murray's
    appearance was already spoiled for me and could see
    his getting shot during his prank coming
    anyway. Didn't seem like a big deal to the characters so I kept expecting
    his death to be part of the prank before getting killed later on.
    The rest of the movie was alright I guess.

Shrek Forever After - Dunno whether I was expecting so little after Shrek the Third but I'll take it over that at least. Maybe even Shrek 2. The plot was better than I thought it would but it's not funny. mad.gif The ending was anti-climactic and it would have been nice to know what had become of Farquaad and Prince Charming during the film but yeah, an unnecessary sequel albeit not a wholly unwelcome one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Super

After his wife falls under the influence of a drug dealer, an everyday guy transforms himself into Crimson Bolt, a superhero with the best intentions, though he lacks for heroic skills. (IMBD description)

This was a real surprise and very enjoyable. The obvious comparison is Kick Ass, a ‘normal’ guy becomes a superhero and takes on a bunch of criminals with predictable results.

The cast are very good, it’s violent, funny and quite sad in places but has a strangely uplifting ending. Recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

The Eagle on bluray, good film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

blitz
    jason stathom plays his usual crazy character out to catch a cop killer ( aidan gillen ) decent film worth a watch

Just happened to give this a watch last night and I was genuinely disappointed. With Considine & Gillen being such good actors I thought it would have been worth a look, sadly not!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

Tristan + Isolde: I love historical romance type films so would usually have been a complete sucker for this. It was ruined for me by James Franco's completely one note performance, seriously he has 2 expressions for the whole film and they're both scowls. There was no chemistry between him and Sophia Myles who plays Isolde. I'm probably one of the few who think Franco is really overrated as an actor. Disappointing.

Black Book: Loved it, best film I've seen for ages.

The Guard: really enjoyed this, thought Brendan Gleeson was gas.

Dancing at Lughnasa:taped this the other night, had never seen it before. Complete borefest I thought, although Meryl Streep at least did an alright Irish accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Just watched Super 8. Superb movie. Monster movie in a similar vein to Cloverfield except told from the perspective of children. It's been criticised for being awfully derivative of Spielberg but I'd still say it's my movie of the year. Ending is a bit flimsy but other than that I'd give it 4 stars. Forget about that Captain America rubbish and go watch this instead.

It's all very retro as well which I loved. Not sure if it's meant to be contemporary with ET or anything. Judging by the hairstyles and movie posters it looks very early 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Finally got around to watching Cell 211, been sitting on my shelf for a good year or so. really great movie, glued in from the beginning, highly recommended it.

Midnight In Paris

I've started to like Woody Allen films alot more since he stopped casting that weird guy with the glasses.

It's alright. It's not terrible, it's not fantastic. I'm glad I watched. it. The concept is very Goodnight Sweetheart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Midnight Run

Well known film but just ok.
    Worth watching but forgettable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Snatch last night. Great soundtrack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

Watched a few flicks this week..

Limitless 7/10..very good..well entertained.
    I am number 4..4/10..yea 4 is about right..it's crap.
    X-men First Class..5/10..i wasn't expecting much to be honest.
    Kill The Irishman 7/10..really enjoyed this flick..well worth the watch.
    Harry Potter Deathly hallow's..im personally not a fan 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Super 8Good film well worth a watch.Overall its well done,but seemed like an fusion of other films I had seen in the past.
    Good soundtrack.

Captain America]Enjoyed this,I love films about battling Nazi super villians.The ending lined it up for a sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Frost/Nixon - excellent. I can understand why some people find it boring but there was superb acting. Especially from Langella. Ron Howard pulled it out of the bag again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement