Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Something is Killing Tate- decent indie movie about a man coming to terms with his past
    Life is Hot in Cracktown - very good movie - though, skip the first 10 minutes if you are sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Mate of mine sudgested Adam Sandler isn't funny anymore (unless it's a rom-com type like Daddy Day-Care or Waterboy, can't think of anything else he's been in offhand) & after watching it, I'm tended to agree.

Adam Sandler wasn't in Daddy Day Care -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy_Daycare#Cast

And I doubt that the Waterboy was a rom-com. Football was the core of the film and its about his rise and growth in it. His romance was an underlying part of it.

Recently -

Seraphim Falls - This was alright. For a chase movie it was too slow going and didn't have enough excitement. There wasn't enough substance in the story about the actual 'Seraphim Falls' and the characters prior to the chase. However both Brosnan and Neeson were terrific and it looks great switching from the Rocky mountains to the deserts. However
    Wtf was the woman at the end about? It made no sense to me until I looked it up, people reckon it's a reference to the devil among others. It ruined it a little for me.

Juno - Been out ages and I never seen it. Must say I liked this, it's a sweet film and Ellen Page rightly deserved her oscar nomination (Afaik she got a nomination) she's on great form in this. Didn't really like Micheal Cera though, maybe it was the fact he didn't get much screen time.

Cloverfield - Enjoyed this. For me it was 80 minutes of a rollercoaster ride. The '1st person view' was a little difficult to get into at first but you come around to it eventually. Great fun and I loved the military scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Boy in the striped pj's. didnt think i would like this movie but i realy enjoyed.
    Knowing. ended bad, liked the early scenes.

Just watched and absolutely loved Catch Me If You Can. I bought the DVD with birthday money last year and have repeatedly started watching it only for something to come up. Every aspect of the film was perfect and DeCaprio's performance was superb. He really is one of the most talented actors in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Boy in the striped pj's. didnt think i would like this movie but i realy enjoyed.
    Knowing. ended bad, liked the early scenes.

+1 about knowing. i thought it was a great film but was really let down in the last 20 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

District 9- Thought was very good.
    Choke- another very good movie very funny aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Just watched and absolutely loved Catch Me If You Can. I bought the DVD with birthday money last year and have repeatedly started watching it only for something to come up. Every aspect of the film was perfect and DeCaprio's performance was superb. He really is one of the most talented actors in years.

I am actually shocked (for some reason) that you did not see that, till now.
    It is the one movie where Tom Hanks actually plays someone other than Tom Hanks.
    DeCaprio is only now starting to get over Titanic, in peoples' eyes. Huge movie but crippled his carear IMO

Hardly,Gangs of New York ,The Beach, The Aviator,The Man in the Iron Mask,he is a solid actor and it seems he shook off the Titanic with ease!

check out his IMDB page theres alot!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

say all the crap you want about him, he was teriffic in Aviator

yea love that movie

• Advertisement

Hardly,Gangs of New York ,The Beach, The Aviator,The Man in the Iron Mask,he is a solid actor and it seems he shook off the Titanic with ease!

check out his IMDB page theres alot!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/

I meant public perception of him
    I still know people who will not want to watch a movie because he is in it. All they see is the annoying character from Titanic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Watched Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai last night, very enjoyable, interesting themes and a solid perfromance from Forest Whitaker in the lead role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He has a new film out soon called ''Shutter Island'', directed by Scorcese. Looks awesome!

Personally, DiCaprio is one of my favourite actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Inglorious Basterds: enjoyed it, worth a watch. Not Tarantino's best work.
    The Final Destination: just a piss poor movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Slat3

Memories of Murder - Best crime movie since The Usual Suspects with a great cast.(You will love this if you like No Country For Old Men)
    Sexy Beast - Great if you like tarantino's stuff .
    District 9 - Awful acting, story and plot.
    Joint Security Area - Another excellent South Korea movie.
    Anvil - The Story of Anvil - Plays with all of your emotions (Great Score)

I thought he was brilliant in 'Blood Diamond'.

Great movie.

I am actually shocked (for some reason) that you did not see that, till now.
    It is the one movie where Tom Hanks actually plays someone other than Tom Hanks.
    DeCaprio is only now starting to get over Titanic, in peoples' eyes. Huge movie but crippled his carear IMO

Seen buts of it but I've never been a big Tom Hanks fan and find Spielberg to be a very over rated director so often I will let the hype die down with both their films. I think that DeCaprio did the right thing accepting Titanic, it hasn't hurt his career in any way. It's helped him mature into one of the few A listers who has genuine talent.

I've liked him since I saw the Basketball Diaries when it was first released and he has continued to impress. Shutter Island looks brilliant but unfortunately we have along wait ahead of us till we see it.
    I thought he was brilliant in 'Blood Diamond'.

Great movie.

Apart from the dreadful ending, they should have ended it
    with DeCaprio on the cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Watched Jurassic Park today. I guess I don't need to tell you I loved it. :cool:

Shadowboxer - An absolute waste of 90 minutes. Nothing here works, it's like a pretentious student film masquerading as an action film. The casting is poor, the action is woeful and the sex scenes are about as arousing as the videoed rape of a 4 year old. Helen Mirren shames herself by appearing and really lets be honest here, any film whose highlight include Stephen Dorf's cock isn't really much of a film. The film also features multiple shots of Cuba Gooding Jr's arse and the most unappealing female masturbation scene ever committed to celluloid.

The Future is Unwritten- A very touching look at the life of the late, great Joe Strummer. Julien Temple who made the superbh The Filth and the Fury mixes interviews with friends, band members with footage of the great man. It really is quite a sad story and a genuinely touching one. The only real complaint I have is the lack of Paul Simonon who after Mick was Strummer's greatest influence during the Clash years. The lack of any mention of Tim Armstrong is also missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

The Boat that Rocked - very disappointing effort given such a great comedic cast. Has some funny moments but not much else. The ending,
    with the boats coming to rescue them is pretty ludicrous
    and even the soundtrack is a let down. 3/10.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Watched Jurassic Park today. I guess I don't need to tell you I loved it. :cool:

I just rewatched the three of them.
    For the first time, i have a room that is big enough to have the seat in the surround sound "Sweet spot"

AWESOME!!!

Apart from the dreadful ending, they should have ended it
    with DeCaprio on the cliff.

You have a point.
    Been a bit since I seen it so forgive any left out pieces. It finished with Solomon giving the speech right? Soloman and Danny were both central in the film, they had their own seperate lives and stories. To finish it with Danny there on is own and Solomon running for the plane it would have left the audience wondering what happened to Vandy. But I get your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just watched Midnight Express on blu ray. A great film given a very good transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

In the Cinema
    A perfect Getaway
    500 days of Summer
    3D Final Destination 4

DVD
    A haunting in Connecticut
    The Unborn

There was loads on TV the other night..
    AI (???WTF)
    Phonebooth (meh)
    Magdalene Sisters (Good but sad)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

Watched Arachnophobia the other night. Really surprised how well this has aged - made in 1990 and has a good performance from Jeff Daniels. John Goodman seems to have something like his own theme tune in it though.

Some of the scenes with the spiders still make my skin crawl and it was done really well (apart from the blatant
    radio-controlled big queen bitch of a spider
    ).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i watched Breach again the other night. Its very much a slow burning drama but I like it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401997/

Ok I know it has Ryan Phillippe in it, but it does have the excellent Chris Cooper in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I watched Outlander last night, its set in Norway 700 AD and the majority of vikings speak with Irish accents ??? :eek:

And how/why is James Caviezel scoring lead roles? he was terribad in that movie, Totally emotionless :( It's the only thing ive seen him in, is he usually a weak actor?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Hurt Locker - an absolutely astoundingly great movie. In fact, this is so good i'll be watching it again over the weekend.
    It possibly has broken into my top 10 movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Watched Arachnophobia the other night. Really surprised how well this has aged - made in 1990 and has a good performance from Jeff Daniels. John Goodman seems to have something like his own theme tune in it though.

Some of the scenes with the spiders still make my skin crawl and it was done really well (apart from the blatant
    radio-controlled big queen bitch of a spider
    ).

I am absolutely terrified by this film. My worst nightmare brought perfectly to the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

nix wrote: »
    I watched Outlander last night, its set in Norway 700 AD and the majority of vikings speak with Irish accents ??? :eek:

And how/why is James Caviezel scoring lead roles? he was terribad in that movie, Totally emotionless :( It's the only thing ive seen him in, is he usually a weak actor?

He was pretty good in The Passion of the Christ, although i think he's been living off it for some time now.

Watched Dumb & Dumber last. I must have seen it 40 times at this point, still makes me laugh every time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement