Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

watched starship troopers last nite on bbc

one of my favourites , works on so many levels

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

irishh_bob wrote: »
    watched starship troopers last nite on bbc

one of my favourites , works on so many levels

adore that movie, some of the cgi in it puts stuff these days to shame. its 15 years old now, 15! remember seeing it in the cinema like it was yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    In your opinion it is, not to say other people won't enjoy it. I did.

Firstly the opening scene is riveting and aside from a half hour lul mid way it's great fun with some great performances and cameos
    It's obviously his opinion though. I don't see the point in adding 'imo' at the end of every post.

I liked it the first time I watched it. But I came across it again on TV recently and it doesn't hold up very well to a rewatch. The more dialogue heavy scenes come across a tad contrived. The characters are like something from a comic-book, but then, that was probably the director's intention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Hitch-hiker - old road movie about two guys taken hostage by a violent hitcher. Rare black and white movie directed by a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

krudler wrote: »
    adore that movie, some of the cgi in it puts stuff these days to shame. its 15 years old now, 15! remember seeing it in the cinema like it was yesterday

i cant think of any film which is remotely comparable to starship troopers , verhoven is a wonderfull nutter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched Ironclad eventually,decent movie with plenty of blood & guts for those that like a good battle.

Best described as The Magnificent 7 in the 13th Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Inglorious BasterdsDon't watch it, it's sh1te.
    TheWarrior wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more- after the 1st scene it turns into a boring load of rubbish
    SarahBM wrote: »
    I LOVED IT!!!

Almost need a poll on this one. My vote.....turkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

ollaetta wrote: »
    Almost need a poll on this one. My vote.....turkey!

I loved it! (though I agree it was probably about 30 minutes too long)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

3:10 to Yuma - the Bale, Crowe remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

juan.kerr wrote: »
    3:10 to Yuma - the Bale, Crowe remake.

And..... ???

I thought it was poor tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I watched Midnight in Paris last night. I knew zilch going into it. I didn't even know Owen Wilson was in it! I really enjoyed it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I watched Midnight in Paris last night. I knew zilch going into it. I didn't even know Owen Wilson was in it! I really enjoyed it however.

I also watched it last night for the first time.
    I'm a big fan of the Lost Generation, Hemingway in particular, so I found the film very touching. Wilson's impression of Woody Allen came off a bit annoying but in general the movie is really stylish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Inglorious Basterds

Tarantino's first unwatchable film in my opinion.

The plot
    leads up to a disaster in a cinema (I'll say no more). And for the conspiracy theorists, Pitt carving a swastika into a Nazi forehead whilst dressed in standard Hollywood red carpet attire.

Try-hard postmodern stuff, with Sergio Leone score, Guns of Navarone feel, 'Kill Bill in Nazi France' plot, bits of Cinderella, a preposterous turn by Brad Pitt acting like John Wayne on acid or something, and a Nazi commander looking about as scary as Rob Brydon in a bad mood.

A fcuking all-over-the-place disaster at worst, and a boring Saturday morning kids' cartoon at best.

Don't watch it, it's sh1te.

Agree completely mon capitan!

I reviewed it on this thread a while ago too. Utterly dreadful film bar a few decent sections.

Plays out like a childs game or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 factcuptor

Just watched Munich for the first time last night. Brilliant film!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Tony EH wrote: »
    Agree completely mon capitan!

I reviewed it on this thread a while ago too. Utterly dreadful film bar a few decent sections.

Plays out like a childs game or something.

Just one look at the trailer would tell you that it was going to be a pile of sh*te to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Inglourious Basterds was one of the most enjoyable adventure I've ever seen and a refinement of Tarantino's style, he managed to subdue most of his worst tenancies while maintaining a real energy, momentum and, yes, fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Moneyball - underwhelming

The Hunter - Not bad but the final third of the movie is rather poor imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dogtown and Z-Boys - probably the best documentary I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Watched `The Artist'
    I don't understand why this was hyped. Actually I do but I don't want to be that cynical.
    A black and white film about the era of black and white films basically I think with a sappy story to move it along.
    I found it boring and pointless. Some kind of bourgeois fantasy project. Why make a silent and black and white film. purely I think because pretentious people can say they appreciated it to make themselves feel better. That's all a bit harsh but I didn't see the point. Its like watching a movie in a hospital waiting room with the sound turned down. Does that make sense.
    DO NOT RECOMMEND. Waste of my time and of black and white ink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I was recently thinking that 2011 has been a pretty crap year for hollywood then tonight I watched both The Help and The Descendants. Two of the best films I've watched in a long time.

The Descendants is a total gem of a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Thief on Netflix(Ireland)

Early Michael Mann film starring James Caan who is just completely badass in it. Reminded me a lot of Drive, fantastic photography and quality synth score. Can't believe i've never heard of nor seen it before. One of my new favourite films.

Watched this tonight after reading your post. I love a bit of Michael Mann(does that sound wrong:D). Totally agree with ya though....dunno how I missed it either.
    Yeah Drive....couldn't believe the amount of similarities...some shots looked to be taken directly from Thief...
    Defo recommend this one....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

cursai wrote: »
    I found it boring and pointless. Some kind of bourgeois fantasy project. Why make a silent and black and white film. purely I think because pretentious people can say they appreciated it to make themselves feel better. That's all a bit harsh but I didn't see the point. Its like watching a movie in a hospital waiting room with the sound turned down. Does that make sense.

I had some serious issues with the Artist, but frankly it's a disappointment that more people don't film in black & white or in silent. They're both very distinctive storytelling mediums. Being able to tell a story without a word being uttered is a significant achievement, and the cinematography options available to a DoP using b&w / classical techniques are astounding (I particularly love the way light looks in the hands of a talented camera team filming in black & white). Dismissing it is basically like dismissing all classical music for not conforming to current 'norms'.

Accusations of pretension are unfair. Silent cinema was a very rich era for filmmaking, and one that developed a unique, engaging visual language of its own: one that was unfairly abandoned when sound changed the game. Most people who have engaged with classic cinema would agree. Seeing people going back and revisiting those techniques is only to be encouraged. The Artist in my mind was a somewhat cynical exercise in crowdpleasing. And it didn't really add anything new or interesting to the realm of silent cinema. But it was still a refreshing and entertaining cinema experience, even if it doesn't come close to measuring up to seeing Battleship Potemkin in the same cinema a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I'm certainly not pretentious and I loved the artist.

Anyway, last night I watched Galaxy Quest, imo a very underrated comedy film. Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman and even Sam Rockwell! So funny, I telly love it.
    Gonna make the parents watch Toy Story 3 today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Firstly the opening scene is riveting and aside from a half hour lul mid way it's great fun with some great performances and cameos
    The opening scene was 'Once Upon a Time in the West'-type stuff, and I loved it for that, and was really loving the suspense - especially
    the bit when the camera suddenly went under the floor.
    But by the time 'Austin Powers' appeared, I just went WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

SarahBM wrote: »
    I'm certainly not pretentious and I loved the artist.

Anyway, last night I watched Galaxy Quest, imo a very underrated comedy film. Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman and even Sam Rockwell! So funny, I telly love it.
    Gonna make the parents watch Toy Story 3 today :)

Galaxy Quest! Brilliant! Get your ass over to the Under the radar movies thread and post that one! It definitely did not get the recognition it deserved!

Last night I watched White Squall with a long list of actors you'll know and a load of "oh hey, its that guy!"
    Really good movie headed up by The Dude, that has more than a few logical endings but its gripping so you dont mind hanging in for the duration (129 mins).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have Galaxy Quest on video - a real classic which my kids love as well.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galaxy Quest is a great film, parodies star trek brilliantly. A lot of people write it off when they see Tim Allen in the leading role but he's perfectly cast in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Great thing about Galaxy Quest is that it parodies Star Trek but in a very loving way. I wish they had made a sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Also love Galaxy Quest!

Watched "Idiocracy" again last night, a very watchable and actually quite funny satire on the dumbing down of culture. Ok, it is a bit hamfisted but still has some funny things to say.

Love the Fox News bit!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement