Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The Silence Of The Lambs was on TCM tonight, still a brilliant film, excellent performances in it and a damn good story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Just got done with Tyrannosaur.

Tbh I was expecting a Shane Meadows movie. Given that himself and Considine are close personally/professionally I thought there would be some common ground there and there was. The casting was great and the photography was decent but I thought the script was terrible and the plot was a bit flat.

Still decent but I'd prefer to see Considine in front of the camera.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Assault on Precinct 13 - B-movie hokum from John Carpenter propelled to endearingly cheesy heights by the conviction and insanity of its low-budget delivery. The story comes nowhere close to being believable at any point: it's utterly ridiculous from beginning to end. But the script is razor sharp, the performances are hilariously hammy, the jokes loveable, the editing tight and the action pleasantly OTT. The over-complex first half leading up to the titular assault is a hoot: so many bizarre complications!

But mostly, the music is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'Naked'. Harrowing film that I think will stay with me forever, David Thewlis gives the performance of his life. Highly Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Playboy wrote: »
    Take Shelter - 9/10 thought it was an amazing portrayal of mental illness. Kind of torn about the ending though.

About the ending:
    Don't take the storm literally. It represents uncontrollable forces in the world. Forces that might one day come along and take everything you have away. These forces are very real which is why Shannon's visions must come true at the end. If they didn't, then the film really would be about mental illness, when it's actually about anxiety. The message of the film is that you can't live your life in fear of these things. If Shannon had given in to his anxieties then he would have been facing that storm alone at the end. Instead his family is with him and they face the storm together. That's a pretty powerful ending IMO.

Cheers for that! Very interesting perspective

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Last night on TV - "The Hunt for Red October" (1990) - and this is one that I switched off the laptop for and watched to the end - despite having seen it numerous times before. A stong cast featuring Sean Connery as the Soviet sub commander in one of his best screen performances - ever - in my opinion; Sam Neill as his deputy puts in a good performance too as he dreams of starting a new life in Montana, Alec Baldwin as the CIA analysist thrust into the frontline, and Joss Ackland could have been born for his role as the Soviet diplomat. Worth staying up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

the wind that shakes the barley , i think it a very over rated film , bar liam cunningham , cilian murphy and his love interest , i didnt think the performances were all that great and were quite amateurish tbh , it has more the feel of a tv movie IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ProfessorWeeto

Last night on TV - "The Hunt for Red October" (1990) - and this is one that I switched off the laptop for and watched to the end - despite having seen it numerous times before. A stong cast featuring Sean Connery as the Soviet sub commander in one of his best screen performances - ever - in my opinion; Sam Neill as his deputy puts in a good performance too as he dreams of starting a new life in Montana, Alec Baldwin as the CIA analysist thrust into the frontline, and Joss Ackland could have been born for his role as the Soviet diplomat. Worth staying up for.

Similiar to myself man :)
    See it quite a few times. Saw it was starting at 9.30 so I turned over only to watch a few minutes. Ended up watching the whole thing :)

Something about the movie :) Just brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Alice - Jan Svankmajer's surreal, creepy and engaging adaptation of Lewis Carrol's tale of going through the looking glass (in this case, a writing desk). Many of the iconic moments pop up here, but in very distorted and somewhat nightmarish form (taxidermy is the order of the day). With all the dialogue presented as odd narration by the heroine - unfortunately in English on the Netflix version - we're constantly reminded this is one person's version and reading of the story. There's a wicked sense of humour throughout, much like any of Svankmajer's shorts I've seen, and ultimately it emerges as a far more memorable interpretation of the source material than the better known adaptations.

One review on rottentomatoes proclaims it as 'A masterpiece of surrealism that's more Tim Burton than Walt Disney'. Having seen Burton's overcooked and ironically Disneyified retelling, Svankmajer's dark and unusual version remains peerless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

the wind that shakes the barley , i think it a very over rated film , bar liam cunningham , cilian murphy and his love interest , i didnt think the performances were all that great and were quite amateurish tbh , it has more the feel of a tv movie IMO
    terrible film way too highly rated, acting is shocking

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Dark Crystal and Withnail and I

both movies look and sound fantastic on BR

as always i break into a ridiculous grin towards the end when 'I' wakes up in the back of the car asking what withnail is doing. "I'm making time". always gets me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Over the long weekend I watched.

The Descendants - Really enjoyed it. Might be my favourite George Clooney movie.
    Hunger Games - Thought it was decent but nothing more. It is a very ugly looking movie.
    Immortals - It was funny watching this after Wrath of the Titans because it is the same story. This one was just more stylish and bloody.

"Undercurrent" (1995) last night. An Irish cop movie shot in County Dublin with a laughable budget of £25,000 and boy does it show!

Two cynical plainclothes cops, (Stanley Townsend) Tom Brennan and (Owen Roe) Bob Harris, are assigned to investigate the disappearance of Jane Laughton, the daughter of the Irish Minister for Justice, who may have committed suicide, been murdered, or died by accident. To give you a clue into how cheaply it's made, when a shot is needed of a Garda car it's traffic footage filmed from a flyover at Belfield. Exterior shots of Pearse Street Garda station, without even entering the building, cut to an obvious film set. Anyway, the two cops are likeable enough characters, more like gumshoes than policemen and the end....well track it down. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Heist: File:Heist.jpg

The Bank Job: File:Bank_job_ver2.jpg

Oceans Eleven: File:Ocean%27s_Eleven_2001_Poster.jpg

I had a bit of a heist movie marathon with the girlfriend today, The Bank Job was the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Dermighty wrote: »
    Heist: File:Heist.jpg

The Bank Job: File:Bank_job_ver2.jpg

Oceans Eleven: File:Ocean%27s_Eleven_2001_Poster.jpg

I had a bit of a heist movie marathon with the girlfriend today, The Bank Job was the best of them.

Watched The Town today with the boyfriend so looks like we've a lot in common:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol over the weekend, thought it was ok, fairly far fetched in a good few places. Thought Tom Cruise was actually better in this one than the previous ones, no slow actions camera shots up close of him thankfully. Watchable but wouldn't watch it again if it was on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Terminator Salvation

"We don't go out after dark as the hunter killers have infrared and hunt better" WTF?!?!?

The first movie clearly had Reece saying they stay down by day and go out at night. Where is the phased plasma rifle in 40 watt range? Not these M4 carbines.

:mad:

Watched The Town today with the boyfriend so looks like we've a lot in common:D

Really enjoyed The Town too, must watch that again :P

Inside Man is a great robbery movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

decent film with samuel l jackson as a grifter thats forced into a grift after getting out of prison for murdering his friend
    7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Thor: Now admittedly im not a comic book fan but have liked some the films such as Iron Man but found Thor well boring for a fanboy maybe it was good but for your average movie goer I found the story slow and there wasnt much action at all, and I know when I watch these kind of films im basically not watching for there super intelligent plots its for the action sequences which were far and few between really.

• Advertisement

"Saving the Titanic" (2011) on RTE last night - docudrama about the unsung heroes of the Titanic - the engineers, electricians, stokers etc. who stayed below deck to ensure power systems were kept going until the last minute. I thought it worked really well, very atmospheric and strong acting performances. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

The Cutting Edge - Ice hockey / Figure skating mash up movie from 1992. Really enjoyed it. Fun rom com with DB Sweeney and Moira Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Watched The General on Tv3 last night. Does anybody know how much of it is fictionalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Watched The General on Tv3 last night. Does anybody know how much of it is fictionalised?
    was it mainly the fact that the events were humourous or exciting in the movie as opposed to the true horror of the reality of the situation??
    I've seen the guy being interviewed who lost his legs after his car exploded...very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Watched Shame (2011) and Mississippi Burning (1988) over the last two day. Two very good films.

was it mainly the fact that the events were humourous or exciting in the movie as opposed to the true horror of the reality of the situation??
    I've seen the guy being interviewed who lost his legs after his car exploded...very sad.

Well from I remember seeing on TV at the time, there's very little made up and the General was a bad bastard who crossed to many people in the end - Brendan Gleeson he was not! Good movie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm pretty sure he wasnt actually living with two of the Commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

"Saving the Titanic" (2011) on RTE last night - docudrama about the unsung heroes of the Titanic - the engineers, electricians, stokers etc. who stayed below deck to ensure power systems were kept going until the last minute. I thought it worked really well, very atmospheric and strong acting performances. 10/10
    Very effective film sad to see hard working men giving up their lives to keep the ship afloat for as long as they could. They would have had a horrible death god help them especially when the electric power failed in the ship, not been able to see. I don't want to be disrespectful to those who gave up their lives to save others but by right they should have abandoned their stations and got the hell out. It was sinking anyway despite their best efforts to save it.

Watched Shame (2011) and Mississippi Burning (1988) over the last two day. Two very good films.

I watched Shame the other night, I thought it was terrible, completely devoid of anything interesting.

Mississippi Burning is a great movie though. The barbershop scene really highlights Gene Hackmans presence on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Dermighty wrote: »
    I watched Shame the other night, I thought it was terrible, completely devoid of anything interesting.

Mississippi Burning is a great movie though. The barbershop scene really highlights Gene Hackmans presence on screen.

Yeah I can see why a lot of people would not like Shame, Michael Fassbender's character was interesting anyway :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement