Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

A lot of the movie discussion boards I go to are inundated with screen caps of Fassbender's big willy since that movie leaked. I'm not sure if I should watch it or if there's anything of substance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Kill List. This film has been hyped to the max and I've wanted to see it for a while. Watched it over the weekend and I don't know what to think of it. It starts out as a British kitchen sink drama, then turns into a hitman movie then takes a further turn into horror. It’s impossible to talk about the film without giving away the plot and the twisty last third.

On the one hand it was very visceral and intense. There was an atmosphere of dread hanging over it, I kept expecting something nasty to happen. And indeed lots of nasty things did happen. One particular scene involving a hammer will stay with me. The violence throughout was distressingly real.

Overall though I was a bit disappointed. Nothing was really explained to the audience and while I don’t mind when a film doesn’t spoon feed you the whole plot, it’s a bit annoying when nothing is explained. Also the final ‘twist’ wasn’t very original and like a lot of what came before didn’t make sense.

Still, it was worth a watch for the creepy atmosphere and impressive use of violence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Goodnight and Good Luck - well acted journalistic drama about a CBS news show standing up to McCarthyism. Great photography. Solid film.

Cruel Sea - thanks for the recommendation from this thread for this 1953 WWII British naval gem. Tense, with a stiff upper lip.

Into the Abyss - brilliant documentary. An excellent anti capital punishment piece.

Will check out Shame tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnimalCracker

Saw Let me in a few days ago. Heard great things about it, but it was crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Saw Let me in a few days ago. Heard great things about it, but it was crap.

You probably heard great things about the original film, Let the Right One In. Let Me In was the remake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Dead mans shoes again

Big meadows fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnimalCracker

You probably heard great things about the original film, Let the Right One In. Let Me In was the remake.

Ya that makes more sense because that had to be the most boring and dreary movie I have ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Re watched Primal Fear last night, love Ed Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

krudler wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he wasnt actually living with two of the Commitments.
    wp sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Detachment (quality film)
    Roadie( Ron Eldard deserves kudos for his acting in this film )
    Le Harve (a wonderfully uplifting movie)
    Sarah's Key (not bad)
    The Wicker Tree (Crap)
    Hammer (UFC fans may want to check this movie out)
    Intruders (Awful stuff)
    Awakening (Ok)
    Tropa De Elite 2(Even better than the first movie!)
    The Flowers of War (Loved it)
    Rampart( Woody's performance saves the movie in my opinion)
    Rundskop(best foreign film I've seen in a while)
    Miss Bala ( there is poor character development in this one, but still it succeeded in being a compelling story)
    The Divide (decent scifi- horror movie - the ending is very good)
    Young Adult( good movie about a woman-child)
    Contraband( decent action film)
    Man on A Ledge( if you can overlook the plot holes, then it's enjoyable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Snowtown an Ausie movie based on actual events.This was one of most
    hard hitting movies ive seen ever.Not for the faint hearted and definitely not light entertainment.Its an endurance test one jaw dropping scene leads to another.I think it was a 1st time director how they follow that i dont know.
    Shockingly good 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched The Three Musketeers (2011). Wow. Well what can I say? Its ...different. Make that absurdly different but actually once you just give up and go with it its a bit of a laugh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wrath Of The Titans, its...meh, some nice visuals but it felt really choppy, Kronos looked cool though

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

The Hunger Games - good for what it was, knew nothing about it going in and it turned out to be surprisingly exciting.

Speak - an indie film, starring young Kirsten Stewart, about a girl who goes from being quite popular in school to barely speaking to anybody after some events unfolded at a party. It's a very moving film and I enjoyed it a lot.

Tower Heist - forgettable flick with Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Source Code: Enjoyable movie although I felt it was a little short, also thought they should have ended it with the scene where
    everyone is frozen in time in the train carriage after Goodwin pulls the plug on Stevens and he dies, rather than putting the seeds in place for a sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Michael Clayton

Loved it

The Big Lebowski

It's a classic that never gets old - the conversations and reactions to situations in it are fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

PaulieC wrote: »
    The Big Lebowski

It's a classic that never gets old - the conversations and reactions to situations in it are fantastic!

Ok... this is gonna cause a row... controversial, I know... but I'm just gonna big-fat say it anyway... The Big Lebowski: Wayyyy over-rated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Ok... this is gonna cause a row... controversial, I know... but I'm just gonna big-fat say it anyway... The Big Lebowski: Wayyyy over-rated...

This is treason, blasphemy, hersesy and skullduggery!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Battle Royale. Very good film but very violent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

PaulieC wrote: »
    The Big Lebowski

Couldn't agree more it was rubbish imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Obviously you're not a golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's plenty of time for you to get it. There's always time. The Dude Abides. :cool:

Oh yeah - what have I watched recently? Premonition, starring Sandra Bullock, who is (as is too often the case) the only good thing about it. It's like a bad time travel film, except it's all in her head. Suburban "homemaker" has premonitions that her husband is killed, tries to prevent it, and
    ends up getting him killed as a result. But she's pregnant at the end, so that makes it all OK
    ...?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Man on a Ledge - Surprising decent, not fantastic or anything but not a bad way to waste a couple of hours. Oh, and Ed Harris has gotten OLD!!! :eek:

Contraband - Okay I guess.

Win Win - A charming comedy with Paul Giamatti, can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MI4 Ghost Protocol Decent movie with some good set pieces,goes back to the original type of plot rather than the John Woo slo-mo stuff.Jeremy Renner also gives us a glimpse of what he'll be like in the new Bourne movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Battle Royale. Very good film but very violent.

It's a second rate Hunger Games.:pac:

The Tooth Fairy: Don't ask.

Wouldn't mind somebody saying its overrated but saying its rubbish is a step too far in my book, I've seen some pretty rubbish films but TBL aint one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius

Bit dull tbh
    Would be a good lazy Sunday afternoon film for RTÉ

Jeremy Northam stole the show as Walter Hagan, very impressed

Was killing me to figure out where I saw him before, twas The Tudors
    Completly different role for him here, a drinker and partier, Hagan could live it up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Alien - 1979

All the talk on the upcoming Prometheus got me in the mood,
    what a classic, and new bluray version looks great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

jcf wrote: »
    Alien - 1979

All the talk on the upcoming Prometheus got me in the mood,
    what a classic, and new bluray version looks great too.

Great movie indeed, but I always prefared Aliens, anyone agree?

Last night I watched Evidence. I think it was mentioned earlier in this tread.
    Not so good imo. Was like watching two different movies and
    the last 15 mins was like watching the video game Left4Dead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement