Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

crazygeryy wrote: »

Jeez what age are you 10? captain america was better than the guard???

And you're definitely showing your maturity with a comment like that. Have a bit of cop on please.

And yes, I also don't subscribe to the cult of the Guard. Alright, but uneven to the extreme. At least Captain America was consistent within its narrow confines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Up In The Air- Bit of a deflated ending but I suppose it wasn't predictable

Really enjoyed that movie thought they got the casting spot on and it was a movie that provided a nice change of pace imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Trespass -poor
    The Guard - Worse
    Captain America - Not bad

Thought the Guard was overrated but very watchable and had some good laughs

CA on the other hand was painfully bland other than a decent opening 30 minutes

Real Steel - I just turned my brain off and enjoyed this movie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Guard
    The trailer looked excellent and a few have told me it was a very good film.

Looked pretty cheap looking, a bit like a TV show if that makes sense
    Plot-holes everywhere

Yeah it's a comedy so I'm not expecting a complex plot but if it fails at even being funny apart from a few parts
    "I'm Irish, racism is in my nature" was the best line.
    Disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The bridge on the river kwai on blu ray. Another excellent transfer for a great movie. Now can we please have Lawrence of Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Jeez what age are you 10? captain america was better than the guard???

Yeah I didn't like it,same old jokes,Besides what wrong with having an opinion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Limitless watched it the other night not expecting much but was pleasantly suprised really really enjoyed , Makes you think what if they ever made a drug like that would be fantastic lol

Quarantine 2 Poor follow up to the 1st which was quite good this was terrible though took away the handheld camera which worked great in the 1st and tried to make a proper movie crappy plot thrown in and all very dissapointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

PaulieC wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that movie thought they got the casting spot on and it was a movie that provided a nice change of pace imo

Yea no, had no problems with...suppose I turned soft and hoped georgie boy would end up with that fine dame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

mikemac wrote: »
    The Guard
    The trailer looked excellent and a few have told me it was a very good film.

Looked pretty cheap looking, a bit like a TV show if that makes sense
    Plot-holes everywhere

Yeah it's a comedy so I'm not expecting a complex plot but if it fails at even being funny apart from a few parts
    "I'm Irish, racism is in my nature" was the best line.
    Disappointed

I thought first time around it was pretty hilarious. Second time however it fell. The jokes are a once off...unlike In Bruges and it's definitely no Withnail & I where you could watch it every year and still find it as witty as the first time you saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RopeDrink wrote: »

Kill The Irishman:

Solid movie, watchable cast acting out events based on truth regarding an Irish/American taking on the mob in want of power control during the 70's. Movie is spliced with real-footage which gives it a small but positive edge. Well acted, lot of explosions, no real twists just a straightforward gangster tale. Occasional humour in dialogue and scenes break up an otherwise gritty/brutal movie.

I thought it was an enjoyable enough film and Stevenson was good but did you not find all that celtic warrior stuff fairly cringeworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

RopeDrink wrote: »
    POTC: On Stranger Tides

Quite liked the previous PotC movies but this... Well... Let's just say it looked and felt like a complete waste of time. Movie had very little of interest to offer, uninspiring chase scenes, the usual sword-fights... In my fathers words, it just wasn't exciting or funny. JDepp as per usual was great as Captain Jack Sparrow but ultimately I think all three of us admitted that it was little more than meh...

I thought they could have done a lot more with Blackbeard as well, he was a much more interesting character than the priest or the mermaid. Depp and Rush made it some bit watchable but very forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Watched contagion,insidious,inception and my sisters keeper in the last couple of days,contagion was good but not as good as i expected,insidious was really interesting,goes a bit over the top near the end but was still really good,inception i thought was very poor,couldnt get into it but sisters keeper was just brilliant,loved it!!!:)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought it was an enjoyable enough film and Stevenson was good but did you not find all that celtic warrior stuff fairly cringeworthy?
    Forgot about that one,it was actually not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Death of a salesman - the Dustin Hoffman one. Above average but more of a TV movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭p to the e

Watched a film on late last night called "Bigga than Ben" about two Russian immigrants trying to make a living in London by ripping off the system. Some very funny moments and some very poignant scenes. Recommended.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831275/

Primer

made on a measly budget of 7k it's possibly the best sci fi I've ever seen

On a fraction of the budget of inception it's ten times the film

Really mind blowing but it takes a lot of concentration and is best watched alone

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Primer

Really mind blowing but it takes a lot of concentration and is best watched alone

Brain melting stuff once it unravels the concept, its definitely something thats worth rewatching one you know how it winds up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Primer is an absolute gem of a film. I've tried to convince people to watch it but they either turn off at the mention of a sci-fi movie, can't handle the plot or just don't listen to me.

I watched it without knowing anything about it off the back of a recommendation. The less you know going into it the better.
    It took close to an hour before I realised the movie was about time travel!

fitz0 wrote: »
    Primer is an absolute gem of a film. I've tried to convince people to watch it but they either turn off at the mention of a sci-fi movie, can't handle the plot or just don't listen to me.

I watched it without knowing anything about it off the back of a recommendation. The less you know going into it the better.
    It took close to an hour before I realised the movie was about time travel!

I knew the premise but I really wasn't expecting it to be as mind-blowing as it was

The only film (apart from Mulholland Drive) that I felt compelled to watch again straight after, it's even better on the second viewing as you start to piece together the holes

Also....how good is the ****in soundtrack!

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Primer

9/10

How To Train a Dragon

Two great films in one day!

Better than Toy Story 3 IMO, which is no mean feat given how good TS3 is

The emotional depth of it is fascinating

The animation is so slick and imaginative I really can't think of too many animated films that look better

Quality voice acting and a strong plot and although you have a good idea of where things are going it's hard to care when the journeys this good

9/10

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bad Teacher

Pretty funny if predictable movie. Cameron Diaz is obviously having lots of fun with the role, also thought Timberlake's character was very funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just watched Cedar Rapids.
    My kind of movie, very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Saw mississippi burning last night, some film.

Watched the latest Harry Potter,much better than the first part of Deathly Hallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched Hurt Locker on TV last night. The fact that I waited this long and tells you something. It was OK, I suppose, but with some major flaws. Those GIs, especially the Ranger "new guy" were behaving in ways that would have got them court-martialled. You don't screw around when defusing bombs, do you? Except in the movies, of course.

Then they head out to the desert ... for no apparent reason. Seems to me like that section was inserted just to show them doing something more cinematic than defusing bombs. The whole thing was very episodic.

But the worst aspect, by far, was the camera work. I am so over the "shaky cam" fad: get a flipping tripod and learn to use it, please - or rent a Steadicam or something. Then study how the great cinematographers handled lighting, framing etc. Action scenes can sometimes benefit from some kinetic camerawork (e.g. the Bourne films), but there's no reason for dark, shaky, grainy footage when two guys are sitting in a room talking. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    But the worst aspect, by far, was the camera work. I am so over the "shaky cam" fad: get a flipping tripod and learn to use it, please. Then study how the great cinematographers handled lighting, framing etc.
    A major reason why modern movies suck big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Nolanger wrote: »
    A major reason why modern movies suck big time.
    Some modern movies use this technique, therefore all modern movies suck?

Doesn't make sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »
    Some modern movies use this technique, therefore all modern movies suck?

Doesn't make sense.

Don't even bother. The guy is a broken record. A reaction was the only thing that post was designed for.

• Advertisement

Won't bother writing another post now. Read this instead! http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_7136/is_200807/ai_n32286267/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement