Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Swingers: A film I've always wanted to see but only got around to at the weekend, terrible I know. Thought it was pretty funny, the dialogue is what makes it really. Vince Vaughn and John Favreau give likeable performances, particularly Vaughn who just steals the show really. Ron Livingston was fine in it too, although he pretty much plays Ron Livingston again. Worth watching for Vaughn and the dialogue alone.

We Need to Talk About Kevin: A bit torn about this. Swinton was brilliant oviously but I wanted to know more about Kevin dammit. I was left wanting more at the end, basically the film needs to talk about kevin more :pac: I also found it a bit naff
    that he used a bow and arrow for the massacre, surely someone would have overpowered him before he could have donetoo much damage. Also I didn't really buy that he could be that evil from an early age with a vendetta against the mother before he could(or chose to) talk, I'm well aware kids can be manipulative but seriously here he came off as literally a kid with the body of a fully grown emotionless psychopath
    . Still despite that I found a very tense and involving film. As much a horror film as it is a drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Haywire:

Wasn't really blown away by this at all. The story was fairly dreadful but the action scenes weren't too bad at all though, I think I was a little more focused on the various MMA moves that were on show to be honest.

To sum up: Story = Bad, Action = Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ian Glen is my new favourite actor, he's incredible.

Have you seen the mighty Jack Taylor?

I watched Das Boot for the first time last week. Really powerful film. Makes you feel grateful for the comparatively easy life you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Das Boot is one of the best WWII films I've watched. I watched another of Petersen's films on Netflix the other day, Outbreak. It was a bit sh*t :(

edit: Also, the film was 4:3 aspect ratio on Netflix. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Transformers: Dark side of the moon ............:D so bad, terrible, god awful, i'd been putting it off until some weekend i was bored, i'd heard the last hour was worth seeing for the action but the blonde in the high heels with the cleanest jacket i've ever seen was just so distracting, i mean, what was the point? it was funny, cause we played a drinking game, rules were simple, pointless shot of whatsherface..drink, she switches from heels to runners...drink, switches back... drink, you dont know whats goin on?..........drink

Warrior. Loved it, went into McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac with extra Warrior. So formulaic but still enjoyed it completely.

Terminator Salvation: Worse again on second viewing, such a disappointment. I hate McG from now til death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Das Boot is one of the best WWII films I've watched. I watched another of Petersen's films on Netflix the other day, Outbreak. It was a bit sh*t :(

edit: Also, the film was 4:3 aspect ratio on Netflix. Is that right?

Das Boot is one of the most realistic, atmospheric and claustrophobic submarine movies ever made - a real classic that is best viewed with German sound for maximum effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Das Boot is one of the most realistic, atmospheric and claustrophobic submarine movies ever made - a real classic that is best viewed with German sound for maximum effect.

Can't imagine watching any film dubbed, completely ruins them, but yeah, its a great film apart from the ending which is a bit of a damp squib (not squid :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

In a lonely place - Bogart is suspected of murder and his engagement gets ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Nolanger wrote: »
    In a lonely place - Bogart is suspected of murder and his engagement gets ruined.

Was it any good?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Went to see Matilda the Musical in London - amazing!

Music by Tim Minchin! absolute musical genius. Im going to have to watch the film again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Shark Night 3D - Terrible film. Has nothing going for it.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Rent/buy something like Frankenfish if you want a decent toothy fishy B- Movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I caught License To Kill on ITV 4 Sunday afternoon for the heavily cutting laugh. :D

As usual some major clips for an afternoon screening
    but Felix' death was intact and complete with bitten
    leg stump by shark. :eek:

One of the better Bonds. Probably the last decent one. :rolleyes:

Cuts or no cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The Thing prequel in a word sh1te :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just watched Mr and Mrs Smith (2005), again, always get a good laugh when there figuring each other out, :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Thief on Netflix(Ireland)

Early Michael Mann film starring James Caan who is just completely badass in it. Reminded me a lot of Drive, fantastic photography and quality synth score. Can't believe i've never heard of nor seen it before. One of my new favourite films.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982) on Netflix last night.

Still good fun but has not aged particularly well.

Written by Cameron Crowe and directed by the altogether quite consistent Amy Heckerling.

Still amazes me that Judge Reinhold was at one stage considered a bankable leading man. Although Phoebe Cates was absolutely stunning back then though.

Sean Penn as Spiccoli goes old REAL quick!

If you've never seen, give it a watch on Netflix. You could do far worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Basq wrote: »
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982) on Netflix last night.

Still good fun but has not aged particularly well.

Written by Cameron Crowe and directed by the altogether quite consistent Amy Heckerling.

Still amazes me that Judge Reinhold was at one stage considered a bankable leading man. Although Phoebe Cates was absolutely stunning back then though.

Sean Penn as Spiccoli goes old REAL quick!

If you've never seen, give it a watch on Netflix. You could do far worse!

Quality 80's cheese. Look out for brief appearances from Nicolas Cage (Copolla) and Anthony Edwards. Sean Penn is very funny in this.

Watched Crazy Stupid Love myself as part of my ongoing Ryan Gosling fest. Very good movie with some nice twists and turns. Gosling and Steve Carell are perfectly cast and work really well together. Only gripe is the cheesier than necessary ending.

Think I've enough Ryan Gosling now. Good actor.

Midnight In Paris:

Thoroughly enjoyable film. Didn't actually want it to end and was very refreshing to see Owen Wilson in that kind of role. Superb film and would highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thief on Netflix(Ireland)

Early Michael Mann film starring James Caan who is just completely badass in it. Reminded me a lot of Drive, fantastic photography and quality synth score. Can't believe i've never heard of nor seen it before. One of my new favourite films.

Better late than never :) I bought the Tangerine Dream soundtrack when it was released. Classic 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We Need to Talk About Kevin: A bit torn about this. Swinton was brilliant oviously but I wanted to know more about Kevin dammit. I was left wanting more at the end, basically the film needs to talk about kevin more :pac: I also found it a bit naff
    that he used a bow and arrow for the massacre, surely someone would have overpowered him before he could have donetoo much damage. Also I didn't really buy that he could be that evil from an early age with a vendetta against the mother before he could(or chose to) talk, I'm well aware kids can be manipulative but seriously here he came off as literally a kid with the body of a fully grown emotionless psychopath
    . Still despite that I found a very tense and involving film. As much a horror film as it is a drama.

Well the thing to remember with We Need to Talk About Kevin is that's it's really told from the mother's perspective, so she'll her view of what Kevin was like as a kid will be slightly skewed.

• Advertisement

COP

Rogue James Woods as the titular character goes
    ape chasing a nasty piece of work...

the ending was given away in the trailer. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, classic Woods territory. The Main Man is
    at his finest here.

"snuggle...!!!"

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Henry And June. I was expecting a bit more sparkle from this considering it's about Henry Miller and Anais Nin, seemingly it caused a bit of a hullabaloo back in the day. All rather boring and the dullest film I've ever seen with a carnival in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I caught License To Kill on ITV 4 Sunday afternoon for the heavily cutting laugh. :D

As usual some major clips for an afternoon screening
    but Felix' death was intact and complete with bitten
    leg stump by shark. :eek:

One of the better Bonds. Probably the last decent one. :rolleyes:

Cuts or no cuts.

i like licence to kill but as one film critic once said , its not all that bond like , the villian and storyline are more like miami vice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

You Don't Know Jack Ok pedantic people might tag this as a tv show but I watched the whole thing with no advertisements and at 134 minutes it felt like a film to me!

I really enjoyed this as it showed the other side of Kevorkian story. I remember the news stories as we back in the early 90's actually had the american nbc channel on cablelink so I saw where he was basically painted as the devil incarnate.

The story shows the patients side the horrific suffering they endured as a result of their various illnesses. Would highly recommend it.

i just had on something in the background
    with Jack and the face lifted Keaton on rte 1...

sweet mother of jesus...he's sure come alot
    downhill from the last detail...

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched The Eagle tonight; quite good but dont think the lead guy really worked in that he was very forgettable.

Just watched drive thought it was ****e ryan u aint no clint eastwood !! When are they going to turn a page on violent retribution movies ?
    Only the first five mins was any good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

JohnK wrote: »
    Watched The Eagle tonight; quite good but dont think the lead guy really worked in that he was very forgettable.

is that the guy with the really square jaw, from Step Up? - :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

SarahBM wrote: »
    JohnK wrote: »

is that the guy with the really square jaw, from Step Up? - :rolleyes:
    IMDB says yes...

• Advertisement

Margin Call:

Had absolutely no idea what this was about upon going into seeing it yesterday. Looked like a decent cast so gave it a shot.

Bar the disappointing ending I was pleasantly surprised with the film overall. It reminded me of the film 'Wall Street' except instead of focusing on the traders, it moreso focused on the management side of a large firm.

Pretty enjoyable overall. It's a pretty serious film so if you're looking for a bit of escapism this may not be the film for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement