Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

poor enough considering the good cast

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

just watched Cloverfield this evening, very well done, very good movie

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

The Virgin Suicides

Pretty good but not great. I felt really sorry for the girls, probably because they were really good looking. If they were ugly would I have cared as much? (pause for quiet contemplation) No.

Giving it that score because I would have liked it more had I watched it in better conditions and I wasn't in such a mood.
    6.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Just watched the Social Network, I know its not 100% true but still an amazing film to see how it was done

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

leposean wrote: »
    Just watched the Social Network, I know its not 100% true but still an amazing film to see how it was done
    I absolutely hated this film. Thought it was a piece of sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I absolutely hated this film. Thought it was a piece of sh1t.

Same. Only thing I liked about it was the soundtrack/score

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Finally got to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, have to say I really enjoyed it. I was wondering how they would go about some of the darker scenes seeing as its a 12s certificate but I was impressed. Needless to say I also went through a few tissues! :o

I thought it was well done, stayed fairly true to the book and showed my beloved Neville to be the hero he truely is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Super 8 - What a waste of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Voltwad wrote: »
    Super 8 - What a waste of money!

Ouch! You're not the only one saying this. I'll avoid it so.

I watched The Woodsman the other day. Really powerful film and a good performance by Kevin Bacon, you really feel sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Red Hill - very good storyline. It was a bit predictable at times but good film nevertheless - 7/10

Source Code - surprisingly very good. I saw the trailers and wasnt impressed but eventually decided to watch it. I liked it. Great acting by Vera Farmiga - 8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Just watched Limitless. Absolute tripe. Wasn't expecting much but still struggling to believe how bad it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Just watched Limitless. Absolute tripe. Wasn't expecting much but still struggling to believe how bad it was.

Watched Sucker Punch yesterday, and everything you said about Limitless is applicable!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

e_e wrote: »
    Watched Sucker Punch yesterday, and everything you said about Limitless is applicable!

I see yours and go one worse just watched Knucklehead, only reason being its on Sky Premiere this week you do catch the odd gem you wouldnt have head of so said screw it ill give it a go absolutely shocking garbage of a film, turns out the big guy in it is a WWE star figures, if you see it coming on avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Mini's First Time

It was an okay film starring Alec Baldwin in his pre fat face days. It's basically about a young woman who manipulates, for what ultimate goal is unclear. Maybe just for the sake of it.

Although, it is a very sensual film, it never shows the fcuking, and I'm glad, because it elevates it from simple titillation in to something that should be contemplated.

I'm glad I watched it, and will be just as glad to never see it again.

5.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched "All Good Things" last night....it was alright - I laughed my ass off at a few points that I'm sure were supposed to be serious but I thought Ryan Gosling was very good in it - turning into more of a fan of his with every movie I see him in....

Still don't like Kirsten Dunst though!

I actually thought this was really good, much better than I was expecting (I'll admit though I really wasn't expecting much!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

Bronson....avoid 3/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Kill The IrishmanI really enjoyed this film.Ray Stephenson is top notch as Danny Greene.Based on a true story this is well worth checking out.

Watched this last night. Talk about an opportunity missed. Started off not too bad then continued with corny Irish Celtic Warrior bull****. And the Irish are drunks as usual according to this film.

Could have been brilliant. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Watched Sucker Punch on blu ray last night.

When it ended I felt like I had been watching someone else play a game with amazing graphics on a games console.

Just felt like a load of levels with a boss fight at the end of each which then had an attempt of a story tacked around the gaming levels.

Visually excellent and some very imaginative camera work to compliment the top class technical side of things, but sadly lacking in anything that made me give a damn about the characters. Was disappointing as I am a bit of a mark for Snyder's other films.

If Snyder's visual talents could to be coupled with a strong imaginative storyteller then the outcome could be a brilliant film.

Here's hoping that him working with Chris Nolan and David Goyer leads to Man Of Steel becoming that brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Knuckle

I really enjoyed this film. Filmed over 12 years by Ian Plamer who follows bare knuckle fighting in Ireland, and the Quinn McDonagh's feud with the Joyces and to lesser extent the Nevins. For some reason James comes across likable, as do most of the people in it. There LOL moments that actually come the travellers themselves. A lot of the film is shot handheld.There are some bit's subtitled to understand what some of the travellers are saying. There is some violence that will put you off, as two men walked out yesterday but overall a very well made film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

kraggy wrote: »
    Watched this last night. Talk about an opportunity missed. Started off not too bad then continued with corny Irish Celtic Warrior bull****. And the Irish are drunks as usual according to this film.

Could have been brilliant. Shame.

There's also some REALLY dodgy effects in it too.

Overall, enjoyable enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Faster easily the Rocks best effort at a movie so far.No brainer can in hand entertainment.The Roar of those car engines on blu-ray is the best ive heard and the action scenes pack a punch sound wise.7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Something made me start watching 'Knowing', even fully knowing that I've to be up at 6 for work.

40 minutes to go, and I reckon this film has just officially sh1t the bed. I actually quite like the way Nic Cage can earnestly act his way through an awful film ("...the bees!!..."), but Rose Byrne's character/attempt at acting it out emphasises what this thing is - a paper-thin nonsense-piece which demands nothing more than that you sit still and wait for the pretty explosions and spoooky sychronicity. Oh and I'm sure there'll be a reveal - and it'll be awesome

When will I learn!?
    3/10 (with 15 mins to go)

edit - 2/10 by the end. Worst looking, most poorly conceived final 30 seconds of a film I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I thought it was great!

Original idea, Bradley Cooper was really good in the role. Loved the ambiguous ending, too.

4/5 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Harrocks wrote: »
    Faster easily the Rocks best effort at a movie so far.No brainer can in hand entertainment.The Roar of those car engines on blu-ray is the best ive heard and the action scenes pack a punch sound wise.7/10

I enjoyed it as well. But I prefer the alternative ending that is shown in the blu ray extras to the actual ending used in the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Saros

Not sure if was already mentioned: "Winter's bone". Great portrait of provincial America.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Half Nelson (2006)

Really enjoyed it - was slightly disappointed with the ending but the performances in it are very good imo - Gosling plays the part very well

Frost/Nixon

Absolutely loved it. I avoided watching it up until now because the ads gave me a different idea of the route the film would take. Delighted I gave it a chance, one of the better films I've seen recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Saros wrote: »
    Not sure if was already mentioned: "Winter's bone". Great portrait of provincial America.
    Excellent film indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Watched the fellowship of the ring pt 1 from the EE blu ray last night. Long w/end ahead to watch the whole saga. No problems with the picture so far and the sound is reference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement