Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Ironclad lastnight after seeing it pop up here a few times. Enjoyable movie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Snatch last night. Great soundtrack!

If you enjoyed Snatch you should get the box set which also has "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" plus "Layer Cake" - great escapism in these depressing times. :D

layer-cake-snatch-lock-stock-two-smoking-barrels-dvd-cover-art.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

If you enjoyed Snatch you should get the box set which also has "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" plus "Layer Cake" - great escapism in these depressing times. :D

layer-cake-snatch-lock-stock-two-smoking-barrels-dvd-cover-art.jpg
    Layer Cake is an absolute Gem of a movie IMO

I'd actually rate Lock Stock higher than Snatch too

All 3 are very good though

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Super 8...I loved it. I think the fact I knew fook all about it b4 I watched it made it that much better. Very well made and acted by the kids.

Bad teacher...good laugh, woth it just to see Diaz cradle some massive titties:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Just watched 'rise of the planet of the apes'. Very Good. Well written and the main character is well done. Bit Terminator 3ish though in some parts near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Being forced to watch Urban Cowboy by OH. The dance scene in the country music bar, John Travolta the campest oil worker in the history of the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Meek's Cutoff

Had been really looking forward to this only to be sorely disappointed. Not my cup of tea at all.

I would not say don't watch it though, because I know it's the type of film that some people will love.

4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Rise of the planet of the apes. Thought it was the best film ive seen all summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

charlie wilsons war on itv last nite , third time ive seen it , love it , perfect for political anoraks like me , philip seymour hoffman ( as usual ) steals the show

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

O Brother, Where Art Thou? my fave Coen movie by far, its just brilliant throughout and it gets funnier every time I see it. Clooney should do more comedic roles hes got savage comic timing. funniest moment is when hes trying to order more Dapper Dan from a store in the middle of nowhere where everything he asks for will take two weeks to order. "well...aint this place a geographical oddity! two weeks from everywhere!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Limitless. Probably not as good as it was hyped up to be, but still a pretty enjoyable movie. The plot keeps you guessing the whole way through and doesn't really turn out like you'd expect. Biggest niggle about it though was
    Eddie drinking the blood to get some NZT. Surely they could have gone with some NZT being left in the syringe or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hesher: If you like Joseph Gordon Levitt you might like this, he plays an anarchistic heavy metal fan, he's pretty good in it, the story is about a kid dealing with grief, nothing special.

Battle: Los Angeles: Aghh, forgettable really.

The Next Three Days: Quite good, like Prison break the movie only Russell Crowe doesn't actually go into the prison...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Laura (1944). American film noir, nice murder mystery. Starring Vincent Price before he became a horror symbol. Suspense and some surprising plot twists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The Hurt Locker.

I'm really in two minds over this. One has me appreciating a movie of modern war but the other I don't like Bigelow's unsubtle anti-war attitude which went above what could have been an excellent narrative of modern war.

Bigelow seems to make Sgt. James (Renner) a stereotype for all the army. Brash, arrogant, loose cannon, and makes terrible decisions. The production seem to want to make all of the US troops carbon copies of James. I know Sanborn and Eldridge were different but James's attitude is prevalent throughout.

Other niggles were the Sniper battle. Some EOD experts are trained in the use of a sniper rifle to eliminate explosives from a distance but James turned to an expert spotter and Sanborn was able to pop an Iraqi from 800 meters on the run. It made little sense in a whole film that strove for accuracy.

I did like it but these stuff kept bothering me throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Anyone else watch The Lives of Others last night on BBC2?
    I thought it was an excellent film. A superb finish really capped off a great performance by Ulrich Mühe, who played the protagonist, Wiesler. The film really showed the desperation and suffering of the people in the GDR, and I'm really surprised this film isn't as renowned as Downfall, for example, a must see. Couldn't recommend it more.

I also watched Requiem for a Dream a few days ago. A desperately depressing film. I thought it was excellent though, very powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

horrible bosses, horrible film would have been a better title, load of crap, waste of 90 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

THFC wrote: »
    Anyone else watch The Lives of Others last night on BBC2?
    I thought it was an excellent film. A superb finish really capped off a great performance by Ulrich Mühe, who played the protagonist, Wiesler. The film really showed the desperation and suffering of the people in the GDR, and I'm really surprised this film isn't as renowned as Downfall, for example, a must see. Couldn't recommend it more.
    Didn't it win best foreign movie the year it came out? I think it did anyway. It was nominated at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Didn't it win best foreign movie the year it came out? I think it did anyway. It was nominated at the very least

I thought it was only nominated but I just checked there and it actually won it.
    The Lives of Others won the 2006 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. The film had earlier won seven Deutscher Filmpreis awards – including best film, best director, best screenplay, best actor, and best supporting actor – after having set a new record with 11 nominations. It was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the 64th Golden Globe Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Source Code - fairly poor film IMO but I know there will be a lot of people who will like it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched The Pipe, the shell to sea documentary. It was an entertaining watch but as a documentary it was poor. It didn't put forward any real argument against the pipeline leaving me none the wiser as to why it's a bad idea. The people it focused on,particularly Harrington and the fisherman all seemed rather irrational and unreasonable, not really sympathetic at all. They would have been much better off making a proper documentary that actually put forward some facts and did a bit of research into why the pipeline should or shouldn't go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

rise of the apes, wasnt expecting much but it was pretty good, cgi is good in this

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Losers: A faithful enough adaptation of the comic in parts, and not so good in the parts where it differs. A lot of the big scenes are copied almost exactly although they left out the boat escape which is probably the best action scene from the comic.

All in all it's watchable, leave your brain at the door action. The camaraderie between the team is good and it's nice to see everyone get a few decent lines rather than all them going to Chris Evans (a la Fantastic Four). The downside is that Chris Evans is in it, and playing Chris Evans once again. It also suffers from a villain who never comes across as a real threat and more of a Saturday morning cartoon bad guy.

The King Of Kong: A fist full of quarters : This documentary frustrated the hell out of me
    until the very last scene.
    It's a gripping look at attempts to gain the highest score in Donkey Kong but ends up being they story of a guy trying to overcome the odds.

It has a storyline which many big budget films can't match and a lot of odd/ weird characters which you would criticize if they were not real. At first I thought the director was going out of his way in creating an underdog VS the unlikeable champion set up, but it quickly becomes obvious that there is no need for the director to try and sway your opinions. Really recommend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The Losers: A faithful enough adaptation of the comic in parts, and not so good in the parts where it differs. A lot of the big scenes are copied almost exactly although they left out the boat escape which is probably the best action scene from the comic.

All in all it's watchable, leave your brain at the door action. The camaraderie between the team is good and it's nice to see everyone get a few decent lines rather than all them going to Chris Evans (a la Fantastic Four). The downside is that Chris Evans is in it, and playing Chris Evans once again. It also suffers from a villain who never comes across as a real threat and more of a Saturday morning cartoon bad guy.

The King Of Kong: A fist full of quarters : This documentary frustrated the hell out of me
    until the very last scene.
    It's a gripping look at attempts to gain the highest score in Donkey Kong but ends up being they story of a guy trying to overcome the odds.

It has a storyline which many big budget films can't match and a lot of odd/ weird characters which you would criticize if they were not real. At first I thought the director was going out of his way in creating an underdog VS the unlikeable champion set up, but it quickly becomes obvious that there is no need for the director to try and sway your opinions. Really recommend this.

Billy Mitchell is an absolute cockbag, but his wife has massive cans, so bully for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

was on holidays last for a while so managed to watch:

Moon: Enjoyed it, good little story.
    Usual Suspects (I know, I'm in my 30s and I've only seen it now!) - Great film but the end wasn't much of a surprise as I've obviously picked up bits over the years.

And I re-watched Eyes Wide Shut....still shít and then The Shining was on TV last night, still a great movie but Wendy (Shelley Duvall) was just annoying, if I had the bat I'd like to use it on her too!
    Even on the extra material/documentary she came across very moany, perhaps Kubrick was working her too much.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just watched Essential Killing starring Vincent Gallo. He plays an Afghan(i think) prisoner who escapes the US army somehwere in Europe and goes on the run. I don't know what to make of it tbh, it started off ok then proceeded to go nowhere really. It was watchable but not what I would call a satisfying movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Kill The IrishmanI really enjoyed this film.Ray Stephenson is top notch as Danny Greene.Based on a true story this is well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

The War

Came out circa 94. Nobody payed it much attention over here because we already had war of the buttons and the main story line of this is similar. Kids battling each other.

It is a pretty good film. It stars Kevin Costner and a young Elijah Wood. Costner is very good in it. He plays a Vietnam vet, who has returned with pdsd. He is a good man. He is very much motivated, and defined by what happened to him in the war.

The black people are nearly caricatures, but at least it battles racism in a positive way. Racism=bad. I get it now. Thanks "the war."

It tugs on the heart strings plenty, is flawed, but overall very enjoyable.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Rise of the planet of the apes.

Thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

krudler wrote: »
    Billy Mitchell is an absolute cockbag, but his wife has massive cans, so bully for him.

Steve got f*cked over there as well...his wife just comes across as a b*tch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

Super- Thought this was very good

Reign Over me- Awesome adam sandler film, and I dont particularly like adam sandler

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement