Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched The Captains last night. Interesting look at the people who played the captains we all know from the various series and see the toll it took on their personal lives. And I just have to add that I'm gald Shatner mentioned how "out there" Avery Brooks (AKA Sisko) was :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

JohnK wrote: »
    Watched The Captains last night. Interesting look at the people who played the captains we all know from the various series and see the toll it took on their personal lives. And I just have to add that I'm gald Shatner mentioned how "out there" Avery Brooks (AKA Sisko) was :p

good doc alright Shatner walking around the convention photobombing people was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Ronin - good old fashioned twists and turns thriller.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great car chase too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The Incredible Hulk — I've been a while getting around to this. These Marvel adaptations bore me tbh, but I found this very watchable and prefered how they portrayed the Hulk. However, it still pales in comparison to the Ang Lee film, which I still think is one of the most underrated comic book movies of recent years.

April Fools?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Keno 92 wrote: »
    April Fools?

No, I'm quite serious. I'll take Ang Lee's Hulk any day over bore-fests like Captain American and Iron Man. I didn't always like the film so much, mind you, but its grown on me a lot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

SarahBM wrote: »
    Ronin - good old fashioned twists and turns thriller.

:)

I honestly think Ronin is a masterpiece but I'm probably in the minority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think Ronin's incredibly overrated, in much the same way as Heat is, actually. Don't think I've ever actually got to the end of Ronin before.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I honestly think Ronin is a masterpiece but I'm probably in the minority.

Hell no you're not in a minority, one of the best car chases ever commited to film and arguabley one of Robert DeNiro's last decent roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I think Ronin's incredibly overrated, in much the same way as Heat is, actually. Don't think I've ever actually got to the end of Ronin before.

Then you will never know what is in the briefcase;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fallen Angels - sort of sequel to Chungking Express. New characters and story, but the style, editing, tone and setting are all quite similar. Not as good as its predecessor (what could be as wonderful as CE?) but still a film that encourages the viewer to get drunk on its delirious cinematography (from the one and only Christopher Doyle), editing and devil-may-care attitude. A technical marvel where the multi-protagonist narratives struggle to keep up with the breathless delivery.

Wong Kar-Wai has made better films than this, but he also made My Blueberry Nights, and this is most definitely considerably more endearing than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Watched a film called Memories of Matsuko. Fantastic movie, would definitely recommend it.

I knew nothing about the plot before watching it, so it really was an unexpected surprise, threw it on about 2am one morning expecting it to be a by the numbers movie. Boy was I wrong. The story is about a slacker in Tokyo who is ordered by his father to clear out his murdered aunts house. As he does he finds out more about her colourful life and how it all ended at 53.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CountryJoe wrote: »
    Watched a film called Memories of Matsuko. Fantastic movie, would definitely recommend it.

Yeah a rather impressive film indeed, if unrelentingly grim. Kind of a big '**** you' to other musicals and films of its type. I love the Happy Wednesday bit.

The director also did last year's fantastic Confessions, which is worth checking out if you haven't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

The director also did last year's fantastic Confessions, which is worth checking out if you haven't already.

Yep, watched Confessions, great movie.

Happy Wednesday is ridiculously catchy !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Descendants: Really enjoyed this after watching a string of disappointing movies lately. Great acting from Clooney yet again, and some nice comedy moments littered throughout it. Really love the scene where Alex
    reacts to her mothers death while she is underwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Watched Pulp Fiction again over the weekend...this film really has it all and I dont think there are enough superlatives to describe it, but I'll try...

Fantastic cast, ridiculously good soundtrack, brilliant characters, unbelievable dialogue, lovely intertwining stories seen from multiple viewpoints, the list goes on....

It really did set itself apart from all other films made in 1994 and I can't believe it's nearly 20 years old!

Also just finished watching Take Shelter starring Michael Shannon (aka Agent Van Alden from Boardwalk Empire). Was supposed to be one of the best lesser-known films of 2011. Good story with some decent scenes to allow Shannon sink his teeth into. Kept me connected throughout, but nothing spectacular. I'd give it a solid 6 out of 10

....I still think he looks weird (Shannon that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

N
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    The Descendants: Really enjoyed this after watching a string of disappointing movies lately. Great acting from Clooney yet again, and some nice comedy moments littered throughout it. Really love the scene where Alex
    reacts to her mothers death while she is underwater.

I read someone somewhere saying that Clooney has perfected the confused/bewildered look whilst having his hair in a mess...Made me laugh,, it happens in this film too.

I did like this film though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Take Shelter - 9/10 thought it was an amazing portrayal of mental illness. Kind of torn about the ending though. Cracking soundtrack and Shannon should have been nominated for an Oscar. What a joke the academy awards are when you have tripe like the artist cleaning up and a performance like this going unnoticed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Playboy wrote: »
    Take Shelter - 9/10 thought it was an amazing portrayal of mental illness. Kind of torn about the ending though.

About the ending:
    Don't take the storm literally. It represents uncontrollable forces in the world. Forces that might one day come along and take everything you have away. These forces are very real which is why Shannon's visions must come true at the end. If they didn't, then the film really would be about mental illness, when it's actually about anxiety. The message of the film is that you can't live your life in fear of these things. If Shannon had given in to his anxieties then he would have been facing that storm alone at the end. Instead his family is with him and they face the storm together. That's a pretty powerful ending IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Playboy wrote: »
    tripe like the artist

Harsh to say the least. I enjoyed it a lot and while I agree that it didn't deserve all the accolades it received, that statement is a bit OTT in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Going through my fave Studio Ghibli films with my boyfriend who never saw any. Tonight we watched Ponyo, one of the newer releases. It is more aimed at children than some of the earlier films, but is still very beautiful and heartwarming, and cute!

Saw The Secret World of Arrietty in the cinema a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. Not as funny as others, but beautiful artwork and really draws you into the characters and their world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Spirited Away. A weird and wonderful film. Beautifully animated and touches on a wide variety of themes. I thought parts of it were extremely funny too. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Spirited Away. A weird and wonderful film. Beautifully animated and touches on a wide variety of themes. I thought parts of it were extremely funny too. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I recently picked up Howl's Moving Castle. It will have to wait till tomorrow though! (Game of Thrones tonight)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Last night I watched Antichrist. I must admit my attention wandered during some of the more talky sections, so I may have missed some crucial talking point, and I have no wish to see it again. I think the general thesis was quite clear, though:
    a couple's kid falls out the window while they're having sex, so They - especially Her - blame themselves and their sexuality for the tragedy. He makes matters worse though, being a psychologist who gets over-analytical, treating their grief dispassionately, until She resorts to some very drastic measures to try to make Him feel her pain and extirpate Her guilt.

I didn't find it all that shocking, though I imagine that the film would be contraindicated for someone who recently lost a loved one. There's more going on mentally than physically, though I did wince at the sight of
    Her drilling a hole in His leg and bolting a grindstone to it
    . I thought the director went out of his way to make the infamous "scissors" scene look fake and spare us a little.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Watched The Skulls last night and enjoyed it enough. Pretty throw away movie set in the underground secret society of a university. Nice performance from Joshua Jackson but very little brought to the table by everyone else involved, both cast and crew.

Dont reckon I'll be following it up with Skull 2 and 3 though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Headsman

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau would be main actor who had a great career as an army officer but left it to become town executioner
    so he could marry his sweetheart and raise their son and stay in the area

It's a necessary job but whoever does it becomes an outcast and must live outside the town

Set back in the middle ages and to do with Catholic Church trying to stamp out Lutherism,
    the Archbishop is ruthless and ordering the Friar to crack down or he'll crack down on the Friar. So do it or else

And then the Spanish Inquisition arrives, they're some ruthless devils
    I like the genre and I liked the film, thumps up

Nothing in my post realy as a spoiler but I'll stay safe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mesrine public enemy number 1

finally got around to watching this again after watching part 1 last week

not as good as #1, just jumps all over the place where killer instinct had more of an actual story to it. still a fantastic film, vincent cassel pulls it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Just back from The Hunger Games, I really enjoyed it. I'm just finished the second book in the series so myself and two of my friends went to see it. One of them has read the books aswell. My sister happened to be at it too with her friends, the expressions on their faces were comical because they weren't aware of what was about to happen like we were.

I thought that the way
    in which Seneca died (by being forced to eat the poisoned berries
    was much better than in the book. I thought it was a great change by the script writers. Really looking forward to the second one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

I've just watched one of the most disturbing films I've ever watched, specially from the point of view of a Christian. It's called Silence, a 40-year old Japanese flick dealing with Jesuit priests coming to Japan at the time that Christianity is forbidden.
    What would you do if not just your life, the life of hundreds of other Christians, depended on you formally renouncing your faith?
    I just watched it and I'm still torn apart by his decision, so much that I can't still decide whether to recommend this film to other Christians like myself. Anybody else has seen it?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067755/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Currently rewatching a show called Two guys and a girl starring a very young Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Fillion (swoon). Sitcom, follows sitcom rules, but its funnier than most that are out there at the moment.
    Same lead Writers from American Dad, Mad about you & Roseanne, Director from Friends & Greek

Quality show, check it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement