Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bnt wrote: »
    Two films in last couple of days:

Only Yesterday: anime from Studio Ghibli, about a young Tokyo woman trying to decide what to do with her life. So she spends the summer on a farm in the country, while reliving memories from when she was 10 years old in the 60s. Originally released in Japan in 1991, everywhere else about five years ago. Doesn't sound like much, but the way the story is told and animated really makes it work. The attention to detail is stunning, and the ending is quite emotional in its simplicity.

Citizen Ruth: bittersweet comedy about a young woman who becomes a pawn in the "abortion wars" in the USA, starring Laura Dern. An early film by Alexander Payne (Election, Sideways, About Schmidt), who's having a little season at the IFI in the run-up to his new film The Descendants. One of my favourite actresses and one of my favourite directors - why had I never heard of this one before?

Laura's character is a mess - we first meet her getting kicked out by an abusive boyfriend, her brother won't let her see the two of her four children who aren't in foster homes, and she gets arrested after passing out behind the same hardware store from which she bought the paint she was huffing. Then she finds out she's pregnant again, meets some radical anti-abortionists in prison, and all hell breaks loose. Some mad pro-choicers get involved too: it's a balanced approach to the issues, if by "balanced" we mean "both sides are equally freaking nuts". :pac:

Not heard of Citizen Ruth before, love Payne's other films, will definitley track this one down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

camp victory Afghanistan
    documentary very interesting worth a watch

link here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1601184/

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

welcome to arrow beach

i remember this one playing the film centre back in the day under the title tender flesh. it's a dark little shocker with not much onscreen violence except for a very graphic murder which looks like it was taken out of a hg lewis flick. the excellent soundtrack helps alot.

7/10

apollo 18

the trailer had me really intrigued although why it got a 15 is beyond me. it's extremely well done for a low budget film although the central twist i found to be very ho hum. a decent effort by the first time director i thought. it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with next...

5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Real Steel

Probably the cheesiest film I've seen in years. By-The-Numbers underdog boxing / any sport movie adding absolutely nothing to the genre except robots battering the shìte out of each other.

Was entertaining but, Jesus, with a serious dollop of cheese and sugary sweetness to it. GF loved the hokeyness of it all, I felt like vomiting towards the end :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

Just finished watching an amazing film.. Temple Grandin.. has anyone seen it?would defo give 9/10 almost would say 10/10.. really helped me see the condition of autism so much clearer.. would definitley recommend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

aimerlans wrote: »
    Just finished watching an amazing film.. Temple Grandin.. has anyone seen it?would defo give 9/10 almost would say 10/10.. really helped me see the condition of autism so much clearer.. would definitley recommend

Really depends though whether you watch films to be entertained or traumatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Great art should be able to elicit both responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

i wouldn't call it traumatizing at all. it's more educational than anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Traumatized by what? Cows?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Real Steel

Probably the cheesiest film I've seen in years. By-The-Numbers underdog boxing / any sport movie adding absolutely nothing to the genre except robots battering the shìte out of each other.

Was entertaining but, Jesus, with a serious dollop of cheese and sugary sweetness to it. GF loved the hokeyness of it all, I felt like vomiting towards the end :pac:

I really enjoyed Real Steel. In terms of theme and emotional pay off I found it very similar to Warrior but more aimed at kids obviously(and not near as good) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

watched all 7 police academy movies back to back. Seemed like a good idea at the time, all I can say is that is one day i will never get back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

vex wrote: »
    watched all 7 police academy movies back to back. Seemed like a good idea at the time, all I can say is that is one day i will never get back :(

Did you not realise it was a bad idea after, say, the third one? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

budgemook wrote: »
    Did you not realise it was a bad idea after, say, the third one? :)

I wanted to quit after the 2nd one but, my mates were like "come on, dont be like that, who else can say they have watched all 7 police academy movies?"

Peer presure its a bitch kids!!!!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the first two are actually good, 3 and 4 are stupid guilty pleasures, then they got rubbish, even Steve Guttenburg didnt turn up for part 5 :pac:

I think I prefer my friends, they made me watch 4 Werner Herzog films back to back. Have been a huge fan ever since :)

Edit: I have to say a bit of Smoke was involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

"The stoning of Soraya M"-leaves you feeling utterly helpless.
    "Harold and Maude"-what's to say about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Roger and me - car factory closes and Michael Moore somehow blames its CEO as workers there were supposed to have a job for life because the town was where the company began. Left-wing nonsense.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Tree of Life. The most pretentious piece of garbage I've ever seen. Although it was nice to look at and I enjoyed Pitt's performance

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Real Steel. In terms of theme and emotional pay off I found it very similar to Warrior but more aimed at kids obviously(and not near as good) :D

This. When I saw it in the cinema I had to resist the urge to jump up and celebrate at the end
    even though he didn't win
    which is something I rarely, if ever feel while watching a film. Proper feel-good flick

Nolanger wrote: »
    Roger and me - car factory closes and Michael Moore somehow blames its CEO as workers there were supposed to have a job for life because the town was where the company began. Left-wing nonsense.

Seen it in the Adelphi when it came out, fantastic and moving film, but having said that I have compassion for the plight of other human beings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Just watched Tyrannosaur. Paddy Considine's directorial debut. Awesome. Worth checking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Sounded great on the blurb,but in the end,did'nt work out for me.A good idea that started out well,but for me was'nt scary or funny,just mediocre.
    Worth a look,but a missed opportunity imo.
    The film focuses on a group of local reindeer herders whose Christmas is disturbed by excavations on the mountain. A scientist has ordered a team of workers to dig open what he calls "the largest burial mound in the world". An explosive used by the team uncovers what is referred to as a "sacred grave".
    However, the occupant of the grave is still alive. Soon, the reindeer important to the local people are mysteriously killed, and children and supplies begin to disappear from the town. It emerges that the occupant is the source of the original Santa Claus myth; a supernatural being who, rather than rewarding good children, punishes the naughty.
    One family, however, manages to catch the culprit in a trap, and plans to sell it to the scientist to cover the losses caused by his excavation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just finished watching Primer after mentions and recommendations in this thread.

WOW. What a film! Complex but gripping the whole of the way through. Didn't find the tech jargon too bad since I have a passing interest in it but I can understand if some felt overwhelmed.
    Thought it was fairly riveting actually. The moral dilemma of
    what you would do with such power plays out brilliantly and the dynamic/strain of their friendship is quite natural.
    I think I'll be watching it again very soon to see if I really did catch and follow everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Just finished watching Bronson.

I really enjoyed it.

Tom Hardy really gets in to his roles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I watched Attack the Block tonight. Excellent little film that I regret not seeing in the cinema. Very witty and energetic. I can't really say a bad word about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Id seen it when it 1st came out but I wasn't paying that much attention 1st time viewing.
    But I really enjoyed Pineapple express. very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I watched Attack the Block tonight. Excellent little film that I regret not seeing in the cinema. Very witty and energetic. I can't really say a bad word about it.

pretty risky setting a movie around a group of unlikeable little scrotes but it works well, has some really funny lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Just watched Milk last night, and to say I was moved is to understate it. Powerful, enthralling film. Sean Penn gives a performance of a lifetime, while the supporting cast (especially James Franco, Diego Luna and Josh Brolin) are all superb. This is Penn's show, but it is a testament to the power of the supporting actors that they are never overshadowed by him.

Some of the scenes will move you to tears (unless you have a swinging brick instead of a heart) and you will be left feeling so inspired by this film. Watch this film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

French Connection II - on a rare incursion into TV land last night. It's the less frequently shown of the two movies and not a patch on the first but excellent nontheless. The two are my favourite Gene Hackman movies - next to his role as Sheriff Little Bill in "Unforgiven". :D

gene-hackman-french-2.jpg
    Popeye Doyle undergoing Cold Turkey in the French Connection II

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Tombstone

Was on the other night after match of the day and seeing as I've never seen it I decided to give it a lash.
    Pure popcorn stuff, ridiculously entertaining. Have to say Val Kilmer stole the show. I've never seen Costner's "Wyatt Earp" but by all accounts Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday is even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

krudler wrote: »
    pretty risky setting a movie around a group of unlikeable little scrotes but it works well, has some really funny lines.

Indeed. So unlikeable that it ruined the movie for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement