Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    one of the best buddy action flicks ever, so underrated

Some great dialogue and one liners in it too.

"I'm asshole, he's fcukface" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Really enjoyed this, great movie and Andy Serkis was amazing in his role. Only letdown was the ending which I found poor.

Inside (À l'intérieur) - Fantastic horror movie. I went in assuming it would be goreless, and mainly psychological. How wrong I was!
    Brutally nasty in the gore department, but never felt like it was done just for the sake of being gory. Both lead actresses were terrific, and I knew it had me by the gonads when I was literally on the edge of my seat urging the heroine to escape while I shouted at the screen "go go go" and flailed my arms about :D

Final Destination 1, 2, & 3 - Watched the three of these with the girlfriend while on holidays. They're fun for what they are - Turn-Your-Brain-Off, unchallenging horror rollercoasters. (No pun intended)
    You won't come away morally or intellectually challenged by them, but they serve their purpose.

Session 9 - Seen this on a 'Top Horrors of the Decade' list and figured I'd give it a whirl, thinking it would be immense and ****-my-pants scary. Not very scary, and I found the plot quite weak, to be honest. Good performances couldn't save it sadly.

The Mist - Wasn't expecting much from this, and was shocked at how excellent it was. The cast were by and large very very good, and the plot was marvellous (which is to be expected from Mr. King!).
    The first CGI sequence was a bit poor, but it never really detracted from the movie once it got going. Ending was brave, if a little daft, but I admire it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hanna - Good central performance from Saoirse Ronan, but utterly preposterous, with dreadful, two-dimensional characters, plotholes you could drive a bus through and an irritating soundtrack. Disappointing.

While I know Hanna wasn't a great movie I still think that the soundtrack was one of the better things about the film tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Thor - train wreck of a movie.

lol i loved it, no brainer movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Now id never heard of it but its on Sky Premiere this week and thought sure ill give it a chance. Its an English film about a kid who has a tough upbringing suffering from abuse now some of the scenes in his younger years were a bit hard to watch. The actors all do a great job especially his mother played ny Natasha McElhone who is really believable as the nasty piece of work she plays. Its all the more interesting when you know the film is based on a true story, think ill be investing in the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Red State - Kevin Smith's foray into "horror". Seemed more like a thriller movie, actually.

Started off interesting but eventually descended into a ho-hum movie with too many cliched moments that it just lost it's appeal and impact by the end. The feelings about the Westboro Baptist Church and Waco are made all too evident.

Could've been so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just saw trollhunter there

excellent film something "like" colovefield, shot documentary style, but a better film in my opinion (i liked cloverfield), 3 college student are investigating a bear attack and follow a person called hans who they suspect as a poacher, killing bears without a licence in norway which is illegal,

needless to say hes not a bear poacher:D

great film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

one of the best buddy action flicks ever, so underrated

willis = how much those pants cost

wyans = 700 dollars

willis = they dont have a like a tv in em or something

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Trollhunter.....

didn't enjoy it at all...a real dumbed down walk through of a movie, all it was short of was arrows pointing to what u should be lookin at...weak story...annoying characters..the girl with the mic keeps giving this stupid look into the camera!!!!

It had some good effects but could've been much better overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Four Lions. Really enjoyed it. Black comedy about five hapless British suicide bombers. Some true laugh out loud moments while maintaining a real tragic edge. I highly recommend it.

• Advertisement

Apocalypto - Thought this was an excellent film overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972). Sequel with Vincent Price as Phibes. I was actually cheering for him throughout the film and smiled at the ending
    singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow, while going through the river.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Agreed, even though I wouldn't be a fan of films with subtitles, this one is a notable exception.

Also seen "My left foot" recently - great performance by Daniel Day-Lewis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Father and Son by Alexander Sokurov http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHBRdI_pvok

Loose Canons by Ferzan Ozpetek www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoHtIKBZUbM

The Spanish Prisoner by David Mamet www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPF-5KNmqq4

Eyes Wide Open by Haim Tabakman www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnKfBvlZAcM

Firelight by William Nicholson www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhrbSuMgJiY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mad Detective - odd but very entertaining detective drama from Hong Kong. The twist is the titular protagonist is mentally unstable, but also has supernatural abilities that allow him to see the 'true personalities' of people around him. It sounds silly, but it embraces its absurd concept with a sense of fun and playfulness. There's some particularly nice visualisation of the multiple personalities (notably in two action scenes that have a heavy emphasis on shadows and mirrors, respectively). Weighing in at under an hour and a half, it doesn't overstay its welcome, and there are some very funny scenes where our Mad hero reconstructs crimes with himself as the victim in order to get inside the mind of the murderers.

Strange, but a fun and original take on a well worn genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Sphere (1998)
    (Dustin hoffman, sharon stone and Samuel L. Jakcson)

Meh. First half of this movie is really good. Second half is just boring.

Forever Young (1992)
    (Mel Gibson and jamie Curtis)

Good movie. I like it. Havent seen it in years. From on TV earlier tonight. For those who havent seen it, do so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Failan

A pathetic washed-up gangster starts to question his life after he receives news of the penniless immigrant Chinese girl that he married for visa purposes. A heartbreaking romance with a twist: they never meet. Choi Min-sik (better known as Oldboy) is brilliant as always, as is the beautiful Cecilia Cheung as the title character. Films this good have no right being so obscure. It’s 10 years old and still hasn’t gotten a UK/Irish release.

Oh and the South Korean poster, which features the two leads rollicking in a field together, is hilariously misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Centurion - Actually enjoyed it. It is not going to win any Oscras but is a good popcorn flick which happily passed a few hours for me and two hours of Michael Fassbender cannot be a bad thing. !!

Guess Who ? - RTE's movie last night. A few good comedy moments but it has been done before but was ok.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Rewatched Sunshine lastnight on Film 4, really an outstanding film regardless of the flaws of the final third and one of the best musical scores of the last ten years.

Also watched Friends With Benefits, as romcoms go its pretty good, both Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis are very likeable in their roles, there's some good support from Woody Herrelson too. The first hour is pretty funny and it does quite a good job of even parodying the genre a little over all although the final third is pretty conventional rom-com stuff, but presented in an ironic wink-wink sort of way in some parts. If your missus drags you along to it don't despair, it's pretty enoyable over all. Funny cameo from Shaun White aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

irishh_bob wrote: »
    willis = how much those pants cost

wyans = 700 dollars

willis = they dont have a like a tv in em or something

"I think I just fcuked a squirrel to death"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Rewatched Sunshine lastnight on Film 4, really an outstanding film regardless of the flaws of the final third and one of the best musical scores of the last ten years.

Also watched Friends With Benefits, as romcoms go its pretty good, both Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis are very likeable in their roles, there's some good support from Woody Herrelson too. The first hour is pretty funny and it does quite a good job of even parodying the genre a little over all although the final third is pretty conventional rom-com stuff, but presented in an ironic wink-wink sort of way in some parts. If your missus drags you along to it don't despair, it's pretty enoyable over all. Funny cameo from Shaun White aswell.

We seem to have remarkably similar taste. Every post that I've went to thank over the last few weeks has been one of yours.

And I only thank things that I really agree with. I'm not even doing it on purpose, I read the post, go to thank it and then look at the name and say 'Oh, that's Mickeroo again.'

I had to stop myself from thanking your last post about The Last Boyscout, in case people started thinking I was just sucking up. But I agree, it is one of the best buddy action films I've seen. It's great.

I bought and rewatched Sunshine about six months ago on blu ray and as soon as I did I had to have the soundtrack. It's amazing. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Wakewood. A visceral horror with a capital V. Made and set in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noideaforaname

Dead Mans Shoes is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Villette

I saw One Day a few days ago and have to say that it was one of the worst films that I've seen in the cinema recently. Maybe I'm exaggerating because the of the hype around it and the generally good reviews, but I was really disappointed. I haven't read the book by the way, so I don't know how good an adaptation it was, but it's certainly a bad advertisement for the book.
    It feels disjointed because of the jumping a year forward constantly. I was really interested to see a film where you just get a day out of the characters' lives in a year but it didn't work in this film anyway. It just made me really bored as it felt like the story couldn't develop and you couldn't get to know the characters properly.
    I also thought it depended on male and female stereotypes too much - which presumably the book does too. The female character just seems to be a way in which the male can redeem himself. Although I think Anne Hathaway is a good actress I don't think she had much to work with. She just seems to be wandering through life waiting for the man to finally appreciate her. I think Jim Sturgess isn't great but his character was awful too, so one-dimensional. How did he overcome his supposed drug and alcohol problems so quickly? I imagine that the film is supposed to be about hinting at things and getting glimpses of their lives but the lives feel forced and superficial. I didn't even feel any connection between the main characters.
    I have to say I liked the ending, but that was probably the only good thing about the film.
    Such a waste of €7!

Dead Mans Shoes is unbelievable.

Agreed. It would be in my top 50 at least, probably higher thinking about it a little more.

You should check out all Shane Meadows work except perhaps for the "Midlands" one. I can pretty much recognise a Nottingham accent now purely from watching his movies.

Agreed. It would be in my top 50 at least, probably higher thinking about it a little more.

You should check out all Shane Meadows work except perhaps for the "Midlands" one. I can pretty much recognise a Nottingham accent now purely from watching his movies.

I quite liked Once Upon a Time in the Midlands. It sits nicely alongside Dead Man's Shoes as being basically a western set in the modern day UK, although obviously it's considerably more light hearted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Andromeda Strain. Really liked it, didn't find much credit in a lot of the criticism it received.

The Stand. A classic. Will be interesting to see how the plans to turn it into a new movie trilogy fare out.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I quite liked Once Upon a Time in the Midlands. It sits nicely alongside Dead Man's Shoes as being basically a western set in the modern day UK, although obviously it's considerably more light hearted!

Nah it just struck all the wrong notes for me. It's the only one of SM's I don't like, it's not really terrible it's just that compared to all his other stuff it just doesn't well, compare.

its a near masterpiece if you ask me , was denied the credit it deserved due to mel having gone mega anti israeli at the time

• Advertisement

"I think I just fcuked a squirrel to death"

i love bruce , apparently hes an obnoxious asshole in real life too which makes me like the guy even more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement