Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

5 Centimeters Per Second: Wonderfully animated and superbly atmospheric anime. It's more of a tour de force for anime than anything else, showing just what is capable with the medium. The story is tertiary for the most part, it's more about watching and listening to flows and ebs of life as one progresses from childhood to maturity. Can't recommend it enough

Crank 2: High Voltage: Loved the first Crank. But the second one... my god. You know what it's like, if someone unintentionally says something and everyone finds it hilarious (the first crank) then everyone says "go on tell another joke"... because the person is intentionally trying to be funny, and this shows, the joke just isn't funny

The Hangover: Yeah, it was good, but not as amazing as people are making it out to be. I thought "I love you man" was a lot better.

• Moderators Posts: 51,791 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Funny people - wouldn't recommend it. A lot of the parts of the movie that worked for me, there wasn't enough of. And there was too much of what I didn't like. It started well enough, but started dragging it's heels about halfway through.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

koth wrote: »
    Funny people - wouldn't recommend it. A lot of the parts of the movie that worked for me, there wasn't enough of. And there was too much of what I didn't like. It started well enough, but started dragging it's heels about halfway through.

That's how I felt about The Ugly Truth. Funny People was next on the agenda...might still brave it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Inglorious Basterds - Well its a typical Tarantino film, I can see why its not to a lot of peoples tasting. I really enjoyed it myself, found it surprisingly violent but the 150 minutes run time flew by.

In the Loop - What a film. The dialogue is great. I think its a really good piss take of how modern day politics function. Malcolm Tucker is a legend. If you havent seen this yet get your hands on a copy, you wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

JCVD - it was good, although I was expecting more biopic and less bank heist. More the fool me.
    Van Damme put in an excellent performance though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

The Princess Bride

Ferris Buellers Day Off

Both came recommended to me of late and i watched and was not dissapointed! Immensely enjoyable! Pure simplistic satifying viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

angus thongs and perfect snogging - quite good childish fun movie

notting hill - good for a lazy afternoons movie watching

harry potter the 1st and 2nd! - classics

the hot chick - gr8 soundtrack, v funny at times, and anna faris is gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

The Hunting Party - Watched it last night on Sky Premiere. Richard Gere is a journalist chasing a Bosnian war criminal. What a pile of cra...not a good film. B-movie practically. Great potential to be a very good film but a terrible script combined with woeful acting all round, ruined it.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    The Hunting Party - Watched it last night on Sky Premiere. Richard Gere is a journalist chasing a Bosnian war criminal. What a pile of cra...not a good film. B-movie practically. Great potential to be a very good film but a terrible script combined with woeful acting all round, ruined it.

Tends to happen quite easily when Richard Gere is in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Eden Lake and Frost/Nixon, both excellent, Frost/Nixon particularly, who'd have thought two men sitting down talking for the most part would be so compelling, its almost like watching a boxing match with words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Sosa wrote: »
    I saw Into the Wild a few weeks back and i would recommend it to anyone.
    Basically its about a college graduate who has the world at his feet decides to head off to alaska to live off the land,he cuts up his credit cards,burns any money he has,dumps his car.

Just get it and watch it

I was going to rent this the other day, might give it a shot now. :)

There Will Be Blood - Good film, Day-Lewis is just mesmerising in this. His character development is well done. A fascinating personality. Picture looks good too and the sound is quite solid if strange in places. His scenes with Eli really shine.

Chaos Theory - Strange one this. Ryan Reynolds is very good in this as a father who discovers his child isn't actually his and his life totally changes. It's a good film to pass an hour and a half and is quite enjoyable. Nothing outstanding.

I Love You Man - Very funny. Some brilliant laugh out loud moments, Rudd (Peter) and Segel (Sydney) are very good in this 'bromance' film. Top stuff.

Terminator Salvation - I'm a die hard fan of the series and I enjoyed this. It's finally great to get a look in to the future consumed by Judgement Day. Bale isn't brilliant in this whereas Worthington and Yelchin are good. Action scenes are brilliant too. Worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Mindhunters, Trainee FBI criminal profilers on their final weekend of training before finding out if they make the cut.

Wasn't bad but could have been much better if it was done as a psychological thriller rather than an action film.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Raging bull- great movie, really enjoyed it not as good as the original rocky but a good movie all the same.

Finished watching cowboy bebop but I don't know if this counts great show one of my favorites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Snesfan wrote: »
    If you liked that watch "moon" (2009) great movie

One of my favourite films of the year. Seen it in ciniworld a couple of weeks ago and didn't know anything about it. Have the unlimited card and the timing suited so worked out well. Rockwell was amazing in it

Eastern Promises - For some reason I had very high hopes for this film, I dont why, but I did. I was fairly let down by it tbh. I thought the cast was weak and the general outcome of the film predictable.

Fifty dead men walking - I really liked this film, but at the same time I took it with a severe pinch of salt. It came across as a fairly anti IRA film but the story was very interesting. It tells a different story for once of an IRA volunteer working as an informant for the British. I would recommend this film to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

wrote:
    Fifty dead men walking - I really liked this film, but at the same time I took it with a severe pinch of salt. It came across as a fairly anti IRA film but the story was very interesting. It tells a different story for once of an IRA volunteer working as an informant for the British. I would recommend this film to anyone.
    After watching Hunger last night (7/10 but ondly cos could've been longer I felt, very arty-farty film where extras are longer than film I.E. 91 mins. as against I'm guessing 2-hours of Dir., Actor & Producers' interviews), my interest in the genre has been piqued again.
    Is Fifty Dead Men Walking in cinema or out on DVD yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Watched Funny People there recently.
    4/10 but some funny bits.
    Mate of mine sudgested Adam Sandler isn't funny anymore (unless it's a rom-com type like Daddy Day-Care or Waterboy, can't think of anything else he's been in offhand) & after watching it, I'm tended to agree.
    Hoped Seth Rogen would pull it out of fire but no.
    I won't be buying the dvd & might even give it a swerve when it comes to Rte in 6-years time & is repeated ad-focken-nauseum.
    Watched Stepbrothers online & bought the dvd.

Watched Funny People there recently (via so pirated-version & quality might've affected my viewing pleasure).
    4/10 due to above but some funny bits.
    Mate of mine sudgested Adam Sandler isn't funny anymore (unless it's a rom-com type like Daddy Day-Care or Waterboy, can't think of anything else he's been in offhand) & after watching it, I'm tended to agree.
    Hoped Seth Rogen would pull it out of fire but no.
    I won't be buying the dvd & might even give it a swerve when it comes to Rte in 6-years time & is repeated ad-focken-nauseum.
    Watched Stepbrothers online & bought the dvd.

I would advise you to remove the mention of a certain warez site in your post as mentioning these sort of sites is frowned upon here.

Edit: Removed mention of warez site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Watched Shuttle last night - has anyone else seen this?!, about a group of people that gets on an Airport shuttle bus - and thats really all I can say without giving anything away!!!.. highly recommended.. excellent film but very disturbing...

Is Fifty Dead Men Walking in cinema or out on DVD yet?

It's out on DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Be Cool - Terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Saw Pan's Labyrinth the other day. Glad I waited so long to see it (avoiding the hype) as It struck me as a fairly average film. The effects were great and the film looked fantastic.
    Unfortunately I felt the Spanih Civil War story was fairly by numbers, while the fantasy/escapism theme felt very on the nose.
    That said, there was one fantasic scene. The bit with the creature with eyes in his hands
    was very intense, especially when he got up, started eating fairies and terying to kill Ofelia.
    Freaky stuff.

Saw District 9 yesterday and really enjoyed it. The way the documentary elements blended in with the more 'regular' film elements was seamless. There was a very good blend of humour, drama and action. It's rare that afilm can pull off all three so well.
    Highly recommended.

• Moderators Posts: 51,791 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

District 9 - Great film. Would definitely recommend it to people.

Outlander - Pretty enjoyable movie, though for most of the movie the 'spaceman in viking times' seems to be forgotten about.

while she was out - wished I hadn't watched it. Kim Basinger gets chased around a forest for 90 mins. Thought it would be more interesting like Eden lake was.

Though I have learned something from watching that and Eden Lake.

1) Women get really scary when chased around a forest.

2) You're more likely to survive being chased around a forest if the teenagers are American as opposed to British. Even if the Americans have a gun.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

am I the only one who thinks Slumdog, while a good film, was highly over-rated?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Loosi_D

In the past week I've watched...

Moon - Best new release I've seen in a long time, it was absolutely amazing! I'd recommend this movie to anyone. If Sam Rockwell doesn't get an Oscar nom for it, then there is something seriously wrong with the Academy.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Another great film, I'd been meaning to watch it for a while. Great performances all round, and it's very well directed.

Choke - Brilliant, hilarious and sad all at the same time. It's not too high up on the "must see" list, but it is very good.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - This is another great film, and I saw a short interview about how it was shot before I watched it, so I think I appreciated it more. If you do watch it, keep in mind there's no special effects so for those scenes where it pans across and the other side is a later date, people actually had to run across behind the set and change as the camera moved.

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Who could resist rewatching that? Love the book, love the film, it's brilliantly written and absolutely hilarious, from the very beginning.

Snow Angels - Sad film about normal people, it's more realistic than a lot of films, and the performances are good, but I wouldn't rate it as overly brilliant

Joshua - Supposedly a "horror" film, but it's not scary at all... But that child is an evil genius. Musical number at the end kind of ruined the whole atmosphere though...

And now I'm off to watch Matchstick Men... anyone see a pattern here? =P

am I the only one who thinks Slumdog, while a good film, was highly over-rated?

I wasnt that much of a fan myself. It's a distinctly average film which has few standout performances and were it not for the range of colourful locales would be nowhere near as successful. It was originally intended for direct to DVD and being honest that's where it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I saw (500) days of Summer yesterday and it's well worth the watch. Be warned though if you hadn't figured it out from the trailers. It's not a love story! But it's very good all the same.

I had intended to see District 9 but they only had the subtitled version at the time I wanted to see, so the above movie turned out to be a very good second choice. Zooey Deschanel likes playing her kooky characters but her performance remains believeable. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has finally shaken off his 'Tommy' from 'Third rock from the sun' image too. I definitely think he's an actor who's starting to get in his stride.

I am definitely going to see District 9 next!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched Black Sheep on DVD the other day and it was a enjoyable b-movie horror comedy experience. (OK there was alcohol involved as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

national treasure - a really good adventure film

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Black Sheep would be a lot more enjoyable with alcohol alright!!

Some I watched recently.

District 9 - Good, well worth a watch
    Inglorious Basterds - Good, not as good as it could have been
    I Love You Man - Good movie, could have done with a few more laughs
    The Hangover - Better than the above but not as many laughs
    Valkyrie - Awful, couldn't take it seriously. Had to turn it off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement