Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

Land of the Lost - silly funny and suprisingly adult for a 'kids' movie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Gran Torino - Great Stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

for some reason theres been a rake of 80s B movie type stuff on the telly lately.

stuff like treamors and the like.

last i saw was "the Wraith"

cracking little supernatural film with charlie sheen as a murdered teenager that comes back to get vengance on the road racing gang that killed him. for the time that car was one kick arse looking ride and it was littered with great little bit characters (like "skank" who gets off drinking hydrolic fluid :) )

its dumb but fun and alot lighter in tone than you'd think considering it couldve played as a horror film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Adventureland - Something along the lines of a cross between Superbad and Sex Drive. Typical coming of age teen comedy/drama. Not the greatest of films. Funniest bits are in the trailer and not even Ryan Renolds can give it some much needed comedic injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

nicklauski wrote: »
    Adventureland - Something along the lines of a cross between Superbad and Sex Drive. Typical coming of age teen comedy/drama. Not the greatest of films. Funniest bits are in the trailer and not even Ryan Renolds can give it some much needed comedic injection.

Cross between Superbad and Sex Drive NOT! It's marketed like that but that's not what the film is. It's a rom com drama, that's more character focused and intelligent combined with an 80s setting and soundtrack. A lot of comic actors but there's very little gross out gratuitous comedy bits in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Marley & Me- Very nice film especially if your a dog lover.

Wanted- Great film for stting back switching the brain off and just enjoying the action.

watched both of these in the last few weeks.

Marley and me is funny. I love dogs but I couldnt handle this. really sad. :(

Wanted: enjoyed it. a bit stupid but I wasnt expecting serious stuff anyway. cool effects too.

Public enemies: crap

Bruno: Crap

Trasformers 2: Crap excluding the forest fight scene and megan fox and the other girl. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

At the weekend the girlfriend and I seen a few DVD's

Genova - after watching this, both of us were wondering what the hell the point of it was. It was like "that was it?, what the ****?!!?!" I'd like to erase the memory of having watched this from my mind. A waste of an hour and a half.

Doubt - Well acted, all that is in it is done with a touch of quality.....but somewhat overall leaving you disatisfied. The conclusion didn't work for me.

Let the right one in - I enjoyed this. A very good story, well told, well acted. Although in the horror genre don't expect it to scare the bejaysus out of you. It won't. It's concentrates on the relationship of the young lad Oskar and the vampire Eli and it's handled very well.

Bronson - Really good film. Was billed as Chopper mixed with Clockwork Orange. Of course it's not that and try not to expect it. But very entertaining and Tom Hardy is electirc as the title character.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HHH

5 minutes of heaven, Great movie, James Nesbitt is great in it.

I love you, man, Really bad, only 2 laugh out loud moments.

Public Enemies, Not great, never really got going, long...

Bruno, Not funny at all, at least with Borat you felt sorry for the character. Bit of a let down.

The Hangover, Brilliant, best comedy i've seen in ages!

Transformers 2, Not as good as the first one but still a good movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Stuck on Alien last night, and my god I'm glad I finally got around to watching it!!! Definitely a film worthy of the praise... A true classic

Gonna see if I can convince my GF to watch Aliens with me now:P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

The Ugly Truth. Made me laugh a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Last night was the first time I had sat down to watch a film.

I watched Danny Boyle's film, 'The Beach'. Was a bit weird and felt like it was all over the place at times but I enjoyed it even if I did feel that the ending was a little weak.

• Moderators Posts: 51,789 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The Taking of Pelham 123 - Wasn't impressed with it.

Push - Decent enough movie. Almost like Heroes the movie to watch.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Munich - good film, thought parts of it where a bit drawn out, but it tell's a good story of the Israeli agents in Europe going after the black september group, although I did take a lot of it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Watched 'Horsemen' last night which was good enough. It's a serial killer type movie with Denis Quaid.

First main twist
    with the feteus in the bag
    I was not expecting but I guessed the main reveal pretty early on. Still...if you like murder movies it was grand.

Also watched 'Knowing' with Nicholas Cage at the weekend...started off really good but went downhill rapidly in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I watched The Breakfast Club yesterday after hearing of John Hughes' death.
    I had never seen it before but now it's down as one of my favourite films of all time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

LazyClouds wrote: »
    I watched The Breakfast Club yesterday after hearing of John Hughes' death.
    I had never seen it before but now it's down as one of my favourite films of all time.:D
    Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe :D
    Great movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

yerayeah wrote: »
    Watched Death Race. Wouldn't recommend it...

Statham at his best
    Joan Allen being a sleaze bag
    And Ian McShane's hamming it up

What is not to like?

On top of that, massively cool races, cars, women and guns

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

nicklauski wrote: »
    Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe :D
    Great movie.

Uh, Dick? Excuse me; Rich. Will milk be made available to us?

Went to see The Taking Of Pelham 123 last night.

I really liked this a lot. I've not seen the original but I really enjoyed this a lot. I would definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Blindness: Really liked it in spite of its mixed reviews.

All the Boys Loved Mandy Lane: Slasher movie with a bit of a twist, quite enjoyed it, style of direction, music etc was a breath of fresh air.

The Hoax: Enjoyable caper with Richard Gere and Alfred Molina, true story and source material very interesting.

Let The Right One In: Simply one of the best and most unique pieces of film Ive ever seen. Fantastic and highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

'The Lives Of Others' just gets better every time...

'Anvil! The Story Of Anvil' is a brilliantly funny and endearing documentary about a Canadian metal band who never made it but still think they're about to...30 years later! You need have no interest whatever in metal music to appreciate this...

Just finished watching The International

Absolute rubbish I thought and had no idea what was going on at all. Watched the trailer for it beforehand and the film was completely different to what it led you to believe. Wouldn't be the first time I suppose.

Took 80 minutes for anything really to happen and even then the most action was only 10 minutes long and the rest of the film was shrouded in sh!t!!

There's two hours I'll never get back.

Avoid at all costs. I really need something to redeem this sh!t fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Saw the taking of Pelham 123 last night, Very predictable but it had a bit of charm to it. John travolta and Denzel Washington were excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Jin-Roh: Mediocre. Workable enough plot, but if felt quite hollow, I just didn't care at all about the characters. Would perhaps have been better as the series of shorts that it was going to be originally.

Commando: Similarly mediocre. Action was leaden and outdated, dialogue terrible apart from the occasional Schwarzenegger one-liner. Bennett was good for a laugh, as was the charicaturish El General baddie.

Hot Fuzz: Third time of watching. Always, always delivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

saw 'Moon' last night. I thought it was class. Anyone who likes sci fi should see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

saw 'Moon' last night. I thought it was class. Anyone who likes sci fi should see it!

Yep, saw it last week and was pretty good, if somewhat predictable and not really as surprising (maybe not the right word, but close enough) as the reviews I'd read beforehand had made it out to be, plot-wise. Worth the trip though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

davenewt wrote: »
    Yep, saw it last week and was pretty good, if somewhat predictable and not really as surprising (maybe not the right word, but close enough) as the reviews I'd read beforehand had made it out to be, plot-wise. Worth the trip though :)

Yeah will defo be buying it when its released on home vid. The only minor gripe I had about the whole film was the ending. I thought it was a little on the abrupt side but it was forgiven quickly because of the rest of the film!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Coraline: Quite good, I thought.

2.10 to Yuma: again, it was not bad, better than I had expected.

Quiet Cool - A prime slice of 80s cheese. James Remar is on top form in what amounts to little more than him taking on a town of evil drug dealers. The kills are plentiful and fun and lets be honest here, that's all we really want from this sort of film.

Flight 666 - A superior tour doc and a must for any metal fan. It's nice to see a band who go out of their way to be there for the fans and who don't put money before all else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

The Hurt Locker. Very intense movie about a bomb disposal expert in Iraq. A lot of good moments and a lot of moments that you really need to suspense disbelief. Overall worth the watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement