Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Precious1

Loved "Anonymous" - A political thriller advancing the theory that it was in fact Edward De Vere, Earl of Oxford who penned Shakespeare's plays; set against the backdrop of the succession of Queen Elizabeth I, and the Essex Rebellion against her.

Also loved "The Artist" - The little dog absolutely made it for me. Then the sympathy between the two protagonists, the way they hugged...the dancing in the end was like fireworks...what men and women should be doing with one another. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Great thing about Galaxy Quest is that it parodies Star Trek but in a very loving way. I wish they had made a sequel.

Galaxy Quest is awesome, I used to work in a cinema when I came out and spent my lunchbreaks watching it :pac: Alan Rickman is brilliant in it "by Grabthars hammer!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

cursai wrote: »
    Watched `The Artist'
    I don't understand why this was hyped. Actually I do but I don't want to be that cynical.
    A black and white film about the era of black and white films basically I think with a sappy story to move it along.
    I found it boring and pointless. Some kind of bourgeois fantasy project. Why make a silent and black and white film. purely I think because pretentious people can say they appreciated it to make themselves feel better. That's all a bit harsh but I didn't see the point. Its like watching a movie in a hospital waiting room with the sound turned down. Does that make sense.
    DO NOT RECOMMEND. Waste of my time and of black and white ink.
    What is with this "I didn't like something, so I'll make ridiculous assumptions about people who like it." trend on the internet. So childish. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

e_e wrote: »
    What is with this "I didn't like something, so I'll make ridiculous assumptions about people who like it." trend on the internet. So childish. :pac:

I think its more that people who can only watch stuff with Batman and explosions in it think anything else is pretentious, absolute nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mildred Pierce

5-part mini-series starring Kate Winslet and directed by Todd Haynes. It’s set in Depression-era Los Angeles and is about a recently separated mother who struggles to work while supporting her two daughters. It’s a period film which touches on a lot of social issues of the time, the stigma about working women, social class, etc, but really it’s about the poisonous relationship between Mildred and her eldest daughter Veda, a spoiled brat whom Mildred’s obsessive love for and desire to please leads her down a path of heartbreak and self-destruction.

It’s a remake/re-adaptation of the 1945 Joan Crawford film of the same name, which is something of a noir classic, but was greatly restricted in terms of content by the strict censorship code of the time that required that evildoers always be published. Haynes’s version in contrast is no film noir and apparently is much more faithful to the novel. It’s slow paced and the operatic revelations of the final act sneak up on you, but it’s brilliantly acted and has a quiet cinematic flair which should make it appealing to film fans. I thought it was fantastic.

Guy Pierce, Melissa Leo and Evan Rachel Wood also star in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

Happy Feet 2

Probably the worst animated film I have ever had to endure!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I keep trying to watch this movie : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478988/

Call of Cthulhu . However it's a silent movie and I am getting easily distracted by noisy activity elsewhere. I cant really judge it until I actually watch more than 10 minutes. Anyone seen it and rated it or should I forget about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I watched shame today. Gripping powerful film and was thoroughly impressed with Fassbenders performance. One of the better films were the lead is on a downward spiral, knows it but is powerless to stop it. Well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Precious1 wrote: »
    Loved "Anonymous" - A political thriller advancing the theory that it was in fact Edward De Vere, Earl of Oxford who penned Shakespeare's plays; set against the backdrop of the succession of Queen Elizabeth I, and the Essex Rebellion against her.

Also loved "The Artist" - The little dog absolutely made it for me. Then the sympathy between the two protagonists, the way they hugged...the dancing in the end was like fireworks...what men and women should be doing with one another. lol
    Have to say I loved it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Watched `The Artist'
    I don't understand why this was hyped. Actually I do but I don't want to be that cynical.
    A black and white film about the era of black and white films basically I think with a sappy story to move it along.
    I found it boring and pointless. Some kind of bourgeois fantasy project. Why make a silent and black and white film. purely I think because pretentious people can say they appreciated it to make themselves feel better. That's all a bit harsh but I didn't see the point. Its like watching a movie in a hospital waiting room with the sound turned down. Does that make sense.

On top of that, I'd wager that half of its "fanbase" have never and would never watch an actual silent film from the era it's representing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I was confused a tad by the ending but enjoyed it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Tony EH wrote: »
    On top of that, I'd wager that half of its "fanbase" have never and would never watch an actual silent film from the era it's representing.

Good point. I wasn't even trying to label people who watch it as pretentious. More the whole idea of making a film in this limited format. It was like it was made by people who want to be able to say they appreciate historic cinema.
    People might say the story and the cinematography is the meat of it but i didn't see that in this film. For what it is, a black and white silent film, its one of the worst. And i sat through a few.
    I'm flabbergasted that its nominated for an oscar, but then again so was a lot if other tripe in the past and they won too. Anyway its bad taste, like drinking a bad wine because it was a gift.

Also watched Warhorse recently and found it enjoyable family fare. Like Sunday evening viewing. Recommend a viewing. And also Anonymous which i found very good. Interesting story and interesting characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Went to see The Descendants. Its not a patch on About Schmidt or Sideways IMO. I cant really see what Clooney did to be nominated for an Oscar in this one, other than the fact that he has perfected the art of looking bewildered by just not brushing his hair. I thought the older daughter and the slacker boyfriend were the only two characters with any substance and both out-acted George, especially the boyfriend. The land plot was incidental but the view was beautiful. It really isn't as good as people would like you to think

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

marwelie wrote: »
    Went to see The Descendants. Its not a patch on About Schmidt or Sideways IMO. I cant really see what Clooney did to be nominated for an Oscar in this one, other than the fact that he has perfected the art of looking bewildered by just not brushing his hair. I thought the older daughter and the slacker boyfriend were the only two characters with any substance and both out-acted George, especially the boyfriend. The land plot was incidental but the view was beautiful. It really isn't as good as people would like you to think

obrother1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Ghost, on TV tonight: Roman Polanski's adaptation of the Robert Harris novel, with Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Olivia Williams & Kate Cattrall.

Lots of good things about it: excellent cinematography (no shaky cam), the locations, and the casting. I hardly recognised Cattrall with different hair and her own English accent, while Brosnan is suitably arrogant as a former Prime Minister with no regrets.

However, the ending had me going "what?"
    So, the Ghost uncovers Ruth's secret, and I guess it went straight to his head, because he immediately does two stupid things. He lets her know he's on to her, in the presence of her CIA handler. Then he walks out on to the street, holding the manuscript openly, looks around carefully as he crosses the road out of shot ... and fails to spot a car coming at him at high speed.
    Weird.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

dear zachary

went into it without knowing anything but the name

harrowing, emotional, sweet, hopelessly sad

I'm fairly sure it's the best documentary I've ever seen

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched these on Netflix over the weekend:

God Went Surfing With The Devil: Documentary about the charity Surf 4 Peace's attempts to get 23 surfboards into Gaza. It focuses on the surf communities in Tel Aviv and Gaza. It was ok but nowhere near as good as I was hoping. Could have been an opportunity for a great documentary, and the parts in Gaza are ok but they focus on Tel aviv way more than was necessary.

Diggers: Comedy drama centred around a group of clam fishermen on long Island in the 70's. Stars Paul Rudd and Ken Marino(who also wrote it). I enjoyed it quite a bit, it moves along at a pretty leisurely pace, its typical small town drama kind of stuff but the characters are all very likeable with some good performances particularly from Rudd and Marino. Worth a watch if you're looking for something relatively light.

Lonesome Jim: This stars Casey Affleck and Liv Tyler, its also directed by Steve Buscemi. I liked the other movie Buscemi directed, Tree's Lounge so I thought I'd give this a shot. Affleck plays Jim who returns home from Manhatten to his parents house because he's suffering from "chronic despair". He meets Tylers single mother and learns a few things etc. Its a good film, pretty funny in places although Affleck's character is pretty miserable but you still end up rooting for him.

2 Days in Paris: Written by, directed by, scored by and starring Julie Delpy. This comedy is about a couple who spend 2 days in paris on their way back to New York. Thought it was brilliant. Funny, quirky and believable, not a run of the mill romcom at all. Its got shades of Woody Allen to it but in a very good way. Snappy dialogue and some laugh out loud moments. highly recommended.

THink i'll be giving Dear Zachary a look next, a lot of people have been mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Just watched we bought a zoo.. Such a lovely movie with great acting! Had tears in my eyes a few times! Defo recommend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Red State - absolute rubbish. I admire Smith for leaving his comfort zone, but alas he proves himself as once again lacking the vision to leave it convincingly.

At barely eighty minutes, it feels stetched. A handful of monologues and conversations drag on endlessly for little compelling reason. All the characters are irritating and absurdly underwritten. The tone is consistently inconsistent, and it is neither funny nor scary. The ending is an absolute farce.

I like the central concept, and extreme fundamentalists are rife material for scathing satire. But there's nothing remotely interesting about this film, and Smith's writing and directorial decisions frequently frustrate. Even the strong cast have nothing to work with. I respect the intentions, but despised the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

City of Angels, type of film you'd think I'd have seen years ago but for some reason I only got around to seeing it the other night. Even if you're not relgious it's quite compelling if a little predictable but entertaining all the same. Soundtrack ain't bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Good point. I wasn't even trying to label people who watch it as pretentious. More the whole idea of making a film in this limited format. It was like it was made by people who want to be able to say they appreciate historic cinema.
    People might say the story and the cinematography is the meat of it but i didn't see that in this film. For what it is, a black and white silent film, its one of the worst. And i sat through a few.
    I'm flabbergasted that its nominated for an oscar, but then again so was a lot if other tripe in the past and they won too. Anyway its bad taste, like drinking a bad wine because it was a gift.

Also watched Warhorse recently and found it enjoyable family fare. Like Sunday evening viewing. Recommend a viewing. And also Anonymous which i found very good. Interesting story and interesting characters.

No problem with you not liking The Artist at all, I'm a little bit cynical towards it myself and don't think it's as fantastic as everyone is saying, but recommending Spielberg and Emmerich in the same post? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Watched `The Artist'

Maybe people like it because it's funny, original and a different experience to what they are used to in the cinema.

I liked it. Thought I might get bored after a few minutes but I didn't at all. It's quirky and interesting. Couldn't see myself ever watching it on DVD though. I'd lose concentration. Made for the cinema this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Craic" (1999) (85 mins) Two Belfast lads have to leave town after they insult a local IRA leader about his hair implants! They hightail it to Australia where they try to keep one step ahead of immigration officials. Things go from bad to worse when their IRA nemesis is relocated to Aus as part of a witness protection programme - complete with his SAS minders....
    Harmless escapism and at .50 cents from my local Sue Ryder shop it was money well spent. My only criticism was all the accents, between Nordie ones, Scottish (?) SAS men and Aussies, subtitles would have been useful. Colin/Stephen (the IRA supergrass) played by Robert Morgan is superb - watch out for his car scene with a frog and a shot gun. :D9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

How is it a bad thing though if it compels people to seek out a lot of classic silent movies? It's the kind of movie that can convert people to what was a lost art, people seem biased against the movie SIMPLY because it is in black and white and has no dialog. That seems really elitist to me. I recommended somebody The Artist and they said "oh is that the movie that has no talking in it?", errrr. :(

...and I was a big Charlie Chaplin fan prior to seeing The Artist, so there goes your theory about people who like it. fwiw I don't think The Artist is as amazing as the likes of Modern Times, City Lights or The Kid, but then again what is? Simply put people who are interested in the history of cinema will go to see it regardless, it's pretty cynical to assume that there's some hidden agenda to somebody enjoying an amusing and touching movie. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Red State - absolute rubbish. I admire Smith for leaving his comfort zone, but alas he proves himself as once again lacking the vision to leave it convincingly.

At barely eighty minutes, it feels stetched. A handful of monologues and conversations drag on endlessly for little compelling reason. All the characters are irritating and absurdly underwritten. The tone is consistently inconsistent, and it is neither funny nor scary. The ending is an absolute farce.

I like the central concept, and extreme fundamentalists are rife material for scathing satire. But there's nothing remotely interesting about this film, and Smith's writing and directorial decisions frequently frustrate. Even the strong cast have nothing to work with. I respect the intentions, but despised the results.

That's a shame. I was hoping this would be good...oh well.

You know, Smith reminds me of Tarantino. I like both of them and what they have to say on a lot of things, but THEIR product always leaves me cold, or in some cases extremely pissed off.

Like Tarantino, it seems Smith has shot his bolt with his first effort and is now left holding an empty quiver.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tony EH wrote: »
    That's a shame. I was hoping this would be good...oh well.

You know, Smith reminds me of Tarantino. I like both of them and what they have to say on a lot of things, but THEIR product always leaves me cold, or in some cases extremely pissed off.

Like Tarantino, it seems Smith has shot his bolt with his first effort and is now left holding an empty quiver.

I like Smith but he's nowhere near as good as Tarantino imo, I wouldn't really call Smith a good director more a good writer. Apart from Death Proof(which was only mediocre) I don't think Tarantino has made a bad film at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The Descendants - Fantastic, really enjoyed this one. Probably the best performance from George Clooney I have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Renn wrote: »
    No problem with you not liking The Artist at all, I'm a little bit cynical towards it myself and don't think it's as fantastic as everyone is saying, but recommending Spielberg and Emmerich in the same post? :/

After Spielberg's Indiana Jones and Emmerich's long list of crap. I'm releasing these two parolees into society for good behaviour based on the aforementioned films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The Descendants - Fantastic, really enjoyed this one. Probably the best performance from George Clooney I have seen.
    Loved it...also spent an age trying to decide if his characters daughter was old enough to be considered hot

She most certainly is it turns out :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement