Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I thought it was crap. and trust me I love my spy dramas, but this film was so disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

SarahBM wrote: »

I thought it was crap. and trust me I love my spy dramas, but this film was so disappointing.

Can I ask why ? (I haven't seen it yet and curious).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

SarahBM wrote: »

You should check out the old BBC drama with Alec Guinness as George Smiley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Morlar wrote: »
    Can I ask why ? (I haven't seen it yet and curious).

Well I dont want to ruin it for anyone. :rolleyes:

very slow drawn out, lots of great actors who dont get half enough time on screen. just a big let down.
    let me put it this way, more happens in 20 mins of spooks than what happens in the entire film, and it makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Under fire

I liked this film big time,well worth a watch.Last seen it about 15 years ago and IMO it has dated well. Nick Nolte and Gene Hackman are top notch.The film score is really good,love the music.
    Three journalists in a romantic triangle are involved in political intrigue during the last days of the corrupt Somozoa regime in Nicaragua before it falls to a popular revolution in 1979.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm not usually a fan of the kind of films that Jason Statham does
    But I loved The Bank Job

It was expecting a comic caper like the Italian Job.
    But it's nothing like that as you see revenge and the gang being taken out one by one.
    Clever film with twists and turns and also seems to be based very loosely on a real event.

Also watched Longford on the channel four website.
    Very serious and follows the interaction between Lord Longford and the Brady and Hindley, the Moors murderers.
    Liked this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

My housemate is fresh from a year of Film Studies in Trinity and convinced me to watch his new favourite film, Come and See.

This is one of the most intense films I've ever watched. There are some points that really push it, bits I found hard to watch. The film is in a similar vein to Apocalypse Now but is far more brutal and harsh. Apparently live ammunition was used in the film and the lead actor (a 14 year old kid with no acting experience) almost died several times. Definitely one to watch .

fitz0 wrote: »
    My housemate is fresh from a year of Film Studies in Trinity and convinced me to watch his new favourite film, Come and See.

This is one of the most intense films I've ever watched. There are some points that really push it, bits I found hard to watch. The film is in a similar vein to Apocalypse Now but is far more brutal and harsh. Apparently live ammunition was used in the film and the lead actor (a 14 year old kid with no acting experience) almost died several times. Definitely one to watch .

Yeah its a powerful movie alright,one that you don't forget after seeing it.Well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

RopeDrink wrote: »
    The Eagle:

Apart from funny accents, not too bad a movie. Some scenes came across as clunky and it's full of patriotism to the point of being sickening but otherwise an enjoyable movie that doesn't dwell too much on the action or the "Let's wander around this barren waste looking for a shiny bird".

What was the deal with all the "natives" speaking as Gaeilge in that movie??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Bad research most likely; in Roman era Scotland they would have been speaking a language closer to Welsh I think. I don't think Gaelic took hold until after the 6th century or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Armageddon.

It's mental but I really like it. It's a no nonsense action flick but it really reminds me of the late 80s, all 90s with its top-notch action films. Memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Tomb of Ligeia (1964). "Tomb of Ligeia" was the last of Roger Corman's popular Edgar Allan Poe adaptations of the 60's. I enjoyed this film because it had more outdoor scenes (like you will read in most other reviews as well). Decent ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Sci-fi poetry:

Love, loss, memories, regret ... and androids.

Blade Runner meets Gone With the Wind.

An interesting and annoying film.

WHIP IT! wrote: »

It's supposed to be Pictish. Which may have been close in many ways to a Gaelic tounge.

Stake Land:

Fun movie - Nice to see a Vamp flick that didn't take itself too seriously...

Really? I thought it took itself very seriously, given the basic premise of the story. It's all the better for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's supposed to be Pictish. Which may have been close in many ways to a Gaelic tounge.

Pictish was p celtic where gaelic is q celtic.
    How does The Eagle compare to Centurion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Stakeland. Really enjoyed it as expectations were not high. The two leads were excellent and the film was well made. A very mature Kelly McGillis in a small role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

The Basketball Diaries

You don't here much about it now but it really fits the genre well, though I don't know the name of the genre :rolleyes:, young fellas getting into bad situations genre :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Eden of the East: King of Eden - I thought the jump from TV to cinema was meant to up the scale? This just feels like an overstretched episode of the already merely OK TV series. Some things to like - characters, mainly - but more plot holes / unnecessary contrivances than any film I've ever seen.

Persona - Best. Film. Evar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I took a chance on Bridesmaids after hearing one reviewer in a newspaper practically glow about it. I was expecting comedy of the year. Not quite.

It's good, there are some genuine moments in it but it isn't the best film ever. Positives include, the chemistry is good, as are the characters, they're likeable and they interact well. Megan in particular was good. Great charisma about her. Then it splutters.

There are too many negatives in it. Some of the scenes are far too long and become a tad bit excruciating to watch. Examples of this are the speech scene as well as the airplane scene. Short, quick scenes of comedy work better. I think they dropped the ball on that. It was over long too, 2 hours, a half hour could have been shaved off too. The movie title is a little off too. It isn't about all the bridesmaids, it's about two of them in particular, one who features, but two others who have a potentially decent story dead ended. It's misleading.

It's worth checking out if you've little to do and it passes time. But it wasn't what I expected it to be. Probably a victim of high standards and a hype machine.

• Advertisement

Mr73
    Good film,enjoyed it alot. Daniel Auteuil one of my favourite actors,is top notch in this.
    A cop drama-cum-serial-killer procedural that's as noir to the soul as its stygian lensing, Olivier Marchal's "MR 73" powerfully ties the bow on a triptych of dark crimers following the writer-director's debut, "Gangsters," and the award-winning "36 Quai des Orfevres." Headed by a socko performance from an encoring Daniel Auteuil, this time as a Marseilles inspector who's already halfway to hell.

Warrior
    Worth a watch,but would'nt need to see it again.Nearly shed a man tear ,but managed to hold myself together.:)
    Two brothers face the fight of a lifetime - and the wreckage of their broken family - within the brutal, high-stakes world of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighting in Lionsgate's action/drama, WARRIOR. An ex-Marine haunted by a tragic past, Tommy Riordan returns to his hometown of Pittsburgh and enlists his father, a recovered alcoholic and his former coach, to train him for an MMA tournament awarding the biggest purse in the history of the sport. As Tommy blazes a violent path towards the title prize, his brother, Brendan, a former MMA fighter unable to make ends meet as a public school teacher, returns to the amateur ring to provide for his family.

Bathory countess of blood
    For such an interesting subject found it boring TBH,not worth watching IMO.
    The infamous Countess Erzsebet Bathory, who is said to have maintained youth and beauty into her old age by bathing in the blood of virgins, has her life story told in a more balanced but still provocative manner in this grand-scale historical drama. Bathory, played by Anna Freil, is portrayed in three important episodes from her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Tree Of Life, ponderous, plodding, but stunning looking throughout, very like Baraka in places with the shots of nature and the world, pissed it never got a decent release outside of Dublin would have loved to seen it on a big screen

Well in the sense that for as miserable and dire the premise was, it'd still throw in fun/loveable leads and comical situations without either being too comical or too serious, proving that you really need to find the humour in anything in life. A world like that would be one very abysmal, bleak hell and I doubt anyone would find it funny in any way, shape or form. More serious than John Carpenters Vampires but it swaps out a lot of the funny dialogue and corn for a meaty atmosphere you can respect and will the characters through but also lighten the atmosphere with some pretty damn funny scenes.

I'm not debating that it was/wasn't a serious movie - It was - I'm simply saying it was nice that it wasn't just straight up bleak or miserable considering the world said characters were stuck in.

Ah ok. Have to admit though, I'm having a hard time remembering any funny scenes...but anyway.

I agree though, it's a far superior take on the subject than Carpenters film, but IMO, Carpenter hasn't made a good film since 'Prince of Darkness'.

fontanalis wrote: »
    Pictish was p celtic where gaelic is q celtic.
    How does The Eagle compare to Centurion?

Can't say, I haven't seen it, although I wasn't all that impressed by 'The Eagle', I have to say. it gets really bogged down in the middle section and by the end I just couldn't care any more.

...and Billy Elliot justs rubs me up the wrong way, if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Melancholia - Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Thor: Easily one of the worst movies ever. Lame script, acting was beyond awful, hammed up sh*t spectacular.

Take me home tonight: Quirky comedy, after a slow start I really enjoyed this film, savage soundtrack to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Ben Hur blu ray. An excellent transfer which this epic deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Eyes Wide Shut It holds up really well and in my opinion get better with every viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Milk: Was on rte2 last night. Very good, really enjoyed it.

King Kong: If it was an hour shorter, it would hve been great. All through the movie i was picking out scenes that could easily have been cut without affecting the movie at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Thor: Easily one of the worst movies ever. Lame script, acting was beyond awful, hammed up sh*t spectacular.

I loved Thor, one of the best of the summer movies, knew exactly what it was and had fun with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement