Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I just watched 21 last night and I got drawn right into, it doesnt happen with many films not even some of the truely excellent ones, but I was completely submerged in the plot and loved all the charachters.

I'm not sure why I really loved it, but i did

the poker thing lame, a film by numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shockpeter

just saw broken embraces- think i preferred penelope cruz in Volver

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Just saw district 9 last night.

A nice movie with a good story but suffered greatly with the "hollywood" style finale for the last 30 mins (don't know why all movies have to follow this same pattern, a change would be nice!)
    The usual guy selfishly tries to save himself, then realises hes done the wrong thing and selflessly saves the alien with the suit thing, why is there always a crisis of conscious in these movies to redeem the hero?
    worth seeing all the same because it is still one of the better movies this year.

Watched "the thing" the other day, what a movie! anyone who hasn't seen it and enjoys movies needs to!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Saw Adventureland the last night, excellent movie, more of a drama than a comedy i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel: Pretty good sci-fi comedy, similar to Shaun Of The Dead type humour.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil: Great!

Monsters vs Aliens: Not bad, giant robots and stuff, pew pew.

Let The Right One In: Cute and horrifying at the same time: awwwwww :D AAAAGHHH!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Man on the Moon - good movie, great performance from Carrey, can't help but think Kaufman was an idiot though.

Casualties of War - one of the best war movies. Briliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 aby1

I watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time last night. Never really too keen but was bored last night so decided to give it a look-see. I absolutely loved it. It's not everyones cuppa but I am definately putting it on my 'favourite movies ever' list. Best love story I have ever seen on screen, fantastic acting. Can't get the other half to watch it 'in case he might like it' (ffs!!!!!!) but I'd watch it again even if it does make me cry. Fabulous.

Haven't read the whole thread but I hope nobody has suggested Apocalypto or Open Water. Worst movies I've ever seen!

Happy movie-watching :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

aby1 wrote: »
    I watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time last night. Never really too keen but was bored last night so decided to give it a look-see. I absolutely loved it. It's not everyones cuppa but I am definately putting it on my 'favourite movies ever' list. Best love story I have ever seen on screen, fantastic acting. Can't get the other half to watch it 'in case he might like it' (ffs!!!!!!) but I'd watch it again even if it does make me cry. Fabulous.

Haven't read the whole thread but I hope nobody has suggested Apocalypto or Open Water. Worst movies I've ever seen!

Happy movie-watching :)

i absolutley loved appocolypto ,one of the best endings to a movie ive ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've got Beerfest on TV at the moment. Not quite sure why. The health warning at the start - If You Drink This Much, You Will Die - should have been about watching the film instead.

Features a cameo from Jürgen Prochnow as the head of the German team, who are experts at drinking out of ... "Das Boot" ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 aby1

irish_bob wrote: »
    i absolutley loved appocolypto ,one of the best endings to a movie ive ever seen

Hiya Irishbob,

That was really the problem for me. I was watching thinking wtf??? when is this tripe going to end?.....then it gets really good and I'm thinking 'ok now we're talking' and it's over! Very good final 15mins agreed but not worth sitting through the movie for. Was like the Blair Witch...motion sick til ye get to the good bit then :eek: .....it's over?...really?...ffs.

What about Cloverfield? I hated it, could have killed my brother for recommending it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

bnt wrote: »
    I've got Beerfest on TV at the moment. Not quite sure why. The health warning at the start - If You Drink This Much, You Will Die - should have been about watching the film instead.

Features a cameo from Jurgen Prochnow as the head of the German team, who are experts at drinking out of "Das Boot" ... :cool:

Watching it myself. Not the may west. Although that skinny black girl was hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

aby1 wrote: »
    Hiya Irishbob,

That was really the problem for me. I was watching thinking wtf??? when is this tripe going to end?.....then it gets really good and I'm thinking 'ok now we're talking' and it's over! Very good final 15mins agreed but not worth sitting through the movie for. Was like the Blair Witch...motion sick til ye get to the good bit then :eek: .....it's over?...really?...ffs.

What about Cloverfield? I hated it, could have killed my brother for recommending it.

I loved how Apocalypto ended
    The entire premise of the movie is about the end of the Mayan civilisation and way of life, and the arrival of the explorers in the closing moments is exactly that
    Its a fantastic film, say what you want about Gibson and his personal life but the man can direct a compelling movie, it looks stunning throughout especially the Mayan city where the sacrifices are taking place, in an age where CGI is used to do almost everything, to have that many people in such elaborate makeup and a real Mayan pyramid is a testament to old school, do it all for real, filmmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Why is it that some people hate open ended or abrupt ending movies so much? why does everything have to have a big payoff or have everything neatly wrapped up, doesnt happen in real life, I love movies with ambiguous or downbeat endings

Watched V for Vendetta earlier, hadnt seen it in ages, can see why fans of the book hate it but I really enjoyed it, and the score is fantastic, I love the dominoes scene and V kicking seven shades of shyte out of McCreedys men before they reload their guns, awesome stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

wallstreet, very good movie, can't say it reached any enormously brilliant heights, but solid, possibly a little over rated as a movie?

I feel like im going to be picking a fight with someone by saying this but I just want to know are there other people out there that would agree with me as well as the people that are going to state i am retarded?

Snesfan wrote: »
    wallstreet, very good movie, can't say it reached any enormously brilliant heights, but solid, possibly a little over rated as a movie?

I feel like im going to be picking a fight with someone by saying this but I just want to know are there other people out there that would agree with me as well as the people that are going to state i am retarded?
    I don't think it's over rated, because in my experience it was never rated in the first place. I don't know too many people who have seen it at all tbh.

If anything it's ever so slightly underrated. But you're right, it's a good solid movie, nothing special though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Recently watched Angel Heart with Mickey Rourke and Bob De Niro. Given all the talk about it I was hoping for more. Its all very dark and dismal, and while I have seen and liked alot of films like this, I didnt particularly like Angel Heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Dorian Gray.

Awful. I wasn't expecting great things, but ffs they made an appalling 'adaption'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Agricola wrote: »
    Recently watched Angel Heart with Mickey Rooney and Bob De Niro. Given all the talk about it I was hoping for more. Its all very dark and dismal, and while I have seen and liked alot of films like this, I didnt particularly like Angel Heart.

MickeyRooney_publ.jpg

Haha, that gave me a god laugh, cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Mickey Rooney would have been great in The Wrestler though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I went to see The Long Goodbye (1973) this afternoon. It's Robert Altman's stunning revisionist take on the Raymond Chandler novel, set in LA in the 70s rather than the 40s. Philip Marlowe (Elliot Gould) is a bit of an anachronism: always in a suit, drives an old car, and doesn't get the culture of the time. (Though he doesn't complain that the hippie girls in the next-door apartment spend most of their time topless.)

I've heard the plot called "complicated", but it's actually fairly straightforward, I thought. There aren't even that many main characters. There is a drunken novelist (clearly inspired by Hemingway), his lovely wife, and a friend of Marlowe's who happens to live near them in the "Malibu Colony". This friend, Terry, gets Marlowe to drive him to the Mexican border early one morning, and by the time Marlowe gets back, the cops are waiting at his door, since Terry's wife was found dead. This is not a spoiler, it's just the setup for what transpires next.

I'm glad I read up on the film before going to see it, or I would have missed some of the in-jokes. The soundtrack is made up of variations on just one song, in all kinds of styles, depending on the context: soft rock, jazz, muzak in a store, and even on Sitar when the hippies are around. There's a Jewish mobster who reminded me of Joe Pesci's character in Goodfellas: a nice guy, easy to get along with, but capable of sadistic violence without warning. One of his sidekicks in a later scene looked very familiar:
    it's an un-credited Arnold Schwarzenegger in a non-speaking role, his second ever movie appearance.

Roger Ebert has it on his Great Movies list, but his review contains many spoilers, so beware ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Snesfan wrote: »

wall street is a movie of its time although it was very relevant around twelve months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I don't think it's over rated, because in my experience it was never rated in the first place. I don't know too many people who have seen it at all tbh.

If anything it's ever so slightly underrated. But you're right, it's a good solid movie, nothing special though.

Oh. My. God.. Wallstreet was a huge deal when it was released, to quote "The film has come to be seen as the archetypal portrayal of 1980s excess".. I remember all the hype about this film when it was in the cinema and thought it definitely stood up to it when I went to see it.. 'Greed is Good'!!!..

Wall Street never rated!!! Get the eff outta here!! Great movie. Well acted and pretty much the basis for Boiler Room, they even sit around quoting Wall Street FFS! :D

trustno1 wrote: »
    Oh. My. God.. Wallstreet was a huge deal when it was released, to quote "The film has come to be seen as the archetypal portrayal of 1980s excess".. I remember all the hype about this film when it was in the cinema and thought it definitely stood up to it when I went to see it.. 'Greed is Good'!!!..
    I guess you just have to be old. :D

I guess you just have to be old. :D

ahem.. 36... my kids think I am 32 which is fine with me!.. :D

Well I'm 25 (26 on Wed woo!) so obviously to young to remember any hype at the time of it's release. But when I mention the movie to people in and around my age group, very few of them seem to have seen it.

Well I'm 25 (26 on Wed woo!) so obviously to young to remember any hype at the time of it's release. But when I mention the movie to people in and around my age group, very few of them seem to have seen it.

I'm the same age as you, and I've seen it :p:D
    And I rate it :D

You would have missed all the hype/controversy over The Last Temptation of Christ and Natural Born Killers as well... sigh.. there's no good hype to film's anymore!!.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

My first time ever seeing this film and now i am going to have to buy the DVD:D
    You can defiantly tell that its a Quentin Tarantino movie,liked the way they kept a lot of the actors from Reservoir Dogs in this film.

The best quote in the whole film.

Samuel L Jackson:
    I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
    Tim Roth:
    Which one is it?
    Samuel L Jackson:
    It's the one that says Bad Mother****er

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 wolfgang123

Just watched ' The Room ' ....my God , it's terrible !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement