Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I caught most of Black Narcissus the other evening on film four, was impressed with it, I know its a classic but its a beautiful looking film with some great performances. I really liked the ending as well. It also managed to keep my 8 year old daughter interested which shows what great film it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

the cottage

the best laugh i've had in years. a comedy horror film which delivers on all fronts. a kidnapping goes wrong and things turn out not as expected. the gore is the hands on variety and jennifer ellison's filthy lines steals the show...

6/10 for the film
    the hands on gore elevates it to a 7
    and ms ellison ups the ante to

9/10

very very entertaining. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

bullvine wrote: »
    I caught most of Black Narcissus the other evening on film four, was impressed with it, I know its a classic but its a beautiful looking film with some great performances. I really liked the ending as well. It also managed to keep my 8 year old daughter interested which shows what great film it was.

All of the Powell/Pressburger collaborations are fantastic, you should check out The Red Shoes and especially the wonderful A Matter of Life And Death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

All of the Powell/Pressburger collaborations are fantastic, you should check out The Red Shoes and especially the wonderful A Matter of Life And Death.

just watched a life and death of colonel blimp :)
    took the dvd to my parents for the xmas visit to keep myself sane while they kept the main tv fixated to rte or tg4, it'd been a while since I watched it and it was every bit as fantastic as I remembred. Woke up this morning with an urge to watch it again, wonderful movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sixteen Candles: I can't remember the last time a film had me grinning from ear to ear as this one did. It's not just the famous John Hughes dialogue, there is some wonderful surrealistic visual humour in there, and you can't beat a good home-wrecking party. (Especially the aftermath. Which adolescent rocket-scientist-in-waiting thought of trying to play a pizza like it was a vinyl record?)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Watched Bronson today , thought it was kinda weird but still enjoyed it .

Think I'm getting a man crush on Tom Hardy .

Man Crush, eh? Watch Rock'n'Rolla!!:p

Awesome film BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Just watched requiem for a dream.
    All I can say is holy **** what a mind**** of a movie.incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Just finished watching The Game, fantastic movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

i was looking forward to this for ages, highly disappointing, the story is so slow, things that need explaining like character backgrounds ect are just skipped over, what is shown in the film is so predictable and drawn out.
    i must say the cast was amazing, acting was good but that couldnt save the film in my opinion, 2 hours and 7 minutes of a snorefest, i was really tempted to turn it off several times, but due to the awards and high ratings i kept plugging away,next time i know better.
    2/10 :(:(

Yeah gotta agree with that, it looked good sounded good but was a real let down. Nothing much really happened and as you said it went so slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

1. There Will Be Blood - again

Further confirmation that, for me, Daniel Day Lewis is one of the best actors to have ever lived. I'd even go so far as to say that he's the best. I don't make that statement casually.

The film in general is very good at capturing his lust for oil and the way it's shot (with the camera filter giving a red and green layer to the landscape)adds to the portrayal of the hard, unforgiving times they lived in which in itself, emphasises the harshness of the quest for oil before technology made the whole thing easier.

Very good, excellent in fact but when it comes to PTA, I'm not sure that I'll ever be more impressed by a movie of his than how I was with Magnolia.

2. Thelma and Louise

I've watched a lot of films in my time but strangely this if my first time seeing this. It was decent but could have been a half hour shorter. The soundtrack is hilariously late-80's/early 90's in the same way that Top Gun was hammed up with the 80's music.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Twilight Samurai - likable but harmless samurai movie. Admirable for being reserved and thoughtful, but largely unoriginal. I saw the director's more recent work Kabei a while ago and am taken aback at the thematic and structural similarities, especially the young daughter as narrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Stand By Me - got the 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray along with Source Code for €18 in HMV.

Always adored this film when I was younger, and it's been a long time since I've seen it.. it holds up remarkably well - but it's a story driven movie full of truly memorable characters.. how could it not?

Still an absolutely fantastic movie - amazes me at how mature the performances of the cast are considering both Feldman and Wheaton only turned 13 when the movie was being filmed, and Jerry "Vern" O'Connell was only 11. But River Phoenix's performance still is the one that sticks in my mind.

Alright, alright, Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog. What's Goofy?

The scene at the end with
    River Phoenix as Christopher Chambers walking off, waving and disappearing with Richard Dreyfus' narration is every bit as powerful now as it was watching it shortly after Phoenix's death!

On the Blu-ray, it would have been nice to get a more recent documentary than the 40 minute "Walking The Tracks" - which was filmed and issued on a DVD release about 10 years ago. It does have a newly filmed Video Commentary with Rob Reiner, Wil "Gordie Lachance / Wesley Crusher" Wheaton and Corey "Teddy Duchamp / Edgar Frog" Feldman.. haven't watched that yet but will over the weekend.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Twilight Samurai - likable but harmless samurai movie. Admirable for being reserved and thoughtful, but largely unoriginal. I saw the director's more recent work Kabei a while ago and am taken aback at the thematic and structural similarities, especially the young daughter as narrator.

Good few years since I seen that. Remember it being very good though. I thought sanada was brilliant in it and I liked how the main character wasn't a highly regarded heroic samurai like you usually get. The only other film I've seen by the director was The Hidden Blade which is also really good. Oh and you should watch Chonmage Purin, it has nothing to do with those two films other than it has a samurai in it, but I thought it was awesome and i know how you like japanese cinema :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I did like it overall. Strong protagonist, and admirable for its considered pacing. Just missing something for me though - some sort of bite to really hook the viewer. As said, the similarities to Kabei were always in the back of my head, suggesting a one trick director. Indeed, the main character arc and structure are almost identical bar a gender and era switch!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I did like it overall. Strong protagonist, and admirable for its considered pacing. Just missing something for me though - some sort bite to really hook the viewer. As said, the similarities to Kabei were always in the back of my head, suggesting a one trick director. Indeed, the main character arc and structure are almost identical bar a gender and era switch!

I do seem to remember the film more or less consisting of him quietly going about his business more or less. Although
    he kicks a little ass towards the end? Or maybe I'm confusing it with something else.
    I might give Kabei a look out of interest.

Yeah that's the one. Nothing wrong with a nothing happens sort of film. And I enjoyed that for a while. But there was a love story that more or less dominated the middle act that dragged IMO. Usual samurai themes of honour and social unbalance etc etc... It's no Hara Kiri, anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Basq wrote: »
    Stand By Me - got the 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray along with Source Code for €18 in HMV.

Always adored this film when I was younger, and it's been a long time since I've seen it.. it holds up remarkably well - but it's a story driven movie full of truly memorable characters.. how could it not?

Still an absolutely fantastic movie - amazes me at how mature the performances of the cast are considering both Feldman and Wheaton only turned 13 when the movie was being filmed, and Jerry "Vern" O'Connell was only 11. But River Phoenix's performance still is the one that sticks in my mind.

Alright, alright, Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog. What's Goofy?

The scene at the end with
    River Phoenix as Christopher Chambers walking off, waving and disappearing with Richard Dreyfus' narration is every bit as powerful now as it was watching it shortly after Phoenix's death!

On the Blu-ray, it would have been nice to get a more recent documentary than the 40 minute "Walking The Tracks" - which was filmed and issued on a DVD release about 10 years ago. It does have a newly filmed Video Commentary with Rob Reiner, Wil "Gordie Lachance / Wesley Crusher" Wheaton and Corey "Teddy Duchamp / Edgar Frog" Feldman.. haven't watched that yet but will over the weekend.

+1

Yeh, brilliant film. Never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Dark Water, the Japanese original.

Frightened the bejaysus out of me, an effective, interesting horror, with emotional depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

I watched 127 hours last night. Very glad I didn't go to this with the girlfriend!

Good film by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I watched Hesher with the young guy from Third Rock from the Sun. Thought provoking, funny and sad. Not a masterpiece but kept me entertained longer than the Tree of Life.
    Finally watched the Black Swan. Dont know what all the fuss was about.
    I watched Never Let me Go with Carey Mulligan and Kiera Knightly(in a supporting role).
    Very good tragic kind of film. One of those films I will remember. Annoyed me a bit because it could have been better. I might read the book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I watched Hesher with the young guy from Third Rock from the Sun. Thought provoking, funny and sad. Not a masterpiece but kept me entertained longer than the Tree of Life.
    I watched Never Let me Go with Carey Mulligan and Kiera Knightly(in a supporting role).
    Very good tragic kind of film. One of those films I will remember. Annoyed me a bit because it could have been better. I might read the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I watched Hesher with the young guy from Third Rock from the Sun.

Joseph Gordon Levitt is awesome, check him out in Brick, Inception, 500 Days Of Summer and 10 Things I Hate About You .

Look out for him in Christopher Nolan's new Batman this summer.

Grievous wrote: »
    Joseph Gordon Levitt is awesome, check him out in Brick, Inception, 500 Days Of Summer and 10 Things I Hate About You .

50/50 and Mysterious Skin are also worth a gawk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I hate this film. I can't fault the acting, though. Darren Aronofsky is going backwards it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Just finished watching The Game, fantastic movie.
    it is great isnt it, great director! not sure how well known it is

Grievous wrote: »
    I hate this film. I can't fault the acting, though. Darran Aronofski is going backwards it seems.
    natalie portman. so overrated tho I havent seen this yet

kraggy wrote: »
    1. There Will Be Blood - again

Further confirmation that, for me, Daniel Day Lewis is one of the best actors to have ever lived. I'd even go so far as to say that he's the best. I don't make that statement casually.

The film in general is very good at capturing his lust for oil and the way it's shot (with the camera filter giving a red and green layer to the landscape)adds to the portrayal of the hard, unforgiving times they lived in which in itself, emphasises the harshness of the quest for oil before technology made the whole thing easier.

Very good, excellent in fact but when it comes to PTA, I'm not sure that I'll ever be more impressed by a movie of his than how I was with Magnolia.

2. Thelma and Louise

I've watched a lot of films in my time but strangely this if my first time seeing this. It was decent but could have been a half hour shorter. The soundtrack is hilariously late-80's/early 90's in the same way that Top Gun was hammed up with the 80's music.
    3rd time I enjoyed it most.
    noticed his deep hatred for humanity. he worked his ass off so he could completely isolate himself from everyone else but he drove himself to insanity. he's only polite because thats good business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Kick Ass - Pretty ordinary I felt. Won't be rushing back to re-watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

The Last King Of Scotland.

Pretty good film. Shame that apparently the majority of it isn't true though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

In The Heat of The Night with Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger.

Never saw it before and really enjoyed it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement