Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Mickeroo wrote: »
    2D or 3D? mulling over which to see, said I was done with 3D after Transformers but I'm wondering if it might work better with animation.

I saw it in 3D. It wasn't bad but if I had had the choice, I would have seen it in 2D. There are a few scenes of things poking out at you but the only scene I believe benefits from 3D TBH is the one I mention above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

really liked that movie...

I really liked enjoyed it too. Sadly the wooden Kirsten Stewart is in it but as a whole I thought it was excellent. For me 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I recommend Greenberg

Similar humour but more of a character study than a plot driven narrative

One of my favourite films and without a doubt Ben Stillers best performance
    You had me until you mentioned Stiller

I'll prob check it out anyway tbh :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

PaulieC wrote: »

Greenberg is well worth a look! It has the lovely Greta Gerwig in it too!! It's not for everyone though, the humour's quite subtle and a lot of people don't seem to find his character very likeable.

Greenberg is well worth a look! It has the lovely Greta Gerwig in it too!! It's not for everyone though, the humour's quite subtle and a lot of people don't seem to find his character very likeable.
    Have you seen Win Win the movie that's brought the comparison to Greenberg out of Fishooks12 - because the humour in that was quite subtle and I loved it

I'll more than likely watch it just need to find time this weekend in between getting drunk :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have you seen Win Win the movie that's brought the comparison to Greenberg out of Fishooks12 - because the humour in that was quite subtle and I loved it

I'll more than likely watch it just need to find time this weekend in between getting drunk :pac:

No not yet, but its high on my list of films to watch :D Tom McCarthy, the director of it made two other brilliant films called The Visitor and The Station Agent. Track them down if you've not seen them. The Station Agent is an all time favourite of mine.

No not yet, but its high on my list of films to watch :D Tom McCarthy, the director of it made two other brilliant films called The Visitor and The Station Agent. Track them down if you've not seen them. The Station Agent is an all time favourite of mine.
    That's very weird because I came across that movie on imdb last week and thought the summary sounded a bit uneventful but figured that the rating from imdb looked good - anything above 7.5 tends to be to my liking - genre depending.

It's on my list....now please stop adding to my list it's growing out of control!! :pac:

That's very weird because I came across that movie on imdb last week and thought the summary sounded a bit uneventful but figured that the rating from imdb looked good - anything above 7.5 tends to be to my liking - genre depending.

It's on my list....now please stop adding to my list it's growing out of control!! :pac:

I'ts extremely uneventful plotwise but its brilliant nonetheless :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Man of Iron - Polish union movie from the '80s starring Lech Wałęsa!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm just liking this because I applaud anyone who recognises the inherent loveliness of Gerwig. But yes, I do like Greenberg too: Noah Baumbach, Mark Duplass and Gerwig = success!

These are still her best films, by the way:

There's also Hannah Take the Stairs if you can't get enough of her, but it's pretty by the indie numbers. I often think of where she has ended up (in dodgy Russell Brand films) and weep openly.

I still am surprised by the positive reactions to Win Win. I really like McCarthy (The Visitor particularly) but for me it was insufferably twee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

It's Stiller like you've never seen him

Also Rhys Ivans is in the film and he's brilliant too

And I normally hate him

Terri

Enjoyable, beautifully shot and touching in parts

I was slightly disappointed given the praise it received at Sundance

John C Reilly is excellent

7/10

Super 8

This kind of passed me by in the summer time and only got around to watching it now. I thought it was great, loved the nostalgia of it. It kept me guessing most of the way through as to what was actually happening too. One part John Carpenter and 3 parts Spielberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Otacon wrote: »
    I saw The Adventures of Tintin last night. While I never read the comics, I was a fan of the TV show when I was younger.

The movie is well worth seeing. It is action-packed and funny, with a good story written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish. Spielberg uses the technology well and some scenes, like
    the bike chase through the streets of Bakkhar[sp?]
    , are brilliantly done.

The voice actors all do a good job also, especially Serkis' Captain Haddock. I'm looking forward to a sequal anyway.

I saw TinTin last night also.

I must say; I absolutely bloody loved it.

My favourite film of all time is "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and Tintin (for me anyway!) managed to capture the "Indiana Jones adventure" feel even better than Kingdom of the Crystal skull!

Of course, everyone's opinion is different, but for me, 4.5 stars out of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

barone wrote: »
    you should remedy that,close the curtains,lights off,turn up volume.. awesome film

Think I`m gonna pick this(Das Boot)up on Blu-ray. I`m pretty sure its going cheap in HMV?

Also is the directors cut over an hour longer, making it over 3hours, and which is the better version?

adox wrote: »
    Think I`m gonna pick this(Das Boot)up on Blu-ray. I`m pretty sure its going cheap in HMV?

Also is the directors cut over an hour longer, making it over 3hours, and which is the better version?

It's in the 2 for 18 offer on atm. Picked it up with Candyman yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

adox wrote: »

its been a while but from what i remember the original was best, its usually on every xmas on tv aswell ,round new years, if you wanna wait

Super 8

Took a week long break from the big budget block busters after the dismal Captain America so I decided to give Super 8 a whirl to reinstate my faith in mainstream Hollywood

The pacing is somewhat uneven for the first hour but everything seems to click for the second

Nothing really unique about it and some of the caricaturisation is a bit sloppy but I wasn't expecting to much of that anyway

It's still very watchable and good for a lazy night in when you want to switch the brain off

6.5/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Damned United

Michael Sheen is immense in it! If you don't know much about football or Clough I'd look up some youtube videos just to see how accurately Sheen portrays Clough, its the best impersonation/acting I've seen.

Anyway what I watched recently: The Usual Suspects, a movie I meant to watch for years and finally got the DVD, brilliant movie, definitely reccomend it, Kevin Spacey is amazing and a great story to boot.

FearDark wrote: »
    Michael Sheen is immense in it! If you don't know much about football or Clough I'd look up some youtube videos just to see how accurately Sheen portrays Clough, its the best impersonation/acting I've seen.

He gets his mannerisms spot on alright. Interestingly though a lot of the plot is pure fantasy, the film even resulted in a number of lawsuits from players who were portrayed falsely in it

Not that it matter for me, still a great film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Uncle Buck, comedy classic. Can still picture the head mistress' face when meeting Candy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Witness

Liked it a lot, Harrison Ford is the man

First film for Viggo Mortenson also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Die Hard
    It was on e4 a few nights ago. What can be said about this classic. Its still an awesome movie.

Die Hard 2
    After watching the first why not watch the second. Really love it. Still an awesome movie.

Die Hard 4
    Seen it about twice already. But seeing as how I was on a Die Hard-athon I tried to watch it again. I just cant. Its a terrible Die Hard sequel. Sure, if you take away the Die Hard name and just enjoy it for being an action movie. Its ok. Its watchable. But even then I don't think you could watch it more than once. Its nothing compared to the previous movies.

Die Hard 5 is probably going to be utter crap too.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Die Hard
    It was on e4 a few nights ago. What can be said about this classic. Its still an awesome movie.

My favourite christmas film behind National Lampoons Christmas!

I saw Paranormal Activity 3 last night, It was better than I expected but as the age old adage goes: "It got a bit Shi*e at the end"

Why cant hollywood finish films? Almost 90% of the reviews for mainstream films I've seen all seem to say that the ending was a let down/ridiculous/stupid/lazy etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The Son of No One

Passable cop thriller with Al Pacino, Ray Liota and Channing Tatum. Pacino only really appears briefly and yer man Tatum couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, I don't know why he gets the lead in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Inglorious Basterds: I thought it was pretty good but some things about it bothered me. First of all I really didn't like the sadistic relish Tarantino had for letting us see eli roth beating a nazi to death with a baseball bat, and also brad pitt was totally miscast in his role with his stupid accent and jutting jaw; he's still far too pretty and Tarantino should have given the role to someone older and more hard-bitten, like a Keitel style actor. I thought the best performances were by all the foreign actors - Michael Fassbender, Mike Myers, Pitt and others were all very hammy, whereas Til Schweiger, Christopher Waltz and Daniel Bruhl effortlessly had the charisma and the menace that the English-speaking actors lacked. Also some scenes and characters were very tacked on - Fassbender's and Diane Kruger's especially and as good as the basement scene was, what purpose did it serve really only to add a suspenseful set-piece to the movie? Would the SS officer really have confronted them in that manner when he discovered that Fassbender was lying? Surely he'd have left the bar and returned with backup or else gone over to the table of drunken German soldiers and told them to get ready for action? I think Tarantino likes Mexican standoffs too much; they cloud his judgement :). Also, his penchant interconnecting stories can get a bit tiresome. Sometimes I just want to tell tarantino focus on telling one story well rather than trying to tie up different story strands into one lovely bow. It's not Seinfeld for god's sake. For all the talk of Inglorious Basterds and their fearsome reputation, we didn't actually see too much action from them in their full lineup. Mostly it was post battle clubbings and scalpings. The really interesting characters in the lineup were wasted and then at the end we have two bumbling basterds prancing around the cinema pretending to be waiters rather than having the maniacal schweiger character going bat**** amongst all the nazis. What a waste. 7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Watched Parked last night with herself. It was ok, the Cathal character didnt really pull off the Dublin scanger look and his accent slipped a bit too. He looked like a male model that didnt brush his teeth more then a strung out junkie.

Meany kept the whole thing afloat with his performance and it was nicely shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's in the 2 for 18 offer on atm. Picked it up with Candyman yesterday.

There are two different versions on blu ray.

Both are the directors cut but there is a difference in picture quality.

The one to get is the one that was released last month. It comes with a cardboard slipcase over the plastic cover and DAS BOOT is in gold lettering on the slipcase cover. It is part of the Sony series which all come with slipcovers with the same colour lettering. Other blu ray releases in this series include Stand By Me, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and The Guns Of Navarone.

Not sure what version is in the HMV offer.

Kess73 wrote: »
    There are two different versions on blu ray.

Both are the directors cut but there is a difference in picture quality.

The one to get is the one that was released last month. It comes with a cardboard slipcase over the plastic cover and DAS BOOT is in gold lettering on the slipcase cover. It is part of the Sony series which all come with slipcovers with the same colour lettering. Other blu ray releases in this series include Stand By Me, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and The Guns Of Navarone.

Not sure what version is in the HMV offer.

There has only been one UK release of Das Boot on Blu-Ray and that's the one which was released in September as part of the Sony classics range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

There has only been one UK release of Das Boot on Blu-Ray and that's the one which was released in September as part of the Sony classics range.

Picked it up tonight in their 2 for 18 euro offer along with Zodiac(another that I havent seen).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement