Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Sleuth (1972) A fantastically intelligent thriller which see's Laurence Olivier's older, upper class gentleman author pit wits with Michael Caine's middle class ladies man. The connection between the two? The formers wife happens to be the latter's lover.

This film was one I happened upon, but immensely enjoyable all the same, highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

wasnt expecting much due to the low rating on imdb but it was good, not the usual revenge film, worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

GAAman wrote: »
    Sleuth (1972) A fantastically intelligent thriller which see's Laurence Olivier's older, upper class gentleman author pit wits with Michael Caine's middle class ladies man. The connection between the two? The formers wife happens to be the latter's lover.

This film was one I happened upon, but immensely enjoyable all the same, highly recommend it.

Used to be shown every christmas.Haven't seen it in years,but at the time thought it was a great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Used to be shown every christmas.Haven't seen it in years,but at the time thought it was a great movie.

That's weird, I have never seen it on tv before. Sky classics was recently added to the xbox channels so I am catching some great movies on it at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Midnight in Paris: Woody Allen's latest, this movie really struck me as something special. A deeply heartfelt tribute to the city of lights, Owen Wilson is cast perfectly as a struggling American writer on vacation with his (somewhat overly horrible) fiancée. Strange things happen in the city at Midnight and Wilson is transported to Paris in the 20's; Allen puts forward the most heartfelt vision of a time of creativity and wonder, and as Wilson takes it all in it's almost impossible not to envy him.

Absolutely cracking movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

500 Days of Summer

Somehow never got round to seeing it, was just on Channel 4, but it's an absolutely brilliant film, probably the best I've seen in some time. JGL take a bow. Minka Kelly sealed the deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Mission Impossible - not as good as I remembered. but a good film all the same. only 1 hour 41 mins though. kinda short for a spy/action film

onto MI2 tonight. better film.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

SarahBM wrote: »
    Mission Impossible - not as good as I remembered. but a good film all the same. only 1 hour 41 mins though. kinda short for a spy/action film

onto MI2 tonight. better film.
    Seriously? John Woo's effort is by far the weakest in the series! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Those flippin doves...and the bikes...such a car-wreck of a movie. Jumpcuts every five seconds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

sillo wrote: »
    Those flippin doves...and the bikes...such a car-wreck of a movie. Jumpcuts every five seconds too.
    3b5d74bb-db3f-4c1d-9066-1ebf594b2f07.jpg

While I haven't seen 'Ghost Protocol', I loved MI:3 but then again, I'm a JJ Abrams fiend!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kill List: Had heard a fair few raving about this. I enjoyed(for want of a better word) it a lot. it was pretty vicious in places and certainly one of the few films that I've seen that had me scared. The visuals and music are used very well to keep the viewer tense and on edge all the time. It takes a pretty crazy turn towards the end which bares obvious comparisons to another horror film which I won't say here. I was a little underwhelmed at the end, I felt the way the film played out we deserved more answers at the end, I didn't want everything spelled out but some explanation would have been nice. I'm all for ambiguous endings but I don't think it did the film any favours here.Regardless of that its still one of the best films I've seen all year and one I will rewatch again.

Attack the Block: Who would have thought the two best genre pictures of the year would be british? This was absolutely outstanding. Just a great horror film but in a very different way to Kill List. It's witty, well acted and has a decent plot with strong characters that you end up caring about. The monsters are well designed and genuinely threatening. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Belief blood.

I also rewatched Point Break last night too. Its still awesome dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

The Evil Dead. I liked it, I guess? I'm not sure. I can never tell if laughing at bad movies means you enjoyed it or not. I found it mostly tedious by the end.

Also watched Rec and Insidious. The latter was pretty hokey. The stuff with the old granny stalking Nite Owl was pretty sinister though. Might have been better if they built more of the movie around her than Darth Maul. [Rec] was good but I expected it to be scarier for some reason.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mindkiller wrote: »
    The Evil Dead. I liked it, I guess? I'm not sure. I can never tell if laughing at bad movies means you enjoyed it or not. I found it mostly tedious by the end.

Evil Dead? Bad? I'm more a fan of the sequels but this makes me sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I Went Down: great fun. Brendan Gleeson makes the film, in fairness... but still, this is a right funny little romp around Ireland. The Coen Brothers transported into Dublin, basically. I loved it.

Goodfellas: still the best gangster film. Ever. Gotta love it. So good. Hyperventilating now over how good this film is...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Artist – saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Recommended.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Evil Dead? Bad? I'm more a fan of the sequels but this makes me sad :(
    It's considered good? When I watched it I got the same sense I got while watching Troll 2. The scene where a woman gets raped by trees was so contextually absurd I couldn't understand if it was meant to be a joke.

It's funny though, I'll give it that (barring the tree-rape)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Brilliant comedy imo - Love Jason Segal and Paul Rudd but Mila Kunis is also a huge plus :pac:

Moneyball - loved this, I love Explosions in the Sky and as they've already proven with Friday Night Lights, their music accompanies Sports movies really well.

Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are quite good in it and the script was nicely written - some very funny writing in there.

It's considered good? When I watched it I got the same sense I got while watching Troll 2. The scene where a woman gets raped by trees was so contextually absurd I couldn't understand if it was meant to be a joke.

Its considered a classic as far as i know :D The first one is very different in tone to the others, much more a full on horror film. The tree rape scene is a bit mad alright, but I found the tone to be quite dark otherwise. The FX have aged badly but they still do the job imo. 2 & 3 are played entirely for laughs but I never considered the first one a comedy, more a horror with a few funny bits. Its Raimi's frenetic camera work and style that make it though.Each to their own though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

i was looking forward to this for ages, highly disappointing, the story is so slow, things that need explaining like character backgrounds ect are just skipped over, what is shown in the film is so predictable and drawn out.
    i must say the cast was amazing, acting was good but that couldnt save the film in my opinion, 2 hours and 7 minutes of a snorefest, i was really tempted to turn it off several times, but due to the awards and high ratings i kept plugging away,next time i know better.
    2/10 :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I saw Evil Dead for the first time recently, and had heard all the controversy about that scene. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's quite early in the film, and it left me wondering what the controversy was about. I don't know if what I saw was a censored version, but the girl attacked by the tree got away pretty quickly, before it could do her much harm i.e. it got no further than an attempted rape, it seemed to me. Which was still pretty silly.

As for the rest of the film ... well, it was ground-breaking in its effects, but I didn't really see the point of it all. But then that's how I feel about most horror films. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Seemed like full on tree rape to me. I don't know if the version you watched had the scene where we had a POV of the tree branch... I'm not sure if I can type the rest of that without getting a ban. I hadn't heard of the scene before I saw the movie so I didn't know of any controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

War Horse: Saw this one last night, the OH and I really enjoyed it. Bit of a slow burner at the start but stick with it. There is some good acting and great action scenes of course! It also features one of the acting best scenes I've seen in a long time featuring a german+british soldier talking in no-man's land - fantastic stuff! Recommended. Would probably give it 8.5/10.

bnt wrote: »
    I saw Evil Dead for the first time recently, and had heard all the controversy about that scene. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's quite early in the film, and it left me wondering what the controversy was about. I don't know if what I saw was a censored version, but the girl attacked by the tree got away pretty quickly, before it could do her much harm i.e. it got no further than an attempted rape, it seemed to me. Which was still pretty silly.

Sounds like you saw an edited version.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

STRAW DOGS

could'nt resist the SE going for a fiver at the local sale! :) seen it many times before but it still lives up on every viewing. my favourite peckinpah film, although the osterman weekend comes a near second, it's just compulsive fascinating viewing from a legendary director.

the extras are brill...my favourite being jerry fieldings isolated score...

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Miami Vice. Bought the blu ray for 5.99. Hadn't watched it in a while. It's a good film but considering Michael Mann directed it and his history with the show it should have been so much better. The performances are good but the characters are not developed, I would like to see Mann give this another go the potential is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I now Pronouce you Chuck and Larry super film the fat lad should get more roles very underated film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Just caught Hunger on Film 4. A vivid visual look inside the Maze prison in the lead up to the 1981 Hunger strike. A brutal, disturbing & raw film. Much more than shock value with powerful scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

rednik wrote: »
    Miami Vice. Bought the blu ray for 5.99. Hadn't watched it in a while. It's a good film but considering Michael Mann directed it and his history with the show it should have been so much better. The performances are good but the characters are not developed, I would like to see Mann give this another go the potential is there.

Its gorgeously shot and has some good scenes but its a bit hollow, Jamie Foxx was meant to have been a right knob on the set as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Le Quattro Volte (The Four Times)

I passed on seeing in this in the cinema earlier in the year. It looked boring and abstract. Well how I wrong I was! Beautiful film, which despite the philosophical and allegorical elements hinted at in the title, doesn't require much thought to understand. Thematically it's rather similar to The Tree of Life. Both films are concerned with our place in the universe, but where as Malick focuses on the macrocosmic level, this film gives us the microcosmic view. And in contrast Malick's very theistic film, this seems truly pantheist (God = nature) in its outlook. As silent films go, I found this far more enjoyable than The Artist. It's really quite funny and heartbreaking in places.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hootanany wrote: »
    I now Pronouce you Chuck and Larry super film the fat lad should get more roles very underated film.
    If you like him then you should check out Paul Blart: Mall Cop, which I think is underrated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement