Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Great flick, unreal performance from Brad Pitt. Very underrated!
    The whole cast is brilliant. Not sure if it would be every ones cup of tea because very visual with little dialogue and strong score. I loved the camera shots in it and the way you never can relax when Pitt is on the screen.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Great flick, unreal performance from Brad Pitt. Very underrated!
    The whole cast is brilliant. Not sure if it would be every ones cup of tea because very visual with little dialogue and strong score. I loved the camera shots in it and the way you never can relax when Pitt is on the screen.

Its an amazing film, since you liked that you should check out some of Terence Malick's films if you haven't already, they were a big influence on that films style imo, particularly The Thin Red Line. Tree of Life is really worth a look too but it makes The Thin Red Line and Assassination of Jesse James.... look like your average pop-corn flick!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

Watched The Sixth Sense and Misery to get me into the Hallowe'en mood....hard to believe that Misery is now an astonishing TWENTY ONE years old! I hope The Sixth Sense dates as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Contagion

Awful. Just awful. And a pathetic attempt at introducing an ironic twist in the last 30 seconds. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Spoorloos lived up to its billing, recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just back from watching ghostbusters.

gas craic.

the flim was very grainy but the sound was fantastic !

i was 14 when it first came out so it was a nice nostalgic trip to see it in the cinema again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Spoorloos lived up to its billing, recommended.

Brilliant film and so affecting. Thinking about the ending still freaks me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Brilliant film and so affecting. Thinking about the ending still freaks me out.

The plotting and structure were particularly strong, with some really good ideas.

Those who intend to watch should avoid all spoilers and read nothing about it on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Contagion

Awful. Just awful. And a pathetic attempt at introducing an ironic twist in the last 30 seconds. Avoid.

Agreed, the worst big budget film I've seen in a long long time. I felt really cheated when I walked out of the cinema. Only the big name actors stopped this going straight to DVD I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Watched The Sixth Sense and Misery to get me into the Hallowe'en mood....hard to believe that Misery is now an astonishing TWENTY ONE years old! I hope The Sixth Sense dates as well.

The ankles scene in Misery takes some beating - a real classic alright! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Ides Of March, enjoyed it, fantastic cast, solid direction. didnt have as much of a payoff as I thought it would be well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Just watched 'Drive'; Awesome, what an epic soundtrack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Drive

Wow, even better than I expected

Gosling creates one of the most memorable male leads since Taxi Driver. Without a doubt one of the best actors in the business right now

The pacing was brilliant and the soundtrack immense and more than makes up for a certain lack of emotional substance

When I saw people were suggesting that it would someday be viewed as a classic I was sceptical to buy into the hype but now I know it's all justified

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Watched Infamous last night on TG4. Its based on the period of research Truman Capote undertook in writing his bestseller 'In Cold Blood'.
    I found it to be a gripping tale with superb acting particularly from Toby Jones who plays Capote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Watched the field earlier.
    Some quite dramatic stuff but the ending was very confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Watched the field earlier.
    Some quite dramatic stuff but the ending was very confusing

what part was confusing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

krudler wrote: »
    what part was confusing?

I dont want to ruin it for anyone so:
    i didnt know what was going on when he ran his son and his cattle off the cliff and when it just ended with him walking in to the sea.Did he kill himself or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Horrible Bosses

Have to say it was quite good - I mean it wasn't brilliant by any means but it was funny, had a good cast, decent script.

Seen people give it horrible reviews but I thought it was a solid 6.5/7 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Super 8 - Well I expected a totally different type of film than the one I watched. I thought it would be a kids adventure film full of humour and fun. Instead it was actually a serious movie about loss and forgiveness with very little laughs in it. The kids weren't likable, it was boring in parts and it was full of plot holes. I have heard people mention Super 8 is just like The Goonies. Well it is not. The Goonies is my favourite film of all time and it has great characters, loads of humour, a sense of magical mystery and just a great feel to it. Super 8 has none of these and was a wasted opportunity IMO, 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Jeez what age are you 10? captain america was better than the guard???

Anyone know when 'The Guard' is being released for sale on DVD?
    Want to send it to the relations abroad...
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cybrandian wrote: »
    Anyone know when 'The Guard' is being released for sale on DVD?
    Want to send it to the relations abroad...
    Thanks.

Xtravision site says it's out to rent at least on the 18th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Mickeroo wrote: »

Great stuff, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Killer Elite.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1448755/

Set in the 80s, mercenarys are hired by a Sheikh to take out a number of SAS soldiers who killed three of his sons during the controversial Oman War.

Very entertaining with plenty of action.
    Didn't realise that this was based on Sir Ranulph Fiennes' book, The Feather Men, and who also gets a mention as the fourth target in the film

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

50/50

really enjoyed it, not your typical comedy of nowadays, the movie's got a lot of heart.

seth rogan doesnt ruin it either thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark
    A so so film. Visually it's nice. Just never really grabs hold. Doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Attack The Block
    Had heard good things about this. Was a little disappointed after watching it. Just an average flick. Wouldn't be recommending anyone to rush out and see it.

Warrior
    Loved it. Highly recommended. Not a bad performance in it. Nick Nolte was awesome. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get a oscar for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

payback with mel gibson , a film i never tired of although i doubt its well regarded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Apollo 18 - good spooky sci-fi horror
    Drive - top movie, excellent soundtrack, a bit slow in the middle.
    Contagion - passable.
    Bloodrayne: The Third Reich (don't ask. Ok if you insist - picture xena warrior princess as a frequently naked bisexual vampiress fighting an SS vampire with the help of some trusty partisans, throw in a mad scientist and your done).
    Human Centipede 2 - godawful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Scanners - I think I only watched it due to Michael Ironside in it. Strange film and wouldn't be in a rush to see it again

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Mickeroo wrote: »

that's an exclusive so it's rental only. I'd say it'll be out to buy the following week, or even the fortnight after...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Taking of Pelham 123, the 2009 version
    Didn't enjoy it all, would not recommend

And I'm not against that kind of film, I realy enjoyed Unstoppable and you could say a sorta similar film. Now that was good, also with Tony Scott directing and Denzil Washington

I've read there is an earlier version of Pelham, I'll have a look at that in a few weeks

I'm also not a fan of this start start, make your viewer dizzy direction style that Tony Scott works into films. Less is more tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement