Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Just watched Winters Bone after some good reports in this thread. Again another excellent review/suggestion. I really enjoyed it and would defo recommend it...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We seem to have remarkably similar taste. Every post that I've went to thank over the last few weeks has been one of yours.

And I only thank things that I really agree with. I'm not even doing it on purpose, I read the post, go to thank it and then look at the name and say 'Oh, that's Mickeroo again.'

Haha! Just scanned back and I seem to have thanked one or two of your posts too! Don't feel like you have to stop :pac:

Just watch Trollhnter tonight, I really liked it, really good monster movie and not quite what I expected,
    was expecting more of a group gradually getting picked off by rampaging monsters but it wasn't like that at all
    The Trollhunter character Hans is the best thing about it and the effects are used really well, the film makers are just kind of annoying. I found the ending a little unsatisfactory but I guess thats one of the trappings of found footage movies. I really enjoyed the mythology in the film which they and wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i love bruce , apparently hes an obnoxious asshole in real life too which makes me like the guy even more

Joe Hallenback is one of his best characters by far, next to John McClane of course. The Last Boyscout was the Die Hard sequel that never was. Any film that has a slo mo shootout with Bruce Willis firing a gun from under a cat puppet has got to be worth watching :D

"I swear to god if I survive this case I'm gonna dance a fcuking jig"

"You couldnt protect a cup of warm piss!"

"holy sh1t, we're being beat up by the inventor of scrabble!"

Shane Black's dialogue is gold throughout, was the first script to sell for a million dollars.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »

Shane Black's dialogue is gold throughout, was the first script to sell for a million dollars.

Gotta say I'm excited to see what he'll do with Iron Man, his style should suit Tony Stark perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

krudler wrote: »
    Joe Hallenback is one of his best characters by far, next to John McClane of course. The Last Boyscout was the Die Hard sequel that never was.

I hadn't seen it in ages and watched it last night since you guys brought it up. Vintage 90's action movie with Shane Black's awesome script. Really is one of those films you could watch with a few beers, some buddies and have a great laugh.

I forgot how daft the ending was
    Everyone in stadium cheering for Hallenback as he does his jig..............all the while forgetting that 10 seconds eariler they saw a guy become red paste through helicopter blades
    Was still a deliciously OTT death that only those old action movies could do :pac:

Woot, 6000 posts! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hana-Bi - a revisit of Takeshi Kitanos most memorable 'art' film. One could argue he's made better, but this is a wonderfully thoughtful take on grief, violence and belonging. All held together by one of Beats finest performances. Almost silent, mostly grunting the occasional monosyllable, he's a complex character who occasionally indulges in acts of brutality. He directs it beautifully too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

KM31 - oooh, so close. The first half was extremely promising ... a great ghost story vibe with some nice nerve-twanging set pieces and a couple of good jumps, great production values and competent performances ... it just couldn't (in my opinion) keep it together and unravelled towards the end. Very disappointing.

Limitless - hmm, must have read the blurb wrong because I thought this was a film about a drug that makes you super clever. :rolleyes: A shame because the premise was good, the visuals were great but the writing was amateur. And I find it wonderfully ironic that a film which is supposed to be about intelligence is now being lauded as fantastic "mindless" fun.

The Expendables - fantastic mindless fun ;)

Funny People - would have been great (as opposed to just good) if it was 20 minutes shorter, some serious editing around the ex-girlfriend and her family storyline would have helped a lot.

Hobo With A Shotgun - best fun of the weekend, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Anyone who's a fan of Rutger Hauer, grindhouse or badass 70's/80's b-movies will love this. If not, stay the hell away! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Gasland - horrifying documentary about natural gas contamination in the US, excellent.

Rango - classic western story with animated animal characters, starring Johhny Depp, pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Watched "Billion Dollar Brain" (1967) last night, the third in the Harry Palmer series loosely based on the book by Len Deighton. Harmless escapism as Michael Caine saves the World from a right wing, religious nut job. Would recommend to a friend, but they would have to be a close one so that they would forgive me. Still Michael Caine and Karl Malden do their best.

POTC: On Stranger Tides - It was prety meh, but entertaining enough and passed a couple of hours. I found it better than the other two sequels but nowhere near the quality of the first movie. Pretty average movie really though, everyone just going through the motions, which is a shame because the cast is great. Was it just me or did this have a lower budget than the last two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Went to see Fright Night

Actually really enjoyed it, acting was decent and a few good laughs in places. Only issue was the 3D. Was not needed and as obviously alot of scenes being in the dark the 3D made it too dark and murky.

Worth a trip to cinema though. Nice to see some real vampires in action.

Though our cinema did have the guts to actually show the new Twilight movie trailer before hand. Needless to say that caused a few choice words from some of the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Fast Five - the 5th in the franchise was pretty good. Paul Walker is still as wooden as ever. Vin Diesel seems to have packed on a few pounds but slips easily back into character. Lots of characters from the previous Fast and Furious films show up. And Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is a good addition to the cast as a sort of government bounty hunter.

The premise of planning and executing a heist is a nice change from the plots of the previous movies. There are some great set pieces and stunts. Overall a very enjoyable no-brainer movie. Watched it on a plan to the USA which was the perfect way to pass a couple of hours.

Arthur - The remake of the classic Dudley Moore film, starring Russel Brand.

It's been years since I saw the original Arthur and I've totally forgotten all but the main plot of that movie. This one is something similar. Arthur is rich. He's also childish and a drunk. Various things happen during the movie that make him into a better man. The end.

Again I wathed this on a plane and it was a good way to pass a few hours. Brand does OK in the role even if the material he's given is not always great. Helen Mirren is ok too as his Nanny. Jennifer Garner is largely forgettable as Arthur's forced love interest, as well as Nick Nolte as her father.

Watch it, enjoy it, forget it.

Friends with Benefits - Every man's dream, having no-strings-attached sex with Mila Kunis. Lucky boy Justin Timberlake.

This is actually quite a good romantic comedy. Kunis stars as recruiter who lures top exec Timberlake from L.A. to New York. Both are recently single and strike up a friendship. They decided to try having sex while staying friends. I think you can all finish the plot from there yourselves.

What sets the film apart from other such films is the great chemistry between the two stars. The dialog is sharp and the writers even poke fun at some of the classic cliché that are usally found in Rom Coms. Unfortunately the film still succumbs to some of these clichés by the end which slighlty lets it down. The flaky, hippy mother of Kunis' character has some great lines and she steals a few scenes.

It is definitely worth a watch.

Everything Must Go - The story of an alcoholic salesman (Will Ferrell) who loses his job, his marriage and his house all on the same day. Arriving home to find all his stuff on the lawn he decides to just stay there drinking beer. Along the way he meets a young, loner boy who's pretty much left to look after himself, and a new, pregnant neighbour who has moved house but her salesman husband is nowhere to be found.

This is an interesting movie that I haven't quite made my miind up about yet. It's a good, subdued performance from Ferrell. This really isn't a comedy, although there are some funny monemts, it's more a sad reflection on the shattered life of an alcoholic. Once scene where he has run out of booze and money and struggles without it is especially good.

The plot is so subtle that it sometimes feels like nothing has happened. The ending especially disappointed me somewhat. I expected a bigger pay-off, but I suppose, just like in real life, getting over an addiction and going through a divorce is neither glamorous or exciting.

I'm really not sure if I'd recommend this film. I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Crazy, Stupid, Love
    - Excellent drama/comedy about a man whose wife want's a divorce and who is taken under his wing by a suave ladies man determined to mould him in his own image.

At least that's what it looks like from the trailer. Thankfully there is a bit more to it. Firstly the cast is great, Steve Carrell as the middle-aged, fashion-oblivious husband, Julianne Moore as his disillusioned, cheating wife. Ryan Gosling plays the ladies man with Emma Stone as his unlikely love interest.

Carrell really sells the despondent husband losing the woman he loves. He downs a vodka and cranberry at a bar, telling anyone who will listen about his cheating wife. Gosling radiates charm as the guy who overhears him and decides he's going to help him pick up woman. Cue a great montage where he shows him what to wear, how to approach a woman, how to talk to her and, eventually, get their pants off!

Along the way Gosling meets the one woman who can resist his charms, Emma Stone. Through their relationship we learn what a damaged individual he really is, and that sleeping with women is all he knows really.

What makes the film great is plenty of interesting supporting characters. Julianne Moore is convincing as a woman going through a sort of mid-life crisis. Her son's story is great, he's in love with the 17 year old babysitter and isn't afraid to pursue her in public. She has a crush on Carrell's character however!

And at the end many of these plot points interweave very entertainingly! The only downpoint for me is the incredibly schmaltzy "speach to win back the girl" at the end. It was predicatble, the location of it was badly set and frankly I expected better.

That been said it's a film both I and the other half really enjoyed. I don't think it's out on these shores for a few weeks but is well worth a watch when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fright Night - Actually enjoyed this, plenty of good & funny moments in it. Nice to see that old type of shlock-horror movie again and bringing vampires back to being violent and shady characters, not a glittering type who's all emotional and grooms kids :pac:

Tree Of Life - I was disappointed with this. Visually, it was an interesting cinematic experiment what with it's frantic editing and sudden bursts of impressive imagery. Story-wise, I wasn't impressed at all and felt the film's bumbling speed of the timeline was jarring and the heavily-implied God love was a bit too much for me. I just felt that this movie, while quite different, just wasn't executed properly. Plenty of things were left to our interpretation while other things blatantly told us how it is, which I couldn't agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

mi5 spy film, good film not great but keeps you watching

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

Friends with Benefits
    The dialog is sharp and the writers even poke fun at some of the classic cliché that are usally found in Rom Coms.The flaky, hippy mother of Kunis' character has some great lines and she steals a few scenes.
    Her Mum seemed to me exactly one of the cliché :D But yeah, good film all in all.

As for me, I saw "Veronica Guerin" yesterday and am still quite impressed. What a woman! And such a powerful acting from my favourite Cate Blanchette. I definitely like this version better than "When the Sky Falls".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I seen a lot movies since May :)

May
    The Eye 2 (2004)- Was not as good or as creepy then first one, but it did have it's moments. the baby scene kinda of creep me out little, the scenes at the bus stop was the onLY scenes that made me Jumps twice.
    5/10

The Eye: Infinity (2005)- What A silly movie, whole thing was just really funny, Ghost Scenes was not even scary, i had no idea this was comdey at all

They found book which tells 10 ways you can see a ghost, liked some of the reason that why going to give 3/10

Danika (2006) - I saw trailer for this movie and looked really great.

It started of really well as the movie went, all things she knew that was going to happen and she dose nothing to stop and this movie it self also some kinda of twist,

which i do not understand but I didn't really care if I understood or not, as was really dissponited in this movie, I going to give this movie 4/10 worthwatching a least once.

The Tunnel movie (2011) -Now that was a really good found footage movies, made me jump a few times, it's start of little slow to begin with. 8/10.

Videodrome (1983)-What a movies, i loved it, 9/10

Society (1989)-this my kinda of movie, i really liked movie, so much fun and great 80's effects, The ending of movies, those scenes will be giving me nightmares to night,
    9/10 awesome movie.

Deadgirl (2008)- I did not like the first half of this movie at all, it just went on far too long for me but the second half of the movie got a little more interesting and little bit more gory (which I really liked) and I could not help but laugh at Toilet scene (3x lol ) for some reason I found that scene really funny and the ending of this movie was okay-ish,
    5/10

Storm Warning (2007)- There not much I can say about this movie as there wasn't much going on in this movie untill the last ten minutes or so, And those scenes had some really funny gory deaths After that the movie ended way too fast for me, I asked my self " is that it"? 4/10, Worth a watch at least

House on Haunted Hill (1959) - As I am not a big fan of black and white movies, I was not sure id this movie would be watchable by me but now I have seen this movie, I think was really good movie.

This movie did scare the crap out of me and I almost pissed my pants half hour into the movie and some really good creepy moments in this movie and really well acted by everyone.

Screaming got really annyoing in some part of the movie, this movie did have good twist ( I saw it coming as I have already seen the remake, which I think is much better, Just Joking lol However the remake did have a nice idea by adding a real ghost to the movie but the ghost was too Cartoonish not scary what so ever). I Would have really liked to see a real ghost in this movie however is still a really good movie even with out a real ghost. 8/10

he Hangover Part 2 (2011)
    Not as good as the first but I did laugh a lot of the times in this movie, I think they went little OTT with this one at times to make it little too funny (I still laught at them), It was very Similar to the first movie however I still found it really funny. 7/10

June
    Murder Party (2007) - I got 45mins into before I turned it off!
    As I have not seen the movie in full yet, so I won't rate it!

The Thaw (2009)-it was just OK ( I would have like to a lot more of bugs in this movie, a movie took a while for them to show those bugs! 5/10

Super 8 (2011) -
    To me it was like Stand by me meets Cloverfiled with a tad of ET! mixed into it!
    It's not great movie.

For me too much was going on at the same time, what was the point of the dad, he did not do anything in the movie or did I miss something.

The kids were the only good things in this movie as they are ones who figured out what was going on and got rid of it and creature it was good as it was little scary.
    6/10 just a really good movie.

Before seeing that ^ movie I saw
    The War of the World (1953) (For the first time)
    As I love the remake and see it about 1000x

I really like this movie as well, really good effects for 50's and really good acting from most of the cast , The only think I did not LIKE were the black and white scene that in the movie that were showing past Wars!. 8/10

Bite Marks (2011)- I am not big fan of vamps movies however this movie was horror/comedy!

The movie takes a while for anything to real happen the movie really get started after 30mins mark,then they found out there are some creatures, the couple makes some comments about Dawn of the dead both! old and remake, they find out that are they vampires.(This movie makes it's own rules long the way, which l liked)

Really liked the fact that your Urine could kill a vampire which I found really funny and never seen before, they are some really funny moments and they are some silly moments, which are little too baby-ish something that you will see in kids TV show.

Acting was okay but the vampires were not scary at all but I never found vampires scary anyway (Expect for the Boy at the window in Salem's lot ) make up effect were really poor for the vampires.

It's was a fun movie 5/10, it's not avoid movie at all but don't rush it out to see either as it's just another An average horror movie.

The day the earth stood still remake - it a lot different then the old one, I can't remember how the first one stated, i did not like how this movie started of, the movie lost me at the start.

This movie have some entertaining moments the rest of movie to me was just felt flat, I did not enjoy the Giant thing did not creepy me out as it was too big. I think I nodded off for last 5 mins and saw credits rolling!

The old version with the Robot Alien thing creepy me out and that movie had a better plot in that as was a much better movie overall. I would say it a least worth watching movie 4 /10.

Home Movie (2008)- (Shaky cam movie)it was really boring for most it and as soon as gets good the movie ends, 4 /10

Quarantine 2 - As I already seen REC, i did not see the Quarantine remake at all (i Didn't think need to), As this movie is not remake of REC 2, I was happy about that and Even more happy to find out that Quarantine 2 Is a stand alone movies, it not connected to first movie. (however there little talk about building in first movie at the start of movie).

I really enjoyed this movie, it was a blast, found the whole movie really entertaining, I enjoyed this movie , I Still can not believe I jumping though out the movie.

I was really enjoying the move until 65-68 mins mark, it gets bit melodrama with a really lame twist, which you see coming at start of the movie after 10 mins that nonsense, it get bit better again before its ends. 8/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 for the first time.- Thank god that moved ended it, I did not like it at all, not that gory and not that scary at all and really poor acting from everyone in this movie and all of them really annoyed the hell out me and did not care if they die or not. I did not like TCM 2, which I gave 4 out of 10 and this is going to get the same rating.

At least Leatherface was not a softy in this move like the second one, the only good think I can about this movie but still did not find him scary, I found everything else so bad, that I was laughing most of the time. (And this was not the cut version).

The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1994) - For the first time, I don't know why I bothered to watch it.

That was one hell of really Terrible movie (I was not even a big fan of other two sequels before, I am not fan of series, I am? lol ) (These sequels just get worse and worse)

I still going give this movie 1 and half out of 10 as it made it laugh few time because it was so bad.

July
    Horrible Bosses (2011)- Really funny 8/10

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (1992) for the first time! - That was really good movie, it had slow start to the movie but when it gets going, it dose not stop! 8/10

Shuttle 2008 - I was looking forward to something better then this!, it not great movie, it good movie, it had some really entertaining moments and one moment did shock me, there was small twist just after half away mark, I did not really understand the ending of the movie at all, i am total clueless, there was one annoying girl who was giving me headache , even her best friend told her to Shut the BEEP up and it took her 50mins to do that! 5/10

Outpost (2008) - Not a bad movie at all, it could have been much better, there were some good creepy moments in this movie but the ending was really disappointing average horror movie.5/10

The Butterfly effect 2 - It's no were near as good as the first movie.

After he come out of coma after the car crash, He can now look at old pictures and go back in time when the picture was taken and change is life for the better, but he just makes is life worse, The ending was so predictable, how can no one see that coming!
    3/10 The only good think i can about this movie is that got for 75p!

he Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations (2009) - Much better then second one, it was kinda of slasher movie as well but when i found who the killer was, i was little disappointing but it dose kinda of make for that person to be the killer.

The last scene of the movie was really chilling and it reminded my of Friday 13th part 4 ending. 5/10

August
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)- I was thinking it will be a fun action pack movie from start to end. well i got that wrong. (But that not a bad think at all)

I found this movie really depressing and emotional, I am not a shame to say I almost cried at this movie, my eyes were getting watery. (Number of girls left early as they crying a lot). I really like the whole slow build to the story was really good, I cared for these monkey/Apes ( these seem nicer then the looters we had in England that week)

The Actions scene you seen in the trailer is mostly in the last half hour of movie. which was a lot fun to watch and cheering for apes!, I think the end fitted in really well, Great movie 8/10

Grave Encounters (2011)- the only found footage movie that I was really looking forward see year.
    I was not ready for the HUGE letdown, it as got to be the biggest disappointment of the year for me.

There movie start with some story of what as happened in the place Before that start filming in the Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital.

Nothing really happens until 40mins into the movie and then a few small thing happens, like doors shutting after someone goes into a room, another small thing happens and they all freak out already (The same thing that happen to Kate Paranormal activity when picture is hit, could they not think of anything else) and they what to leave

But they can't seem to leave as the place won't let them as they break down front door and they found themselves back into the house again.

After that, the movie just get silly by the minute and most of stuff we already seen in the trailer anyway.

There was one scene that I liked in movie but now that also kind of reminds me of the only good scene in the last exorcism.

This movie didn't have any suspense to any scenes, it just felt flat for most of the movie and i did not find anything scary at all.

Also Demons chase scene, I just could not take them seriously at all, i could not help but laugh at those scene.

The ending of movie, I have no idea what was really going on, as I stopped paying attentions towards the end, well after 75min Mark.
    I give it 3 /10

Final Destination 5 3D(2011)- it was awesome, the 3D was phenomenal, the best 3D Movie EVER,

The bridge scene was gruesome to the max, (10X Better then pile up in FD2) this movie was fantastic, 100 out of 100.

I will be seeing this movie again , some of the deaths scene were gory and fun and this is without a doubt the best movie in the series

This movie is now been entered in to my top ten movie list and Final Destination 5 is my 5th favorite movie of all time!

Atrocious (2010) - Another boring found footage movie this time from Spain, nothing really happens until 50mins mark, and movies is only 69 minutes long. there nothing scary or creepy at all. The ending was okay-ish 4/10

The Silent House (2010)
    Nice movies, but i feel bit confused with this movie!

Last Week
    Evil Things (2009)- A little disappointing about this movie, not as scary as I wanted to be, as Some really good tense moment, acting was way better then i thought it be. people are really likable in this movie.

I seen so many lost found footage movies this year , i have lost count, this it not a great movie but one of the better found footage movies I that i have seen this year. (One of few that i liked) 5/10

Yesterday
    909 experiment (1999)
    its also same movie as Paranormal Activity but less things happens, no were near as good or scary as Paranormal Activity but the acting in this movie is really bad!

Paranormal Activity meets in The shinning Worth A watch. if you liked these kinda of movies 4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Fright Night - Actually enjoyed this, plenty of good & funny moments in it. Nice to see that old type of shlock-horror movie again and bringing vampires back to being violent and shady characters, not a glittering type who's all emotional and grooms kids :pac:

Tree Of Life - I was disappointed with this. Visually, it was an interesting cinematic experiment what with it's frantic editing and sudden bursts of impressive imagery. Story-wise, I wasn't impressed at all and felt the film's bumbling speed of the timeline was jarring and the heavily-implied God love was a bit too much for me. I just felt that this movie, while quite different, just wasn't executed properly. Plenty of things were left to our interpretation while other things blatantly told us how it is, which I couldn't agree with.

couldn't agree more with you on your take of 'tree of Life'. Extremely metaphor heavy but light on plot. In fact, there really was no plot, I guess that's the sort of film it is.

despite the occasionally gorgeous sequences, the film was unsatisfying and disjointed, never quite delivering on the flashes of promise that it showed.

despite this, gavin burke of entertainment.ie gave it a GLOWING review, saying he would watch it three times . personally i think his review was wayy off the money, he should have emphasised how inaccessible mainstream audiences would find the movie.

this is definitely a film for film critics to announce their intelligence and taste

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Breakfast at Tiffany's. It's one of those films that is great for what it is, but could have been so much more. It's a toned-down version of a Truman Capote story, but the film soft-pedals the underying themes of exploitation. Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) is, after all, a hooker who passes messages for a drug gang ("snow flurries expected in New Orleans"), while Paul (George Peppard) is a writer whose "decorator" leaves money on the bedside table in the morning.

Hepburn is the stuff of legend legendary in her little black dress, but Peppard is as animated as a tree, and don't mention Mickey Rooney's borderline racist turn as a Japanese neighbour. I thought the best scene, by far, was the party early on in the film:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Donnie Darko. Enjoyed it. Very different. Probably give it an 8/10. Some fantastic imagery and Gyllenhaal is very good. Not sure if I like the ending or not. Definitely worth watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hanna

Well what would ya know, this was actually really good. The plot is Bourne with a teenage girl and there are the usual by-the-numbers twists and turns. But a strong lead performance from Ronan and some very stylish directing from Joe Wright elevate what would probably be dross in anyone else's hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

Knucklehead - WWE Studios vehicle for The Big Show that's twenty years out of date. Meh, didn't expect much, didn't get it. Clumsy but gentle giant Walter Krunk with female companion Jan Levenson hit the road to try to save their orphanage as scoundrel Eddie Sullivan looks to pay off his own debts while managing Krunk's amateur fighting career to that reach that all important jackpot which is enough to keep the orphanage open.

Don't think I need the tags but obviously
    Krunk fails miserably, the orphanage shuts down and Sullivan is killed for not getting his money together. It totally doesn't work out in the end nor does Sullivan learn a lesson and get the woman for his troubles.
    Honest. wink.gif

Movie just does nothing new.

Tron: Legacy - Got bored. Jeff Bridge's younger self just looks fake. Like the nostalgia of
    the arcade
    , and the light cycles (still) despite their drivers apparently forgetting how to turn to avoid when it matters most. Foreshadowing was too obvious for me aswell.
    A way to make the digital characters human? Seemed all too convienient to get the protagonist's sexual chemistry partner Quorra into the real world.
    Could have done without Daft Punk aswell.

The Bourne Identity
    The Bourne Supremacy

Took a while to get around to seeing 'em. Good to see what's transferred over to the Bond reboot. Enjoyed 'em, no big complaints. The tonal shift in for the ending to TBI was a bit strange. So glad the alternate ending wasn't used. "In the Sun" has no place on the franchise's soundtrack.

The Inbetweeners Movie - Devastated that
    David Mitchell wasn't Will's dad.
    Sure the movie's pretty much just an extended episode of the TV series but I think it works better for it. Ending didn't really feel like the goodbye to the characters they seemed to be going for. Think it was the uber slow fades. Good companion to the series anyway. Unless you're one of those people that didn't like series 3 which I saw as the strongest set of episodes.

Fish Story - "How can solitude be a fish?" Japanese drama in which a little known punk song ripples across four decades through small stories. Problem with the DVD case and any summary is that they kind of gives away plot details. All very well having the praise on the back but
    advertising a twist you won't see coming in big letters gets you guessing at what it'll be. "Fish Story weaves together several seemingly separate storylines" doesn't help either.

It's worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

Ridley wrote: »

Tron: Legacy - Could have done without Daft Punk aswell.
    Why, doncha like DP? I think their music created the atmosphere and is one of the few pluses of the film...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

True Confessions with Robert De Niro and Robert Duvall. Another movie I hadn't seen in years. Great performances by the two leads and overall a very good film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah Tron: Legacy would be a far lesser film than it already is without Daft Punk. It's a unique, exciting soundtrack and goes someway towards creating a fairly compelling atmosphere throughout when matched with the visuals. Shame the story has about as much depth as a leaking paddling pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Ryan Reynolds in Buried.

Thought it was very good. I initially thought it was a big company movie production, but it has an independent movie feel to it.

Reynolds is excellent. Like a friend said, he took a risk doing a one man show but it paid off really well. It's a testament to his ability that he kept me captivated for an hour and a half. The camera work was efficient and claustrophobic - really putting you in the box. The use of the various colours was something special too.

I'm very pleased with it. I went in with relatively low expectations as I thought "in a box for 90 minutes?" but it's great. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I saw The Omen 1 and 2 today, both movies are great! 10.10 and 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Saw The Rise of the Planet of the Apes last night. Really good, not what I was expecting.

Watched Finding Nemo this evening. classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

House of Usher (1960). Brilliant piece of work from director Roger Corman based on short story by Edgar Allan Poe. Most believe it to be the best of Vincent Price films.

The Pit and the Pendulum is on side B, not got around to seeing it yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Homecoming - based on the Pinter play with Cyril Cusack and Ian Holm, from the 1970s. Not for all tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Just back from seeing Jane Eyre.

In my opinion probably is the best adaption of the book and that is saying alot considering there must be close to 10 verison.

On the acting front both Wasikowska & Fassbender shine in their roles and have such beautiful and believeable chemisty. You get so caught up in the story that you feel Janes heartbreak and pain.
    Director Funkunaga also focus a bit more on the gothic elements which brings a whole new dimension to the story. Have to say what adds to it is how beautifully shot it was and how instead of starting at the beginning of Jane's story we comes in half way through so her "tale of woe" is told in both flashbacks and then real time.

Well worth a visit. Though not a guys films any guy who will be willing to go shouldn't find it too much of an ordeal.

Have to say score is also hauntingly beautiful and really captures the emotion of the film. Dario Marinelli deserves at the very least a nod at next year's Oscar's

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement