Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in cineworld (With David Crosby a couple of feet away) Just sayin'... :P

Really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Kill The Irishman. It was decent overall but a good chunk of it came across as silly and forced (all the Irish symbolism, the necklace at the end) while the acting generally wasn't the best. Also, I now despise Uilleann Pipes. Had a good time recognising all the Goodfellas and Sopranos guys though.

I quite liked it but did u think the lead actor was a bit mis-cast? I had a hard time believing him to be this smooth womanising hardcase to be honest... he just wasn't pretty enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

kerash wrote: »
    (With David Crosby a couple of feet away) Just sayin'... :P

:O

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I quite liked it but did u think the lead actor was a bit mis-cast? I had a hard time believing him to be this smooth womanising hardcase to be honest... he just wasn't pretty enough :)

He looked a lot like the real guy though!

Watched Soul Surfer, biopic of real life pro surfer Bethany Hamilton who had her arm bitten off by a shark and went on to make it as a pro regardless. Pretty inspiring story = pretty dull, cliched, cheesey, glossy, shallow and downright below average film made for impressionable teenage girls.

At no point did it feel like the film was set in the real world at all, it's overly sentimental but has absolutely no depth to it whatsoever, everything is too easy, we're never really shown her struggle to get back to her old self, doesn't make for a very compelling movie. Also for what proclaims to a true story we're presented with the usual charicatures you get in any underdog sports movie, the loving supportive parents, the best friend who never stops believing in them and (worst of all) the villainous rival who always wears black and quite unbelievably still acts like a dick after their main rival has their arm bitten off, oh and guess what, the villain miraculously respects the underdog at the end for no reason whatsoever. Awful awful tripe but you can bet loads of people will lap this up as an accurate portrayal of real life.

I'm willing to let the overtly christian overtones(which aren't too overplayed i suppose) of the film slide since the character is a bit of a bible basher in real life anyway.

One plus, the surf footage in it is great though there are some discrepencies on what is actually possible in one or two places, regardless of that, I would recommend everyone just go and watch Point Break instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Violent Enemy (1967) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063781/ Despite a good cast including Susan Hampshire, Tom Bell, Ed Begley and Noel Purcell this movie is one for laying down and avoiding. Largely filmed in and around Enniscorthy (the reason that I bought it) its only redeeming feature is the amount of interesting footage from over forty years ago - especially vintage vehicles. The plot is rubbish, the acting, dialogue and accents equally so and only for the diehard collector of Irish movies - I'll be keeping my copy. Interestingly who ever was responsible for the DVD wrapper had obviously never watched the movie as the plot description is completely wrong. :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqib4BAvs19qzPjH0oeGkXsphSL7U4C8IuM3_CTZpmfxo86jOr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He looked a lot like the real guy though!

Watched Soul Surfer, biopic of real life pro surfer Bethany Hamilton who had her arm bitten off by a shark and went on to make it as a pro regardless. Pretty inspiring story = pretty dull, cliched, cheesey, glossy, shallow and downright below average film made for impressionable teenage girls.

At no point did it feel like the film was set in the real world at all, it's overly sentimental but has absolutely no depth to it whatsoever, everything is too easy, we're never really shown her struggle to get back to her old self, doesn't make for a very compelling movie. Also for what proclaims to a true story we're presented with the usual charicatures you get in any underdog sports movie, the loving supportive parents, the best friend who never stops believing in them and (worst of all) the villainous rival who always wears black and quite unbelievably still acts like a dick after their main rival has their arm bitten off, oh and guess what, the villain miraculously respects the underdog at the end for no reason whatsoever. Awful awful tripe but you can bet loads of people will lap this up as an accurate portrayal of real life.

I'm willing to let the overtly christian overtones(which aren't too overplayed i suppose) of the film slide since the character is a bit of a bible basher in real life anyway.

One plus, the surf footage in it is great though there are some discrepencies on what is actually possible in one or two places, regardless of that, I would recommend everyone just go and watch Point Break instead.

just watched it there, ended up feeling warm and fuzzy inside with a craving to surf :D enjoyable movie

sidenote - did you notice how expressionless helen hunts face was? looks as though shes gone down botox avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Wasn't Helen Hunts face always expressionless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

haha not sure, this is the first time ive really noticed it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Locker Room Towel Fight: The Blinding of Larry Driscoll

A very emotional film proving that Locker Rooms and Towels can be a very dangerous mix indeed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

just watched it there, ended up feeling warm and fuzzy inside with a craving to surf :D enjoyable movie

sidenote - did you notice how expressionless helen hunts face was? looks as though shes gone down botox avenue

If i could bring myself to look at it as a throw away feel good movie then I'd probably agree with you, it's just that it's a "true story" that irked me about the way it was handled. :)

Locker Room Towel Fight: The Blinding of Larry Driscoll

A very emotional film proving that Locker Rooms and Towels can be a very dangerous mix indeed.
    Please tell me thats a real film? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Drive

Absolutely loved it. It's easy to compare it to The Driver but that's no bad thing. In some ways the lead characters are very similar, they both have similar rules and methods when doing jobs, they're both brilliant at what they do, they speak very little, the actors that play them both have the name Ryan and both men give me a bit of a boner.

I was looking forward to this for a while and not only did it not disappoint, it surpassed my expectations. Loved it.

Big fan of the director and Ryan Gosling so got super excited when they were working together.

That and it was one of the best cinema experiences of my life. Absolute silence, thus was the power of the film. I could hear people breathing. It's great.

9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Tingler. Loved the intro by director William Castle. :) I really like the whole interaction with the audience and Price was brilliant as well. Special effects leave a lot to be desired but I'm not one for that sort of thing anyway so enjoyed it immensely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The Goonies

I was surprised by how well this movie has held up. It must be at least 15 years since I've seen it but I really enjoyed it.

Any Given Sunday

I've been meaning to watch this for a while but the running time put me off. After watching it the film didn't seem like 3 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Loved the first 20 minutes of it, the music, the action, the acting - amazing. The rest of the movie was incredibly slow and predictable, the long pauses by gosling almost made me walk out of it. Terribly annoying film with flashes of brilliance/violence. A big fat "MEH" out of 10 for me on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

13 Assassins
    I love samurai films ,and I liked this one alot.Top notch action.Sorry I did'nt get to see it in the cinema,as I read that DVD version is missing 40 mins.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interview with the Vampire - enjoyable enough. First half was pleasantly gothic camp. Story was way too episodic and bitty to be compelling though. Lost interest well before the end.

Guilty of Romance - like all Sion Sono films, fascinating and messy. Probably the grimmest portrait of sex and violence I've seen in some time - just a film utterly devoid of joy, bar the occasional twisted pleasure the more deluded characters enjoy. Hard to figure out the meaning in some places, but basically a very complex, graphic and meandering study of the gender and eroticism. Also seems to be a bit of a giant **** you to the Japanese censorship system. Some people will shout 'misogynistic', but these people are incorrect, and it's pretty much the film Eli Roth would have made with Hostel 2 if he wasn't an idiot. Well worth a watch. I'd recommend not eating before watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

13 Assassins
    I love samurai films ,and I liked this one alot.Top notch action.Sorry I did'nt get to see it in the cinema,as I read that DVD version is missing 40 mins.:mad:
    No that's not true.

13 Assassins

DVD is same cut as theatrical. The original Japanese cut is longer than version we got but that's the case with most foreign films. There are nearly always international cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Besides it's all in the deleted scenes on the DVD, and tbh I kinda prefer the movie without them (some typical Miike weirdness that doesn't fit in with the more classic style of the film).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Last night I stumbled upon a made for TV movie "Lava Storm" on RTE 1 - I normally only use the TV for rugby or DVDs - a policy I will be reverting to after this experience. The RTE announcer made it sound vaguely interesting, describing it as a science fiction movie.

The plot was truly awful, the acting worse, the special effects terrible and the whole thing wasted 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back. It was so bad that I was trapped like a rabbit in the headlights of an oncoming car and left it on just to see if it could get any worse. Here's the entry from IMB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183727/

Do look at this trailer - it's quite unbelievable stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

The Painted Veil (2006) with Naomi Watts and Ed Norton. The movie is based on W. Somerset Maugham book.

Amazing love story about two people, very emotional. I love W. Somerset Maugham books, they are very realistic. And I simple fall in love with this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Saw Jurassic Park on the big screen. 18 years it's been since I last saw like that and when I heard the incredible loud sound from the raptor at the beginning I was like "Holy shìt!". The surround sound really amplified the experience.

Still an awesome movie, gf was freaked out at the T-Rex and raptor scenes :D Alot of the CGI has dated fairly badly but you let it slip considering it was state-of-the-art back then and it only amounts to 6 minutes in the overall film.

That T-Rex scene is still incredible and hasn't lost any of it's appeal on me at all since I first saw it in the cinema. The delivery and suspense of him still makes it one of the most memorable scenes in modern cinema. Even the CGI bits on him were probably the best in the entire movie.

What makes that scene sell so good is the interchanging from CGI to incredible life-sized animatronic. Stan Winston was legendary and will seem odd that JP4 will be without him (though they'll probably still use his studio)

Definitely a true cinema movie experience we rarely see nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

the debt...

meh..wasnt great

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Saw Jurassic Park on the big screen. 18 years it's been since I last saw like that and when I heard the incredible loud sound from the raptor at the beginning I was like "Holy shìt!". The surround sound really amplified the experience.

Still an awesome movie, gf was freaked out at the T-Rex and raptor scenes :D Alot of the CGI has dated fairly badly but you let it slip considering it was state-of-the-art back then and it only amounts to 6 minutes in the overall film.

That T-Rex scene is still incredible and hasn't lost any of it's appeal on me at all since I first saw it in the cinema. The delivery and suspense of him still makes it one of the most memorable scenes in modern cinema. Even the CGI bits on him were probably the best in the entire movie.

What makes that scene sell so good is the interchanging from CGI to incredible life-sized animatronic. Stan Winston was legendary and will seem odd that JP4 will be without him (though they'll probably still use his studio)

Definitely a true cinema movie experience we rarely see nowadays.

Her ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

barone wrote: »
    the debt...

meh..wasnt great

I've seen the trailer for this and I might check it out at some point. But the actors look nothing like the actors playing the younger/older versions of themselves. E.g. Sam Worthington is supposed to be a young Ciaran Hinds. Eh, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Tootsie, which is amazing, mostly because Dustin Hoffman is amazing in it as the cross-dressing Michael Dorsey. So convincing as a woman it's scary. He would have won the Oscar if he hadn't been up against Ben Kingsley's Gandhi. The gender politics gets rather complicated, such as this discussion with his agent George (Sydney Pollack) about Julie (Jessica Lange):
    Michael Dorsey: You should have seen the look on her face when she thought I was a lesbian.
    George Fields: "Lesbian"? You just said gay.
    Michael Dorsey: No, no, no - SANDY thinks I'm gay, JULIE thinks I'm a lesbian.
    George Fields: I thought Dorothy was supposed to be straight?
    Michael Dorsey: Dorothy IS straight. Tonight Les, the sweetest, nicest man in the world asked me to marry him.
    George Fields: A guy named Les wants YOU to marry him?
    Michael Dorsey: No, no, no - he wants to marry Dorothy.
    George Fields: Does he know she's a lesbian?
    Michael Dorsey: Dorothy's NOT a lesbian.
    George Fields: I know that, does HE know that?
    Michael Dorsey: Know WHAT?
    George Fields: That, er, I... I don't know.

PS: this was also Geena Davis' first movie role, and she appears to have walked straight in from her other job as a Victoria's Secret underwear model. :D

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I rented out "Stone" with Robert DeNiro and Edward Norton. Just finished watching it now and it was absolutely terrible film. It was a real struggle to watch it the whole way through. Basically not a lot happens at all in this film. May aswell have been watching paint dry.
    The characters are very under-developed and the weak plot just gets weaker as the movie goes on. 2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

krudler wrote: »
    Her ;)

Touchè, Mr. Krudler, touchè! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Drive.

Disappointing really. Was expecting better. Style over substance, wafer thin characters and story left me disinterested and a sidelined spectator.

Horrible bosses.

Great cast, one or two lol mokents but in general really poor generic stuff. Very disappointing.

Red State.

A bit of fun nonsense that was really good for the first 40 minutes or so and then seemed to run out of steam.
    While it was enjoyable in the main, it's instantly forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Drive. Started off a bit slow for me but really clicked into gear,no pun,in the second half to a great finish.4/5.

Melancholia. Interesting film about the end of the world,depression and the despair of it all.Was quite good overall.3/5.

Transformers 3 Dark Of The Moon.Stomached about half of this tripe til i reached for the stop button.Avoid.1/5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement