Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Is Inglourious Basterds worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

The Insider--Pacino,Gambon and Crowe--top notch
    Fargo--classic Coen Brothers
    The Strangers--best scarey movie around
    Misery--Kathy Bates deservedly won an Oscar
    Whatever happend to Baby Jane--Davis and Crawford at their best
    12 Angry men--great oldie
    Ice cold In Alex--another great oldie

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

watched bram stokers dracula last night for the 1st time in about ten years , incredibly underated film and only for keanu reeves ( even bad by his standards ) performance , would be a near classic , how it got snubbed at the oscars is beyond me , a crime that gary oldman has never won a golden man

Mink wrote: »
    King Kong (Peter Jackson's one) - I love this movie, seen it a few times. Very few things top the scene with Kong & the three T-rex's. Brilliant.

Babel - Not a light watch, you wouldn't want to be depressed watching it but it's very good. Great performances, particularly the deaf Japanese girl.

Seven Pounds - Will Smith & Rosario Dawson are fantastic in this. Took a long time for it to come together though with the whole plot of why he's doing what he's doing. Was good to see Woody Harrelson back, even for a smallish role.

kong 2005 is another incredibly underated film , it has a few problems though , its about 45 mins too long and the relationaship between the black 1st mate and the cabin boy is completley unesscessery and adds absolutley nothing to the film , its one of only two movies that made me cry at the cinema , the other being armageddon but i was young when i saw it in a theatre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Made of Honor

yes i am a guy, i dont know why i bothered

it was a massive chick flick !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Gran Torino - Good film, enjoyable but nothing spectacular.

The Bourne Ultimatum - Just can't get enough of these films, love them.

High Fidelty - I didn't know what to make of this tbh. It was good but a bit of a drag. John Cusack saved this, I like the guy.

Stranger than Fiction - Only alright. Well Ferrell is boring in this and the author one just annoyed me, nice film overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 drakeduckerson

I have to say Sunshine is my favourite modern film. It has such a beautiful ending. You find yourself shouting along with Cillian Murphy. Powerful.

watched wolf creek last night for the 1st time , incredibly gruesome and disturbing film , not a great film and not one i would like to see again but one you dont forget too quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

irish_bob wrote: »
    watched wolf creek last night for the 1st time , incredibly gruesome and disturbing film , not a great film and not one i would like to see again but one you dont forget too quickly
    "head on a stick"
    ... *shudder*

Still... it pales in comparison to Martyrs

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Last night I watched juste une question d'amour - gay coming out story set in France. Both sad and lovely at the same time.
    A good insight into the difficulty of coming out.
    Homophobes should be made watch it as part of their deprogramming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Watched Inglorious Basterds on Sunday. Great film!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Die Hard movies, they're great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 logitech456

The Hangover- Brilliant comedy.If you haven't seen it THEN YOU MUST WATCH IT

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

good damn it use spoilers !!
    LazyClouds wrote: »
    Agreed.

Oops, sorry lads. Didn't mean that.

Is there any way to edit the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭3nero

last movie i watched was TRAIN, i'm a big horror movie fan and this is the first movie in years that made me hide behind my hands :o

Very gorey movie, think, HOSTEL meets SAW and they get on a train together with some yank teenagers :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

The Wages of Fear (1953), definitely worth a look. It's in IMDB's top 250 films as well. I never knew that when I rented it yesterday :)

Syriana - Bought this cheap and I'm glad I did. It took a bit to get going but it engrossed me halfway through. The three sections worked well together to show several dimensions to oil and its effects. Clooney was very good in this as was Damon. To be completely honest, the merger section was very confusing in places. A smart geopolitical thriller worth a watch.
    The scenes of the boat 'attacking' the ship was very powerful as was the convoy scene.

Bovinity - Tommy Tiernan's DVD filmed in the Marquee, side-splitting funny. The man's one of my favourites. :)

Syriana - Bought this cheap and I'm glad I did. It took a bit to get going but it engrossed me halfway through. The three sections worked well together to show several dimensions to oil and its effects. Clooney was very good in this as was Damon. To be completely honest, the merger section was very confusing in places. A smart geopolitical thriller worth a watch.
    The scenes of the boat 'attacking' the ship was very powerful as was the convoy scene.

Bovinity - Tommy Tiernan's DVD filmed in the Marquee, side-splitting funny. The man's one of my favourites. :)

syrianna while perhaps a good movie was just too boring and slow for me plus its core premise was that the americans are behind everything

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Last House on the Left'

Not bad, but it lacks something I can't put my hands on. It does away with some of the more irritating aspects of Wes Cravens original, such as the inappropriate goofy music, unfunny "comedy" and adds better gore with a grittier feel. It remains faithful to the original film for the most part and adds a few bits here and there, but the 1972 version (while still incredibly over-rated) is the better film despite it's flaws.

The acting is competent, but very much by the numbers even though it's better than the original. But the characters in the 2009 version are somewhat bland, especially "Krug". Garret Dillahunt just isn't as menacing as David Hess and it all left me feeling a bit ho-hum at the end.

syrianna while perhaps a good movie was just too boring and slow for me plus its core premise was that the americans are behind everything

I can understand your point that it's boring and slow but it's a drama, trying to tell the current montous continuing and dreary world of politics, oil and current-affairs.

It's boring and slow going reflect what's probably the real situation and shatters any illusions that being a 'spy' or working for the CIA is a noble and exotic cause. Clooney (Bob) does well to show the effect the job has on him.

OT, watched Danny Boyle's 'Sunshine' the other night. I really enjoyed this, it was heart pounding stuff and the tension was up all film. Special effects were great (Simply loved the scene when Mercury passed in front of the Sun and the crew were in a daze watching it.)
    However the bomb thing puzzled me. Surely they'd need hundreds of thousands or perhaps millions of bombs to do the job? I checked up imdb.com and it said something similar.
    The actors were alright, no huge names in it as such but they done their work imo. Enjoyable, entertaining film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Sunshine was amazing up until the end, why the hell did they have to finish it like that?

If you liked that watch "moon" (2009) great movie

Going watching Hunger again tonight, really like this movie, haven't watched it since it was out in the cinema

Sunshine was amazing up until the end, why the hell did they have to finish it like that?
    When they pretty much committed suicide?

Well, the mission was a disaster up until then, comms towers destroyed, the captain died, trey was dead etc. so that might have depressed the hell out of the crew and made the mission hopeless as oxygen was falling at a huge rate.

Plus I think a little insanity crept into the mission and the crew. You hear at the start Capa saying "I'll see you in a couple of years", they were travelling to the sun for years and maybe a bout of cabin fever had set in, similar to Pinbacker.

I think the crew became obsessed with the sun too. As you see with Searle, Kanaeda. That influenced Capa no doubt.

Just my thoughts on it.
    If you liked that watch "moon" (2009) great movie

Just wiki'd this. Looks okay. I might have a look if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

When they pretty much committed suicide?

Well, the mission was a disaster up until then, comms towers destroyed, the captain died, trey was dead etc. so that might have depressed the hell out of the crew and made the mission hopeless as oxygen was falling at a huge rate.

Plus I think a little insanity crept into the mission and the crew. You hear at the start Capa saying "I'll see you in a couple of years", they were travelling to the sun for years and maybe a bout of cabin fever had set in, similar to Pinbacker.

I think the crew became obsessed with the sun too. As you see with Searle, Kanaeda. That influenced Capa no doubt.

Just my thoughts on it.

I know what you mean reachercreature but the style that they dealt with it was far from impressive, I thought it was very messy and was kinda the easy solution to the finale, I remember leaving the cinema when I first saw it saying, that could have been one of my top 10 movies and in terms of the first 2 thirds it probably was, it just suffered from a quick directionless, over the top finale, that if more grounded would have made a much better experience for me. A good movie that I think could have been a great movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

State of Play - Average enough thriller really...Crowe (even though I dont particularly like him) was good. The film suffered from some dodgy acting, Ben Afflecks characters missus was poor.
    The ending was a little meh and as the movie went on you could kind of see it coming.

Fracture - Missed this when it first came out...enjoyable thriller. A touch better than State of Play for me...it really kept you guessing till the end although I
    figured out the double jeopardy angle before it came up :coolman:

Spy Game - Liked this a lot - Redford is great in it. His usual mischievous role, similar in places to the character he played in Sneakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Watched Funny People last night. As long a 2 hr. & 20 mins. film as I'll've ever sat through. It "stars" (& I deliberately use that term quite loosely) Adam Sandler (are his' best days behind him?) & Seth Rogen.
    My viewing experience might've been afected by method as it was a pirated online version. I normally use OvGuide & select one of the multitude of options there but such is my lack of technical nous & know-how, I may regularly pick a dodgy-feed. At one stage last night it was fair-obvious where the film was edited as a scene was repeated imediately after it was shown if that makes sense. Oh & the camera must've slipped toward the end a few times as I could see the mechanism at top of screen once or twice & also could see outline of seats on one or two occasions in the theatre.
    Anyone recommend any better viewing experiences on other websites? I'm all ears, I really am.
    The plot
    basically revolved around Sandler being diagnosed with an icurable-illness & being given drugs that ondly cured 8% of sufferers & he's a stand-up comic (a not very good-one!), appoints Rogen to be his' PA & tries to get back with his' ex-missus. Brutal at explaining plotlines or doing blurbs.
    3 or 4 out-of 10 maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Last Film I Watched was 'Secret Window' - still think its a great movie.:D

donkey punch , saw it on film 4 the other night , worst british movie ive ever seen , not a single likeable charechter in the whole movie , from the scumbagy pimp to the slithery spineless wimp to the white trash thick as **** northern birds

Snesfan wrote: »
    I know what you mean reachercreature but the style that they dealt with it was far from impressive, I thought it was very messy and was kinda the easy solution to the finale, I remember leaving the cinema when I first saw it saying, that could have been one of my top 10 movies and in terms of the first 2 thirds it probably was, it just suffered from a quick directionless, over the top finale, that if more grounded would have made a much better experience for me. A good movie that I think could have been a great movie.

Gotcha. It was indeed a little aprupt and quick. Maybe budget concerns were the issues but I think it may come down to just poor direction.

Watched the Guardian last night and absolutely loved it. It really shone a light on the US. Coast Guard and the people within it. They're heroes in my light. Sound, special effects and scenes were top-class. Costner was quite good in it too but I still can't get my opinion on Kutcher. The action was intense and from the opening scene where the Jayhawk roared into view I knew I was gonna like it. The "A" school was also pretty intense and got across how difficult the program actually is. USCG members - swimmers, pilots, instructors were actually on hand to make sure the movie went right, this 'proofed' it for me that they were following the right lines. Tension is high all the way with some terrific action scenes in this compelling drama. I'll be watching it again!

donkey punch , saw it on film 4 the other night , worst british movie ive ever seen , not a single likeable charechter in the whole movie , from the scumbagy pimp to the slithery spineless wimp to the white trash thick as **** northern birds

I think that's the point of the film. None of the characters are there to be liked. I watched it awhile back and quite enjoyed it, the film did a great job of building suspense and there are some genuinely heart stopping moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I watched Sinbad and The Eye of The Tiger and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad over the weekend. Absolutely fantastic stuff. A lot of attempts at adventure films today could learn a thing or two from these. And it's funny how Ray Harryhausens effects are still better than some of the CGI crap we get nowadays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement