Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I watched X-Men First Class. Thoroughly enjoyable affair. I went in with low enough standards as the recent X-Men haven't been great but this surprised me. The shooting was very nice, some great shots. McAvoy and Fassbender had a nice rapport and chemistry throughout. I liked the historical backdrop too, the Cuban Missile Crisis, even if liberties were taken, it added to the fun of it. Recommended!

Fassbender's accent goes a bit mental at the end though

"Call me...Magnayto!"

I love Plan 9 and think that it has an unfair reputation as being one of the worst films ever. Ed Wood loved cinema and genuinely get that each of his films was a masterpiece and considering the heart that went into making each of them and the ingenuity he displayed its hard not to watch his films with a smile. There's actually a low, low budget remake in the works which I bet won't be a tenth as entertaining and fun as the original.

and if nothing else, his movies gave us Ed Wood, which was probably the last movie where Johnny Depp wasnt just being Johnny Depp, that guy could act his socks off once, needs to stop making Tim Burton movies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Just finished watching Dogma by Kevin Smith. Great film with an even better cast! Affleck & Damon have great chemistry, having Rickman as 'The voice of God' was a stroke of genius, I actually enjoyed Chris Rock for once, Jay & Silent Bob were Jay & Silent Bob - always a great laugh to watch, Linda Fiorentino was a bit annoying at times but then Hayek & Lee played their parts well. All in all fantastic movie to watch.

On a bit of a Kevin Smith buzz at the moment!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Griff the Invisible: Austrailian romantic comedy/superhero movie(sort of). Enjoyed this, it was a weird little film, like a cross between Super and Punch Drunk Love, but without any of the ultra-violence and disturbing scenes that were in Super. It's pretty much a love story about two really weird people. Ryan Kwanten and Maeve Darmody are both really good in the lead roles, much like Punch Drunk Love it's very sweet in it's own weird little way. It's not a perfect film but there is a lot of originality in it, definitely worth a watch.

Stake Land: Low budget american post-apocalyptic vampire movie. Thought this was really good, it's a decent vampire movie with a really cool vampire hunter hero in the character of Mister(who is played one of the guys who wrote it). It's pretty well done for a low budget film of this type, although I found the training montages to be corny and unecessary. Another thing that annoyed me was what they did with the villain of the peice at the end was a bit sloppy and didn't realy make any sense. It's not a dumb horror movie by any means either and its not afraid to be nasty when it wants to be. Well worth a look. Oh and Kelly McGills from Top Gun is in it, no idea it was her til the end credits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Watched House of Sand and Fog last night. Very good film starring Jennifer Connelly and Ben Kingsley. Its about a woman who gets evicted from her house which is bought by an Iranian political refugee. A truly beautiful film directed by Vadim Perelman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ Excellent film alright. It's somewhat forgotten though and doesn't get the respect it deserves. It was nominated for 3 Oscars in the same year that Seabiscuit got nominated for 7. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

gazzer wrote: »
    I watched an Australian horror movie called Primal last night ... It was pretty good but the last 15 minutes where brilliant imo, everything went bat **** crazy

Batshít crazy is right ...
    Here we have a monster that's merged with a cave (or vice versa), which sprouts tentacles and an inept (that bit gave a whole new meaning to "I hit that") rapist slug thingy so it can mate with (as well as consume) humans, all the while generating a poison that when ingested turns humans and animals into feral creatures which are completely out of control but still able to do it's bidding and bring it food and mates ... oh, and weird all-they-can-eat insects too.

Seriously, if I'd read that beforehand I'd have expected an Ed Wood film! :pac:

If anything I'd say the opposite to you ... the last 15 minutes completely ruined it for me. Formulaic with the usual loathsome, disposable characters ... obviously apart from one, there has to be one likeable player so we can
    predict accurately who will survive
    . And the first film I've ever seen where I could tell you exactly what the last word in the film would be within the first five minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The Sunset Limited
    I was like 12 Angry Men, only with just two guys, Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson, talking about religion and life after TLJ's character attempts suicide, pretty good.

^ Excellent film alright. It's somewhat forgotten though and doesn't get the respect it deserves. It was nominated for 3 Oscars in the same year that Seabiscuit got nominated for 7. :rolleyes:

Kingsley as always is excellent, and I tend to enjoy anything Jennifer Connelly is in!:) Is it just me or is the pier she's on at the end of the film the same as the one in Requiem for a Dream? It looked remarkably similar. It's one of those films that you completely forget about until you see it advertised on tv or something and you go "oh yeah that was(is supposed to be) really good". I've never seen Seabiscuit so I can't comment on that!

The Sunset Limited is an excellent film also. I nearly always enjoy screen adaptations of that kind of play. Samuel L. Jackson is his usual brilliant self.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It is isn't it? Kingsley as always is excellent, and I tend to enjoy anything Jennifer Connelly is in!:) Is it just me or is the pier she's on at the end of the film the same as the one in Requiem for a Dream? It looked remarkably similar.
    It's not the same pier, but it's the same type of shot. There's also one of her standing at the end of a pier in Dark City.

• Advertisement

It's not the same pier, but it's the same type of shot. There's also one of her standing at the end of a pier in Dark City.

Fair enough, just struck me as being very similar. Seems to be a recurring theme alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

DCDE4DE45C98425694FBDD74B0BFBFD1-0000336305-0002520700-00500L-F3200F1D46D04E46A58209DC73DB5CA4.jpg

Bought this morning and watched this afternoon. Picture quality good, not a huge difference with the dvd but still a decent upgrade considering the claustrophobic atmosphere. The sound quality is reference and overall the film is magnificent. The option is there to listen to a dubbed version or the German language which is my preferred version with subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

krudler wrote: »
    Fassbender's accent goes a bit mental at the end though

"Call me...Magnayto!"

Great point! You're right, I felt his accent wavered at times. Not his best outing but it was a minimal role with many different characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

rednik wrote: »
    DCDE4DE45C98425694FBDD74B0BFBFD1-0000336305-0002520700-00500L-F3200F1D46D04E46A58209DC73DB5CA4.jpg

Bought this morning and watched this afternoon. Picture quality good, not a huge difference with the dvd but still a decent upgrade considering the claustrophobic atmosphere. The sound quality is reference and overall the film is magnificent. The option is there to listen to a dubbed version or the German language which is my preferred version with subtitles.

Superb movie - I have it on DVD and always watch it in German. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Incendies 2010
    Almost a brilliant film, the main problem is that
    the whole thing hangs on a ridiculously absurd twist that just doesnt quite hold up. It doesnt help that the Abu Tarek character looks too way young.

But still it's a very compelling story and one of the better films i've seen this year. The mother and daughter are both fantastic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Watched 'House of Sand and Fog' as well. Very good, if a little OTT in some areas.

The best thing about the film is that there are no clear lines drawn among the characters, although the viewer may get the feeling that Kingsley's character is being set up as some sort of bad guy at the beginning. By the end of the film, the actions that befall him are the most terrible.

I like Jennifer Connoly in some of her roles, but she seems to be getting cast these days as a sort of "rent a pretty tragedy". Some of her characters, like her role in 'House of Sand and Fog', are women who have reached the nadir of life, but she still remains too attractive to be real. I never really got the sense that she was the ticking time bomb, alcohoholic mess that she was supposed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Dr Jeckyl and sister Hyde - Hammer film about a scientist who turns into a woman. The bodysnatchers Burke and Hare appear 40 years before the recent movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Watched something that I should not have seen last night. When it gets an official release over here I will go and pay to see it. And probably buy it when the price goes down.

Red State

It's pretty good. It takes some unexpected turns, which unfortunately means that it is a bit all over the place. At least it's no Cop Out. I would not describe it as a horror.
    That's all I'm going to say about it to stay spoiler free.

It's lucky to get:
    6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971). I am beginning to like this genre of horror. Well put together, the whole film.
    The creepy violin playing

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Last Boy Scout: First time seeing it. They sure don't make them like that anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thor - train wreck of a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Hanna - The trailer was very deceptive. I didn't hate it or anything like that but it did bore me. Great performance from Saoirse Ronan though.

Animal Kingdom.
    Excellent film about a young man born into an Australian family of criminals. Ben Mendelsohn and Mirrah Foulkes in particular are superb. Guy Pearce is probably the biggest name.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Last Boy Scout: First time seeing it. They sure don't make them like that anymore :)

one of the best buddy action flicks ever, so underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Hall Pass last night - while inebriated - some funny bits in it but overall thought it was fairly mediocre

Watched Never Back Down also but I like that movie - it's 100% cheese but I love it - like a good Steven Segal movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Hanna - Good central performance from Saoirse Ronan, but utterly preposterous, with dreadful, two-dimensional characters, plotholes you could drive a bus through and an irritating soundtrack. Disappointing.
    Scre4m - Autopilot revamp of the franchise, totally lacking in originality or humour. Okay, they reunited three of the original cast, but that's hardly justification for a by-the-numbers retread.
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Surprisingly enjoyable, with a great performance from Andy Serkis. The trailer stupidly compresses the entire film into three minutes though, so the whole film was practically mapped out as it went along.
    The Skin I Live In - Hugely disappointing. A B-Movie masquerading as high art. Almodovar has become practically untouchable, from a critical perspective, but this was absolute hokum. Had great potential, and then got ridiculous. Even Hanna had more basis in reality. Awful.
    The Lincoln Lawyer - Surprisingly solid thriller with Matthew McConaughey taking his shirt off playing a fast-talking, shrewd lawyer who operates out of his car. Excellent support from William H. Macy. Not even a poor, overacted performance from Ryan Philippe could mar what was a decent drama, far exceeding my (admittedly low) expectations.
    Unknown - Another example of the trailer giving too much away, but still enjoyable, generic, Eurocentric action thriller with Liam Neeson and The Cardboard Queen herself, January Jones. Nice support from Bruno Ganz and (in an all-too-brief role) Sebastian Koch.
    Friends With Benefits - Marginally better-than-average romcom that runs out of steam at the end of the second act when the joke ratio plummets, but is kept fairly engaging by the two leads. Decent post-credits add-on too.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Manic- really good film. It's up on youtube too. Always a positive. Stars a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt, a young Zooey Deschanel and a , well younger Don Cheadle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Devi - impressive Indian movie from the '60s about woman believed to be a goddess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Now from all the reviews and things id heard of this film I really wasnt expecting much at all from it but said feck it ill give it a chance and Im glad I did. I thought Michael Douglas and Josh Brolin both stood out for there performances with the rest of the cast also making a good showing of themselves. There was a nice few twists and truns in the film to keep you interested some of which were fairly predictable I must admit. But overall I thought well worth a watchand wold reccommend it.

• Advertisement

Insidious - Thought this was okay, wasn't as scary as I heard it was.
    I actually laughed when the demon was in that workshop as the kid is being rescued!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement