Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ya, It's one of my favorite films too. It's just so enchanting (unlike that film Enchanted)

I keep toying with the idea of reading the book, but I love the film so much I fear it will ruin it.

You should read the book, its really quit clever, parts of it take place in Goldman's "real" life, I don't think it ruined the film at all, it's a perfect companion to it actually :)

Best film ever btw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Last Year in Marienbad:

Like most New Wave films, I both loved and detested this film. On one hand, the atmosphere, music and cinematography are deliriously stunning. Plus there's a sense of fun in the very funny gambling scenes. The rest of the film though is more interesting in hindsight than it is watching the damn thing. Like Hiroshima Mon Amour (only other Resnais film I've seen) it's largely a dialogue between a man and a woman. Reality and fiction are blurred and uncertain. An interesting premise with some haunting moments, but all too often dangerously obtuse, up itself and with a serious disregard for the audience. I hate saying pretentious, but here it's appropriate.

Yet it's still oddly fascinating, and I'd actually recommend it despite Resnais' contempt for accessibility. It's a rule breaker and an oddity, although one youre almost glad to leave. Nice to see in the cinema though, walkouts and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

Twilight Zone The Movie (1983)

the "gremlin on the wing" bit still as brilliant as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

The Green Man = it's really good :)
    What about Bob = awesome fun

@movie fest!
    Fright Night - I was surprized to enjoy this so much
    Drive - Wow, go see this when it comes out, I'd watch it again.
    The Change Up - Some Lol's but meh over all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Knuckle

I really enjoyed this film. Filmed over 12 years by Ian Plamer who follows bare knuckle fighting in Ireland, and the Quinn McDonagh's feud with the Joyces and to lesser extent the Nevins. For some reason James comes across likable, as do most of the people in it. There LOL moments that actually come the travellers themselves. A lot of the film is shot handheld.There are some bit's subtitled to understand what some of the travellers are saying. There is some violence that will put you off, as two men walked out yesterday but overall a very well made film.

Watched this tonight and enjoyed it. Quite funny in parts but does show the never-ending feud between the Quinn McDonagh's and the Joyces. It doesn't really have a conclusion of sorts but given it's topic it's all the more meaningful, given that these wars between the clans will never end.

A great insight into bare-knuckle fighting and the reasons why they happen, what the community think of them, plus I didn't realise that Ian Palmer was responsible for uploading alot of the those videos on YouTube.

Only problem I had with it was the audio mix which was when the narrator spoke over footage it wasn't lowered which left it hard to understand what he was saying in some instances. Otherwise, a good watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Did you guys spot Arnie in it? :pac:

No whereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You should read the book, its really quit clever, parts of it take place in Goldman's "real" life, I don't think it ruined the film at all, it's a perfect companion to it actually :)

Best film ever btw

Ya I will definitely read the book now, thanks.

Everything must go is out on dvd and blu ray in America. Can't remember if it got a cinema release over here yet. I don't think so. But I would wait for it to come out over here. It's a good enough film but only worth a rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just got back from Super 8 and really enjoyed it. Well worth a watch if you've not seen it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Daniel Craig and Harrison ford are not bad in this ,but overall the movie is just watchable ,nothing special.As it says on the tin,theres cowboys,aliens and some indians,but thats about it .
    Once was enough,won't need to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Perfect Sense

Simple story, disease breaks out and over time people start losing their senses one by one. The movie deals with how we cope and how we overcome these losses. Ewan McGregor and Eva Green are fantastic in this movie, this is definitely one of my faves of this year. Oh, and Eva Green :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Conquest of the Planet of the Apes on Channel 4 lastnight, I was interested to see it adter enjoying Rise.... so much as I was aware this mirrored some elements of that story. It seemed like a pretty low budget afair, but the make-up was pretty good for the time, I didn't think the story flowed to well but Roddy McDowall gives a pretty good performance as Caesar which more or less carries the whole film(not unlike Rise in that respect!). It seemed a lot more heavy handed in it's social commentary than the newer one but that's something to be admired considering when this came out. The ape uprising looks pretty naff by todays standards but if you can set that aside then its not a bad film really. I'd be interested to see the previous instalment Escape from the Planet of the Apes after seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched POTC-On Stranger Tides,the series has really lost it's way.Found it hard to stay interested in the overlong runtime.The first movie had action,comedy and a freshness but now it's time to put the saga to an end.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Everything must go
    AKA
    Punch drunk Ferrell

I have to say I enjoyed it. I could also see why people would hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hootanany wrote: »
    No whereabouts
    As far as I remember he was one of the henchmen of a gangster guy or someone like that.
    It was only his second film or something.

Once Upon a Time in the West - Fantastic Sergio Leone, opening 15 mins were great.

Stiletto - Cheesy female assassin seeks revenge on gangsters story, but it has Stana Katic as the sexy killer :D also Tom Berenger and Michael Biehn as the gangsters.

Machete Maidens Unleasehed! - Documentary about the exploitation films produced in the Philippines from the 50s up to Apocalypse Now, lots of T&A, explosions and monsters.
    Also a midget secret agent called Weng Weng! Check him out on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EiHxQ8RhcQ :D

Source Code - Not bad, Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't too annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Let me in

Have been reluctant to watch this for a while now due to the luke warm reviews it recieved upon its release. I saw the original when it came out and like many people, I loved it. I thnk the consensus on the remake was that if you saw the original dont bother. But I watched the remake last night and I have to say I thought it was magnificient. A great film in its own right. The acting was superb, that girl, the one from kickass is an incredible actress. The kid who played Owen was excellent aswell. And I think the two central perfromances was what made this film stand out. Had they been two annoying child actors it wouldnt have worked.
    It looked the part aswell, very atmospheric photography. The whole tone of the film was spot on. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Gigantic. Paul Dano and Zooey Deschanel. It was very meh. Dano is a bit of a bore and the dialogue between the two is so dreary. Struggled through it. Wouldn't really recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rise of planet of the Apes....enjoyed it a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Kill Bill Volume 1 last night, hadn't seen it in a good few years, and was as good as I remembered. Tarantino's style is so strange yet somehow enthralling. I'm not usually a fan of that kind of that style of directing but he somehow gets away with it.

Looking forward to tonight and Volume 2, which I haven't even seen yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I watched Bad Boy Bubby there a while ago. A very weird, but funny movie.

'You're a lovely woman Flo!'

Daemos wrote: »
    Kill Bill Volume 1 last night, hadn't seen it in a good few years, and was as good as I remembered. Tarantino's style is so strange yet somehow enthralling. I'm not usually a fan of that kind of that style of directing but he somehow gets away with it.

Looking forward to tonight and Volume 2, which I haven't even seen yet

Volume 2 is a lot less action orientated, feels more like a western than the first movie, hope you enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

RopeDrink wrote: »

Legend - Seems that Xtra Vision have the uncut version which was nice as I always saw the cut version, though sadly it was also the version without the Tangerine Dream soundtrack which took a LOT of magic out of this classic. Used to love watching that movie as a child so it brought back memories ;)

I prefer the Jerry Goldsmith score myself, was it dvd or bluray? didnt think the unct dvd was ever released over here I had to get it from the states.

heres the two different opening scene scores for those who havent heard the difference:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Just finished watching Being John Malkovich. It's really bizarre and original, but it's excellent, a bit like John Malkovich himself. Malkovich really is a legend for doing the film. I'd definitely recommend it.

Just finished watching Being John Malkovich. It's really bizarre and original, but it's excellent, a bit like John Malkovich himself. Malkovich really is a legend for doing the film. I'd definitely recommend it.

You need to watch Adaptation next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You need to watch Adaptation next :)

I've heard about that one too. It's on the watchlist!

RopeDrink wrote: »

Faster - "The Rock"'s latest offering - Actually really enjoyed it despite him having little to say and keeping the same face plastered on his head throughout the whole film - A relatively serious albeit corny revenge movie but pretty enjoyable despite being predictable and having some weird, seemingly pointless aspects to it (
    The whole thing with the other 'assasin' in the loop, what was the point?
    ) - Billy Bob Thornton being BBThornton as usual - Watchable.

Quite enjoyed that. Minimalist in a way but full of content. Although it was
    nearly laughable at one point when he was shot in precisely the same place as before
    . Kind of ruined it for me, but again watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Jesus Camp: A 90 minute argument for why people should need a licence to have kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

a film about a car that has a mind of its own, and changes shape.....
    load of crap, poor story and the acting was even worse :(:(:(:(:(
    avoid this film like the plague
    sorry its super hybrid, not really super http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152827/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Barry Lyndon blu ray. Haven't sat through this in years. A great film given a very good transfer on blu ray.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

rednik wrote: »
    Barry Lyndon blu ray. Haven't sat through this in years. A great film given a very good transfer on blu ray.
    Yeah, it looks magnificent on Blu-ray. I was so worried they were going to screw it up. Too bad there's no extras.

Barry Lyndon is probably Kubrick's most under-appreciated film. I love the line at the end: "They are all equal now". It always makes me laugh. Quintessential Kubrick.

• Advertisement

True Grit. It's very good but I felt the ending came up very quickly. Liked all characters involved. Will be watching it again, feels it needs the second watching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement