Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DaEvilTwin

Watched We need to talk about Kevin last night a little disturbing at times but still an extremely powerful film. Tilda Swinton puts in a great performance surly worth at least an oscar nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tunguska wrote: »
    Tombstone

Was on the other night after match of the day and seeing as I've never seen it I decided to give it a lash.
    Pure popcorn stuff, ridiculously entertaining. Have to say Val Kilmer stole the show. I've never seen Costner's "Wyatt Earp" but by all accounts Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday is even better.

I like Michael Beihn in it too, hell I like him in everything, pity he didnt have more of a career, great in the Terminator, great in Aliens, great in The Abyss. Cameron should put him in something again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Canyon passage - the greenest Western ever with some shocking Indian attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. A gently compelling film that has a real soothing quality to it. Uncle Boonmee is dying and people from his past appear and converse with him and his companions, basically that's it but yet the film seduces you and you quickly fall under it's spell. I did anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

krudler wrote: »
    I like Michael Beihn in it too, hell I like him in everything, pity he didnt have more of a career, great in the Terminator, great in Aliens, great in The Abyss. Cameron should put him in something again.

He was pretty good in Planet Terror too.:D

• Advertisement

He was pretty good in Planet Terror too.:D

forgot he was even in that, although I tried to wipe it out of my mind when I saw it so thats probably why :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Fortress
    early 90's sci fi action movie with christopher lambert who gets sent to prison trying to smuggle his pregnant wife out of a totalitarian 1 baby per family state. I saw this years and years ago but until someone mentioned it tonight had forgotten it ever existed. Brilliant movie.
    Crime does not pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

Had a movie night last night. In order:

Kill List: WFT???? I dont even..........x/10

Tinket tailor soldier spy: Excellent espionage/detective story. Reminded me of Michael Caines Harry Palmer, in a good way. 7/10

Kung Fu Panda 2: Really enjoyed it. The animation is top notch, great way to end the night. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tell No One

Fantastically entertaining French thriller from a few years ago about a husband who's wife is apparently murdered at the start, until eight years later he starts receiving emails from her account.

Extremely well acted and beautifully directed, he does have some fantastic twists and turns along the way, maybe a bit too many but that's a minor complaint.

Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

krudler wrote: »

Agreed. He's criminally underused. Actually that'd be a good idea for a thread: Underused great actors. I'd also go with Carl weathers in that category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I watched Attack the Block tonight. Excellent little film that I regret not seeing in the cinema. Very witty and energetic. I can't really say a bad word about it.
    I also enjoyed it. Love Joe Cornish. Mark Kermode did a horrendous review of it, and Joe correctly called him out on it when he was live on the show. Kermode just kept comparing it to Shawn of the Dead for no reason.
    French Connection II - on a rare incursion into TV land last night. It's the less frequently shown of the two movies and not a patch on the first but excellent nontheless. The two are my favourite Gene Hackman movies - next to his role as Sheriff Little Bill in "Unforgiven". :D
    The scene where he's talking about baseball to French officer is just so good.
    I agree it's not as good as the first, but its how all sequels should really be... totally different.

Watched Kill List last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. There's been comparisons to 'The Wicker Man', but thats in a different league imo due to it actually having a plot! Just having Tyres from Spaced in it though makes it a film worth seeing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

adox wrote: »
    Tell No One

Fantastically entertaining French thriller from a few years ago about a husband who's wife is apparently murdered at the start, until eight years later he starts receiving emails from her account.

Extremely well acted and beautifully directed, he does have some fantastic twists and turns along the way, maybe a bit too many but that's a minor complaint.

Recommended.

+1 Really excellent film

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched The Hole this afternoon. Very enjoyable but I have to say I was surprised it was a kids movie. Outdoes a lot of other horrors I've seen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

The perfomances were pitch perfect, the cinematography and direction sublime. They did a very good job in condensing the storyline into a 2 hour movie. I think it helped that I had seen the mini-series before watching the movie. I watched it with my brother (who had not seen the mini-series) and he was fairly confused by the end - some of its subtlety (the ephemeral,telling exchange of glances) and the layered plot may have made it difficult to follow.If I was nipicking I would say that the
    Jim Prideaux & Bill Hayden relationship might have been slightly under-developed, a relationship that is crucial to the emotional payoff at the end
    but I thought that the
    Ricki Tarr storyline was handled perfectly - Tom Hardy was much better than the actor who played the role in the mini-series - he really made me feel sorry for him whereas in the mini-series he just comes across as a prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Watched Bronson today , thought it was kinda weird but still enjoyed it .

Think I'm getting a man crush on Tom Hardy .

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Watched Bronson today , thought it was kinda weird but still enjoyed it .

Think I'm getting a man crush on Tom Hardy .

2012 is gonna be a big year for him - he's got The Dark Knight Rises,The Wettest County and This Means War coming out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

watched two pretty awesome movies over the last week, i saw the devil ,and the girl with the dragon tattoo (original)..

excellent viewing, not for the faint of heart

tunguska wrote: »
    Agreed. He's criminally underused. Actually that'd be a good idea for a thread: Underused great actors. I'd also go with Carl weathers in that category.

Beihn and Weathers? get a decent director and you got yourself a stew going :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bullet to Beijing (1995) a fairly expensive but quite mediocre Showtime TV movie revival of Harry Palmer, Michael Caine turns up to take the money (both literally and metaphorically) but he is the only reason to watch really. Curious almost serio-comic tone until things finally get serious in the last 30 mins. The thing works best in showing post-Commie Russia as a place that barely functions. The follow up is even worse by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

mike65 wrote: »
    Bullet to Beijing (1995) a fairly expensive but quite mediocre Showtime TV movie revival of Harry Palmer, Michael Caine turns up to take the money (both literally and metaphorically) but he is the only reason to watch really. Curious almost serio-comic tone until things finally get serious in the last 30 mins. The thing works best in showing post-Commie Russia as a place that barely functions. The follow up is even worse by all accounts.

On my 'to buy' list on Amazon. Will still buy despite your review. Just love anything with Michael Caine and I have the earlier ones in the Harry Palmer series. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

tyrannasour

what a film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On my 'to buy' list on Amazon. Will still buy despite your review. Just love anything with Michael Caine and I have the earlier ones in the Harry Palmer series. :D

Mad completist! I hope its cheap. The 60s movies are on a completely different level to the revival pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Megan is Missing.
    Allegedly based on a true story about a 14 year old tearaway that meets a man on an internet chat room and subsequently gets abducted by him.Its shot documentary style with "real" footage of girls from video cameras etc,police interviews,news updates.Id heard on a few forums that its a disturbing movie,boring more like.Nothing really happens until the last 20 minutes or so and even at that its tame fare.
    There are much better mockumentaries out there.
    5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Johnny Belinda

I saw it on RTÉ's last picture show about fifteen years ago and always remembered it

Superb film, black and white and about life on a small island where everyone knows everyone and people would bitch about you behind your back.

Where the respectable people are anything but respectable and the people that others look down on are the most noble kind hearted people in the place

Small town Ireland tbh. ;)

Loved it, the actress who played a deaf and dumb girl deservedly won an Oscar. I forget her name, I read she was married to Ronald Reagan.

Watch the forties version, not the eighties one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

S1m0ne

Got middling reviews and is barely known

I thought it was one of the best films I've seen
    Science fiction, chick flick, spoof on arrogant Hollywood stars and the media who swallow any hype, it fits several slots at the same time

Al Pacino, Catherine Keener, Winona Ryder, a young Evan Rachel Wood and a great performance from Jay Mohr

But nobody knows this film. Why?
    Pacino has been in some turkeys and maybe people thought it was one of these

Not so
    If you wanted a light hearted film that's cleverly done this is the film I'd recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The skin I live in.
    I knew nothing about this apart from Antonio Banderas plays a surgeon. I wasn't expecting much from this and the cover was off putting.

I'm glad I knew nothing as it made it more enjoyable. Recommending this to everyone, have to watch it again. One of the best of 2011 without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dead Mans Shoes

great revenge movie, I kind of guessed what gonna happen earlier on except for the ending. fairly upsetting mood in it tho but captivating
    nice cinematography and score, directed by Shane Meadows (This is England)

watched Gummo last night too. undecided on it. some of the non actors ruined it for me but it doesnt always feel like a movie. the arm wrestling scene and aftermath is hillarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Jet Black wrote: »
    The skin I live in.
    I knew nothing about this apart from Antonio Banderas plays a surgeon. I wasn't expecting much from this and the cover was off putting.

I'm glad I knew nothing as it made it more enjoyable. Recommending this to everyone, have to watch it again. One of the best of 2011 without a doubt.
    forgot about that one, will check it out thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Jet Black wrote: »
    The skin I live in.

Finished watching this an hour ago. Pretty good and better than Broken Embraces I think but Almodóvar's earlier work is still superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Finished watching this an hour ago. Pretty good and better than Broken Embraces I think but Almodóvar's earlier work is still superior.

Never heard of him untl now. Going to have to look at his other stuff now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement