Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Rewatched To Kill A Mockingbird tonight as it had been years since my last viewing of it.

Such a great film with not one poorly played role in the film. Even those with only a few lines in the film played their parts to perfection.

Gregory Peck is majestic, and the three kids were brilliant. Had also forgotten how vile and hateful the character of Bob Ewell is.

It is a film that, despite having many differences to the book it is based on, manages to capture the essence of the novel with some aplomb. The only thing that I wish was in the film is what Boo Radley said in the book as it really would have worked so well in the film imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    How To Train a Dragon

Two great films in one day!

Better than Toy Story 3 IMO, which is no mean feat given how good TS3 is

The emotional depth of it is fascinating

The animation is so slick and imaginative I really can't think of too many animated films that look better

Quality voice acting and a strong plot and although you have a good idea of where things are going it's hard to care when the journeys this good

9/10

one of the best films, not just animated films, of 2010, fantastic movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Inception for the first time tonight. Yeah it was entertaining and all that but I didnt think it was anyway near as good as it was made out to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was finally forced to watch The Conversation for college, it having been one on my 'must watch' list for the guts of two or three years.

Spine-tingling filmmaking. An unrivaled sense of paranoia, and the plot always plays out in unexpected ways. Walter Murch has achieved editorial transcendence with this bad boy - the sound design is one-of-a-kind. Probably even more relevant today than it was at the time, although it's still distinctly 70s (Cold War suspicions and clunky machinery ahoy!).

Almost impossible to fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Rabbit Proof Fence
    Jason Clarke and Kenneth Branagh, superb I thought
    Meh, the film passed me by.
    Wasn't impressed
    Of course the subject mater isn't one where you sit back and expect to be entertained but even then I didn't like the film
    Jason Clarke very underused, barely any lines at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Life of Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mike65 wrote: »
    Life of Brian.
    watched it last year after a break of a few years!...did you see the george harrison cameo and beatle impersonation??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Mr. Nice

A very good story and I must read the book when I get a chance.

The only issues I have with it were that at times it looked incredibly cheap - when actors are in cars the backgrounds look fake - as in 1940's movie driving scenes fake

The movie deserved a bit better....thought Rys was brilliant in the leading role, but some of the supporting characters were annoying.

Overall about 6.5 out of 10

bnt wrote: »
    Watched Hurt Locker on TV last night. The fact that I waited this long and tells you something. It was OK, I suppose, but with some major flaws. Those GIs, especially the Ranger "new guy" were behaving in ways that would have got them court-martialled. You don't screw around when defusing bombs, do you? Except in the movies, of course.

Then they head out to the desert ... for no apparent reason. Seems to me like that section was inserted just to show them doing something more cinematic than defusing bombs. The whole thing was very episodic.

But the worst aspect, by far, was the camera work. I am so over the "shaky cam" fad: get a flipping tripod and learn to use it, please - or rent a Steadicam or something. Then study how the great cinematographers handled lighting, framing etc. Action scenes can sometimes benefit from some kinetic camerawork (e.g. the Bourne films), but there's no reason for dark, shaky, grainy footage when two guys are sitting in a room talking. :rolleyes:
    interesting...i watched it and thought it was pretty dire and dull, and wondered what the fuss was about...Then i heard US Soldiers saying it was as real as a movie can get to the reality of war, ie war is boring. So i have it chalked down to watch again with that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

watched it last year after a break of a few years!...did you see the george harrison cameo and beatle impersonation??

Nope, I spotted Spike Milligan this time though! :p Looking at it again I was struck by how crude some of the film edits are and that some scenes would have been funnier without the needless rejoinder line of dialogue at the end.

Did you see The BBC4 play "Holy Flying Circus" about the LoB controversy? Very good.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Nope, I spotted Spike Milligan this time though! :p Looking at it again I was struck by how crude some of the film edits are and that some scenes would have been funnier without the needless rejoinder line of dialogue at the end.

Did you see The BBC4 play "Holy Flying Circus" about the LoB controversy? Very good.
    I missed it. Will see it soon i'm sure...Gerorge harrison is in a crowd jostling brian, and john cleese introduces him.."this is the man letting us have the mount on sunday" and then you hear this stereotypical liverpool beatles impression!! funny...
    yeah wasn't spike on his holidays in morrocco when he found the python crew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Das Boot - the Directors Cut. A classic anti-war movie from the German perspective. Claustrophobic, utterly convincing picture of U boat warfare and with a great soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Saw mississippi burning last night, some film.

Mississippi burning is a classic,I love this film.Gene Hackman is brilliant in this , one of his best performances.In fact all the actors are top notch in this film.Its the type of film that will still be great in 50years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mississippi burning is a classic,I love this film.Gene Hackman is brilliant in this , one of his best performances.In fact all the actors are top notch in this film.Its the type of film that will still be great in 50years.

I dont think R. lee ermeys role suited him to be honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Das Boot - the Directors Cut. A classic anti-war movie from the German perspective. Claustrophobic, utterly convincing picture of U boat warfare and with a great soundtrack.

You know, Ive never seen Das Boot, and I watch a hell of a lot of films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

adox wrote: »
    You know, Ive never seen Das Boot, and I watch a hell of a lot of films.

you should remedy that,close the curtains,lights off,turn up volume.. awesome film

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Thor.

Please save yourself the pain and don't watch it. Ever. Absolute drivel. Not even funny. Just plain brewtal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its a pity Hackman has retired from acting, one of the most watchable actors ever.

krudler wrote: »
    Its a pity Hackman has retired from acting, one of the most watchable actors ever.
    Thought he was brilliant in The Chamber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

good show. statham, clive owen and dominic purcell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

i like how hackmans charechter in missisippi burning is just one or two steps away from a red neck himself , he understands the hicks , admitted his daddy was one at one point , hes a complex charechter , in sharp contrast to the robotic beauracrat that willem dafoe plays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

superb, Nicholas cage at his best, 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

superb, Nicholas cage at his best, 10/10

Nicolas Cage has a best that merits 10/10? :eek: must check that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Win Win

Excellent film

Darkly funny at times and very touching

8/10

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Win Win

Excellent film

Darkly funny at times and very touching

8/10
    Loved it - the humour in it was very dry but hilarious I thought

Giamatti is very good in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

PaulieC wrote: »
    Loved it - the humour in it was very dry but hilarious I thought

Giamatti is very good in it

I recommend Greenberg

Similar humour but more of a character study than a plot driven narrative

One of my favourite films and without a doubt Ben Stillers best performance

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Maximum 40 Characters

Company Men -Follows the lives of 3 well paid workers/bosses who are made redundant and how it affected their lives.Enjoyable enough. Ben Affleck needs subtitles tho,i can only understand every third word he says 6/10

Into The Wild -Some selfish twat dies on a bus 3/10. Mostly for Vedder's soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Into The Wild -Some selfish twat dies on a bus 3/10. Mostly for Vedder's soundtrack

really liked that movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I saw The Adventures of Tintin last night. While I never read the comics, I was a fan of the TV show when I was younger.

The movie is well worth seeing. It is action-packed and funny, with a good story written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish. Spielberg uses the technology well and some scenes, like
    the bike chase through the streets of Bakkhar[sp?]
    , are brilliantly done.

The voice actors all do a good job also, especially Serkis' Captain Haddock. I'm looking forward to a sequal anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Otacon wrote: »
    I saw The Adventures of Tintin last night. While I never read the comics, I was a fan of the TV show when I was younger.

The movie is well worth seeing. It is action-packed and funny, with a good story written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish. Spielberg uses the technology well and some scenes, like
    the bike chase through the streets of Bakkhar[sp?]
    , are brilliantly done.

The voice actors all do a good job also, especially Serkis' Captain Haddock. I'm looking forward to a sequal anyway.

2D or 3D? mulling over which to see, said I was done with 3D after Transformers but I'm wondering if it might work better with animation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement