Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hilary Swank and Sam Rockwell in Conviction.

Flew under the radar for me and a friend gave me a lend of it. It's quite decent.

Swank trains to be a lawyer in order to get her brother out of jail. She's adamant that he's innocent and sets out to prove so.

What then ensues, being honest, is a fairly predictable, by-the-numbers movie. I saw the ending miles off and the complications were inevitable. However I didn't focus too long on it as the performances were solid. Rockwell has recieved acclaim but I felt he was plain. Swank was much better in my view, she always puts in a good shift.

Central to the film was the theme of sacrifice and devotion. How far would one go to help or protect another? This theme is normally carried out in terms of war films or films that show immediate danger along with medicinal dramas. Conviction takes a different route - a sister studying for years to be a lawyer while the brother must fend off suicidal thoughts to remain alive and hopeful. Waters (Swank) lost portions of her family and her youth in order to try and fight her brother's case. It's a compelling and often startling commentary on how far one would go for a friend, sibling or partner.

So it's recommended. Nothing mindblowing but it's a solid show. The themes above carry it and are ever-present throughout with some good performances.
    A few months after he was released he fell off a wall and died!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

A few months after he was released he fell off a wall and died!

I know.
    That put a stinker on the whole thing. Almost as if the whole venture (in real life) was fruitless. But the director said he "died free". Still, that sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I skipped the "climax" and just watched the bit where they un-freeze him

I reckon the avengers will be ****e, a mixture of average films
    Yeah, I don't get the appeal of the current crop of Marvel Films at all. At the risk of generalising it seems to be only the comic fans who find anything worthwhile in them. It's a load of quickly produced mass-market rubbish.

I'm sure Spiderman will be better.. The series has always been good bar that one blip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't get the appeal of the current crop of Marvel Films at all. At the risk of generalising it seems to be only the comic fans who find anything worthwhile in them. It's a load of quickly produced mass-market rubbish.

I'm sure Spiderman will be better.. The series has always been good bar that one blip.

You can generally gauge how good a comic book film will be by the quality of the director

Nolan: Batman, good
    Del Toro: Hellboy, good

Others, like Green Lantern, Captain America and Fantastic Four are immensely forgettable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Soldier: Just stumbled upon this film by chance on TCM liked the sound of it so recorded it, it was only today after watching the first half hour or so that id seen it before.

Unlike most films you remember from years ago this one still stands its own ground, now Kurt Russell isnt going to win any awards for it I think he barely says 50 words in the entire film. But a great sci fi action movie it is, plenty of action scenes you can actually watch unlike modern action were they like to bounce the camera around to try give the real feel and although the story line is far from amazing the whole film manages to keep your attention throughout. One id definetly recommend, especially if you a fan of Kurt Russell films Escape from New York, Escape from L.A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Just watching Independence Day at the moment. Still very entertaining :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Murder by Numbers
    Interesting film, decent story.
    Was reading a preview and told to expect a Sixth Sense style twist at the end
    Well I never saw it anyway :confused:
    I'm taking a dislike to Michael Pitt as an actor also
    Average film, worth a watch

The Believer
    Ryan Gosling as a Jew who ends up hating Jews but remains conflicted throughout. Very interesting, I would definitely recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I watched Independence Day last night because I'd never seen it and for some reason it was one of those movies I wanted to see. OH DEAR GOD what a mistake. It was one of the biggest piles of absolute crap I've ever seen and I've watched a lot of crap. I was going to switch and watch something else but then I wouldn't be able to say I watched it all and it got worse as it went on. I wish, oh how I wish there was a drug or procedure you could undergo to remove things like this from the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I watched Independence Day last night because I'd never seen it and for some reason it was one of those movies I wanted to see. OH DEAR GOD what a mistake. It was one of the biggest piles of absolute crap I've ever seen and I've watched a lot of crap. I was going to switch and watch something else but then I wouldn't be able to say I watched it all and it got worse as it went on. I wish, oh how I wish there was a drug or procedure you could undergo to remove things like this from the memory.

You probably didn't like it because you never saw it before

budgemook wrote: »
    You probably didn't like it because you never saw it before

I'm not sure what you mean? I didn't like it cause the acting was crap, the direction was crap, the whole America is the best country in the world being shoved down my throat and the repeated father / son theme, not to mention the love will conquere all Búll****.
    At one stage I was thinking: is this a comedy? It must be a comdey?
    But no, it's just one of the worst movies ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thankfully I ignore the opinions of anyone who hasn't see Independence Day within 14 years of its release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm not sure what you mean? I didn't like it cause the acting was crap, the direction was crap, the whole America is the best country in the world being shoved down my throat and the repeated father / son theme, not to mention the love will conquere all Búll****.

I was 15 when I saw it and it was class. Every time I like it now it's because of nostalgia. That's what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Watched Tremors last night. God i love that movie. Great fun and doesnt doesnt take itself seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I hated it with a vengance too. Watched it when it was released and couldnt believe how bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Crazy Stupid Love last night and despite it falling into some of the typical romcom pitfalls as a whole I enjoyed it!

Gosling is an actor I'm watching more and more of and while this is a movie in which he doesn't have to flex his acting muscles too much - he still comes across well comically speaking.

Carel is quite good in it also and both himself and Gosling are well supported.

Didn't like the way it wound to a close but overall would recommend it

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hmmm...one of the most mind numbingly irritating films I've ever seen. Bloody awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Julias Eyes

Bit disappointing if I'm being honest, great cinematography but was ruined by a stupid twist and can lag at times

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

Yesterday I was in "Real steel"

It was much more better than I expected. Really enjoyed. The effect are not very prominet, but the story is nice. Maybe a little bit standard but still intresting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

guys guys dont get to pent up about it and accept it for what it is

A POPCORN EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Independence Day is what it is lads - a big ball of cheesey crap with explosions for you to watch popcorn with

Nobody ever said it deserved an oscar :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I hate it too but I love the scene where Will Smith says 'Welcome to Earth' before punching the alien's lights out and pulling him out of his spacecraft. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭cml387

I don't recommend you watch The Day After Tomorrow, by the same "auteur".

And I definitely recommend you don't watch 2012 if you wish to retain your sanity.

cml387 wrote: »
    I don't recommend you watch The Day After Tomorrow, by the same "auteur".

And I definitely recommend you don't watch 2012 if you wish to retain your sanity.

They will be avoided like the plague - thank you.
    Popcorn is also the devils work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

ronald emerich cant write charecthers to save his life , pure cardboard and cliche driven , hes worse than michael bay in that hes terminally bland , at least bay gives you a laugh occasionally with his obnoxiousness

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

Sometimes the best comedies come out of films that were not meant as such:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

American Graffiti - Well I liked the yellow deuce coupe but I couldn't get into the film. Dang Harrison Ford is annoying in it. I'm not searching out More American Graffiti anyway.

THX 1138 - Shame George Lucas went insane with CGI. Then again, I have no idea what tinkering he did for the version I saw. Really like the opening (with the
    doors blasting off their hinges
    ) and closing (
    the chase and THX getting away because his pursuers had gone overbudget
    ). Wasn't so big on all the white and I wasn't convinced that
    SRT was a hologram
    . Love those androids though.

Naruto the Movie 3: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom - Stupid motivation for the villain who
    commits regicide to take the throne because the king was going to give money to the poor
    ... Movie felt drawn out and padded with the first half hour of the movie almost irrelevant to the rest of the film.

I Sell The Dead - "A comedy-horror classic... surpasses Shaun of the Dead". If you say so, DVD cover.
    Obvious twist in Ron Perlman being Samuel Murphy when he was the only member of the family shown in silhouette.
    I lost all interest in the film when the protagonists were
    relatively fine with encountering the supernatural. The alien especially.
    The switch from normality was too abrupt. I think a period movie which established that the graverobbers
    sought zombies, vampires etc.
    from the start would have been a more entertaining film. Apparently there's some desire for a sequel. I could get into that.

Planet of the Apes - Never realised how unlikeable Taylor is in this. "It's a madhouse!" Okay, you go back to your plan of being king of the mutes.

The Time Traveler's Wife - I watched the story play out over Doctor Who this past year. It's... alright, I guess. The concept's more interesting than the film.
    Bana's interactions with his future wife as a child
    is creepy.

Hot Tub Time Machine - Meh.

Round Ireland with a Fridge - It's got this general feeling of fakeness running through it that I couldn't put my finger on until I read on a thread here about it mostly being filmed in England. "We were originally going to film for the whole six weeks in Ireland, but actually found that pubs in England look more Irish". You know, there's a whole series of sketches in Monkey Dust where a bar goes through various themes in order to attract customers including Irish which sees the Irish barman ousted for not being Irish enough. It's the kind of logic that gives me nose bleeds. ;)

Planet Hulk - 'Salright. Nice to see the
    Beta Ray Bill
    cameo.

Hellboy: Blood and Stone - I will find a Hellboy story I like. I'm determined to since I like the concept. I think Blood and Stone tried to do too much on the monster front.

Green Lantern - I watched the extended edition. Yeesh. Mishandled in my opinion. That Green Lantern motif is the intro of the Superman theme clipped for a start. tongue.gif Too many crashes. The start of the movie is trying to explain too much information that could be spread out through the rest of the film. The flashback of Jordan's father is unecessary as all the important parts were repeated later on, plus cutting that part would have made
    his father's death
    less unintentionally hilarious. Don't call it the "yellow power" call it the "yellow impurity". I think it sounds better but it also explains that it's not a good thing and suggests it has a corrupting influence per Parallax's nature. Should have explained the emotional spectrum to back up willpower/green as the strongest force to show why the Guardians eventually settled on that. After all, you display ALL the colours in the credits (and the title font from the comics for some reason) and I think the audience could assume the rest of the central power batteries are buried elsewhere on Oa. If they're not, it's something for a sequel. It's good that Sinestro's
    eventual villainy was kept for another film (unlike in the trailer...) but the post-credit sequence was dumb. No real reason given for him wanting the yellow ring. Should have had Parallax's voice telling the yellow power ring to find someone like Abin Sur did.

I thought Ryan Reynolds was fine for what he had to work with though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Trespass -poor
    The Guard - Worse
    Captain America - Not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Trespass -poor
    The Guard - Worse

The Guard was feckin brilliant.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

Up In The Air- Bit of a deflated ending but I suppose it wasn't predictable
    Synecdoche, New York- Strange film, need to watch again
    The White Ribbon- Very impressive
    Strangers On A Train- Classic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Trespass -poor
    The Guard - Worse

Jeez what age are you 10? captain america was better than the guard???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement