Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

darirl wrote: »
    I just saw it tonight....and what a shockingly bad movie it is. Granted the fight scenes were good but that was it even from the first scene you will notice just how bad the script is.

I do have two parts of the movie which stood out for me..not spoilers by the way..

1) When she wears full camouflage makeup ...while hiding in the bathroom :)
    2) The scene with her and Douglas in the hanger. The tumbleweed in the background goes across the whole screen from left to right, from out in the open to behind and under the jet, classic :)

I still genuinely cant believe Steven Soderberg made it, this is the same guy who made Out Of Sight, one of my favourite movies, there isnt another one in Hollywood is there, like how there's two Paul Andersons?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    I still genuinely cant believe Steven Soderberg made it, this is the same guy who made Out Of Sight, one of my favourite movies, there isnt another one in Hollywood is there, like how there's two Paul Andersons?

If there is they knew what they were at by tricking the a-list cast into starring in that movie!

Watched a couple of films today,

Happythankyoumoreplease: Written by, directed and starring Josh Radnor of How I Met Your Mother Fame. Funnily enough its not a world away from the last film written by, directed and starring the main actor from a popular sitcom, Garden State, though its not near as good as that movie. This centres around a bunch of late 20's/early 30's arty new yorkers trying to figure out what to do with their lives and relationships. Radnor plays a writer who pretty much kidnaps a kid. Its thoroughly unrealistic harmless fluff and I enjoyed it for what it was, it won't win any prizes for originality but the likeable cast make it watchable with a bald Malin Akerman being particularly good and Kate Mara(Rooney's sis) is gorgeous. Its a harmless, sweet, feel good type film with a nice soundtrack that I would recommend if you just want something forgettable to watch.

Snowtown: Heard a bit about this on here. In hindsight I probably should have watched this before the above, oh well :D It tells the story of the Snowtown Murders that occured near Adelaide, SA in the 1990's. Its a powerful film with two exceptionally strong performances at its centre. Its not overly violent or anything but is still quite hard to watch in places. Bunting is portrayed as one nasty piece of work. Its kind of hard to follow in some respects and I think it would be best watched with a passing knowledge of the real events, I had to go reading up on wiki afterwards to get my head around some of it. It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Tyrannosaur - A heart warming tale for the family :)

Not really, an incredibly and almost exhaustingly grim movie with fantastic performances from it's two leads.

While I like stories to have ambiguity to them I did find this was a bit lacking in some areas, i.e.
    What sentence did Olivia get? Why was Mullen's character so filled with rage? A bit more clarity on his personality and his ambition to change would have benefited, I thought. He really did own every scene he was in.

A fine debut from Considine though you might need a comedy afterwards to flush the misery out of yourself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fish Tank

Thought it was excellent, held my interest throughout

I was sure
    the little girl would die when she fell into the Thames
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Captain Alatriste - The Spanish Musketeer
    Viggo Mortensen stars as Captain Alatriste, the Spanish Musketeer, in this tale of war, betrayal and intrigue in seventeenth-century Imperial Spain under the reign of the weak and easily manipulated King Felipe IV. Alatriste has returned to Spain to find it a very different place and life is not what it once was. As a last wish to a dying friend he agrees to take charge of the young Inigo Balboa (Unax Ugalde) and protect him from both a military career and the Machiavellian woman whom he desperately loves. Witness the adventures of Captain Alatriste as he endures great love and hatred intertwined with momentous battles and duels set in the epic backdrop of the sprawling Spanish Empire.

Overall worth a watch,but found the story to be a bit confusing in parts. Some good fight scenes.........the final battle could have done with some CGI or a lot more extras.

The Wrestler
    Top notch IMO , Mickey Rourke is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Puss In Boots:

Brought my 5 and 8 year old cousins to see this. While they loved it, I bloody hated every minute. I quite liked the first two Shrek movies but this spin off was very disappointing. Not particularly funny either.

Antonio Banderas is a fantastic voice actor and that's about the only decent thing in the film despite the awful script.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

saw the kill list,decent film that gets very weird at times.its very like the wickerman and it does have a fantastic ending.i would say its a bit too ambiguous for its own good and anyone who is squeamish should give it a miss.there was one scene that involved a hammer, that i had to look away.

one other thing about it is i had to use the subtitles on the film,might be just me but i found very hard to hear what the characters were saying at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Went with the kids to see Hugo today. I liked it - much slower than I thought it would be. I especially liked Sasha Baron Cohen's character. A lot of it was contrived, but I believe deliberately so. Given the storyline, a homage to the birth of cinema, I was surprised the girls (11 & 9) enjoyed it, but they really did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Escape to Victory which is probably the archetypal ITV4 movie - Caine, Stallone, WW2 and frankly nonsense, but what nonsense! Like The Italian Job its a film that seems to get better with age and its daftness is to be embraced rather than disowned. Great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

127 hours in ch4

remarkable story but the film was just ok IMO , im not a fan of james franco as an actor so perhaps im biased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

THE KILLER INSIDE ME

Tedious, uninvolving and I suppose I should've caught
    the original in The Astor many moons ago...

one of the only films i've actually turned off midway through.

It even puts rubbish like HUSH to shame.

DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING

A little gem from Fulci which I only caught up on
    from a dynamic rewiew elesewhere? Not really.

Another film I've on me external HD which i've been meaning to catch
    up on time permitting.

It was worth the wait.

9/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched this last night on netflix! Thought it was really good, definitley closer to Election than it is to About Schmidt or Sideways in that its a straight up satire rather than a meloncholy character study. Great performance from Laura Dern and some good support from the rest of the cast playing a bunch of nutjobs. Liked how the film never took sides on the issues at hand portraying pro life and pro choicers as equally crazy. Solid film with plenty of laughs to be had too.

... and just watched this too (paying it forward, like that **** film)! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like my comedy as black and as scathing as possible, and this didn't disappoint. Definitely very similar to Election in tone and delivery. Really well-considered satire on the whole anti/pro-choice nonsense over in the States, and the manipulative nature of 'pressure groups' religious or otherwise. The inspired visit to the 'pro-life clinic' was a highlight of the comic setpieces.

What I particularly enjoyed was the almost complete lack of a character arc in Dern's character. Having her so strongly written and set in her substance abusing ways gave Payne great scope to place her in increasingly absurd situations. Stuff just happens to her. One of the first rules of basic screenwriting is to put the character through a 'transformation' of sorts, so it's refreshing to see a filmmaker so playfully and knowingly break that rule. The distinct lack of change in the protagonist is what makes this so much fun.

Ian Glen is my new favourite actor, he's incredible

Watched Mountains on the Moon
    To do with British explorers in Africa searching for the source of the Nile. Patrick Bergin in it also, Irish accent there alright
    Good film

Song for a Raggy Boy
    Only saw this now though it's years old
    Very good film, some great performances

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ian Glen is my new favourite actor, he's incredible

Watched Mountains on the Moon
    To do with British explorers in Africa searching for the source of the Nile. Patrick Bergin in it also, Irish accent there alright
    Good film

Song for a Raggy Boy
    Only saw this now though it's years old
    Very good film, some great performances

Iain Glen was amazing in Song for a Raggy boy alright

• Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fish Tank

Thought it was excellent, held my interest throughout

I was sure
    the little girl would die when she fell into the Thames
    :(
    Fassbender?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What I particularly enjoyed was the almost complete lack of a character arc in Dern's character. Having her so strongly written and set in her substance abusing ways gave Payne great scope to place her in increasingly absurd situations. Stuff just happens to her. One of the first rules of basic screenwriting is to put the character through a 'transformation' of sorts, so it's refreshing to see a filmmaker so playfully and knowingly break that rule. The distinct lack of change in the protagonist is what makes this so much fun.

Yea I got a great kick out of that too. I loved
    how all she wanted even at the end was just to **** off with the money and get high.
    I thought the lack of character arch also showed pretty well that neither group was actually bothered about really helping her at all.

Fassbender?

Yes Fassbender is in Fish Tank alright

The spoiler was about something else in the film

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

Whopper, hadn't read the books or seen the original but thought it was excellent.
    didn't know if the series of books were continuations of same storyline so was really worried that I'd have to wait till next film for some answers!
    For investigative crime fans it was a dream. Craig and Mara are awesome in it. Some fairly graphic scenes that are uncomfortable viewing.
    Overall very impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Okay, I give up but what the hell are spoilers and what is the point of them in posts? To me, old fart that I am, they are really annoying and I usually ignore posts containing them. :D

We can discuss anything but if there's serious plot info you just use the spoiler

If you know the film or you don't care about finding out something before you've seen it then you can just read the spoiler.

Up to you :)

Don't know why you find them annoying

• Advertisement

How do you read the spoiler? :confused:

Click your mouse and scroll over it

Click your mouse and scroll over it

Thanks - we learn something new every day - I'm only on Boards since 2008! I'll learn how to multi quote next but I find that even more annoying. Thanks again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

PHILOSPHY OF A KNIFE...

now there's a moving motion picture
    that puts rubbish like MEN BEHIND THE SUN
    in the can...

:rolleyes:

Joking! Garbage. It's obviously a freak show for
    THE MONDO BRIGADE...

kiddies who get off on pain and suffering.

:mad:

Jump you little devils...jump...

;)

PHILOSPHY OF A KNIFE...

now there's a moving motion picture
    that puts rubbish like MEN BEHIND THE SUN
    in the can...

:rolleyes:

Joking! Garbage. It's obviously a freak show for
    THE MONDO BRIGADE...

kiddies who get off on pain and suffering.

:mad:

Jump you little devils...jump...

;)

Wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Blue gardenia - creaky crime movie about a woman who accidentally kills a date. Nat King Cole appear singing a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I gave Melancholia a spin, since my better half said it was the most miserable piece of cinema in the medium's history. It wasn't far off, wonderful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Watched Carpenter's The Thing for the first time (I know, I know). Quite a clever spin on an over-familiar horror formula. It's not quite on the level of, say, Alien but it does probably have the most brilliantly gory creature design I've seen. And the testing the blood sequence is a masterclass in tension.

You lucky Basterd. I'd love to watch it for the 1st time again. And Jesus man, dont watch the prequel....just fcukin dont, you'll cry.:p

Watched War Horse at the weekend. A nice soppy(feckin lump in the throat time) feel good family film. Some really breathtaking cinematography especially the Somme (I think). Didn't care too much for the acting but the horses were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I gave Melancholia a spin, since my better half said it was the most miserable piece of cinema in the medium's history. It wasn't far off, wonderful stuff.

You should have countered with 'LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF TOPLESS KIRSTEN DUNST'
    then set up on the couch for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I watched Woody Allens Love and Death recently. Very very funny at times, although a bit off the wall! Decent enough fare for relaxing on a Saturday evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement