Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Boogie Nights. Wonderful film with really great casting and another great understated performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman as an awkward, aloof gay cameraman. All the performances are great but the last act felt really flimsy. The fates of all the main characters take a significantly dark turn but are very quickly and neatly resolved again for the final scenes. I understand that it was necessary for their to be a reversal of fortune for the Dirk Diggler character but I don't think it was realised quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I watched John Carpenters 'They Live' last night. I really enjoyed it, the music was very Terminator-esque and there were some terrific one liners in.

Was Duke Nukem based on the lead character i wonder?

It had a fairly strong message in relation to television, consumerism and the 'elite' elements in society.

'They live, we sleep' is an excellent phrase. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭Cartman78

kerash wrote: »
    Ides of March. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it. Was delighted to see PSH and Paul Giamatti in it too :) George is doing some good work, hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Saw this the other night as well - excellent political drama/thriller. Have recently finished watching the West Wing so was well primed for it :D

Fabulous cast all on form - a couple of top-top-top notch scenes (esp. Gosling/Clooney in the hotel kitchen and Gosling/Hoffman a few mins earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Maximum 40 Characters

The Book Of Eli.. have to say i turned it off before the end but it was just ridiculously bad.And the preachy Christian crap can gtf as well. What the hell was Tom Waits doing in this.
    And only one bible?Seriously.It's set in America for the love of god ya can't move for them over there.Plenty of KFC wet wipes tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Kinshasa Symphony, a documentary that follows a group of amateur musicians and singers in the Congo who are part of an classical orchestra that is preparing for their first public concert. I really enjoyed this, it's a great insight into life in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I watched John Carpenters 'They Live' last night. I really enjoyed it, the music was very Terminator-esque and there were some terrific one liners in.

It had a fairly strong message in relation to television, consumerism and the 'elite' elements in society.

Sounds good - must have a look out for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I've always loved this film, it has a great concept but is quite horribly dated at this point. It's actually one movie that is crying out for a remake, And just think of how relevant it would be in regard to what's going on in the world at the moment.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is that the one with Rowdy Roddy Piper and his magic sunglasses? :D

Duke Nukem's 'quotes' are deliberately cribbed from other movies. Evil Dead was another one I think. I don't think he was based on any particular character as such

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The Book Of Eli.. have to say i turned it off before the end but it was just ridiculously bad.And the preachy Christian crap can gtf as well. What the hell was Tom Waits doing in this.
    And only one bible?Seriously.It's set in America for the love of god ya can't move for them over there.Plenty of KFC wet wipes tho
    Did you actually see the end of the film? Because if you did it would make you see the film in a different light. I thought the film was pretty good. I liked the ending, which you didnt see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Kill the Irishman

One of the worst films I've seen in years

A muddled mish-mash of crime films done a dozen times before, and not half as effective

Despite a strong cast there's some hilariously bad acting, Vinny Jones trying an Irish American has to be heard to be believed

The lead is immensely hard to warm to and any character development or depth is practically none existent

Really poor script too

Quite offensive to Irish people too. One quote is "We Irish love to drink and fight but there's some good in the heart of every Irish man"

I could go on and on about how bad this film is, avoid at all costs

2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Alice In Wonderland: Was a lot better than I was expecting it to be to be honest. Thoroughly enjoyed it even if Johnny Depp's character grated on me a little. Luckily he wasn't on screen too often. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Donnie Brasco" (1997) - billed as 'the finest gangster film since the Godfather' and starring Al Pacino and Johnny Depp - hit the spot for me 9/10.
    Johnny Depp is an FBI agent who infiltrates the Mafia but finds his loyalties divided as the end game approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Red Hill.......above average revenge flick...well worth a watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Stake Land....somewhere on the journey from Zombieland to The Road is Steak Land. One of those films I really enjoyed but can't put my finger on why. :)

top film mate, watched it after i seen your post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Kill the Irishman

One of the worst films I've seen in years

A muddled mish-mash of crime films done a dozen times before, and not half as effective

Despite a strong cast there's some hilariously bad acting, Vinny Jones trying an Irish American has to be heard to be believed

The lead is immensely hard to warm to and any character development or depth is practically none existent

Really poor script too

Quite offensive to Irish people too. One quote is "We Irish love to drink and fight but there's some good in the heart of every Irish man"

I could go on and on about how bad this film is, avoid at all costs

2/10

Maybe watch it again - It's really good considering its cast low budget and unknown factual story

Quite offensive to irish - get a life , so you're saying that irish people didnt have a reputation for drinking and fighting in the 60's 70's 80's especially in America

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dario28 wrote: »
    Maybe watch it again - It's really good considering its an unknown cast low budget and factual

Quite offensive to irish - get a life , so you're saying that irish people didnt have a reputation for drinking and fighting in the 60's 70's 80's especially in America
    Ray Stevenson, Vincent D'Onofrio, Val Kilmer, Christopher Walken.

Unknown cast....? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Ray Stevenson, Vincent D'Onofrio, Val Kilmer, Christopher Walken.

Unknown cast....? :confused:

Sorry crazy keyboard and didnt reread what I typed-edited above

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

dario28 wrote: »
    Maybe watch it again - It's really good considering its cast low budget and unknown factual story

Keep it friendly please.

Maybe watch it again

I can assure you I won't be watching it again, it was clichéd tripe of the worst kind.

- It's really good considering its cast low budget and unknown factual story

We'll considering it has a very strong cast on paper that's quite a baffling moot point. It being low budget and factual has nothing to do with my enjoyment of a film and I don't see why it would effect yours so another moot point.

Think it shows a serious lack of engagement in proper discussion that you have to resort to personal abuse but anyway...........

While Irish people may have been known for "drinking and fighting" in the 60's and 70's the films is still littered with offensive stereotyping and dodgy accents. But even without that the film fails on so many levels

The plot is essentially so topsy turvy that it beggars belief. Some of the scenes were so ridiculous that they reminded me of scenes from Black Dynamite.

One good example of how poor the character development is that when Greenes wife leaves him with his 3 kids for good he barely bats an eyelid and no reference is made to the children or wife for the rest of the film (and this is with about an hour of running time left).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

^^^Kill the irishman was dirt alright. The worst film I thought I'd see this year.

But then I watched sucker punch.
    Sweet jesus, Has there ever before been such a glaring example of style over substance? There is just nothing there below the surface. Its all shiney and cgi and blah blah blah, but there is no way of engaging or empathising with any of the cast on any level. I couldnt care less what happened to anybody in the film. I presume we were meant to feel sympathy to baby doll's plight, but I didnt get it. I also presume that the women kicking ass in stockings and little skirts was intended to be sexy, but I was so washed over with apathy and boredom I could only feel that that was the one area Snyder was trying too hard in.
    Personally I think since 300 Snyder has been on a slide and has been over compensating a lack of substance matter with over stylised visuals, hopefully this is as low as he can go, because I really thought he would be the next big thing after 300.

I will say, that the one high point of this film was the soundtrack. That was very impressive, and much more memorable than the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Maximum 40 Characters

Did you actually see the end of the film? Because if you did it would make you see the film in a different light. I thought the film was pretty good. I liked the ending, which you didnt see.

Aye finished her last night.Nothing changed my mind to be honest.It's the Postman crossed with Mad Max crossed with Zatoichi with a bit of No Escape thrown in.It's a shame because i really like Gary Oldman, but all the easy paydays in the likes of this and Harry Potter have taken their toll i reckon.
    The opening couple of minutes were very good but after that i thought was all downhill and as easy on the eye as Mila Kunis is,she's a fair bit outside her comfort zone here, not helped by all the slow motion shots of her granted

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Personally I think since 300 Snyder has been on a slide and has been over compensating a lack of substance matter with over stylised visuals, hopefully this is as low as he can go, because I really thought he would be the next big thing after 300.

Personally, I think Snyder is an art criminal and needs to be stopped. He hasn't done a single thing worth watching. Not even the Dawn of the Dead remake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Tonight I had the misfortune of suffering through Vinyan. Sweet christ its bad; I mean really really bad. Avoid like the ****ing plague!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Watche an aussie film called Snowtown. Low-budget, true story about a group of vigilantee serial killers. Might not be everyones cup of tea but I thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Just watched Monsters.

Very disappointing. I'd heard a lot of good things but I thought it was far too slow, the appearance of the creatures anti-climactic, and the relationship between the leads too boring for all the attention it was given. Mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

1. Manchurian Candidate (the newer one). What absolute drivel. Can't believe it made it to production. The worst things I've seen in ages.

2. Lars and the Real girl. Very good, but not excellent as some people claim it to be. Just think it lacked a litte something.

But very good and worth the watch nonetheless.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Watche an aussie film called Snowtown. Low-budget, true story about a group of vigilantee serial killers. Might not be everyones cup of tea but I thought it was brilliant.

When is/was that out in Ireland?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Can I just say that a) I disagree with it being as bad as people pointing out and b) Vinnie Jones' character was not meant to be Irish American - " An Irish-Lithuanian ex-boxer who works as Greene's chief enforcer."

It was obviously an excuse to allow his poor accent but no, Irish American he was not.

I actually thought I put the Lithuanian accent part in!

Jesus It was dodgy though :)

Gee Bag wrote: »

Great film. The cinematography is flawless IMO so I doubt the budget was very low.

To the person looking to know when it's out in Ireland, I'm not sure to be honest but I'd say what limited screenings it did have has passed

Fortunatly I was able to buy the "DVD" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Adjustment Bureau: Entertaining enough and it reminded me slightly of 'The Truman Show' in ways minus the paranoia that came with it. I'm still convinced I'm a star of some twisted reality TV series.

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement