Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

jcf wrote: »
    Limitless -- absolute TWADDLE .... Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish....
    Cheers, I think i'll dodge that bullet so:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

don ramo wrote: »
    working my way true the mission impossibles, watched part 1 there, its actually better than i remember (i havent seen it in over 10 years), but i nearly choked on a biscut i was eating when the
    helicopter entered the tunnel and flew for nearly 2 miles inside it
    , other than that im looking forward to part 2 which i havent seen since its original release on DVD or was it VHS:),

You're some masochist! If you haven't seen it already try the original 1960/70s Mission Impossible TV series and you will appreciate what an abomination the movies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You're some masochist! If you haven't seen it already try the original 1960/70s Mission Impossible TV series and you will appreciate what an abomination the movies are.

pff, M:I-3 was one of the best action movies in years. best villain of the series too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

watched super yesterday. it has dwight from the american office in it. I wasnt expecting much, but it ended up being really great. If you liked kick ass you will prob love super too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Watched Tucker & Dale vs Evil based on the positive reviews above. Really good film. Can't believe i never even heard of it. Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Buried - Good film, Ryan Reynolds does quite well considering his environment for the entire film, however I just found the whole concept a bit upsetting, I'm a sap!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Everything Must Go: A more serious affair for Will Ferrel. He is pretty good in it actually, it's not an aazing film or anything, but it's well made, solidly acted and pretty satisfying. Probably won't watch it again. Oh and you get to look at Rebecca Hall's lovely face.

The Beaver: Better than I expected. Mel Gibson is decent in it, it's quite dark and not really all that funny. Good supporting cast too.
    The happy ending felt a bit forced but didn't really take away from the film.
    Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The Royal Tenenbaums - I thought this was a great film. :) I mean Wes Anderson definitely has a quirky sensibility but overall I found this film to be quite genuine and not at all forced. I thought Hackman's character really helped ground it because he's really just a normal guy trying to reconnect with his family. I thought the
    suicide
    scene was pretty powerful. I wasn't affected at all by Juno which I found to be a bit forced so I think this shows that Anderson isn't quirky for the sake of quirky. His characters might have that element but they have a human element too so when something bad happens you can empathise with them. One part I loved in particularly good was his use of camera work in the scene where Owen Wilson tells Paltrow that he's no longer in love with her. Instead of using cuts the camera just moves and establishes new shots while maintaining one long continuous shot. I've never seen anything like that done before so I was impressed. Overall, very enjoyable movie. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Thor http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/

I'd say one of the best movies I'we seen in a while. Really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Romeo is Bleeding

Stylish '90s film noir staring Gary Oldman. I always liked this film. Lena Olin is unforgettable as one of the best femme fatales/psycho bitches I've ever seen in an American film.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    pff, M:I-3 was one of the best action movies in years. best villain of the series too.

Out of interest how would you rate the MI movies versus the Bourne Trilogy?

Out of interest how would you rate the MI movies versus the Bourne Trilogy?

completely different films in fairness, Bourne is a real world set spy/espionage thriller with action scenes, MI is ott action and more of a popcorn affair. I do love the Bourne trilogy though.

Bronson- strange movie in places but Hardy is abolsutely immense in it, superb performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Watched the Lord of the Rings : Fellowship of the Ring extended edition for the first time in about 2 years. God I love these films.

going to watch the Two Towers late :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

2001: A Space Odyssey - Woah. Visually stunning I must say. HAL has to be one of the most brilliant villains ever. There's no wit or clever lines just pure cold blooded ruthlessness. The movie was a sensual feast from start to end. I didn't find it boring at all I thought the silence added to the isolated atmosphere of the whole thing. The ending was pretty much a mind**** but I'd love to see that on the big screen. I really think Kubrick just wanted to turn it into a visually stunning ending because that serves what the rest of the movie was much better than a dialogue filled piece of exposition. I think he knows that if people really want to understand they can read the book. The apes were very cool. :) This came out the same year as Planet of the Apes and I remember reading that Kubrick was annoyed that the ape effects in that were being applauded and not much was being said about his. :p I'm gonna have to give it a 9/10 because there's no other movie out there like this. It's a unique sci-fi film that trumps most of the others.

Jako8 wrote: »
    2001: A Space Odyssey - Woah. Visually stunning I must say. HAL has to be one of the most brilliant villains ever. There's no wit or clever lines just pure cold blooded ruthlessness. The movie was a sensual feast from start to end. I didn't find it boring at all I thought the silence added to the isolated atmosphere of the whole thing. The ending was pretty much a mind**** but I'd love to see that on the big screen. I really think Kubrick just wanted to turn it into a visually stunning ending because that serves what the rest of the movie was much better than a dialogue filled piece of exposition. I think he knows that if people really want to understand they can read the book. The apes were very cool. :) This came out the same year as Planet of the Apes and I remember reading that Kubrick was annoyed that the ape effects in that were being applauded and not much was being said about his. :p I'm gonna have to give it a 9/10 because there's no other movie out there like this. It's a unique sci-fi film that trumps most of the others.

its reportedly because people thought the ones in 2001 were real apes, its why it didnt get an oscar nomination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

the god father trilogy!best cast in a movie to date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Dead Poets Society - Great film, reminded me of my own eccentric English LC teacher who had a strong and reassuring belief that everyone has something to offer. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I saw The Bourne Identity last week, and am watching The Bourne Supremacy now, both off the TV. When I saw the second film before, I missed the first few minutes, and this is the first time the plot is making sense to me. I didn't get Bourne's connection to Berlin, or what Ward Abbott (Brian Cox) was doing. You have to juggle three separate CIA operations, one defunct (except in Bourne's head), one active above board, and active under the table.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    I saw The Bourne Identity last week, and am watching The Bourne Supremacy now, both off the TV. When I saw the second film before, I missed the first few minutes, and this is the first time the plot is making sense to me. I didn't get Bourne's connection to Berlin, or what Ward Abbott (Brian Cox) was doing. You have to juggle three separate CIA operations, one defunct (except in Bourne's head), one active above board, and active under the table.

Yeah, I have the boxed set and it's only since getting it that I have really been able to get a handle on the whole plot. It's great stuff - makes Bruce Willis in Die Hard .1. (which I really like) look really slow moving. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Into the Wild...good film, I thought. Early on, I started to think 'this better not be one of those self-indulgent things whereby someone goes off trying to find themselves or some Eat, Pray, Love, Vomit type of exercise', but it didn't really feel like that. I'd like to see Sean Penn direct again.

If there's anything that didn't really work for me it was the friendship with the old guy who served in the army, or at least how it started off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Jesus H Christ - T W A D D L E ! !

This is a film that needs to be deleted from existence - Were Lucas and Spielberg on something while "writing" this ? seriously ?

Maybe they did it as a bet , like "Can we really get this ****E on the big screen?

And what the hell was John Hurt doing there???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Turn your brain off and enjoy.I liked this big time.A good mix of bad guys and girls, and some nice set pieces.But don't expect an indepth story or any major character developement.
    Conan .......lots of fighting, blood ,decapitations ,etc,etc.

I Live,I Love,I Slay:D.
    Great craic!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

the punisher, very entertaining.
    meet the spartans, a bit stupid but funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Marriage Italian style - famous but rare movie from the 1960s about a hooker trying to marry one of her clients. Didn't like it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I watched Smart People starring Dennis Quaid and Ellen Page, along with Sarah Jessica-Parker. I enjoyed it. It dragged in places but a fun film. I've liked Dennis Quaid and Page in various films but I thought Parker was a little miscast. Other than that, it's a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Leon: The Professional. Quality film, really original plot. Jean Reno and Gary Oldman are superbly cast and Natalie Portman is excellent. Some magnificent scenes.

Zoolander. Just great fun. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Mirrors
    - with Kiefer Sutherland (Jack Bauer really), it's like a stupid person trying to get away with mensa membership by dressing up as a banana. Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

He got game...

the usual great performance from Denzel, a few good characters, like sweetness the pimp, and a good story.

It was enjoyable watching Spike Lee's work as well, with his unusual camera work, colourful settings and near constant mood music.

Defo worth the re-watch:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I watched hostel there a few days ago. Some film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement