Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just done watching 'the cube', as i was in the mood for mindless gore and a genre flick at the same time. Entertained I was, so much so Ive got parts 2 and 0 lined up for tomorrow. Picked up the box set on sale for 8.99 ages ago :)

And with a catchy title like cube 2 - hypercube who could wait

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

calex71 wrote: »
    Just done watching 'the cube', as i was in the mood for mindless gore and a genre flick at the same time. Entertained I was, so much so Ive got parts 2 and 0 lined up for tomorrow. Picked up the box set on sale for 8.99 ages ago :)

Be wary of Hypercube, don't expect too much. I enjoyed Cube Zero even though it wasn't as good as the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Easy Rider was mentioned in another thread, so I pulled it out again tonight. It's 40 years old this year, and looks it. The things that people thought then ... a chopper was subversive, while now it's something for a middle class man having a mid-life crisis. The scene in the New Orleans graveyard is going to give me some weird dreams ... :eek:

Someone commented that it glorified drug taking, but Dennis Hopper has this to say on the commentary track:
    I mean, they're two outlaws who'd gone for the big money, they'd gotten rich, the American Dream. In point of fact, they'd undermined their country and were destroying it, and that was the story to me. They'd lost sight of their freedom/

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 33,696 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Memento. Great film. Wasn't expecting a lot but it definitely delivered. Great plot, great characters, the narrative can be a little hard to follow at first, but when you start understanding it, it really adds to the drama. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

Ica Age 3.

I must say they really have kept up the high standard set by the first film...some excellent jokes suitable for adult and child alike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

calex71 wrote: »

WOAH! WOAH! easy now! Take your foot off the accelerator, come to a gentle stop and apply the handbrake!

Cube is gienus, pure and simple. David Hewlwtt is amazing & easily one of the best films Canada has produced. I know that is seems like sequeals can't go wrong, but sweet zombie jesus! Hypercube was headache/vomit inducing rubbish while Cube 0, admittedly better, was simply...Meh? i know you're probably going to end up watching them anyway, but now I can say "told you so!" lol

i'd compare the Cube films to the Starship Troopers franchise, one is outstanding, two is bottom of the barrell sheize and three is just okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Elizabeth: The Golden Age. God, it was awful! How on earth did Clive Owen get Walter Raliegh confused with Errol Flynn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Elizabeth: The Golden Age. God, it was awful! How on earth did Clive Owen get Walter Raliegh confused with Errol Flynn?

clive owen is a bad actor

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Death Sentence. Kevin Bacon. GREAT FILM. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Anti Christ. Don't see what all the fuss is about. Pretty crap film all in all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Forgive my ignorance but details please. I've never heard of the film. Is it out long or is it new?
    Is it a death-row/dead man walking type film? Is it based on a true-story?
    Be interested to see if it's worth my while seeking it out. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Forgive my ignorance but details please. I've never heard of the film. Is it out long or is it new?
    It's out about 2 years. It's a revenge story. It's brilliant. Watch it. The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

irish_bob wrote: »
    clive owen is a bad actor

I thought he was fairly impressive in 'Children of Men'.

Absolutely. Highly underrated.

You can't say too much about it (may give away plot). A brilliant revenge film. Go take a look, it should be cheap to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Watched Fighting last night. Tbh is was was fooking brutal. Some of the fight scenes were ok but it was boring and really dragged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I watched Never Back Down on sky movies, lets get out the sports/fight movie cliche list

-Hero from a broken home/recently deceased parent: check
    -Moves somewhere new, finds school hard with cliques and runs into main villain, hereby to be referred to as end game boss: check
    -Falls for the school hottie, who happens to be plaything of end game boss: check
    - has talent for fighting but lacks discipline/training that end game boss has, gets ass kicked: check
    - has goofy best new friend: check
    -finds wise mentor who teaches fighting on grounds he wont ever use it outside the gym: check
    -uses it outside the gym, mentor goes ape****: check
    -wins mentors affection back, is riled into entering tournament to face end game boss: check
    -gets girl, kicks end game bosses ass with energy to spare, solving all family problems and letting go of inside demons about recently deceased parent: check

So its basically the Karate Kid with MMA instead of karate, but it as enjoyable fluff, plus the chick in it has an amazing rack,always a bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

krudler wrote: »
    I watched Never Back Down on sky movies, lets get out the sports/fight movie cliche list

-Hero from a broken home/recently deceased parent: check
    -Moves somewhere new, finds school hard with cliques and runs into main villain, hereby to be referred to as end game boss: check
    -Falls for the school hottie, who happens to be plaything of end game boss: check
    - has talent for fighting but lacks discipline/training that end game boss has, gets ass kicked: check
    - has goofy best new friend: check
    -finds wise mentor who teaches fighting on grounds he wont ever use it outside the gym: check
    -uses it outside the gym, mentor goes ape****: check
    -wins mentors affection back, is riled into entering tournament to face end game boss: check
    -gets girl, kicks end game bosses ass with energy to spare, solving all family problems and letting go of inside demons about recently deceased parent: check

So its basically the Karate Kid with MMA instead of karate, but it as enjoyable fluff, plus the chick in it has an amazing rack,always a bonus

with such a cliched formula , jerry bruckheimers finger prints must have been somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.

it was too long, there was at least one battle added that wasn't in the book, could be more it has been a while since I read it. There was a needless romance subplot between Caspian & Susan, CS Lewis managed to write a decent story without including it. Why did they feel the need to include it in the film?

Another cherished childhood memory ruined along with the Indiana Jones films. I wonder what will be next Ghostbusters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Watched "Poltergeist" the other night. Great film, the sfx were great for the time (1982), good script, good acting. really enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hunt For Gollum, fan made (obvious from the production) but still well done, styled like Jacksons trilogy, little prequel to the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Watched District 9 last night.
    While I didn't know what to expect going into it, I thought it was a really good film. I was in stitches every time (which is a lot) that Wikus says "Fook/Fooking".
    I'd recommend it for a film for the lads, not one to bring the missus to though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

What Just Happened-thought it was ok never really got going for me,thought the acting was good for the most part anyway ,just seemed to lack something.I enjoyed the directors character alot.

Year One-Got everything i was expecting from this movie,got a few cheap laughs.Nice to see David Cross and Michael Cera back together(arrested development)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

District 9: Really enjoyed it. Would recommend.
    The Firm: Not Nick Love's best. It's alright not overly surprised it was only in cineworld for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Decided to start watching some horror so in the last week iv watched:

John Carpenters: The Thing
    Alien
    The Hills have Eyes
    The Descent

• Moderators Posts: 51,791 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Religulous - enjoy this. Was pretty much what I expected the movie to be.

Ferris Buellers Day Off - Great movie, never fails to entertain.

Highlander - watched this on bluray. Picture quality wasn't great at various parts of the movie.

Surrogates - wasn't impressed with this movie. Seemed too similar to other movies.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Watched 'Hell Ride' the other night, have to say it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Plot, dialogue, acting etc all beyond dire. The lead actor has had a charisma/personality bypass operation at some point and pretty much spends the entire movie strutting around clicking his fingers while drop dead gorgeous women throw themselves at him for some inexplicable reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Got around to seeing the latest Star Trek film last night, was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

koth wrote: »
    Religulous - enjoy this. Was pretty much what I expected the movie to be.

Ferris Buellers Day Off - Great movie, never fails to entertain.

Highlander - watched this on bluray. Picture quality wasn't great at various parts of the movie.

Surrogates - wasn't impressed with this movie. Seemed too similar to other movies.

Just seen surrogates myself, The film had loads of potential, and i'm a fan of bruce willis. But the film failed to deliver.

Go watch the trailer, its more exciting then the movie itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 1978

Saturday afternoon, dark creepy classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I've seen Gamer and 500 Days of Summer in the last couple of weeks. Enjoyed both. Nothing particularly special about either of them, but still reasonably good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

nicklauski wrote: »
    Watched District 9 last night.
    While I didn't know what to expect going into it, I thought it was a really good film. I was in stitches every time (which is a lot) that Wikus says "Fook/Fooking".
    I'd recommend it for a film for the lads, not one to bring the missus to though :D

I saw it in the cinema with my cousin in Melbourne, everytime he said fooking prawns we too were in stitches, everyone in the cinema was looking at us like we were pi**ed or something..!!!!

On a separate note has anyone seen Lesbian Vampire Killers? on the dvd box it describes the duo going to Wales for the Weekend, but you clearly see him throwing a dart to the map on the East coast of England... Just a thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement