Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

GrizzlyMan reminded of ......Grizzly Man ofc!!! And also Jean Jacques Annauds The Bear, managed to get my hands on it and hadn't seen it in over 15 years! :)

Also flicked over to Sky Movies on friday night and watched Soldier, again hadn't seen it in years but as bad as it was it was actually entertaining!!!! Gotta love leave ure brain on another planet films.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just watched Funny People. It's ****, avoid. About an hour too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

humanji wrote: »
    I watched Sinbad and The Eye of The Tiger and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad over the weekend. Absolutely fantastic stuff. A lot of attempts at adventure films today could learn a thing or two from these. And it's funny how Ray Harryhausens effects are still better than some of the CGI crap we get nowadays.

ray harryhaused kicks that cgi crap every time , i too watched sinbad in the past few weeks on the sci- fi chanell , brought back great childhood memories of many a saturday afternoon watching sinbad or else jason and the argnonauts , i mean what could be cooler than a monster with one eye or a statue with seven arms that comes to life , btw , i noticed that the golden voyage was rate U , 1st movie rated U that ive watched with such a degree of heaving bussom from the leading lady :)

I think that's the point of the film. None of the characters are there to be liked. I watched it awhile back and quite enjoyed it, the film did a great job of building suspense and there are some genuinely heart stopping moments.

even in a horror movie , you need to be able to empathise and care for at least one of the charechters , the movie wolf creek was on a few nights before on film 4 , thier is a movie where the main charechters are likable , you can empathise with them and when thier gruesome unwarranted death arrives , you are genuinley shocked

irish_bob wrote: »
    even in a horror movie , you need to be able to empathise and care for at least one of the charechters , the movie wolf creek was on a few nights before on film 4 , thier is a movie where the main charechters are likable , you can empathise with them and when thier gruesome unwarranted death arrives , you are genuinley shocked

You don't have to emphatise with a character in order for a film to work. Thinking back about Donkey Punch there was one of the females whose innocence and naivety made her quite likable. You spent the film hoping that she would survive. I still don't think that you need to have likable characters in order for a horror film to work. Look back at the horror's of the 70s and 80s and quite often you would find the characters to be completely deplorable yet you still enjoy the film.

• Advertisement

You don't have to emphatise with a character in order for a film to work. Thinking back about Donkey Punch there was one of the females whose innocence and naivety made her quite likable. You spent the film hoping that she would survive. I still don't think that you need to have likable characters in order for a horror film to work. Look back at the horror's of the 70s and 80s and quite often you would find the characters to be completely deplorable yet you still enjoy the film.

im a fan of horror , thought donkey punch sucked donkey balls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Just watched Funny People. It's ****, avoid. About an hour too long.

I thought it was pretty good and funny, but would agree that it is about 45 minutes too long

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

The Hangover- Thought is was very good, laughed out loud stuff nothing forced or any gross humor. Bradley Copper was good asusual but Zach Galifianakis stole the show.Going for a second watch this week.

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane - The credits are just playing as I type and I have to say that it is a fantastic film. Far front the generic horror film many will have you believe it is in fact a well written, inventive and entertaining little film. It has a real 70s feel to it at times and that it went straight to DVD while trash like Dance Film gets a wide release is a disgrace. For those who enjoy their horror films with a hint of originality look no further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Back to the Future 1
    Back to the Future 2
    Back to the Future 3

*awesome*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Just watched District 9. Not sure what to make of it to be honest. Its like a cross betwen alien nation and an anti-apartheid documentary. Effects were pretty good storyline wasn't too bad but its just one of those films that I can't decide if I liked or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Se7en. Last night on TG4.

Having not seen it ages I was wondering would time have affected it badly. Quite the opposite. Still the dark, tense thriller with top acting and a brilliant finish i remembered. One of the highlights of Brad Pitts career from a performance point of view.

Even the though I knew how it all played out at the end it was still great to watch.
    During the last scenes when they had Spacey hand-cuffed out in the desert i was scratching my head how he could still be in control of what was about to happen. Brilliant twist. I definately didn't see it coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

quarryman wrote: »
    Se7en. Last night on TG4.

Having not seen it ages I was wondering would time have affected it badly. Quite the opposite. Still the dark, tense thriller with top acting and a brilliant finish i remembered. One of the highlights of Brad Pitts career from a performance point of view.

Even the though I knew how it all played out at the end it was still great to watch.

Fantastic film. I wanted to watch it but the girlfriend wouldn't allow it.

The Hangover - I don't know what to think of this. It was good, but it felt like it didn't really go anywhere. I liked the fact that a lot of the humour was, to an extent, unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

watched Goal 3. Terrible film,not related at all with the first 2
    My thoughts exactly,
    the whole "cliffhanger" of seeing Roz pregnant at the end of Goal 2 was completely neglected
    , had to laugh really...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Scent of a woman - Watched it last night and it was my first time to see it. I really enjoyed it. Easily one of the best performances from Pacino.

In Bruges - I've seen this before but I watched it just last weekend again and its still a great watch. Ralph Fiennes as Harry is probably my favourite character.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Alien - Not as good as I was expecting, but still a good movie.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (the remake) - Brilliant, I especially loved the scenes in the Opera house, and when Doris Day sang "Que Sera" at the film's climax

Fight Club - What can I say? Fine movie.

The Trail of the Pink Panther - All right, not great. Should have been the final film in the series. Seemed a good ending and a good homage for Sellers.

Seven - Rewatched it on TG4 the other night. Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Alien - Not as good as I was expecting, but still a good movie.

:eek: its bloody brilliant (apart from the old "where's the cat" routine, I mean would you go looking?)

Anyway - The Devil Dared Me as shown on ITV4 (no more screening scheduled) a goofy low-budget New Zealand comedy with loads of swearing, gore, stunts and all round silly stupidity. Its not big or clever but it was far more entertaining than watching the UEFA Super Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Arlen Faber - decent - how could it not be with Olivia Thirlby in it:)

The Informers - complete and utter garbage.

Adventureland - good movie

Small Crime - the best of the lot. A charming Greek movie with a feel good vibe(excuse the hippy parlance:P) to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

In my (unintended) Spacey season this week I watched The Usual Suspects tonight.

Great watching it a second time when you know how it finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

watched galdiator for the second time last night actually forgot how good it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Watched "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" which is a great korean movie. Its a cowboy/indiana jones type movie. Very funny and some great action. Totally recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Watched If. . . from the year 1968. Great film, good music and the photography in it is chilling and haunting. I'd recommend ot to anyone, there is a great story behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Flyboys - Bit predictable but good fun nonetheless. Great flying scenes, really bring Air combat in WW1 to light. Enjoyed this.

Mr. Brooks - Loved this film. Costner & Hurt are very good in this, they've an almost buddy/best friend alter-ego thing going. A good smart film with solid turns from all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Watched "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" which is a great korean movie. Its a cowboy/indiana jones type movie. Very funny and some great action. Totally recommend it.
    Yeah the chase scene at the end is epic mastery!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

The informers.. wonderful cast with a horrible non existent plot!! Can I get my two hours back please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

just in the middle of my harry potter boxset! really forgot how good the actually are when u sit back and watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Upon the recommendation of my local Xtravision manager I rented a film called "The Watchmen" on Bluray last night.

I can quite honestly say it is the biggest pile of absolute sh!te I have seen in a very long time.

Fcuking drivel of the highest order :mad:

I shall be demanding a refund!

Utter sh!te!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Watched most of Apocalypto last night which I found surprisingly enjoyable.

Watched This Is England after that on DVD and though it was brilliant. The acting is top notch and Thomas Turgoose was great as the bullied kid.
    There's hardly a word out of place in the script, I can't wait to watch it again actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Watched Final Destination 3 tonight, it's crap, but the good kind of crap.
    Saw Manhattan there the other day, on a bit of a Woody Allen kick. It's pretty great. It has the lovely Diane Keaton and a Gershwin soundtrack. What more do ya need :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I saw Into the Wild a few weeks back and i would recommend it to anyone.
    Basically its about a college graduate who has the world at his feet decides to head off to alaska to live off the land,he cuts up his credit cards,burns any money he has,dumps his car.

Just get it and watch it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement