Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Only new here, is it bad etuquette to post a link to my blog where I have some films reviewed?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Just watched The Stepford Wives remake, one of the worst films ive ever seen. It made absolutely zero sense, plot holes all over the shop. One minute the women are robots then the next minute they have chips in their brains which controls them.

**** on a stick!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ben Moore wrote: »
    Only new here, is it bad etuquette to post a link to my blog where I have some films reviewed?

Ben

Indeed it is. If we gave free reign to all bloggers the place would just be full of 'em. We'd rather encourage discussion here than free hits for others! A link in a signature is fine, but not on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Indeed it is. If we gave free reign to all bloggers the place would just be full of 'em. We'd rather encourage discussion here than free hits for others! A link in a signature is fine, but not on thread.

Thanks johnny, only here a few hours and already i'm addicted!!

Here's the cut and paste from my blog.

Battle Los Angeles was a cheesy Gung Ho litany of war torn Los Angeles under fire from aliens, tense and some very exciting skirmish scenes in a city blown apart by an off world invasion. The actors seemed like terrified well trained marines but in the end it seemed like all the money was poured into the special effects while plot, dialogue and character development were killed off in the first act.

Limitless I did enjoy, a man strangled by writers block is offered an insight into his own brain and takes it with addictive consequences, the first two thirds were compelling but the ending was a little weak, enjoyable all the same.

Super 8 is J.J. Abram's (creator of Lost) homage to Producer Steven Speilberg, it has many hallmarks of ET, Close Encounters of a Third Kind and even The Goonies. It's the old story boy and his friends are making a zombie movie, boy meet girl and alien with a train crash to rival The Fugitive. He tugs at the heart strings but not as much as Speilberg would have. Still catch it on the big screen if you can.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the best movie I have seen in a while and you'll know this if you have read any of my facebook posts or tweets of late. A crisp updating of the 1970's classic series, more moving than Super 8, more exciting than Battle Los Angeles and it has one plotline quite similar to Limitless that is used to better effect, if I go on anymore I'll just spoil it for you.

The Fog (remake), well all I can say is I wish I mist it.... see what i did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I loved the soundtrack to Hannah :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bashing - a sombre, concise and effective drama about institutionalised bullying and social taboos in modern, rural Japan. Surprisingly 'raw' in terms of visuals for a Japanese film - there's a few nice stylistic touches, but the handheld style is more natural and grimy than most. Focusing on a woman who is cast out by society following her return from being held hostage in Iraq (a peculiar concept for Western audiences, but one that probes the role of honour and selflessness in Japan) it's a simple film in many ways, but very effective. Great acting, confident direction and a lack of music (only the end credits feature a soundtrack): it's refreshingly efficient and honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

X-Men: First Class - I have to say I really enjoyed this, a very stylish film with a seriously awesome cast! But let's face it, I could have been watching a still of January Jones for 2 hours and I still would have loved it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Presuming you've caught 5 Centimeters Per Second johnny - maybe I'm just a heartless bastard but the only thing that kept me going was the visuals :/

I quite liked 5 Centimeters Per Second, but was a bit iffy about the final 'episode' that became a music video for some odd reason.

The director's short film Voices of a Distant Star is more impressive overall, though, well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Just watched Last Action Hero. Definitely a great Hangover/Duvet day flick. Its meant to be cheesy, its meant to be over the top, it is everything you could want in something that you don't need to pay much attention to.

The cameo's from other police officers are a great little instance that gives you one of those ahhh smiles from the corner of your mouth and the hilariousness that is Danny predicting everything Jack Slater will do and knowing so much brings it all together, plus the line at the start is just epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiNXqNxC4k

How this film did so bad on its release I dont know. another one of those big flops that have a huge cult following

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Nashville

Again, as with a lot of Altman's films, I saw this years ago and I thought it was good but not the masterpiece everybody had made it out to be. But I watched it last night and I was blown away by how great a movie it is. Its so funny, right up there with MASH. Henry Gibson is brilliant as the prickly, arrogant, self absorbed country legend. You think he's an asshole for most of the film but ultimately he shows himself to be a good man.
    Its a sad film also, when Mr. green's is told his wife has passed away its absolutley hearbreaking.
    A true classic.
    "This here aint Dallas, this is Nashville"

I watched Smart People starring Dennis Quaid and Ellen Page, along with Sarah Jessica-Parker. I enjoyed it. It dragged in places but a fun film. I've liked Dennis Quaid and Page in various films but I thought Parker was a little miscast. Other than that, it's a good film.

Very underrated film. Thomas Hayden church is brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

leposean wrote: »
    Just watched Last Action Hero. Definitely a great Hangover/Duvet day flick. Its meant to be cheesy, its meant to be over the top, it is everything you could want in something that you don't need to pay much attention to.

The cameo's from other police officers are a great little instance that gives you one of those ahhh smiles from the corner of your mouth and the hilariousness that is Danny predicting everything Jack Slater will do and knowing so much brings it all together, plus the line at the start is just epic

How this film did so bad on its release I dont know. another one of those big flops that have a huge cult following

came out the same summer as Jurassic Park, also people didnt seem to get its a spoof movie, albeit a brilliant one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Hanna - turned out to be very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Sanctum

Visually this was impressive with all the underwater camera work. But Ioan Gruffud just ruined this for me, even the young fella from Home and Away out acted him! :eek:

tunguska wrote: »
    Very underrated film. Thomas Hayden church is brilliant in it.

Nnnooooooooo! [/darthvader]

Indie-by-the-numbers nonsense. Nothing particularly wrong with it (except for its general sense of smug satisfaction with itself), but nothing right either. Performances are grand, but personally I found it about as interesting as a wall at times. Also, casting Jessica Sarah Parker as a love interest? [alarmbells]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Indie-by-the-numbers nonsense. Nothing particularly wrong with it (except for its general sense of smug satisfaction with itself), but nothing right either. Performances are grand, but personally I found it about as interesting as a wall at times. Also, casting Jessica Sarah Parker as a love interest? [alarmbells]

By the numbers maybe, but I'd rather it play safe and do something good than produce total thrash.

It was opposite for me, it kept me interested the whole way through, the dialogue and scene changes worked. It was accessible and enjoyable - especially watching the change in Quaid's character.

The fault is that it tries a little too hard. If it relaxed a little, it'd be better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Watched Grown Ups on BluRay, great movie, hilarious comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

Jason Bateman, Ryan Reynolds, Leslie Mann (Knocked Up, 40 yr old virgin, I love you man) and Olivia Wilde (Dr 13 - House)

I really enjoyed this movie. The premise was a little weird
    They pee'd into a fountain and then changed bodies
    But overall quite a good movie.

It was very funny in parts, and the relationship between Bateman and Reynolds is quite good.
    Jason Bateman has been in a few new movies lately, good to see as I thought he was awesome in (should never have been cancelled) Arrested Development.

If you're looking for a good (funny) movie you won't go far wrong with this one!

I'd agree with the Sarah Jessica Parker comment, bad miscasting. But like I said Hayden Church was great, ditto for Elen page. I know its a fairly by the numbers Indie flick but I think its a decent enough effort. I mean I've seen a fair few films that would come under the Indie banner that were trying too hard to be cool(and end up being silly) but this just about gets away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Since watching, Birdemic, I have been on a quest to see the worst movie made. This lead me to Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959). :) Bonus, Bela Lugosi plays a small part in the film. Lots of string in view, rubbish bin lids and more!

Ruu wrote: »
    Since watching, Birdemic, I have been on a quest to see the worst movie made. This lead me to Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959). :) Bonus, Bela Lugosi plays a small part in the film. Lots of string in view, rubbish bin lids and more!

I love Plan 9 and think that it has an unfair reputation as being one of the worst films ever. Ed Wood loved cinema and genuinely get that each of his films was a masterpiece and considering the heart that went into making each of them and the ingenuity he displayed its hard not to watch his films with a smile. There's actually a low, low budget remake in the works which I bet won't be a tenth as entertaining and fun as the original.

Ruu wrote: »
    Since watching, Birdemic, I have been on a quest to see the worst movie made.

Manos: The Hands of Fate is a genuine contender here. You won't be disappointed.

Just have to say, I love this thread, I get all my 'what movie will I watch next' ideas from here :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Tooth Fairy. Why Mr Rock WHY!!!!?

This is a hugely underrated movie.

Ok its not gonna be nominated for Oscars etc and it dosent need to be. Its enjoyable. You can connect with the Rock's character and Johnny Knoxville just brings an epic amount of funnyness and comedic sounds/faces/acting in general as the loveable do anything for his best friend who is a tank when your a wimp, guy.

Gonna watch Oceans 12 now, I know its meant to be the worst of the 3 movies but I think if it was on its own it could be decent so I'm going in with a very open mind

Completely forgot to mention I watched Predators this morning. Great little action flick.

Adrien Broady was very enjoyable in it. Lawerence Fishbourne is awesome also.

Really makes up for the terrible AVP and AVP 2 and the story was very much back to the ideas of how the origional Predator was and most definitely no ''Alien'' aliens was a plus

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

leposean wrote: »

Good call. I watched it last night for the first time since I was a child. Didn't much like it then but really enjoy it now. Especially the first hour where they are in the movie world. 'Iced that guy. If I can cone a phrase.'

I actually think it's one of Arnold's best films. It's a really good spoof and I didn't realise the the talent involved. Zac Penn gets a story credit, Shane Black and some other guy wrote it and John McTiernan directed it.

There are some great lines and great moments in it.

7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I watched an Australian horror movie called Primal last night. It was on Film 4. Its about a group that go camping in this remote area near to where there is a wall painting at an entrance to a cave(dont by an aboriginal some 12,000 years ago who was later beaten to death).

Anyway one of the group goes swimming, gets some leeches on her and then later that night starts getting a pretty bad fever, so bad in fact that her teeth fall out and she grows razor sharp teeth in their place and turns feral.

Q the rest of the group trying to survive etc etc. It was pretty good but the last 15 minutes where brilliant imo, everything went bat **** crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I watched X-Men First Class. Thoroughly enjoyable affair. I went in with low enough standards as the recent X-Men haven't been great but this surprised me. The shooting was very nice, some great shots. McAvoy and Fassbender had a nice rapport and chemistry throughout. I liked the historical backdrop too, the Cuban Missile Crisis, even if liberties were taken, it added to the fun of it. Recommended!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement