Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

As a VERY big fan of rounders I try to watch every poker film I can find. Seen them all really with only the fairly unknown Shade being worth a look IMO.

I (Ahem) Bought a film called Deal today and said i'd give it a look. What took place before me was the greatest lesson in how not to make a film I have ever seen. I would suggest anyone watch it for the sheer awsomeness of how bad the characters/acting is.

That and as far as the poker part goes its shockingly unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

In The Loop is brilliant. It's a comedy for adults - a rare thing these days.

thank you! I occasionally browse this forum when searching for a decent movie, jesus that was superb

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just finished watching Anvil: The Story Of Anvil

Absolutely fantastic documentary and at times I thought I was gonna start bawling. Highly recommended. By the way you don't have to be a metal fan to appreciate this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just finished watching Anvil: The Story Of Anvil

Absolutely fantastic documentary and at times I thought I was gonna start bawling. Highly recommended. By the way you don't have to be a metal fan to appreciate this. :)

Sounds interesting I'm definitely going to give it a look.

Watched moon the other day and really enjoyed it, Slow paced and very predictable, but the cool retro scifi look and no CGI looked amazing. Great acting too.

If your a SCi-Fi fan a must see

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

This Summer ive seen

Drag me to hell
    The Proposeal
    The Hangover
    Harry Potter
    Bruno
    Year one

All in the cinema

Other films ive watch
    Zeitgeist 1
    Zeitgeist 2
    Training Day

also watched the wire from start to finish again!!

I need to get out more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just finished watching The International

Absolute rubbish I thought and had no idea what was going on at all. Watched the trailer for it beforehand and the film was completely different to what it led you to believe. Wouldn't be the first time I suppose.

Took 80 minutes for anything really to happen and even then the most action was only 10 minutes long and the rest of the film was shrouded in sh!t!!

There's two hours I'll never get back.

Avoid at all costs. I really need something to redeem this sh!t fest.

I quite liked this movie, I dont think it was billed as a pure action movie but I guess it tried to make itself smarter that was needed.

Still though its worth the watch imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Is it worth watching? Not a big fan of horror films but watched Omen & V (series I know & read book). Is it similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

What are peoples opinions of drag me to hell?

Is it worth an hour and a half of my life?

any good horrors I must watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

What are peoples opinions of drag me to hell? Good, inconsistnent reviews from these boards but I enjoyed it.

Is it worth an hour and a half of my life? Yes

any good horrors I must watch? Antichrist, not run-of-the-mill by any stretch though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Just watched Public Enemies. I thought it was really boring...
    There were only 3 good parts:

When they were all in the cinema and the screen asks them to turn to their left and right.

The shootout scene at their hideout where all Dillinger's men get killed.

and 3.
    When Dillinger goes to the bureau and takes a good look around.

Other then that, it was long and boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Watchmen'

I watched it last night for the first time. But, for me, it'll be the last time too. I thought, overall, the film lacked any real umph. I never read the comic (oops graphc novel) before, so I was coming at it fresh. But, at the end I just felt let down.

Some parts were good, but the "surprise" parts were no surprise at all. "Comedyman" being the father of "token-superhero-girl" was obvious from the start. And "Oxymoron" was wearing his "badguy" T-Shirt from the beginning as well.

Giving Nixon a ridiculous prosthethic nose, when everything else was played straight was a stupid idea too. I just couldn't help of thinking about Nixon in 'Futurama'. Henry Kissinger was good though.

For me and everyone else on the planet I s'pose, Rorschach was the driving force of the whole thing and the only reason I watched it til the end.

I don't know what it is about Zach Snyder, but his films just leave me completely underwhelmed. 'Dawn of the Dead (2004), '300' and now 'Watchmen' have all just left me cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Watchmen'

I watched it last night for the first time. But, for me, it'll be the last time too. I thought, overall, the film lacked any real umph. I never read the comic (oops graphc novel) before, so I was coming at it fresh. But, at the end I just felt let down.

Some parts were good, but the "surprise" parts were no surprise at all. "Comedyman" being the father of "token-superhero-girl" was obvious from the start. And "Oxymoron" was wearing his "badguy" T-Shirt from the beginning as well.

Giving Nixon a ridiculous prosthethic nose, when everything else was played straight was a stupid idea too. I just couldn't help of thinking about Nixon in 'Futurama'. Henry Kissinger was good though.

For me and everyone else on the planet I s'pose, Rorschach was the driving force of the whole thing and the only reason I watched it til the end.

I don't know what it is about Zach Snyder, but his films just leave me completely underwhelmed. 'Dawn of the Dead (2004), '300' and now 'Watchmen' have all just left me cold.

good damn it use spoilers !!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

good damn it use spoilers !!

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

The Time Traveler's Wife

Not bad, even though it felt like reading the book on fast-forward, with whole threads removed. Good lead performances, but they neutered the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

Knowing

Surely worth a watch once, but i was a bit disappointed as i expected a lot more from a Proyas movie. The Crow and the Dark City are few of my favorite sci-fi movies but Knowing sadly falls short of them. The movie starts off well and moves brilliantly in the first half. The BGM is very good and keeps the movie moving along . But knowing turns predictable towards the end and you can't help but wondering that the director missed a trick or two
    in the last 20 min where the tale of post Apocalyptic world, Aliens, angels, God, and arc of Noah thing are all mixed up which leaves a bland taste

With a script that had so much potential, you can't help but wonder at what might've been a sci-fi epic but the movie sadly ends up being just a good watch.

Verdict: One time watch

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

The Dead Girl

A fantastic, dark drama on human spirit..... The movie has five seemingly independent storylines, all connnected by a base thread... The movie starts off inconspicuously enough..
    but when we get to the part where Toni Collete confronts her mother,
    we realise that this is not just another movie...Each storyline emphasizes on different facets of human spirit.... A simple character study shows that the main roles are all female leads and the movie is about their challenges, dilemmas and their triumphs...
    Males are generally shown in bad light( be it Ribisi or Brolin - almost every male character in the movie has a negavite attribute to it).. While watching the movie, it occured to me as if the director was trying to villify the entire male gender..

The movie has exceptional performances from every member of the cast....Their performances keep us involved in the movie and its strong script only serves in enhancing the overall experience...

One of the most overlooked movies of 2006....Yet another fine example of the Academy's aversion towards independent movies. The Academy knows **** all in nominating movies

Even though we have come across this style of movie telling, The Dead Girl stands out in its spirit.... And i've never heard 'you are my sunshine' in this way..

A Highly Recommended Watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Watched The Blues Brothers for the first time, great music, great car chases, Carrie Fisher as a homicidal maniac! Great.

And Ice Age 3, nothing special but John Leguizamo is always great as Sid, and Scrat is good for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Just watched the butterfly effect today for the first time and i liked it. Didn't know how they were going to end it and i really enjoyed it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Breach - Based on a true story about an FBI agent (Chris Cooper) who turns out to be giving secrets to the Russians. Thought it was pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Let The Right One In, horror film about a 12 year old vampire. I liked it but it isn't scary at all.

The Damned United, covers the early managerial career of Brian Clough, worth a look if you like football films.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Rambo: First Blood. Old skool action, good enough.

The Hangover. I found it very funny, well worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Intermission - Fantastic stuff, nearly pissed myself laughing at the
    "yer auld one jabbed me in the eye with her cock"
    line:p

2001 - Quite good, but really starts to drag towards the end... Ended up switching it off with 20 mins remaining, and have no intention of coming back to finish it.
    BopNiblets wrote: »
    Watched The Blues Brothers for the first time, great music, great car chases, Carrie Fisher as a homicidal maniac! Great.

A local cinema was playing that but I didn't have a chance to see it... A truely classic movie that I would have loved to see on the big screen:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

the texas chainsaw massacre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Inside Man - fell asleep the first time i watched it, but its a good movie. looks like they had fun making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

The General's Daughter, got a roasting from Rotten Tomatoes, I quite enjoyed Travoltas performance and the film overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

byte wrote: »
    2.10 to Yuma: again, it was not bad, better than I had expected.

You should have waited for the 3:10 to Yuma, much more happened when that train pulled in

• Moderators Posts: 51,791 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The Orphange - Really enjoyed this movie. Good spooky atmosphere in the movie at times.

Seven Pounds - Good movie. Interesting story and Will Smith did a good job as the lead role.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

Ok so I watched Jarhead last night. I thought the acting was superb and had very funny bits too. Just dissapointed with the ending, I didn't quite get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

King Kong (Peter Jackson's one) - I love this movie, seen it a few times. Very few things top the scene with Kong & the three T-rex's. Brilliant.

Babel - Not a light watch, you wouldn't want to be depressed watching it but it's very good. Great performances, particularly the deaf Japanese girl.

Seven Pounds - Will Smith & Rosario Dawson are fantastic in this. Took a long time for it to come together though with the whole plot of why he's doing what he's doing. Was good to see Woody Harrelson back, even for a smallish role.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Inglourious Basterds.

fast & furious.

and tried to watch Angels & Demons but was having a bad day and wasn't in the mood for it.

@gob_smacked: yes, totally worth teh viewing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement