Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

Must say I liked the Departed a lot! Watched Infernal Affairs recently and thought it was very good, a lot more action-packed but probably not as good a movie overall.

In the Heat of the Night - saw it was on Netflix so jumped on it. Seen it so many times... love it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061811/

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That_Guy wrote: »
    Margin Call:

Had absolutely no idea what this was about upon going into seeing it yesterday. Looked like a decent cast so gave it a shot.

Bar the disappointing ending I was pleasantly surprised with the film overall. It reminded me of the film 'Wall Street' except instead of focusing on the traders, it moreso focused on the management side of a large firm.

Pretty enjoyable overall. It's a pretty serious film so if you're looking for a bit of escapism this may not be the film for you.

Watched it the other night myself and enjoyed it. I liked the way everything wasnt spelt out and simplified.
    It is suppossed to be based around the events that sparked the global financial crisis.

But the end was disappointing, it would have been interesting to see exactly what happened to the people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That_Guy wrote: »
    Margin Call:

Had absolutely no idea what this was about upon going into seeing it yesterday. Looked like a decent cast so gave it a shot.

Bar the disappointing ending I was pleasantly surprised with the film overall. It reminded me of the film 'Wall Street' except instead of focusing on the traders, it moreso focused on the management side of a large firm.

Pretty enjoyable overall. It's a pretty serious film so if you're looking for a bit of escapism this may not be the film for you.
    Thought it was a very dull film - and that said I knew what the film was about before watching it.

It was flat - there was no twist, it was just bland like a poor documentary. I thought the casting was quite good but overall I was disappointed by it tbh

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Help: Watched this last night, and I thought it was great. Sure its a very oscar friendly kind of film (battling adversity, tugging at the heart strings yadda yadda) but there's no denying the brilliant performances by pretty much the whole cast. Its quite long but it never felt like the length it was. Its quite moving towards the end, the scene where
    Skeeter's mother fires Constantine
    was particularly heartbreaking. Overall I guess it will be a bit too much of a tear jerker for some but I thought it was a very satisfying well made film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Help: Watched this last night, and I thought it was great. Sure its a very oscar friendly kind of film (battling adversity, tugging at the heart strings yadda yadda) but there's no denying the brilliant performances by pretty much the whole cast. Its quite long but it never felt like the length it was. Its quite moving towards the end, the scene where
    Skeeter's mother fires Constantine
    was particularly heartbreaking. Overall I guess it will be a bit too much of a tear jerker for some but I thought it was a very satisfying well made film.

found it way to melodramatic and sentimental but it was a decent film overall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Son of Paleface - Bob Hope comedy western. He drives through an oasis and the vultures on his car turn into penguins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

What I will be watching:

stanley.jpg

This arrived today. I got a HMV.com £20 voucher for £5 (don't ask, it's complicated and over) and ended up with this sweet little set for £9.99 delivered, including the £5 for the voucher. Not too bad, I think!

The US version of this set also contains Spartacus and Dr. Strangelove, but I already had the blu-ray of Dr. Strangelove and the dvd of Spartacus so this set was pretty close to perfect for me. I've managed to live my life to this point without seeing any of the films in this set - I think that'll change very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

The White Ribbon by Michael Haneke. Simply stunning, a very well made film with layers and layers of drama surrounding the community. Some great acting and the shots are superb added with the Black/White colour and the pacing I felt was good, especially for a story like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I recorded Adaptation before Christmas, only just got around to watching it. I was a little concerned I might not like it, based on the premise: famous screenwriter Charlie Kaufman, struggling to adapt a book about an orchid thief, writes his struggle in to the screenplay, then writes that in to the screenplay, and so on ... it could have been the cinematic equivalent of sticking your head up your own backside.

Instead, we get a kind-of reversal of Kaufman's Being John Malkovich story, and I don't think it's a coincidence that one of the first scenes shows Charlie getting kicked off the set of that film. BJM has a mind getting lost inside itself, but Adaptation is more about ideas spiralling outward in directions they aren't supposed to go - if you let them. There are all kinds of things getting in the way of that process: self-doubt, envy, health, lack of vision, lack of time. There's also Kaufman's relationship with Hollywood and its genre conventions, embodied in the "mainstream" success of his fictional twin brother. How do they resolve that conflict? Can they resolve it? Should they even try? It's a trip, all right ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Loved Adaptation, you've reminded me that I must watch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Syferus wrote: »
    What I will be watching:

stanley.jpg

This arrived today. I got a HMV.com £20 voucher for £5 (don't ask, it's complicated and over) and ended up with this sweet little set for £9.99 delivered, including the £5 for the voucher. Not too bad, I think!

The US version of this set also contains Spartacus and Dr. Strangelove, but I already had the blu-ray of Dr. Strangelove and the dvd of Spartacus so this set was pretty close to perfect for me. I've managed to live my life to this point without seeing any of the films in this set - I think that'll change very soon.

You haven't seen 2001, Metal Jacket or The Shining yet wow! Your in for a treat especially 2001 and Shining. I'd love to recapture the sense of wonder I felt when I first saw 2001 about 25 yrs ago, in my top ten best films ever, seeing it on 70mm in Ifi was a major thrill a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Just watched The Yellow Sea.

Great South Korean revenge/action flick, but found it a bit hard to follow in places as the plot moved along at a good pace. Seriously violent, lots and lots of stabbing.

8/10

Did I mention the stabbing? There is loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Iron Lady

could have been a lot better but Meryle Streep was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just finished watching 'The Girl Next Door' on Netflix...

.. not the Emile Hirsche / Timothy Olyphant / Elisha Cuthbert comedy but the dreary horror / drama based on a novel by Jack Ketchum about the torture and abuse of a young girl and her sister suffers while in the care of her aunt.

Had heard a lot of people rave about it. But it's not pleasant stuff... it's engrossing yet tough to watch.

It does feature some of the hammiest acting I've seen in a long time.. and I presume it was a TV movie or STV - certainly felt that way anyways.

But definitely worth a watch.. just don't expect to come out of it with a smile on your face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

just finished watching Drive. Its good, couldnt help but laugh at ryan gosling for the first 30-40 minutes or so, just this stonefaced look on him the entire time. thought the ending could have been tied up better too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I watch The Perfect Host last night.

It's about a criminal who cons his way into David Hyde Pierce's house, just as Pierce is about to have a dinner party. Then things take a turn for the worse.

It's not a bad film, and the first 2/3's of it are really enjoyable. But the film doesn't know if it's trying to be a thriller or a black comedy, or something in between. Pierce is brilliant, and an excellent mix of hilarious and terrifying.

But overall, the film is a bit of a let down. There's a side story that isn't needed, and the ending and several aspects of the film make no sense at all. If they had expanded the ideas based around the dinner party, (ie the main story) and didn't bother trying to come up with a smart twisty ending, this could have been a brilliant film.

It's still worth a gander if you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Lost Boys

Hadn't seen it in years and forgot how gloriously 80's this film is. It's seriously dated but an enjoyable flick, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

The Hunter 2011 - Willem Dafoe(Whom until I looked for The Hunter in IMDb I always called William Defoe) is in it.

He plays a mercenary who is contracted by a military biotech company to hunt the last Tasmanian Tiger.

I liked it, it was a good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'Bad Company' (1972) an early Jeff Bridges film co staring the late Barry Brown.

The plot follows the journey of two young civil war deserters making their way out west to start a new life. Its a different take on the traditional westerns of the day, instead of glorifying the time period it creates a bleak and distressing picture of how life really was out west in the mid 1800s. I'd highly recommend it to any Jeff Bridges fans. Also the young Barry Brown gives a great performance, I hadn't heard of him prior to watching this and was saddened to hear that he took his own life 5 years later.

Winchester 73 - fast-paced Western involving a stolen prize rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The Grey - 9/10 .. Excellent film from Joe Carnahan. Loved Narc and the A-Team. Liam Neeson is his brilliant best in this nostalgic thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The Guard
    Well worth a watch.Gleeson is top notch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

Citizen Kane!
    had never seen it, amazing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Inglorious Basterds

Tarantino's first unwatchable film in my opinion.

The plot
    leads up to a disaster in a cinema (I'll say no more). And for the conspiracy theorists, Pitt carving a swastika into a Nazi forehead whilst dressed in standard Hollywood red carpet attire.

Try-hard postmodern stuff, with Sergio Leone score, Guns of Navarone feel, 'Kill Bill in Nazi France' plot, bits of Cinderella, a preposterous turn by Brad Pitt acting like John Wayne on acid or something, and a Nazi commander looking about as scary as Rob Brydon in a bad mood.

A fcuking all-over-the-place disaster at worst, and a boring Saturday morning kids' cartoon at best.

Don't watch it, it's sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Inglorious Basterds

The plot
    leads up to a disaster in a cinema (I'll say no more). And for the conspiracy theorists, Pitt carving a swastika into a Nazi forehead whilst dressed in standard Hollywood red carpet attire.

Try-hard postmodern stuff, with Sergio Leone score, Guns of Navarone feel, 'Kill Bill in Nazi France' plot, bits of Cinderella, a preposterous turn by Brad Pitt acting like John Wayne on acid or something, and a Nazi commander looking about as scary as Rob Brydon in a bad mood.

A fcuking all-over-the-place disaster at worst, and a boring Saturday morning kids' cartoon at best.

Don't watch it, it's sh1te

In your opinion it is, not to say other people won't enjoy it. I did.

Firstly the opening scene is riveting and aside from a half hour lul mid way it's great fun with some great performances and cameos

Deep red - Italian horror film from the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Inglorious Basterds

The plot

Couldn't agree more- after the 1st scene it turns into a boring load of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Inglorious Basterds

The plot

I LOVED IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Inglorious Basterds

The plot

the final line of dialogue was when Tarantino finally disappeared up his own arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

Watched Perfect Sense, highly recommend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1439572/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement