Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

Good characters, story line was interesting as I knew nothing about the film beforehand, it sorta took an unexpected direction.
    Brad gettin hit by two cars five minutes in was a surprise
    IMO worth a watch but looking back I'm not sure how it took 2.5hrs, altho thats probably a good sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Inbetweeners Movie:

It's funny in parts but it's really nothing to write home about. I'm a fan of the Inbetweeners and in my opinion the film doesn't do the TV series justice at all.

It's worth a watch but I was a bit let down by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭p to the e

I can't believe it's only January and I think I've already seen the worst movie of the year. The Darkest Hour is quite possibly one the most frustratingly bad films I've ever seen. The budget was in around the 30-40 million mark yet it was made a complete shambles of. The dialogue is clunky and the acting, even by the sometimes good, Emile Hirsch, was awful. And that's even before the Russians arrive.

p to the e wrote: »
    I can't believe it's only January and I think I've already seen the worst movie of the year. The Darkest Hour is quite possibly one the most frustratingly bad films I've ever seen. The budget was in around the 30-40 million mark yet it was made a complete shambles of. The dialogue is clunky and the acting, even by the sometimes good, Emile Hirsch, was awful. And that's even before the Russians arrive.

I was listening to Kermode and Mayo's film review on Friday evening after work and they played a clip of this film.

Cue a load of screaming and noise for 30 minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Posted this on another thread;

Found these two on Netflix that I could recommend.

:14 2005
    Good movie from start to finish.
    Its about a group of people and how their lives are linked in a crazy set of circumstances, That occurs at 11:14 pm.

United states of Leland 2003
    Not a bad film, Worth a watch.
    About a quiet lad that commits a brutal murder of a disabled kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

budgemook wrote: »
    Haha, I see your point but I really liked the film. On a bit of a Gosling buzz at the minute so might check out Fracture.

I watched Blue Valentine the other night. I enjoyed it at the time of watching it but since I've read that's it's almost entirely improv I think it's amazing. Amazing performances from Gosling and Michelle Williams! Just a run of the mill boy meets girl story really but done extremely well.

The Ides of March. Thought this was pretty average. Nothing new really. Very good acting but you'd expect that from such a strong cast.
    It shows a guy going from idealistic to ruthless. So what? Also, the name doesnn't work for me. I assume it's a reference to Brutus betraying Ceaser but IMO Ryan Goslings character didn't betray anyone. He gave them their just desserts. Also he didn't assassinate anybody (in the literal or metaphorical sense), he just made sure he had a job at the expense of the guy who fired him. Maybe I just missed the point of Julias Ceaser

He's excellent in Crazy, Stupid Love as well, very funny lines between him and Steve Carrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

sillo wrote: »
    Drive [At Last]

I checked this out after seeing it on a lot of peoples movie of the year list on here - it wouldn't normally be my cup of tea but I can definitely see the appeal. The acting is strong across the board, but the real star of this movie for me is the script/editing - I've never seen a movie with such pitch-perfect pacing.

After 30 minutes I thought I was watching an 80's throwback that had tapped into the current nostalgia buzz, then this movie went a little bonkers. Gosling really delivers a star performance, which is the heart of the movie - he really had to be pitch-perfect to keep it feeling (relatively) real!

The music throughout is very moody and atmospheric (and theres a really enjoyable 80's vibe throughout) - there's a number of set-pieces and long, sweeping shots of the skyline that linger long after the credits roll.

Good, enjoyable stuff. Again, not really my normal cup of tea so I wasn't left awestruck or anything, but I can see the appeal and it was worth a watch.

You thought the script was strong???? Did we see the same film? The script was absolutely awful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

krudler wrote: »
    He's excellent in Crazy, Stupid Love as well, very funny lines between him and Steve Carrell.

I wont watch the clip now, I tried to avoid seeing bits of movies, especially when I already have no clue what it's about, before I see them.

Will watch it this weekend though and report back :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

budgemook wrote: »
    I wont watch the clip now, I tried to avoid seeing bits of movies, especially when I already have no clue what it's about, before I see them.

Will watch it this weekend though and report back :)

check out 'Lars and the Real Girl' and 'Half Nelson'. Great movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was tired and suffering from chronic low attention span last night, so threw on Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Threader. Fascinating to see a blockbuster so completely devoid of pace or narrative spine. Really comes across like a series of barely connected setpieces (some of which are admittedly visually impressive). Strong performances from the kids, mostly, but otherwise a film that is bizarrely devoid of life or energy. A shame, considering I (perhaps alone) quite enjoyed Prince Caspian.

Also, serious lulz at the profoundly unsubtle Christian message shoved in at the end. C.S. Lewis so crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, it's the weakest by far. Was seriously non-plussed by it as well and I enjoyed the first two.

It's a problem with the Narnia books in general. Lewis shot his bolt with 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'. The rest in the series just don't have the same umph.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy:

Sat down to watch this last night. I had no idea what the film was about before watching it but I knew it had gotten a good few plaudits from many reputable publications/websites.

I was a little underwhelmed by it. It was a bit of a slow burner but gradually got better in the middle but like a bottle of Coca Cola that has been opened too long, it seemed to go a little bit flat towards the end.

Thought Gary Oldman was quite decent in it but for me that was it's real saving grace.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy:

Sat down to watch this last night. I had no idea what the film was about before watching it but I knew it had gotten a good few plaudits from many reputable publications/websites.

I was a little underwhelmed by it. It was a bit of a slow burner but gradually got better in the middle but like a bottle of Coca Cola that has been opened too long, it seemed to go a little bit flat towards the end.

Thought Gary Oldman was quite decent in it but for me that was it's real saving grace.

Agreed, the ultimate slow burner, but if ya go for all that authentic look of 60/70s not so glamorous world of cold war espionage it is enjoyable, just don't expect heart racing action!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    check out 'Lars and the Real Girl' and 'Half Nelson'. Great movies.

Ah yeah, saw both of those films when they came out on DVD. Never knew the name of the actor at the time but when I wikipedia'd (verb?) his name after Drive I knew him straight away.

Half Nelson I really enjoyed and Lars and the real girl is alright. Decent enough. Been a while mind.

Robotnic wrote: »
    Agreed, the ultimate slow burner, but if ya go for all that authentic look of 60/70s not so glamorous world of cold war espionage it is enjoyable, just don't expect heart racing action!

I agree, it looks great. I guess I had high expectations going into it because of the rave reviews it had gotten. It's not a bad film, I just fail to see what's so amazing about it.

Different strokes I guess.

Polar opposite to the above spy film, fast, big and loud, almost seems a stretch to include them in same genre. good all the same
    They've obviously decided to go tongue in cheek and left serious stuff to bourne and the new James bonds I suppose, when ya accept that, the comic relief was good, provided mainly by Simon Peggs "Johnny English" moments. The last 10 mins were b^%$£x tho, blatant set up for next film and the whole protecting his wife by staying 100 metres from her maybe I've misread it and its a clause of a restraining order!

Was tired and suffering from chronic low attention span last night, so threw on Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Threader. Fascinating to see a blockbuster so completely devoid of pace or narrative spine. Really comes across like a series of barely connected setpieces (some of which are admittedly visually impressive). Strong performances from the kids, mostly, but otherwise a film that is bizarrely devoid of life or energy. A shame, considering I (perhaps alone) quite enjoyed Prince Caspian.

Also, serious lulz at the profoundly unsubtle Christian message shoved in at the end. C.S. Lewis so crazy.

I hated the first movie, one of the most soulless blockbusters ever, its just so lifeless, Tilda Swinton was good alright but gah, I dunno never liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Watched The Prestige last night. Never came across it before. Great story. Great cast. Will def watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

I've watched Dumb and Dumber every week on comedy central for the past 6 weeks. Never thought i'd say this but... they really need to stop showing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watched The Prestige last night. Never came across it before. Great story. Great cast. Will def watch again.
    Quite possible my favourite film of all time and it gets better with multiple viewings. Makes me wanna watch it all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Many would argue it's Nolan's finest.
    The ultimate 2nd time watching reward film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I've held off watching this a second time but I think it's due. Haven't seen it in over 3 years.

I tried watching Inception about 3 months after being blown away by it and I just couldn't get into it. In fact I think it ruined it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Saw the english adaptation of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on Tuesday night. It was brilliant. Brutal in places but brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Odd couple - no classic. So dated it has a bowling ball thrown at the pins and then it cuts to a pool table!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Watched Inception for the first time recently.
    Simply could not understand it at all.
    Even watched it a second time which makes it worse.
    Just dont see what all the hype is about.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Same as me so....fell asleep watching it....its something to do with dreams i think and i was dreaming watching it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Trust: Ah, it could have been so much more; Schwimmers second effort behind the camera is a pretty harrowing display of a teenage girl whose life is simply obliterated when she runs afoul of a sexual predator (Chris Coffey in a brief but memorable performance).

There's very little this movie actually does wrong. Liberato is unbelievably good as the lead, and Owen & Kenner put in a strong performance as her parents; but where this movie falls down is the sheer abundance of wailing and emotional breakdowns. None of it really seems to go anywhere, and while the script dwells in some interesting grey areas (Owen's revenge-fantasies are interesting), it feels like a movie that started out with lots of ideas and ended up not really doing any of them very well.

Passing references are made to Owen's position in a marketing campaign that sexualises adolescents - but it just comes off as feeling crass and charicatured, and doesn't really go anywhere. We see hints at the mother being somewhat neurotic but it's never explained. The brother character seems to serve no real purpose. There's just too many loose threads for me, and while I saw the angle they were going for with the ending, it left me feeling cold.

Must try harder. 3/5.

Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Anderson brings his unmistakable style (and the usual accomplished cast and soundtrack) to the childrens arena in this adaptation of the notorious children's classic. There's something for everyone here as Anderson executes as stylishly in stop-motion as his acclaimed live-action productions; plenty of laughs for young and old alike.

This delivers exactly what it promises: an enjoyable, deceptively simple tale I recommend for everyone. 4/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Nolanger wrote: »
    Odd couple - no classic. So dated it has a bowling ball thrown at the pins and then it cuts to a pool table!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The Ringer (2005)

Rewatched it recently. Funny movie :) Well worth a watch if anyone hasnt seen it. Im not saying its one of the greatest comedies ever made. But it'll make you laugh :)

• Advertisement

Patsy fyre wrote: »

But its got so much explanatory dialogue, they basically tell you everything thats going to happen before it happens, its the only reason Ellen Paiges character exists in it is someone to explain to her/the audience just whats going on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement