Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Human Centipede 2, absolute horsesh1t. skipped through some of it it was so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Zodiac - watched it for the third time the other day, but this time on blu ray. An absolute gem of a movie with Robert Downey Jnr. and Mark Ruffalo giving brilliant performances. How this film got overlooked at the oscars is a bigger mystery than zodiac's identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Zodiac - watched it for the third time the other day, but this time on blu ray. An absolute gem of a movie with Robert Downey Jnr. and Mark Ruffalo giving brilliant performances. How this film got overlooked at the oscars is a bigger mystery than zodiac's identity.

absolutely brilliant movie, great cast, cracking soundtrack, great story. the scene at the lake is still creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

On the subject of Zodiac i found it real boring. Like it was interesting up until a certain point ... then boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just watched 'The Boat that Rocked' there, what an offensively bland film, fcuking hated it, too hungover to try to find something else to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Zombieland tonight. Maybe I just wasnt really in the mood for it but it wasnt as good as I remembered from the cinema. It was grand but I found my attention wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

Pirates of the Caribbean 4.
    Read lots of negative reviews but liked it anyway :) Jack is still wonderful, Angelica is lovely, Blackbeard is charismatic, their jokes are funny. But that whatshisname priest was so annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moltisanti

A Bronx Tale on tv3 tonight. really enjoyed it
    De Niro's directorial debut too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Birneybau wrote: »
    Just watched 'The Boat that Rocked' there, what an offensively bland film, fcuking hated it, too hungover to try to find something else to watch.
    Yeah, I found it crap too. And I paid to see it in the cinema unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not trying to be pedantic now but if a horror film scared you how can you say it wasn't any good? :pac:

Because it was way to short and there was only a scare here and there.
    The acting was diabolical as well.
    But i did fúckin scream when the little girl got picked up by the hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Route Irish : Realy enjoyed this Ken Loach film based around a conspiracy involving ex soldiers working as security contractors in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

LighterGuy wrote: »
    On the subject of Zodiac i found it real boring. Like it was interesting up until a certain point ... then boring.

There is a turning point around midway from fact to speculation but it's a neccessaraly one. I'm not convinced
    that 'Lee' is the zodiac but he is a creepy bastard in the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Watched The Orphan last night at midnight, scared the ****e out of me and that is not easy. Best horror film ive seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

moltisanti wrote: »
    A Bronx Tale on tv3 tonight. really enjoyed it
    De Niro's directorial debut too.

a somewhat underated movie , might be due to the fact that it was released only a few years after goodfellas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I've chosen Spoorloos (The Vanishing) for the night that's in it. Frightened already, and I've only read the description on rottentomatoes. Promises "one of the scariest endings of all time." :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

irishh_bob wrote: »
    a somewhat underated movie , might be due to the fact that it was released only a few years after goodfellas
    First I heard of this being underated,it's a classic.
    De Niro's directorial debut also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

TinTin The Secret of the Unicorn
    Pretty good,worth a watch.Some laugh out loud moments,and lots of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Hollyoaks!

pure ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Gamb!t wrote: »
    First I heard of this being underated,it's a classic.
    De Niro's directorial debut also.

oh i agree about it being a gem , my point is that its seen as a small minor film relativley speaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

krudler wrote: »
    The Human Centipede 2, absolute horsesh1t. skipped through some of it it was so bad

Actually, it was humansh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The Lincoln Lawyer

Very, very, cheesy but a good cast and a quirky plot makes it a very watchable if a predictable court-room drama

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bought Avatar over the weekend on Blu-Ray for a tenner. Sat down yesterday afternoon to watch it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Usually when a film gets so much praise, I watch it and expect huge things from it and I end up feeling a little disappointed that it didn't reach my high expectations.

Really enjoyed Avatar. Visually brilliant and would definitely recommend it to anybody who hasn't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched The Illusionist last night and while it's a very good movie it's not in the same league as The Prestige imo - a few people I know have drawn comparisons between them and I think the Prestige is a far better movie

Also watched Oh Brother Where Art Thou on Saturday night - brilliant movie, hadn't seen it in years and was very happy to see it again!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Win Win

Excellent film

Darkly funny at times and very touching

8/10
    PaulieC wrote: »
    Have you seen Win Win the movie that's brought the comparison to Greenberg out of Fishooks12 - because the humour in that was quite subtle and I loved it

I'll more than likely watch it just need to find time this weekend in between getting drunk :pac:

Watched Win Win lasnight. I really enjoyed it, all the characters were really well drawn and its very funny at times. Wouldn't rate it quite as highly as The Station Agent or The Visitor though :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched Win Win lasnight. I really enjoyed it, all the characters were really well drawn and its very funny at times. Wouldn't rate it quite as highly as The Station Agent or The Visitor though :)

Love that film

How Bobby Cannavale doesn't get more big roles is beyond me

Actually I just remembered he was in Win Win too! very good in both!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sawako Decides -

Offbeat Japanese coming of age film. Sawako (Hikari Mitsushima, from Love/Exposure amongst others) has spent five years in Tokyo and is stuck in a near-catatonic state of disappointment and apathy. With her over-enthusiastic boyfriend and his young daughter, she moves back to take over the family clam business because of her father's fatal illness.

The film's weirdly paced, which is it's biggest downfall. But apart from that, there's lots of interesting ideas. This is a film about accepting the short straw: not thriving for greatness but accepting mediocrity instead, and is sort of uplifting about it. It provides few 'traditional' resoultions as a result. Some nice visuals, and plenty of strange structural gags. Worth a watch - it's far from perfect, but nor is there anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

I wanted to watch something scary before bed last night and ended up watching Threads... I'm still awake now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Battlefield Los Angeles

Film was only rated 12 so I wasnt gonna bother but lady behind the counter said it was like a cross between Independence Day and Black Hawk Down both of which I liked so went and bought.

Very disappointing to say the least, the Aliens were so CGI with no character whatsoever that they were irrelevant, film reminded me of Skyline which I half watched recently then Frisbee'd the DVD out the window.

FFS all I wanted was a proper 'Aliens' type video.

cosmicfart wrote: »
    Battlefield Los Angeles

Film was only rated 12 so I wasnt gonna bother but lady behind the counter said it was like a cross between Independence Day and Black Hawk Down both of which I liked so went and bought.

Never listen to xtra vision staff, I once had one try to convince me to put back Greenberg(which is brilliant) for an Adam Sandler film (Grown-ups if memory serves)

Needless to say I ignored her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

That sounds like typical spoon-fed advertisement. The film has some influences but I would not cross the two together. Different scenarios, emphasis and historical changes.
    Very disappointing to say the least, the Aliens were so CGI with no character whatsoever that they were irrelevant, film reminded me of Skyline which I half watched recently then Frisbee'd the DVD out the window.

To be fair, the film was shot purely from the point of view of the Marines. You were to support their cause. However, it's arguable that in the likes of Independence Day there was no character.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement