Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

histories wrote: »
    Groundhog Day - Bill Murray is brilliant. I love the bit where Andy Macdowell is describing what she looks for in a fella and he's like "this is a man we're talking about, right?"

few films have grown in stature to the degreee groundhog day has , upon release , it was seen as merley a funny movie with a clever original idea , its attained near classic status in the intervening twenty odd years , i once heard it described as a modern day its a wonderfull life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Garden of Love - really bad acting but this movie as some really nasty gory scene that is a bit over the top and makes it look really silly. 4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

Just from cineworld. Watched "Three musteketeer". Well, of course, this is not clasical adaption of the book. But it was funny, relaxing, visually very nice. I enjoyed. The costumes very beautiful. So, I spent the time very good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Hobite wrote: »
    Just from cineworld. Watched "Three musteketeer". Well, of course, this is not clasical adaption of the book. But it was funny, relaxing, visually very nice. I enjoyed. The costumes very beautiful. So, I spent the time very good. :)

did you see it in 3D?
    if you did, was the 3D any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

Tindie wrote: »
    did you see it in 3D?
    if you did, was the 3D any good?

You know I am not big fan of 3D. I think the best way to "see" 3D is to go to any animation film.

The movie would still be good without 3D imho, but the 3D effects were really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Watching joshua on RTE 1 now, has me on tinderhooks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Batman: Year One

Just watched the new Warners animated adaptation of Frank Miller's now iconic graphic novel(big influence on Batman Begins). It's a great adaptation I have to say. It's dark, gritty and very sombre. It's just as much Jim Gordon's story as it is Batman's, maybe even more so. It felt like a film noir version of Batman in many ways. Also this is not the Batman a lot of people will be used to(unless you've read the book of course), he makes mistakes, gets hurt and gets by on luck quite a few times, all and all avery compelling film. The animation is quite different to the other Warners adaptations so far, it felt more reminiscent of anime this time around but yet it still looked very much like the pages of the book. It could have done with being a little longer even as it comes in at only about an hour so its not quite full feature length. The only part I didn't like was the finale,
    the falling baby rescue was sloppily handled and there was better ways they could have done it.

Highly recommended!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Introduced someone to The Prestige last night and they were as blown away as i was the first time i watched it. It still amazes me with the multi-layered intelligence and depth and the fact that even after you have watched it a few times you will still see things you never saw before in it, cannot recommend it enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Superheroes - diverting enough documentary about real-life superheroes. A quirky bunch to say the least. Perhaps spends a bit too much time being light-hearted, and merely suggesting themes and ideas rather than exploring them in depth. Still, some surprises and some fascinating revelations throughout. Engaging overall.

A Film With Me In It - ugh. A good idea damaged by execution. Even at 80 minutes it feels overstretched, and the ending is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Lost horizon the Capra film. Not the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Never Been Kissed

stupid, unfunny, illogical, an insult (even) to the romantic comedy genre.

Don't be afraid of the dark - What the hell was that shíte!? Awful film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wake Wood - For a genuinely creepy & disturbing forty five minutes, I was ready to proclaim this the greatest Irish film of recent years. Then they pushed the occult absurdity a notch too far, never quite achieving an air of real menace or a consistent tone. It's a shame, because there are still plenty of good ideas in this. The Wicker Man would be the closest comparison in many ways. Aiden Gillen / Eve Birthistle's grieving parents make for compelling protagonists when they stumble upon their new village's secret of being able to resurrect the dead for three days (through a creepily realise ritual). There's a queasily weird vibe until the resurrection, and then it kind of shifts into standard creepy child fare. Plus, even for a concept as absurd as this, it takes a few too many leaps
    (including cinema's most accelerated pregnancy!)
    Still, a few nice twists to ensure complete apathy rarely sets in, and features what are probably cinema's friendliest, least delusional cultists.

Worth a watch, and probably Ireland's best attempt at a horror to date. That it doesn't go the whole way is quietly disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

The Corporation

A psychological analysis of 'companies' as if they were real people (which they legally are btw) that concludes they are probably psychopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Drive

Absolutely love it! The intro at the start combined with the music had a very 80's feel IMO. The pacing is perfect, I never felt myself waiting for a scene to end due to boredom. Ryan Goslings abrupt character change is amazing. His escalation of violence throughout the film is something to see. This violence might put some people off but I loved it.

Do yourself a favor and see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Red State I was really looking forward to this film after seeing a trailer in the IFI a few weeks back. I wasn't really disappointed either, it delivered exactly what the trailer promised and a bit more. While a bit heavy handed at times with its dogma-is-bad point and its slightly disjointed flow at times, it's got John Goodman.
    I like how they threw in a crack about the Westboro Baptist Church being "sue-ers, not do-ers," while protecting himself from being sued in the same sentence. Theres also an odd "Burn After Reading type talk between John Goodman and his superiors at the end that felt like a nice touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Burden of dreams - doc. about the making of the movie Fitzcarraldo. Bit silly and not as impressive as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Drive

Saw this last night, fantastic acting, cinematography and music but honestly I am not the better of the violence. Having a hangover watching it didn't help :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

The Believer
    Inspired by the true story of a klu klux klan member in the 60's who was outed as being Jewish. Starring Ryan Gosling as a young jewish man who develops anti semetic views, he gives an outstanding performance. Not the easiest of movies to watch, the scence where he meets survivors of the concentration camps is very powerfull. Would definitely recommend it.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    A good movie with a fine central performance from Gary Oldman and from the cast as a whole but the plot is fairly heavy. There was an awful lot crammed into it, would like to look at the original tv series from the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Caprica wrote: »

A good movie with a fine central performance from Gary Oldman and from the cast as a whole but the plot is fairly heavy. There was an awful lot crammed into it, would like to look at the original tv series from the 70's.

I complete disagree, I thought the film dragged, there were too many characters, none except Oldman's was developed properly. I was really bored for large parts of the film. Perhaps its one of those stories that needs to be developed over a tv series. but as a film, I wouldnt rate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Tree of Life

finally got around to seeing it and I was blown away by the imagery and soundtrack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

surprised by this, good show worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

Caprica wrote: »
    The Believer
    Inspired by the true story of a klu klux klan member in the 60's who was outed as being Jewish. Starring Ryan Gosling as a young jewish man who develops anti semetic views, he gives an outstanding performance. Not the easiest of movies to watch, the scence where he meets survivors of the concentration camps is very powerfull. Would definitely recommend it.

watching the believer now, thanks for the tip

Damned United

Fantastic soccer film about Brian Clough's 6 week stint in charge of Leeds United

Like Senna it doesn't need an interest in soccer to be enjoyed

Brilliantly acted and well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Damned United

Fantastic soccer film about Brian Clough's 6 week stint in charge of Leeds United

I thought the Damned United was quite a poor movie.
    Cliched i know but the book was much better.

In saying that i did think Sheen was excellent playing the role of Clough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Damned United

Good film if you take it as being mostly fiction. John Giles and others took legal action against Peace for falseky representing them. The Clough family were very upset by the book and film. Not to mention Leeds don't come across well
    ;)

SarahBM wrote: »
    Good film if you take it as being mostly fiction. John Giles and others took legal action against Peace for falseky representing them. The Clough family were very upset by the book and film. Not to mention Leeds don't come across well
    ;)

pinch of salt required so, nonetheless I found it very enjoyable and Sheen was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Battle Royale

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take from a movie like this. The premise (for those who aren't aware) is that a load of japanese school kids must murder each other in a contest on a desolate island (which resonates uncomfortably in light of recent events).

Anyway, it just isn't very good. It's like an anime. The gore is extremely fake and overstated. The entire premise is mind-blowingly retarded as well, but maybe there's no realy point in seriously analysing stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Joyce vs O'Donnell build up videos on YouTube.

Epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Battle Royale

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take from a movie like this. The premise (for those who aren't aware) is that a load of japanese school kids must murder each other in a contest on a desolate island (which resonates uncomfortably in light of recent events).

Anyway, it just isn't very good. It's like an anime. The gore is extremely fake and overstated. The entire premise is mind-blowingly retarded as well, but maybe there's no realy point in seriously analysing stuff like this.
    Best movie ever!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement