Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

kraggy wrote: »
    Watched this last night. Talk about an opportunity missed. Started off not too bad then continued with corny Irish Celtic Warrior bull****. And the Irish are drunks as usual according to this film.

Could have been brilliant. Shame.

Was'nt just for the film.
    In the early 1960s, Greene worked steadily as a longshoreman at the Cleveland docks years before the work was unionized by the International Longshoremen's Association (ILA). In his free time he read about Ireland and its turbulent history. He began to think of himself as a "Celtic warrior". Some writers have speculated that reading about such warriors inspired his criminal ambitions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Greene

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought that stuff was very badly handled in the film regardless. Very corny. Nearly completely derailed (along with Vinnie Jones) an otherwise solid enough and entertaining film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

reminded me af the goonies cos of the kids being the main stars, worth a watch though

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

I watched it yesterday. What a film. It's my favorite film of the summer so far and by far.

It reminds me a little of a roman epic in which the slaves revolt, made all the more impressive because the slaves have little or no dialogue. They had to express themselves through physicality.

The script is unbelievably clever. There are things planted in the first act that don't pay off until after the credits roll. It is very close to perfect, by which I mean everything makes perfect sense. It is very hard to pick holes in it.

I managed to read an early draft treatment for it a couple of years ago. It was amazing, but it went through so many drafts and spent so long in development I was sure they were going to ruin it. They didn't.

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow today: first time I've seen the whole thing. Totally preposterous and over the top, and all the better for it, since it's a homage to the pulp Sci-Fi of the 1930s and '50s. Gwyneth Paltrow was the star, in period clothes and makeup, and Jude Law was ... well, less annoying than usual. Some annoying plot holes, though e.g. at one point their clothes are burned because of contamination, and they had no spares; we see Polly trying on a new coat, but after that they were back in the same clothes as before.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

I watched it yesterday. What a film. It's my favorite film of the summer so far and by far.

It reminds me a little of a roman epic in which the slaves revolt, made all the more impressive because the slaves have little or no dialogue. They had to express themselves through physicality.

The script is unbelievably clever. There are things planted in the first act that don't pay off until after the credits roll. It is very close to perfect, by which I mean everything makes perfect sense. It is very hard to pick holes in it.

I managed to read an early draft treatment for it a couple of years ago. It was amazing, but it went through so many drafts and spent so long in development I was sure they were going to ruin it. They didn't.

9/10
    Watched it last night and I really disagree

I loved the start of it but it faded badly.

Would give it a 6/10 myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Little foxes - famous Bette Davis movie set in 1900 in the Deep South where she plots to steal from her rich but ill husband. There's no way this movie would improve with a remake!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work

A documentary that follows Joan Rivers around for a year.
    Didn't like this at all. I suppose it hinges on whether you like her or not, as a person. I didn't. I'm not going to point out what I felt her character flaws are but because I did not like the type of person she is I did not like the documentary.

Conan O Brien did something similar recently in Conan O Brien Can't Stop. His was much better. He did come across as prciky sometimes, but at least you could see why he was acting that way.

I still really like Joan Rivers' comedy though. I'm still a fan. It's just if she ever invited me around for dinner I would politely decline.

2/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

The Beaver

Mel Gibson plays a manic depressive in this Jodie Foster co-starred & directed tale.
    Gibson is outstanding as a suicidal business owner & husband that can only find his voice through the use of a puppet.
    Should be serious Oscar nods for Gibson here, he even sleeps the aforementioned lesbian Jew to wash away his previous sins.

Best lead male performance I've seen since There Will be Blood.
    8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Season of the Witch. Nick Cage and Ron Peralman.
    It was a hell of a lot better then I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Your Highness and was expecting it to be pathetic but it was actually quite funny and I enjoyed it.

Natalie Portman looks fairly awesome in it too

The knack - the '60s British movie (not the rock band). Bad French new wave rip off with three lads all chasing Rita Tushingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I watched Step Brothers for the millionth time the other night and I still laughed non stop. Love that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Rise of Planet of the Apes
    Better than Planet of the Apes (2001) IMO.
    A competent film(prequel) that is well done,and while overall I enjoyed it ,I am hoping the sequel will step it up a couple of notches.Liked the way the virus idea was handled.
    Let the battle commence:)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Sucker Punch.... th___009worffacepalm.gif

Two hours of my life I'll never get back

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Super
    Unlike the majority on here it didn't float my boat at all. IMO, the plot was hackneyed, the OTT violence was actually a little boring and the scene where
    the lead character is raped and it's presented as a funny thing
    , left a sour taste in my mouth.

Submarine
    This I loved. At the beginning I was thinking that it was basically Catcher in the Rye in Wales (and it was to an extent) but there was so much more to it. I like how you can simultaneously think he's a little twat but also identify with him, having being a teenager once yourself. Richard Ayoade has a fantastic eye and the score is spot on, really brings the emotional impact home. Talented bastards all round.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Night & Fog in Japan:

Fantastic film from Nagisa Oshima. A cynical, regretful look at the first decade and a half of post-war Japan. A powerful critique of the student movement and their constant struggle with radical ideas. Clearly a very personal work from the director. But the style is what really impresses. The film is full of inventive, unusual tracking shots, pans and long takes. Characters are often shown in extreme, powerful close-ups. A very theatrical use of light makes for stunning scenes: there are often pitch black scenes with a spotlight centred on the important characters in the scene. It's sometimes hard to keep track of all the characters, but there are still surprising and engaging revelations throughout. My only major problem with it was a somewhat lacklustre DVD transfer. But otherwise it still emerges as a unique, modern achievement fifty years later, and one that constantly challenges cinematic and narrative conventions. Oshima is certainly one of Japanese cinema's true revolutionaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

After hearing eternal references, I finally saw the princess bride the weekend.

Oh. My. God.

I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a film that much.
    I still cant understand why it was so good. It should have been a giant block of chedder, and it is a bit I suppose, but it has such great charm its impossible not to love it. Great comedy, great cast, just so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

watched source code last night,very enjoyable film with a very interesting story on time travel.i didnt fully understand the ending where spoiler
    jake gyleenhals characters sub conscious is able to enter into a parallel universe where he stops the bomb and basically live in a different univere.but what im not sure about is the body that gyleenhals sub conscious takes over,is that person effictively dead?
    then again maybe im completely wrong about the way the film ended.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Jimdagym wrote: »
    After hearing eternal references, I finally saw the princess bride the weekend.

Oh. My. God.

I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a film that much.
    I still cant understand why it was so good. It should have been a giant block of chedder, and it is a bit I suppose, but it has such great charm its impossible not to love it. Great comedy, great cast, just so good.
    that-word-inigo-montoya-word-think-means-princess-bride-mand-demotivational-poster-1260739585.jpg

• Advertisement

gave up after an hour pure crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

At Close Range: Penn pulls off a great performance, Walken is electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

City of God - Very very good, entertaining movie. 9/10
    Kontroll - Dark, kinda psychological about Hungarian underground. 7/10
    12 Angry men - Nothing needs to be said. 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

The Happening: Potentailly interesting plot butchered. Awful film with hammiest acting ever from Mark Wahlberg.

Children of Men: Heard good things but found it a borefest.

Frost/Nixon: Thankfully ended the week on a good note with this one. How does Martin Sheen manage to pull off likenesses for 3 different biopics!!

Night & Fog in Japan:
    But the style is what really impresses.
    Isn't it mostly set in one room with everyone standing and arguing? Impressive all right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nolanger wrote: »
    Isn't it mostly set in one room with everyone standing and arguing? Impressive all right.

Yes, it is mostly set in a small number of locations, but the visuals and soundtrack are extremely inventive and stylish (I'm not sure why you quoted that section of my post?) within these theatrical confines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watched Quiz Show, after getting a recommendation from someone here on boards. It really was an entertaining and facinating film. Turturo was brilliant. Never seen him like that before. Usually has the over the top roll, ala Transformers.

good film worth a watch 8/10, must find some nzt now :D:D:D

swat team action with steve austin, good for a b movie, just turn off the brain and enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

second time watching this loved it! and usually not a fan of horrors

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement