Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Seanohea

I watched a preview of John Carter last Thursday, good film although, but with not knowing what to expect, it was a bit out there. But would definetley recommend it and funnier than I thought it would be.
    I have a feeling it won't appeal to certain critics at all, and could be an either like it or love it film. Some of the acting is a bit wooden but the lead actor is very good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Star Wars: Episode IV - My first time watching a Star Wars film (I know) and I have to say I enjoyed it. Wasn't blown away by it (perhaps it gets better once the whole trilogy is watched or maybe the special effects aren't as mind blowing now as they were when released) but it's got everything you want for a real fun adventure/sci-fi movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

kraggy wrote: »
    In your opinion, it will be a classic. In my opinion it will be forgotten. Besides an absolutely ridiculous ending, the "humour" is often forced. Nothing worse than forced "humour"".

Granted, there are moments of suspense that are engaging, but overall the film was taken down a few notches by other annoying aspects.

And again, that ending. Jesus.

Get out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

"Warrior"

really surprised me! didn't think it'd be good at all, but very entertaining stuff!

Tom Hardy certainly seems the man of the hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Secret Life of Words

Excellent film about a Balkan refugee (Sarah Polley) who travels to an oil rig off the coast of Ireland to take care of a burn victim (Tim Robbins) injured in a recent accident. Robbins is good as always, but Polley is absolutely captivating. Reminded me quite a bit of Breaking the Waves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Watched all 4 Indiana Jones movies recently on a whim when I realized I was mixing up some plot points between the first two in the series when talking about them. I realized it had been well over a decade since I'd last watched them.

Didn't really care for the 4th when I watched it in the cinema but didn't mind it now that I was watching it hot on the heels of "The Last Crusade". When watched like an homage to the trilogy it's actually pretty good, although obviously the weakest of the entire quadrilogy. Ford has just lost his verve, and Labeouf is a poor substitute.

After that I was on a bit of a Harrison Ford kick and watched "The Mosquito Coast", "Patriot Games" then "Clear and Present Danger".

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

Directorial debut (AFAIK) for Zach Braff who wrote it also.
    Characters:-likeable but under developed
    Dialogue:- Woeful
    "DEFINING" heart to heart with the father (shiver, eye twitches)
    Plot:-
    Zachs character returns to his small town home after 9 years for mothers funeral, meets old friends, rides an old motorbike with sidecar, falls in love with Natilie Portman like ya do, more awful dialogue ensues
    verdict:- Meh,,,,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Robotnic wrote: »
    Directorial debut (AFAIK) for Zach Braff who wrote it also.
    Characters:-likeable but under developed
    Dialogue:- Woeful
    "DEFINING" heart to heart with the father (shiver, eye twitches)
    Plot:-
    Zachs character returns to his small town home after 9 years for mothers funeral, meets old friends, rides an old motorbike with sidecar, falls in love with Natilie Portman like ya do, more awful dialogue ensues
    verdict:- Meh,,,,,,,,,,,

I like watching Garden State for the music. Its has a fantastic soundtrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Artist:

When a film seems to be getting rave reviews from every side, I usually go into the film with huge expectations and a few times I'd come out of it with a sense of disappointment because my expecations weren't matched.

'The Artist' is a massive exception. Absolutely wonderful film and can't recommend it enough. I don't think I've been part of a cinematic experience where the audiennce was so silent and engrossed in a film throughout.

Genuinely funny and sad in places. One of the best times I've ever had going to the cinema.

Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

That_Guy wrote: »
    The Artist:

When a film seems to be getting rave reviews from every side, I usually go into the film with huge expectations and a few times I'd come out of it with a sense of disappointment because my expecations weren't matched.

'The Artist' is a massive exception. Absolutely wonderful film and can't recommend it enough. I don't think I've been part of a cinematic experience where the audiennce was so silent and engrossed in a film throughout.

Genuinely funny and sad in places. One of the best times I've ever had going to the cinema.

Highly recommend it.

Thought it was horrendous to be honest
    Only redeeming feature was the dog which says it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Immortals:

not a great movie overall but I was watching it for the fight scenes tbh

Some of the scenes - especially with Thor & Poseodin coming down from above were quite cool, overall not a bad ending either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

PaulieC wrote: »
    Immortals:
    Some of the scenes - especially with Thor & Poseodin coming down from above were quite cool, overall not a bad ending either

Does Not Compute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

PaulieC wrote: »
    Immortals:
    Otacon wrote: »
    Does Not Compute!

Now there's an Avengers movie I'd go see. Ok, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Nighthawks - British film from the 1970s about a gay schoolteacher. Low-budget but good movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Drive

First of all, let me iterate that I am not a fan of this film. I am however a fan of the intro, parts of the cinematography and the soundtrack. I am not a fan of the two dimensional characters, the lack of chemistry between Gosling and Mulligan, the woeful plot, the caricature like villains, I'm sorry but did Ron Perlman make a wrong turn on his way to The Planet of The Apes audition and end up here? Couldn't take him serious, looks like Will Ferrell during a full moon. Bryan Cranston not utilised considering his fantastic scope of acting ability.

Don't get me started on Gosling, he looked like a child molester with Asperger's. They tried to make him look like this mysterious character who only speaks when absolutely necessary, if that's the case then you need what he says to make an impact, it didn't.

Overall I thought the movie had huge potential but didn't quite get there. I'd like to think that I am not the usual cinema goer, action flicks don't engage me, I like a film to grab me from start to finish and make me feel something, Drive didn't do that. At the end I didn't care if he lived or died, didn't care if he got the girl or not, in Fracture I loved Gosling, in The Notebook I loved him, unfortunately in Drive I didn't.

This is my opinion of the film, I know many of you enjoyed it, and I'm glad you did as that is what it's all about, everybody gets something different from a film.

5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

On Netflix:
    Seeing as the selection is a bit sparse on well known recent films, thought it was a good opportunity to check out some indies and ford'n films:

"Missing"...in the Korean films section - rated 18. Watch if you liked Wolf Creek. Imdb rating 6.4/10

"Habit"... a slow-burning film set in the dingy-appartment-dwelling lives of some NYC twenty-somethings, with a vampire motif. Not your usual vampire flick. Written, directed by and starring Larry Fessenden. Imdb rating 6.3/10.

Off now to see what else I can discover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

NEDS Loved it, would probably like it more if i could understand the ending, anybody care to explain it to me please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Drive [At Last]

I checked this out after seeing it on a lot of peoples movie of the year list on here - it wouldn't normally be my cup of tea but I can definitely see the appeal. The acting is strong across the board, but the real star of this movie for me is the script/editing - I've never seen a movie with such pitch-perfect pacing.

After 30 minutes I thought I was watching an 80's throwback that had tapped into the current nostalgia buzz, then this movie went a little bonkers. Gosling really delivers a star performance, which is the heart of the movie - he really had to be pitch-perfect to keep it feeling (relatively) real!

The music throughout is very moody and atmospheric (and theres a really enjoyable 80's vibe throughout) - there's a number of set-pieces and long, sweeping shots of the skyline that linger long after the credits roll.

Good, enjoyable stuff. Again, not really my normal cup of tea so I wasn't left awestruck or anything, but I can see the appeal and it was worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

ELECTRIC BLUE 002

it's amazing what you find if you look...

and featuring the wonderful Marylin Chambers. this stuff was out on vhs mag form for pricey pay in the early '80s...

:D

it's all very redundant now. sadly. :(

yeah, time will crawl.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thought it was horrendous to be honest
    Only redeeming feature was the dog which says it all

Care to explain why? I respect your opinion obviously but just want to know your reasons why you thought it was so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

sillo wrote: »
    Yann Tiersen is his name - a lot of his music is great, not just the OST's....check out dust lane.
    thanks, have alot of his albums

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That_Guy wrote: »
    Care to explain why? I respect your opinion obviously but just want to know your reasons why you thought it was so bad.

Plenty of dissenting opinions, or at least rather cautious praise, here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75476260

I do think that it is actually quite a cynical exercise in crowd-pleasing despite its numerous strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Open Season (1974)

I've waited over 30 years to see this again and bought it on dvd from amazon last week. The quality of the disc is terrible, like a vhs transfer.

The film stars Peter Fonda, John Philip Law and Richard Lynch as 3 Vietnam vets who for 2 weeks every year get to go on a hunting trip. The only difference here is their prey is of the human kind. When I saw it in the 70s it was quite shocking but having watched it now it is very dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

American History X - Just caught it there on tv. Probably the best movie dealing with racism I've seen. Ed Norton stars as an intelligent young man who's driven to the extreme when hate and resentment build up inside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I'm watching Ulysses from 1967 on YouTube at the moment. I was doing alright until about half way in, but I'm beginning to struggle now ;) And no I haven't read the book and I have no intention to either.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Just Watched Retreat. Not bad. Bit predictable.
    Seen the Hurt Locker yesterday, brilliant, never a dull moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭budgemook

Dave147 wrote: »
    Drive

First of all, let me iterate that I am not a fan of this film. I am however a fan of the intro, parts of the cinematography and the soundtrack. I am not a fan of the two dimensional characters, the lack of chemistry between Gosling and Mulligan, the woeful plot, the caricature like villains, I'm sorry but did Ron Perlman make a wrong turn on his way to The Planet of The Apes audition and end up here? Couldn't take him serious, looks like Will Ferrell during a full moon. Bryan Cranston not utilised considering his fantastic scope of acting ability.

Don't get me started on Gosling, he looked like a child molester with Asperger's. They tried to make him look like this mysterious character who only speaks when absolutely necessary, if that's the case then you need what he says to make an impact, it didn't.

Overall I thought the movie had huge potential but didn't quite get there. I'd like to think that I am not the usual cinema goer, action flicks don't engage me, I like a film to grab me from start to finish and make me feel something, Drive didn't do that. At the end I didn't care if he lived or died, didn't care if he got the girl or not, in Fracture I loved Gosling, in The Notebook I loved him, unfortunately in Drive I didn't.

This is my opinion of the film, I know many of you enjoyed it, and I'm glad you did as that is what it's all about, everybody gets something different from a film.

5/10

Haha, I see your point but I really liked the film. On a bit of a Gosling buzz at the minute so might check out Fracture.

I watched Blue Valentine the other night. I enjoyed it at the time of watching it but since I've read that's it's almost entirely improv I think it's amazing. Amazing performances from Gosling and Michelle Williams! Just a run of the mill boy meets girl story really but done extremely well.

The Ides of March. Thought this was pretty average. Nothing new really. Very good acting but you'd expect that from such a strong cast.
    It shows a guy going from idealistic to ruthless. So what? Also, the name doesnn't work for me. I assume it's a reference to Brutus betraying Ceaser but IMO Ryan Goslings character didn't betray anyone. He gave them their just desserts. Also he didn't assassinate anybody (in the literal or metaphorical sense), he just made sure he had a job at the expense of the guy who fired him. Maybe I just missed the point of Julias Ceaser

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Moneyball, bloody good.
    Brad Pitt puts is a good turn here as the general manager of the Oakland Athletics baseball team.
    I wasn't mad up for this cause of the baseball thing but that proved not to matter.
    A couple of gripes, Pitt needs to stop eating, spitting & gurning in scenes, it's like he suffers from OCD or something.
    Don't put Philip Seamour Hoffman in a film then not use him, he just spent the whole film looking disappointed.

Overall, 8/10.

Otacon wrote: »
    Does Not Compute!
    What with the what now :confused:

• Advertisement

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Moneyball, bloody good.
    Brad Pitt puts is a good turn here as the general manager of the Oakland Athletics baseball team.
    I wasn't mad up for this cause of the baseball thing but that proved not to matter.
    A couple of gripes, Pitt needs to stop eating, spitting & gurning in scenes, it's like he suffers from OCD or something.
    Don't put Philip Seamour Hoffman in a film then not use him, he just spent the whole film looking disappointed.

Overall, 8/10.
    Loved this also - about Pitt though - you realise he's playing a character - perhaps that's what Billy Bean is like??

Loved the music for it - Explosions in the sky put to Sports movies or TV shows like Friday Night Lights is always good imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement