Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dogtooth

I was a long time getting around to this. I was put off watching it because I heard it was a squirmy Michael Haneke-style film that tries to provoke. But it’s not really. There’s one somewhat disturbing moment, but I found it more darkly humorous than anything else. Far more interesting are the ideas presented in the film, which are very Orwellian, particularly how language can be used to control how people think. And the ending is brilliantly ironic.

Fantastic film that had me hooked from the first scene. Those crazy Greeks - who knew they could make such wonderfully bizarre films?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Been reading about Once Were Warriors for a long time in there so decided to check it out

Wow, not a film I'll easily forget

Loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

House of Wax (1953). I was surprised to see a young Charles Bronson who played Igor, Jarrod's (Price) assistant. Again, I loved the inviting the audience to participate with the paddle ball scene and so on. Good horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Die Hard 3. Never gets old, does it? :D

brucewillis.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Saw 'Sybil' circa 1976.To be fair ,it was the most disturbing film I have ever seen and what is worse,it's a true story about some poor woman.It's about abuse and the tale of D.I.D or Multiple Personality Disorder ,as it was known back back then.Have to say the main actress was amazing.Back then ,there was no CGI ,and not much make up ,only real people and real skin tone .
    When I say disturbing ,I have put ' The Cell ' and maybe some others out of my mind.
    I just IMDB'd this and it was rated PG !! Can't believe that.Sally Field was the main actress.The psychiatrist was Joanne Woodward ,who was a silver screen icon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What? A Nicholas Cage film that's he's good in? :)

Bringing out the Dead is a good film

Pretty dark but some comic moments too

Love the security guard
    "Don't make me take off my sunglasses" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

13spanner wrote: »
    Die Hard 3. Never gets old, does it? :D

nope, one of the last truly great action movies, man the 90s had all the best ones, Speed, The Rock, The Last Boyscout, Terminator 2, Face/Off, Con Air. action films with proper action and stunts not cgi bullsh1t.

Grave Encounters- another "found footage" movie from a supposed ghosthunting tv show that never broadcast its last episode shot in an abandoned asylum. Its meh, has a few good jumps but its nothing Paranormal Activity hasnt already done, would be fun to watch with an audience. the trailer ruins one of the best scares in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

went to see jurassic park and left with a nice big smile on my face, ive never seen it in cinema and havent watched it since ive gotten into proper sound and video, so this was truely a treat to see on the big screen, its most likely the best film ive seen in the cinema this year and i cant see anything coming out beating it either,

(t-rex could have been a man, frog DNA;):D)

and wow that theme music is just nostalgia :)

also watched surviving the game when i got home from JP, another nice bit of fun from the 90s, and weird to see ice-t as a lead in somthing :D

went to see fake boobies the change-up earlier, much say i wasnt really disappointed, some of the stuff was ridiculus and cheap but i was in a good mood so i laughed my ass off at a lot of it,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Just watched Article 99 on MGM cos I couldn't sleep. Ray Liotta, Kiefer Sutherland & Forest Whitaker are renegades doctors in a hospital for former soldiers. Not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I went to see "The help" at the cinema last week. The film was ever so sweet and I really recommend it. Normally, I'm not in to drama, but this was such an endearing story and set in the 1960's Mississippi :)

I was in heaven watching it. I even cried a little bit of joy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

bobby fischer against the world

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1777551/

im not old enough to remember the effect this man had on the world at the time with the match against spassky

worth a view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

flypaper, good story with some funny scenes worth a watch, patrick dempsey from greys anatomy and ashley judd are the main stars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Limitless - meh, it's alright, passed a couple of hours.

Un Prohéte - After hearing nothing but great things about this I was expecting something spectacular, and I was let down!! It started off great but it's way too long, just dragged on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

eternal wrote: »
    Saw 'Sybil' circa 1976.To be fair ,it was the most disturbing film I have ever seen and what is worse,it's a true story about some poor woman.It's about abuse and the tale of D.I.D or Multiple Personality Disorder ,as it was known back back then.Have to say the main actress was amazing.Back then ,there was no CGI ,and not much make up ,only real people and real skin tone .
    When I say disturbing ,I have put ' The Cell ' and maybe some others out of my mind.
    I just IMDB'd this and it was rated PG !! Can't believe that.Sally Field was the main actress.The psychiatrist was Joanne Woodward ,who was a silver screen icon.

Ya, I remember watching that as a child. It is really disturbing. Pg, ya, if your parents are Fred and Mae West.

I know I saw it as a child but I always found a way to watch what I wanted to watch. My mother didn't know about it.

The Golden Compass

Not great. Scrapes maybe a good. It always baffles me how somebody can take really good source material and destroy it. Northern Lights could have made a good film, I probably would have split it in to too to give the characters room to breath. This was a poor effort. The only thing I can think of is the writer/director did not have a clue why the book was so good and thus could not put it in the film.

5/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only nice thing I can say about the Golden Compass is that the ideas were curious enough for me to finally check out the source material, which I promptly fell in love with and read over the course of a very short period of time. In hindsight, it's a bastardisation. Especially the ending, which chickens out on the astonishing ending of Northern Lights for a tacky Hollywood conclusion. Its failure was a small mercy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

essential killing, interesting film, an odd ending though
    screwed with noel clarke, an ex army man joins the prison service very good film with some decent fight scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched Bad Teacher,it's ok and very predictable with a couple of laughs especially with some of the language from Cameron Diaz plus she looks amazing in the car wash scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trading Places (1983) God Jamie Lee Curtis was fabulous! So was Denholm Elliott too but in a very different way of course :)

mike65 wrote: »
    Trading Places (1983) God Jamie Lee Curtis was fabulous! So was Denholm Elliott too but in a very different way of course :)

she had quite the body on her, did in True Lies as well, still would probably :pac:

• Advertisement

I think she was and still is gorgeous, I just have a thing for her. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

I have saw "Bad teacher" : quite funny :)

Yesterday I watched "Original sin" with Angelina Jolie and Antonio Banderas. Not really what I have expected. Nice costumes, beautifull actors. But that movies needs something more, in the middle was quite boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

mike65 wrote: »
    I think she was and still is gorgeous, I just have a thing for her. :o
    In a Liverpool jersey ;)

amiable wrote: »
    In a Liverpool jersey ;)

I googled but alas! :p

/imagines....

120q80y.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

"Mesrine - Killer Instinct" & "Mesrine, Public Enemy No.1"

A two part movie biop of Jacques Mesrine - France's most wanted gangster of modern times, played superbly by Vincent Cassell.

Both these films are absolute instant classics, with top notch acting, direction, photography, editing, pacing throughout. A faultless piece of cinema that I could watch over and over again....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

The Double Life of Veronique

Kieslowski's last film before the Three Colours trilogy, and if it wasn't for the slightly more mystical theme could easily sit beside them as "Green".

A beautifully sad film in it's own right with a brilliant performance from Irene Jacob

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Blue Valentine

Thought it was very good. Acting was superb and Ryan Gosling was a boss as usual. Contrasts the two different eras of the relationship beautifully and the last shot was really simple but stayed with me after I watched it for some reason.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Horrible Bosses: Found it pretty freakin funny actually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Horrible Bosses: Found it pretty freakin funny actually :D

sailin' the high seas today, were we? :pac:

Watched "Dial M For Murder" (1954). It's about a guy who makes an intricate plan to force an old friend into murdering his wife. Of course it gets messy (figuratively; I'd count this as a G-rated film!) but that's where it gets more interesting!

Gotta say, it was very enjoyable. Definitely a time warp, with long scenes, (black and white obviously!), simple but engaging plot; it was like a stage play. I'd recommend if you think you'd be in to this sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Drive last night and wouldn't recommend it.

I'm a big fan of Ryan Gosling, been watching alot of his movies lately but this was just not for me.

It swayed between being painfully slow and "artistic" to disturbingly violent (which I didn't mind too much) but the music was a bit nuts for a movie set in the modern day, along with the Dirty Dancing-esque font used for the intro.

The other thing that annoyed me was the sound - the engine noise was quite good but on a number of occasions whilst taking a sharp bend it still sounded like he was driving in a straight line at 100mph.

Not the worst movie I've watched but I was still left very disappointed with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement