Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

PaulieC wrote: »
    Have planned on watching this for a while - saw a small bit of it on TV at one stage and thought it looked very good.

Will still give it a glance

It's worth a watch alright, my expectations were probably too high going in

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A Single Man: Thought this was terrific. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I was a bit aprehensive because Colin Firth is in it and to be honest, I never really rated him as an actor.

Upon the DVD there was a lot of plaudits for Firth's performance and to be honest, the praise is justified.

Would highhly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That_Guy wrote: »
    A Single Man: Thought this was terrific. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I was a bit aprehensive because Colin Firth is in it and to be honest, I never really rated him as an actor.

Upon the DVD there was a lot of plaudits for Firth's performance and to be honest, the praise is justified.

Would highhly recommend it.
    I really didn't like that movie but did think Firth was brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Maximum 40 Characters

Invictus- Mitt Deemon plays roogby and Morgan Freeman plays Morgan Freeman.Lazy,Cliched and inaccurate and some godawful acting.

Bad Teacher - Car wash scene with the lovely Miss Diaz 10/10
    Rest of film 3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

After that thread about shocking films I... well, tried to have a look at The Human Centipede. Now I'm asking myself: what did I do it for? I couldn't get past the part when the crazy doctor explains his idea to his victims anyway. Can't believe there are such perverts as the director.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Isard wrote: »
    After that thread about shocking films I... well, tried to have a look at The Human Centipede. Now I'm asking myself: what did I do it for? I couldn't get past the part when the crazy doctor explains his idea to his victims anyway. Can't believe there are such perverts as the director.

Watched it to the end....B horror movie...

Isard wrote: »

Wouldn't call him a pervert, films are meant to sometimes, although he is a bad film maker going on the actual quality of the films

And if you think The Human Centipede is bad I can guarantee that there's a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

A serbian film for example :)

not that im ever gonna watch it

A serbian film for example :)

not that im ever gonna watch it

Cannibal Holocaust makes a Serbian Film look like Bambi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Social Network
    Easy knowing it was Aaron Sorkin with the sharp dialogue, loved the soundtrack too
    Enjoyed it a lot

But I was puzzled over one thing
    The boyos were messing and damaged the chimney in their summer house
    And Sean Parker just happened to be across the road and rushed over, convenient that ;)
    Was he realy living across the road? Or was he was scoping out the guys and waiting for a chance to get involved with the company and invite himself over?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Last night The Bourne Supremacy (2004) - second in the trilogy. Jason Bourne is as rentless and unstoppable as a Terminator but with the added human ingredient of cunning. A really cracking movie. I bought the boxed set a couple of years back as I reckoned you really need to watch each one several times to fully understand the plot. Makes Bruce Willis' Die Hard character look like an OAP. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The Thing
    My brother just came home from Canada and he saw the remake - incidently he said it was one of the worst movies he has seen in a long time and he would have a much higher tolerance for CGI/remakes than I would - so we decided to watch Carpenters version yesterday.Its still such a wonderfully tense movie.Granted some of the effects work has aged a bit but its the little things like the sound effects during the transformations aswell as the palpable sense of mistrust throughout.I also adore the closing scene with
    Mac and Childs sitting in front of eachother both obviously suspicious and just eye balling eachother then leaving it at that.

It really is a horror classic.
    9/10

The Thing (1982)
    One of the best movies ever made in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mikemac wrote: »
    But I was puzzled over one thing
    The boyos were messing and damaged the chimney in their summer house
    And Sean Parker just happened to be across the road and rushed over, convenient that ;)
    Was he realy living across the road? Or was he was scoping out the guys and waiting for a chance to get involved with the company and invite himself over?
    Yeah, I think that's definitely implied alright. He didn't even seem know his girlfriend's name. And the idea that he followed them would be in keeping with his Mephistopheles-like character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Thin Blue Line (1988) the crazy mixed up true story of man wrongly convicted of murder and the many reasons it happened, with a cast of deceitful low lifes and the odd good man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thin_Blue_Line_(film)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

The Karate Kid - The original one, pure 80's gold. Its been stuck in my mind since I saw a compilation of insults by 80s movie and tv bullies. Still makes me want to do karate.

Any other 80's cheese recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Rise of The Planet of the Apes last night, CGI was a bit inconsistent in terms of quality but I enjoyed it.
    Also had Dr Rodney McKay in a small role, good for him! :)

Super 8 a while ago, also decent, like a mashup of ET, The Goonies and Cloverfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

megan is missing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087461/

scary if your a parent.but not a bad movie otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The Thing 2011. Kind of an odd movie, somewhere between a prequel and a flat out remake with female lead. The creature effects were better than I expected. The original Thing still wins hands down in terms of acting, dialogue, atmosphere, production values, score and so on, also for having actual effects instead of CGi.

Not as bad as it could have been but you would have to wonder (apart from the money) why bother ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Rise of The Planet of the Apes last night, CGI was a bit inconsistent in terms of quality but I enjoyed it.
    Also had Dr Rodney McKay in a small role, good for him! :)

Super 8 a while ago, also decent, like a mashup of ET, The Goonies and Cloverfield.

Rise of The Planet of the Apes - I really enjoyed that movie. Would be happy to watch it again. And yep :D Dr Rodney McKay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sideways: Very enjoyable film and very witty in places. Paul Giamatti is a fine actor. Have seen him in various roles and think he's a very well rounded actor. Also had a strong craving for wine having watched this film... even though I don't drink wine. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

The Princess Bride - More 80's gold. I've had this recommended to me by quite a few people so I finally got around to watching it tonight. I quite enjoyed it, but not as mind blowingly fantastic as some people said.

Morlar wrote: »
    The Thing 2011. Kind of an odd movie, somewhere between a prequel and a flat out remake with female lead. The creature effects were better than I expected. The original Thing still wins hands down in terms of acting, dialogue, atmosphere, production values, score and so on, also for having actual effects instead of CGi.

Not as bad as it could have been but you would have to wonder (apart from the money) why bother ?

Has The Thing been released over here yet?
    Heard it was meant to come out in October .. then pushed back till December :confused:

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Has The Thing been released over here yet?
    Heard it was meant to come out in October .. then pushed back till December :confused:

I saw it online.

Morlar wrote: »
    I saw it online.

I actually did a search before my last post to see if it hit the net ... all I see are really crappy copies. I imagine the same version you saw?

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I actually did a search before my last post to see if it hit the net ... all I see are really crappy copies. I imagine the same version you saw?

It was not pristine but not too crappy either, I'd say about the usual quality level. A bit too dark in parts was about the worst aspect of it from what I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

fitz0 wrote: »
    The Princess Bride - More 80's gold. I've had this recommended to me by quite a few people so I finally got around to watching it tonight. I quite enjoyed it, but not as mind blowingly fantastic as some people said.

It's very very quotable:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Guys, no piracy related discussion here please. It's against the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

stankratz wrote: »
    I watched Winters Bone and Easy A in the last few days.

The former: Incredible film all across the board for me, it is so well done that I forgot I was watching an ensemble of actors speaking pre-written dialogue. The tone, mood, setting, story, acting and direction didn't let me down once. The most notable actor in this is John Hawke (who I've only ever seen in TV roles including Deadwood, Lost and Eastbound and Down) and holy shít he can act! Same to be said for the girl playing the 'weight-of-the-world-on-her-shoulders' teenage protagonist. Simply, what a flick!

I would've said Jennifer Lawerence was the stand out performance in Wintersbone. I was blown away by her. Shes beautiful and all but her acting is so good you almost forget about her looks. What Im trying to say is in the hands of some other by the numbers, attractive actress, this wouldn't have worked. I mean could you imagine someone like katherine heigl in that role? Jennifer lawerence was robbed of the oscar, no way was natalie portman even in her league. All portman did was cry for 2 hours in black swan, bloody joke she came away with the award.
    stankratz wrote: »
    Easy A This film just kept me ticking over throughout. it is not a teen comedy in the same vein as 'Superbad' or like 'American Pie' was back in the day, the lewd factor and laughs-per-minute ratio isn't on the same scale, but it is miles smarter than those films that I mentioned. It's charming if a little too self aware. For me the most entertaining scenes involved Olive interacting with her family (Stanley Tucci uses his relatively small screen time to add to a lot of the film's humour as Olive's Dad). I wouldn't recommend anyone not to watch it, but I was expecting more given what I had previously read about it.

Agreed for the most part, although I didnt find it charming. I'd heard glowing reviews about easy A, but I just dont think it was all that. Stanley tucci was great, needed more of him and less of the overly sophisticated teenagers. Just didnt buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Magnolia

Cruise is fantastic

+1. The Cruiser is magnificent in this. Cant say Im normally his biggest fan but for some reason he was in a different league in magnolia. Frank TJ mackey = legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

fitz0 wrote: »
    It's very very quotable:)
    Ah, it's more than that. It's sweet and funny and exciting and absurdly clever. How can you not like a hero who is as witty and skillful as he is determined, who succeeds in the end because he makes friends of some fundamentally decent henchmen he has to defeat on his way? How can you watch with dry eyes as Inigo Montoya delivers that famous line as he staggers, wounded, towards the man who killed his father? It's a great fairy tale an adult can appreciate, one of a handful of films I can think of I'd love to show my kid if I ever had one, for its entertainment and positive values.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement