Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

KKkitty wrote: »
    Saw Rambo from 2008 and was pleasantly surprised. The violence was graphic but not overly done. I was all like pffft when the fella wanted to watch it but Sly didn't let me down. Almost shed an auld tear at the end :)

When this was playing right? :)

Beautiful track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I saw once again the Black Swan, and again I enjoyed it very much, Excellent movie, amazing Natalie Portman!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Bridesmaids - apart from the whole sequence on the plane it was boring. It was 30 minutes too long and the fat woman was it's only saving grace, 4/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Obsession (1976) Brian De Palmas second Hitchock-seque outing (after Sisters) which rather disappeared from view quickly after its release, overshadowed by the huge success of Carrie a few months later. De Palma with Paul Schrader cooks up an unlikely, lush melodrama split between New Orleans and Florence as a guilt ridden business man falls for a young woman who resembles his dead wife. Bernard Hermanns second last score is a full blown drama in itself, Hitch would have been proud to use it.

Ultimately it makes no sense whatsoever but if you are open to the seductive sound/visuals and heightened atmosphere its worth seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Katyn - tells the story of how 20,000 Polish POWs were executed by the soviets in World War II. Anyone with an interest in WW II should give it a watch, very good film (if not bleak).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

keith16 wrote: »
    Katyn - tells the story of how 20,000 Polish POWs were executed by the soviets in World War II. Anyone with an interest in WW II should give it a watch, very good film (if not bleak).

Sound goods, it has English subtitles i hope!

Saw Bruno today. Some bits were funny but others were just plain crude :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Just watched The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. I have to say it was a lot more engaging and interesting than I expected. You follow the story of Steve Wiebe as he tries to beat Billy Mitchell's world record score on Donkey Kong. The rivalry that forms between them is so compelling, it'll really draw you in. It's good vs. evil on a minuscule level but it feels as important as any end of world battle. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Project Nim - Directed by James Marsh who's the man behind Man on Wire, Project Nim is about a baby chimp taken away from it's mother in the 70's and initially raised by a family as a normal human child as part of a scientific experiment to see if it could be taught sign language.

Very good documentary imo, really makes you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

just saw sherlock holmes 2 in the cinema. twas really good...

watched the english patient for the first time just before xmas, that was brill.

want to watch life is beautiful again as my bf hasn't seen it yet. some day we'll find a window...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Only watched 2 films over the entire Christmas period..

Scrooged - a Christmas classic. Murray is excellent as always and Karen Allen is cute in a "non-glamourous-though-warm-and-cuddly-kinda-way". Hasn't aged as well as I hoped (as I hadn't seen it in 10 - 15 years) but it still have some great scenes and the finale with
    Frank in his coffin burning to death
    scared the crap out. Danny Elfman's score is top-notch too.

50/50 - watched this today and really enjoyed it too actually. Having a aunt who passed away a few months back (after being diagnosed with cancer 2 months earlier), this was both quite an emotional watch but also very entertaining. Joseph-Gordon Levitt just keeps on going from strength-to-strength and this has gotta be one of his best performances yet, and Seth Rogen is very good too. Don't think it'll win big awards time but I do think it should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Basq wrote: »

Scrooged - a Christmas classic. Murray is excellent as always and Karen Allen is cute in a "non-glamourous-though-warm-and-cuddly-kinda-way". Hasn't aged as well as I hoped (as I hadn't seen it in 10 - 15 years) but it still have some great scenes and the finale with

50/50 - watched this today and really enjoyed it too actually. Having a aunt who passed away a few months back (after being diagnosed with cancer 2 months earlier), this was both quite an emotional watch but also very entertaining. Joseph-Gordon Levitt just keeps on going from strength-to-strength and this has gotta be one of his best performances yet, and Seth Rogen is very good too. Don't think it'll win big awards time but I do think it should.

Does Seth Rogen play Seth Rogen again in 50/50?

More or less...

.. but he is less irritating than usual.

Basq wrote: »

The character Rogan plays is based on him so it's the first time that his playing himself can be claimed as a positive in a film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Project Nim this evening. Great documentary, touching and disturbing in places too. Didn't anthropomorphise the ape as much as I was afraid it might either.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

watching district 9 on rte2. if anyone missed, rent it, one of the best films i've ever seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

The Ides of March - tense political drama with a top shelf cast, really worth watching.

Stand and Deliver - a classic from the 80s about a maths teacher in a tough district of Los Angeles. Very good.

Drive - I thought this had potential to be the best film of 2011, but I was somewhat disappointed. I'd still give it 8/10, but I was hoping for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

My little brother got me a couple of brd's for Christmas. Watched em on NYE.

Moon: Excellent sci-fi, very understated but poses real questions about how people react when there entire world view is just completely torn asunder. The effects were marvellous, the soundtrack was haunting, and I understand why this movie has so much hype around it - it really is excellent. Sam Rockwell plays a stormer as the protagonist of the story..

Let Me In: An interestingly modern take on a vampire story. I loved the idea of this movie and they executed on the premise (which I believe was heavily based on a 2008 european film) well. Not a top tenner but definitely an honorable mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Taxi Driver bluray. Brilliant.

Fright Night (2011)

Good harmless popcorn fun... don't get me wrong, the majority of the cast (Farrell and Tennant in particular) ham it up to the nines but they have great fun doing it.

A 105 minute runtime than flys by and a couple of great action set pieces (
    house explosion
    and
    car chase
    ) make it a worthwhile watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Watched Trespass (2011) with the missus last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1674784/

Not an outstanding movie but good enough and with a solid cast in Nicholas Cage and Nicole Kidman as a couple who have it all until someone else decides they want it too.

Theres a mild plot twist towards the end. However the kidnap crew is so messy, disorganized and remove their masks so early that parts of the movie feel kind of stupid. And the lead guy on the kidnap crew seems to talk too much especially from initial contact instead of getting to the point. Even my granny could plan a cleaner heist ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

[QUOTE=sillo;76271360

Let Me In: An interestingly modern take on a vampire story. I loved the idea of this movie and they executed on the premise (which I believe was heavily based on a 2008 european film) well. Not a top tenner but definitely an honorable mention.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed Let Me In too, but I strongly recommend watching Let The Right One In which is the Swedish movie its based on. Its a borderline modern classic at this stage.

Watched 30 Minutes or Less last night. It had its moments, passed an hour and a half, wouldn't watch it again or anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Our Idiot Brother - Watched it last night after finally making it hoem post christmas clan gathering of doom. Enjoyed it but not overly. Characters were not really believeable and I wanted to slap Rudd upside the head a few times. Made me laugh in a few places though. 3/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Electra Glide in blue - the other side of Easy rider, didn't like it much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Primer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Stake Land
    Enjoyable spin on the vampire genre.Id describe it as a cross between Day of the Dead,Near Dark and The Road.Bleak outlook and an ambiguous ending means a thumbs up from me.
    8/10

Inbetweeners Movie
    Really didnt enjoy this much at all.Very predictable,sickly saccharine ending and the gags weren't very funny.
    5/10

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    Im generally not one for CGI heavy blockbuster type movies but I did enjoy this.The CGI work was pretty effective (well,as effective as CGI can be),decent enough plot and some surprisingly touching moments.
    7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Just watched Kill Bill Vol. 1 for the first time. Very good action and the ending was a great surprise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

sillo wrote: »
    Let Me In: An interestingly modern take on a vampire story. I loved the idea of this movie and they executed on the premise (which I believe was heavily based on a 2008 european film) well. Not a top tenner but definitely an honorable mention.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Let Me In too, but I strongly recommend watching Let The Right One In which is the Swedish movie its based on. Its a borderline modern classic at this stage.

Yeah, I liked Let Me In, but apart from one cool sequence, it's a redundant remake of a far superior film. On the surface both films seem identical, but the original is a much richer and more thoughtfully made film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

tunedout wrote: »
    Primer

Brilliant movie, really should have a higher profile than it has.

One that maybe needs to be watched at least 2-3 times to fully appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

but apart from one cool sequence, it's a redundant remake of a far superior film.

Which sequence?

To be honest, I wasn't impressed enough by the remake to justify tracking down the original :) I'm just not generally a big vamp fan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

sillo wrote: »
    but apart from one cool sequence, it's a redundant remake of a far superior film.

Which sequence?

To be honest, I wasn't impressed enough by the remake to justify tracking down the original :) I'm just not generally a big vamp fan.
    The rolling car.

I'm not a vampire fan and I'd imagine most fans of the original aren't either. The remake was designed to be more mainstream. Although I'm not sure how much you would enjoy it now that you've already seen one version of the story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement