Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

krudler wrote: »
    I loved Thor, one of the best of the summer movies, knew exactly what it was and had fun with it.
    Maybe this is not the most seriuos movie, but it was funny :D Especially when Thor come to Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Thor: Easily one of the worst movies ever. Lame script, acting was beyond awful, hammed up sh*t spectacular.

I was actually surprised by how good it was. Really enjoyed it and have watched it several times now. It never tried to over-explain anything, had some very funny bits, the action was good for the most part, the baddie was great. Thought it was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

e_e wrote: »
    Melancholia - Waste of time.
    Lies. Can't be if its got Kirsten Dunst boobs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Watched the departed yesterday.

Unbelievable film.
    Probably one of scorsese's best but then again i've liked nearly all of his major films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

real steel, only good for under tens, what a load of crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

The original (and better than the 80's Donald Sutherland remake by far imo) classic paranoid thriller. I am still blown away by how much this film stands the test of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

GAAman wrote: »
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

The original (and better than the 80's Donald Sutherland remake by far imo) classic paranoid thriller. I am still blown away by how much this film stands the test of time.

I have it on video but I have to say the ending in the Donald Sutherland movie is better and still scares the bejaysus out of me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Dumb and Dumber - Classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Dumb and Dumber - Classic :)

"Your name is 'Harry', right??"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I had some free time over the weekend and ending up watching 3 new movies.

Drive - Really liked this one, great performances, not as shocking as everyone made it out to be, but mabey I'm just now desensitised to all that now :D (8/10)

Real Steal - I got free tickets to see this on Sunday and it was actually alright, more a movie for the 5 - 16 year olds but still pretty fun. (7/10)

Red State - Not sure what to make of it, besides the shock of all the death/killing, it seemed kind of slow, probably wouldn't recomend it. (5/10)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Horrible bosses....wasn't expecting too much but I really liked it. Wasn't laugh a min but overall quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I have it on video but I have to say the ending in the Donald Sutherland movie is better and still scares the bejaysus out of me. :D

Nah man i have to disagree there i saw the sutherland one first and thought the original would be the same, after the original ending i actually sat and thought about it. Will spoiler it for those who have not seen it.
    In the sutherland version we have the twist ending that has become almost commonplace in more modern movies. In the original we have an almost "good guy wins" ending in that the main character who throughout the movie is thought insane by the doctor he is telling the story to, and then at the end the doctor overhears the men corroborating a part of the story (the large seed pods) which ends with them ordering road blocks and rushing to try and contain the situation.

We are left to wonder what happens next as that is the final scene, and in that old entertainment adage "Always leave them wanting more" which for me is a better ending overall.

TLDR: You are wrong and i am right
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Milk. Excellent film about Harvey Milk, the first openly gay elected official in America. Sean Penn puts in a fine performance in the lead role.

Clerks. I'd been meaning to watch this for a long time and it lived up to the hype. Kevin Smith's first film. It's about a day in the life of two workers at a convenience store. Randall is a brilliantly in your face character. While the acting may not be great, some of the dialogue is hilarious. A superb independent comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 er_mano

Hot fuzz, can't help to love every single bit of it even if it's not my first viewing. And Death at a funeral (the original), classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Friends with Benefits last night - and didn't hate it - enjoyed some parts of it quite alot but in the end it was a rom com

I think the thing I liked about it was it's poking fun at rom coms throughout - and unlike alot of rom coms - the "comedy" was quite good at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Contagion

Super cast, I enjoyed this even if it's not very original. I liked the way they showed the evolution of the virus and the politics that run behind finding a cure. Worth a watch, but I preferred the similarly themed Perfect Sense which I only saw a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bosnian

Lost Highway by David Lynch, starring Bill Pullman and Patricia Arquette. Masterpiece!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116922/

Also, City Of God and Tropa de Elite, two great Brazilian movies.

Horrible Bosses - Got a bit of a laugh out of this movie, but overall it was just okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

bosnian wrote: »
    Lost Highway by David Lynch, starring Bill Pullman and Patricia Arquette. Masterpiece!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116922/

Also, City Of God and Tropa de Elite, two great Brazilian movies.
    city of god is superb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Traffic- I've a feeling this is a kinda movie that'll be better the more you watch it. It was enjoyable and gripping all the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Mysterious Skin Film portrays the different lives of two young kids who were abused by their baseball coach

Really disturbing but supremely acted and directed, gives a real insight into victims of child-abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

2001: A Space Odyssey, first time ive seen it and its imagry is stuck in my mind. Has had a profound impact on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

13 Assassins looks great on blu-ray and i have never wanted a bady get his comupance so badly what a nasty peace of work .9/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Watched Thor. I dunno. It's a hard movie to rate. It's clearly made with kids in mind so I don't know if I can say it was all that bad. The opening 30 minutes were sort of pretty but at times it was like watching a cutscene from a videogame. Captain America was CG-laden but this takes green-screen to a whole new dimension and shoots it off into space.

As per usual with Marvel the protagonist has more of a collection of qualities and attributes than an actual personality. I guess he undergoes some form of 'arc' thanks to the extremely contrived rom-com nonsense that takes up an hour of the film but he still felt an awful lot like a robot. But then again maybe that's just a limitation with all of these comic movies.

I'm confused though.. Norse Gods exist in the Marvel universe? So all of mankind in Marvel-land should worship Odin? Huh.

I watched Lost Highway yesterday. I'm usually a bit wary of Lynch but I actually ended up really enjoying it. Much more than I did Mulholland Dr anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭histories

Groundhog Day - Bill Murray is brilliant. I love the bit where Andy Macdowell is describing what she looks for in a fella and he's like "this is a man we're talking about, right?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Sauna - Quite a creepy horror film out of Sweden. After the first watch I'm still a little unsure of what exactly happened, the storyline is a bit hard to follow at times, not helped by the fansubs I was using. Theres no overuse of CGI and there are some fantastic scenes. I must watch it again to get a better handle on it before passing judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

fitz0 wrote: »
    Sauna - Quite a creepy horror film out of Sweden. After the first watch I'm still a little unsure of what exactly happened, the storyline is a bit hard to follow at times, not helped by the fansubs I was using. Theres no overuse of CGI and there are some fantastic scenes. I must watch it again to get a better handle on it before passing judgement.
    Sounds like you're watching the wrong kind of Swedish sauna movies :p

Midnight in Paris - Great little movie from Woody Allen.
    Romantic Paris movie with a hint of a sci-fi twist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Father Brown - Alec Guinness detective comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Watched the departed yesterday.

Unbelievable film.
    Probably one of scorsese's best but then again i've liked nearly all of his major films
    I loved The Departed, then I watched Scorsese's Goodfellas and The Departed didn't have the same appeal to me after. Still a great film though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

real steel.. rocky 1 meets the transformers,meets the champ, still enjoyable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement