Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Good few years since I seen that. Remember it being very good though. I thought sanada was brilliant in it and I liked how the main character wasn't a highly regarded heroic samurai like you usually get. The only other film I've seen by the director was The Hidden Blade which is also really good. Oh and you should watch Chonmage Purin, it has nothing to do with those two films other than it has a samurai in it, but I thought it was awesome and i know how you like japanese cinema :P
    Take this chat to my Samurai Movies thread guys! :pac:

I remember Hidden Blade and Twilight Samurai, I liked Hidden Blade better because of the cool sword-fighting teacher and the bit at the end when he uses the Hidden Blade, it was pretty slick.

I recently watched a few things:
    The Ides of March (not bad, a little slow)
    Warrior (Hardy, Nolte and Edgerton great performances)
    The Thing (2011 one, not bad, decent setup for the original, creature effects were oldschool-ish)
    Contagion (I thought it was fine but nothing special)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Take this chat to my Samurai Movies thread guys! :pac:

I remember Hidden Blade and Twilight Samurai, I liked Hidden Blade better because of the cool sword-fighting teacher and the bit at the end when he uses the Hidden Blade, it was pretty slick.

Why I mentioned both those movies on that very thread i'll have you know :D Not Chonmage Purin though, which I really can't recommend enough. English title is A Boy and His Samurai I think (not literal translation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Inglorious Basterds on TV last night. 8/10. I'm not a fan of Quentin Tarantino but it was quite compulsive viewing and the action unpredictable which is quite refreshing . A very satisfactory ending but I wouldn't be bothered watching again - I think.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

I think Tarantino is over-rated too, though he has had his moments (Pulp Fiction was a real career highpoint). There was a lot to admire in Inglorious Basterds, particularly the performances of Waltz, Fassbender and Diane Kruger, who were all really excellent.
    Unfortunately the ridiculously hammy acting from Brad Pitt lets the side down. As the film progressed, I found myself hoping he would appear in as few scenes as possible. Almost every scene without him was really enjoyable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Crazy, Stupid, Love- really enjoyed this, very witty script and turns a few movie romcom cliches on their head. Steve Carrell is always watchable but Ryan Gosling steals the show, has some cracking one liners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

krudler wrote: »
    Crazy, Stupid, Love- really enjoyed this, very witty script and turns a few movie romcom cliches on their head. Steve Carrell is always watchable but Ryan Gosling steals the show, has some cracking one liners.
    Yep.. really enjoyed it too actually!

Gosling was great..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »

They did a great job of
    concealing the "twist". A better job than a lot of more labrynthine thriller type films that rely on twists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

'Troll hunter' - Fairly standard, enjoyable 'found footage monster movie'. The effects were very good, acting, cinematography, sound effects were all good too, topped off with some stunning scenery.

Also 'Horrible bosses' - good but not as good as I expected, saved by Jennifer anniston's dialogue & a few set pieces.

Jason bateman would be a favourite comedy actor but under used in this. Jamie Foxx was good but Spacey basically reminded me of Buddy in 'swimming with sharks', Farrell had a combover and not much else to add imo. Some other hardly worth mentioning cameos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Watched Escape From Alcatraz last night,really enjoyed it.

Catching up on my classic films courtesy of Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Two Guys and A Girl - Can't help but enjoy Robert Downey Jr's performance. Both beautifully witty and painfully tragic. He steals the show in an otherwise average show. 7/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Kill List.Hitman thriller turned horror, weirdest film I've seen in a while give it ***/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Goon - 7/10. Enjoyed this a lot, quite a feel good film with a few laugh out loud moment's.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

HUSH

at least THE COTTAGE was a comedy. this one plays po faced straight. it's so full of cliche and tedium for it's short running time i nearly pressed the FF button...

2/10

THE HUNTING PARTY

for cleansing the soon forgotten memory of the former i watched this excellent early 70s western with gene hackman, ollie reed and the too butch to be cute candice bergan. bloody, vicious and brilliant...

9/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Streets of Fire: Wow, talk about a blast from the past, just saw this in on Netflix and I'd say I haven't even thought of this movie in about 20 years, I remember borrowing it from a friend on tape. :p

Anyway, it's shít. Give it a watch though it you think you'd like Grease with guns and a Ry Cooder soundtrack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Streets of Fire: Wow, talk about a blast from the past, just saw this in on Netflix and I'd say I haven't even thought of this movie in about 20 years, I remember borrowing it from a friend on tape. :p

Anyway, it's shít. Give it a watch though it you think you'd like Grease with guns and a Ry Cooder soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Friday the 13th (2009)
    It does adhere to the slasher formula with the sexy teens, one-shot-deaths and unstoppable killer with super-everything (speed, hearing, strength, ability to live). Was intrigued at the super long cold open before the credits, 23 minutes! It was like a condensed slasher flick. My bro made the great point that the pre-credit kills were a bit more realistic/drawn out, the people take time to die/take more than one shot...

Anyway, poor film, nothing redeeming unless you love slasher films. Douchebag teens get axed. I'm shocked there isn't a sequel to this out as it made over $90million at the box office, the best of any Jason-only Friday the 13th... Avoid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

war horse

acting was terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

War Horse

Nicely shot and directed

But I disliked it and I'm a sucker for a soppy movie
    After all the hype it was a disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Sense and Sensibility - 2008 BBC - Excellent. I loved it. way better than the film with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson. great cast, lovely settings and just really enjoyable.

The Artist - very different, wasnt sure what to think going to see this but I have to say I found this film a breath of freash air. It was refreshing to go see a film in the cinema without 3D glasses, loud explosions and half naked dolly birds.

MI3 - this is by far my fav MI film, perhaps down to JJ Abrams directing, the intro of Simon Pegg and of course, Phillip Seymore Hoffman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Johnny Was (2006) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426501/ on TV last night. Another Vinnie Jones classic - if you enjoyed "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels", "Layer Cake" or "Snatch" you'll enjoy this black comedy! 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Late spring - old Japanese movie where the camera was placed on the floor. A middle-aged woman leaves her father to get married. Slow but impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Drive Angry - Cracking OTT action movie with a glorious turn from Fichtner as "The Accountant". Catchy guitar riff as the theme tune too. Does kind of lose its way by the very end as there are some blatant plotholes, but for the most part it's a very entertaining trashy flick 4/5

The Artist - Charming performance from the lead, really made you feel for the character's plight. Far more humourous than I thought beforehand, and emotional too. A really great film that I hope more folk will get to see in the cinema (our screening had 12 ppl in it, besides ourselves all were 50+).

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

The Ides of March: Very disappointed in this - it had the potential for greatness. A wonderful cast (Giamatti, Hoffman, Clooney, Godling) struggle throughout with lacklustre dialogue, several rather tired dramatic elements, and what ultimately boils down to a poorly written screenplay.

Clooney does a decent job behind the camera but can never quite make me care enough for any of these horrible characters on display; perhaps if Gosling (or Clooney...or Hoffman...or any of the characters) felt a bit more three-dimensional this could have been great. Sadly, it wasn't to be and appropriately the movie ends on a rather monotonous, tedious note - failing to deliver message, moral, or any sense of meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

For €10 from Amazon got box set of old b/w films from 1930s-early 50s-classic mystery stuff-great for that dreary winter afternoon by a roaring fire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

D.O.A. and Detour, nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

livEwirE wrote: »
    War Horse: Saw this one last night, the OH and I really enjoyed it. Bit of a slow burner at the start but stick with it. There is some good acting and great action scenes of course! It also features one of the acting best scenes I've seen in a long time featuring a german+british soldier talking in no-man's land - fantastic stuff! Recommended. Would probably give it 8.5/10.
    good story,over 2 hours and nice photography,some et moments,recommend you watch this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

centurion again well worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

barone wrote: »
    tyrannasour

what a film

thanks for that recommendation.
    its an incredible movie.best actor best actress and best director for that movie without a doubt.all brilliant and highly recommended.
    jesus the woman in it is a fantastic actress.olivia colman i think her name is, she was in peep show. amazing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The Artist - Charming performance from the lead, really made you feel for the character's plight. Far more humourous than I thought beforehand, and emotional too. A really great film that I hope more folk will get to see in the cinema (our screening had 12 ppl in it, besides ourselves all were 50+).

Saw it last night and thought it was fantastic. But our showing was about 90% full and a good mixture of all ages. I was impressed with the interest shown in it and the vibe was that everybody loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Battle Royale

Watched this the other night on Netflix. Maybe I hyped it up too much in my mind but it was only.. OK.

Stylish.. yes!
    Inventive.. yes!

But left feeling satisfied? Not particularly.

Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement