Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Swear to Tell the Truth - a documentary about legendary comedian Lenny Bruce.

Really good, though I was left enraged at how the establishment destroyed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Quarantine 2 Poor follow up to the 1st which was quite good this was terrible though took away the handheld camera which worked great in the 1st and tried to make a proper movie crappy plot thrown in and all very dissapointing
    Q2 was vile. I agree. Watched REC2 the other night, i suggest you check it out. Cannot wait for REC3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Magnolia

Seen it plenty of times and it's a great film but the 3 hours was a real trek tonight

The film is somewhat hit and miss and can drag but when it hits it hits hard and there's some wonderful acting on display

Cruise is fantastic and John C Reilly (hugely underrated actor) is brilliant too

Still think the pacing of the film would have benefited from one less story but it's still a film everyone should see

8/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tokyo Drifter:

Brilliantly pointless 60s yakuza film. Full of energy and life, but most importantly colour: neon pink, blinding whites, sinister reds and other delirious cinematography and art design choices. Film sorts of struggles a bit in the middle when director Suzuki focuses on a relatively incoherent plot (which is carefree at best), but picks up again with a final flurry of amusing & OTT bar brawls, sword fights and gun battles. Some musical numbers too, if you're that way inclined. It's throwaway, but it doesn't overstay it's welcome. A fun Japanese take on the French New Wave attitude of playful satirising.

Tokyo Drifter:

Brilliantly pointless 60s yakuza film. Full of energy and life, but most importantly colour: neon pink, blinding whites, sinister reds and other delirious cinematography and art design choices. Film sorts of struggles a bit in the middle when director Suzuki focuses on a relatively incoherent plot (which is carefree at best), but picks up again with a final flurry of amusing & OTT bar brawls, sword fights and gun battles. Some musical numbers too, if you're that way inclined. It's throwaway, but it doesn't overstay it's welcome. A fun Japanese take on the French New Wave attitude of playful satirising.

You seem to love Japanese film! I remember watching that drunk at a house party a few years back and not knowing what to make of it! Must check it out again though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Machete tonight, good bit of fun :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Magnolia

Seen it plenty of times and it's a great film but the 3 hours was a real trek tonight

The film is somewhat hit and miss and can drag but when it hits it hits hard and there's some wonderful acting on display

Cruise is fantastic and John C Reilly (hugely underrated actor) is brilliant too

Still think the pacing of the film would have benefited from one less story but it's still a film everyone should see

8/10

Aimee Mann's music is a big factor in making the film work I think. Great film, must watch it again soon. The running time isa bit of a chore though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I love Magnolia. It was my first real introduction to Aimee Mann and I'm a big fan of hers now. Afaik most of the film was actually inspired by her music.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I love Magnolia. It was my first real introduction to Aimee Mann and I'm a big fan of hers now. Afaik most of the film was actually inspired by her music.

yea I think I remember hearing he asked her to write the music and then wrote the film around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Watched Gran Torino about an hour and a half ago. Clint really lays it on thick with his character having ungrateful children/grandchildren.

As with many Eastwood directed films, it's fairly sugary at times with the garrulous Grandpa figure featuring fairly strongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Just watched Margin Call

Good movie but wouldnt advise it to anyone not interested in that sort of plot line, me and a friend love all that financial mumbo jumbo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    You seem to love Japanese film! I remember watching that drunk at a house party a few years back and not knowing what to make of it! Must check it out again though

Japanese people have most certainly made a very large amount of films that appeal to my sensibilities. Like they are masters of video games, food, animation, culture and Kit-Kats, so too do they IMO enjoy the finest national cinema of any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Tropa de Elite

Just watched it, not a bad film but not as good as I thought it was gonna be.

I think the sequel should be interesting.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Patriot Games was on Sky One last night and I had to turn it off after 20 minutes. I knew it was crap once the IRA were jumping out of a taxi in the middle of London trying to shoot some Duke and his family. I just found it cringeworthy, and don't get me started on the accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Just watched the new Nicholas Cage film Trespass, I have to say it wasn't a half bad film, I'd recommend giving it a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Patriot Games was on Sky One last night and I had to turn it off after 20 minutes. I knew it was crap once the IRA were jumping out of a taxi in the middle of London trying to shoot some Duke and his family.

You mean like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/20/newsid_2524000/2524489.stm

I have to agree with you though 'Patriot Games' is too formula written and is solely a vehicle for Indiana Jones Harrison Ford to try and make a few bob.

Kung Fu Panda 2

Great fun, just as enjoyable as the first one and even a little moving in places :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Misery

Awesome is an understatement!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Kung Fu Panda 2

Great fun, just as enjoyable as the first one and even a little moving in places :D

I enjoyed it, Gary Oldman as a maniacal kung fu peacock just works. The animation is amazing in places, Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon are Dreamworks best animated movies by far, less of the stupid pop culture jokes which age horribly (Shrek!) and more story and funny characters please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

I watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus on Friday night. Really loved it. Had seen it reviewed when it came out about being hard to follow ... I didn't think so .... bit like an Alice in Wonderland for grown ups . Would recommend to anyone who likes a little fantasy and other worldly type movies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

I watched Crazy Stupid Love last night. I have to say I really enjoyed it. While it is a fairly run of the mill romantic comedy the cast made it great! Emma Stone, Julieanne Moore, Kevin Bacon, Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling all starred. Also, the
    twist at the end really surprised me I have to say, I didn't see it coming at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

We Need To Talk About Kevin.Saw it yesterday Film Of The Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You mean like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/20/newsid_2524000/2524489.stm

I have to agree with you though 'Patriot Games' is too formula written and is solely a vehicle for Indiana Jones Harrison Ford to try and make a few bob.

My point was that the IRA would not carry out such an amateurish operation, interesting article though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

That_Guy wrote: »
    Horrible Bosses: Noticed this on my hard drive and took a chance on it. Really enjoyed it actually. Mainly for Jennifer Aniston's character though. Yeow!!

My penis grew hard watching her scenes :pac:

Starship Troopers (1997)
    Still an awesome movie and the lovely Dina Meyer shows off her boobs. My penis grew hard again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Watched Antichrist last night thinking it was an Omen type thing, it's not! it is messed up but beautifully shot at times. I'm still not sure what the point of it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I LOVE THIS THREAD BOARDSIES!

Fair play to all who contribute - I saw a couple of mentions of a film made this year but heard nothing about it until here...Drive with Ryan Gosling.

T'was a crackin' film, fantastic soundtrack - probably one of the best I've heard.

Thanks again to everyone here, and especially those who drove me towards Drive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Six minutes of Starsky & Hutch (2004) on RTE 2 tonight - life is too short to watch such utter crap. The original TV series was a good run of the mill cop series but what the hell was this supposed to be?

MV5BMzU2NTQ1NTkxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE1MTEzMw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Six minutes of Starsky & Hutch (2004) on RTE 2 tonight - life is too short to watch such utter crap. The original TV series was a good run of the mill cop series but what the hell was this supposed to be?

MV5BMzU2NTQ1NTkxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE1MTEzMw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Its a spoof, remember it being pretty funny.

Just watched Chocolat on film 4. Delightful :pac:

Good Night and Good Luck

Love period drama plus I'm a journalist so I had high expectations going into this and It didn't leave me down
    Really strong cast backed up by archive footage brings you right back to the 50's

The subject matter is fascinating and the film really portrays the genius and balls of Murrow very well

9/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Captain America.

Never read the comics, only thing I've ever read with him in it is The Avengers and the Civil War saga, so I didn't know really what to expect. I liked that I didn't know anything about the character and his world, it always drives me nuts when I do, I feel like the films often ruin the character.

In saying that, I still didn't enjoy the film. It felt like it was rushed and fairly predictable. It started, then it was over and it tries to convince you a lot happens in between. I don't know how it holds up as a Captain America movie, but as a standalone flick it doesn't do much.

TrollHunter.

Fantastic, severely recommended. In the same vein as Blair Witch or The Last Broadcast. People have been saying it's a mockumentary, but mockumentaries are funny. This has it's moments, but it's not a comedy. Effects are top notch, acting is great and has a satisfying ending. Only thing I didn't like was how
    the Governmental types don't confiscate the tapes as soon as they see what's going on, they just let the crew carry on

Last Night.

Not bad. Pretty enjoyable to watch. I like films where people who have nothing to do with each other sort of cross paths, even if it's just for a second or through someone else. It's kind of how I imagine the actual last night of Earth being. Really liked the ending, too. I'd recommend it if it crossed my mind when I'm asked for something different.

Sad Movie.

I'm pathetic and love this film. I watch it at least once a month. It's another one where people who don't know each other are connected, only this time it's through loss instead of crossing paths. A few times they'll just see each other down a hall or something, but it's all emotional. I really do cry when I watch it. It's a chick flick, but really enjoyable. I think of it as the anti-rom-com. For every great happy ending, there's fifty+ sad ones, and this shows you a few of them.

Tonight I'm watching The Beast And The Beauty, I Saw The Devil, Sympathy For Lady Vengeance and then whatever I pick up from my pile. Already seen Beast And The Beauty and Lady Vengeance, but they're good enough to watch a couple of times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement