Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Is her directing anything like her fathers?

Thankfully not. Nothing like boxing helena either. If you do decide to watch it forget who directed it. Also don't google it too much in advance :) I picked it on the basis of Bill Pullman & Julia Ormond being in it, knowing nothing about it in advance - it is surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Thankfully not? pfff. David Lynch is an amazing director.

But yeah, think I'll check this out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The Invention of Lying - Only saw this because I went with a girl I like :p
    I read a review and it was more or less spot on, disappointing (like Ghost Town, I thought), few good laughs in it, but wait for rental I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

WHAT?! there's a film that's more overrated than Slumdog?! *gasps* *faint*

It's not possible. It's like saying there is a number closer to Pi than Pi itself. Slumdog IS the definition of overrated. All other overrated films should be described as a fraction of slumdogs.

i.e. Juno is probably about 7/8's slumdog, whereas the Departed is probably about a 3/5's slumdog.
    Look, it wasn't amazing or anything but just good fun.

Yeah I guess I'm more into Zombie horror than I am Zombie comedy flicks. I guess I was expecting something close to "The Descent" but got something closer to "Dance of the Dead"

Have you seen Trick 'r Treat yet btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Saw Snake Eyes yesterday (aswell as In Bruges). Seemed interesting enough but just became tedious. Felt like it was trying to be a crime thriller and Die Hard at the same time, and Rick Santoro wasn't a likable protagonist for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

On Saturday/Sunday I watched:

Vargtimmen (1968)
    Put this on at 2am last night thinking it was a werewolf movie, didn't realise it was an Ingmar Bergman film, and was very pleased by it. "Hour of the Wolf", refers to the time before dawn when your dreams are most disturbing, when insomniacs are haunted by their fears, when most babies are born, when most people die. An artist, tormented by the past, living in isolation with his wife on an island... very atmospheric, some great scenes, a movie that you could discuss for hours I think. One of my favourite Berman flicks for sure!

Appaloosa (2008)
    A western starring Ed Harris, a sharp-shooting marshall with bad vocabulary, and his deputy (played by Aragorn). It gets one and a half thumbs down. I see what they were trying to achieve, but it fell flat and was not believable in the least, and it was a huge mistake casting Renée Zellweger whose face is all swollen up like an allergy to a bee sting or something.

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
    Straight into another Ed Harris movie, completely by coincidence. Don't know how I've gone for so long without watching this. It has been referenced so many times in popular culture, it is nice to finally see where Old Gill came from :) Very obviously a play more so than a movie, but so many great monologues like this one, which I can't quote on here because of the obscenity count. Was actually disappointed when this abruptly ended, I could have watched another two hours of these guys in action.

The Bank Job (2008)
    Based on a true story, which makes it somewhat interesting. I'm going to say that it was decent but not particularly memorable, because to be honest, I've forgotten most of it already. The characters were weak, but the plot was good, but the movie was carried well by Jason Statham - technically a weak actor, but he has great charisma in these "rough but amiable geezer" roles. Worth a watch mainly because it really happened.

Taxi to the Dark Side (2007)
    Documentary film about torture practices of the US, by Alex Gibney, who did "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room". Starts with a taxi driver in Afghanistan who gets tortured to death in prison. Disturbing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly.

Quite possibly the worst film I have seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Made myself a day off and went through three films while writing.

Across the Universe
    I'm not really a person for musicals but that was a pretty good film, the visuals blew me away and the re-imagined Beatles tunes, great.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    self-explanatory.

and...

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang
    quick, witty, funny and damn enjoyable. I'm only at the 40-minute mark in the film and I've already had my moneys worth.

Zombieland - Fantastic! Funny, gory, best cameo ever, and great soundtrack.
    A!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

krudler wrote: »
    I liked The Ringer, I dont get why people slate it for insulting the special olympics when it doesnt, it was made with their full support and approval and is one of the few movies to show people with mental disabilites as being just as funny as anyone else

Sorry if you took me up wrong but I wasn't giving the film or it's maker's any stick. I thought it was a decent comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Shampoo with Warren Beatty, Goldie Hawn and Julie Christie. Not what i had expected at all, just ehhh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

The Invention of Lying-Thought it was terrible good idea but went no where and turned into a love story.Aviod at all costs.

Just Friends- Very funny would def watch again Ryan Renolds doing what he does best.

The Preposal -Tripe laughed once or twice aviod.Sandra Bullock looks smoking hot in this so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

watched "banned in America". made me nauseous. never again. wtf is wrong with some people!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

The movies i've watched this week:
    (p.s. i've seen all of them before, i jst went through my dvd collection again lately)
    I usually see a movie per day, sometimes 1 and half:P
    So this week i've seen:

Dr.Dolittle
    Dr.Dolittle 2
    Dr.Dolittle 3 All good but not special, just some harmless childish fun:)

Ghost R.I.P Patrick Swayze... must say was pretty weird seeing his character dying and going to heaven and all that...

Transporter
    Transporter 2 Learning some good kicks from there eh? Great actor, facinating film.

The New World That version of Pocahontas story isn't that popular, but i like it. Starring our own Colin Farrell. You go boy!

Stalingrad German movie of a battle in second world war... 100k men went to this battle, 10k returned... based on a true life, no happy ending.

The Magdalene Sisters - needs no more words, a must-see movie for everyone. Harsh but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

madds wrote: »
    The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly.

Quite possibly the worst film I have seen in a long time.

I liked it loads. Myeah, guess thats not a good movie if ya don't want to see some stuff about aliens hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Man Som Hatar Kvinnor

One of the best films i've seen this year. I believe there is a sequel to it and all. So i'm looking forward to seeing it. I just hope Hollywood doesn't butcher this film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Død snø (Dead Snow).

You can't go far wrong with nazi zombies in a movie with a tagline of 'EIN ZWEI DIE'

Ha, pretty much what I said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The last few days:

Zombieland - decent, but not amazing, too vague in its direction.

Pulse 2 - not bad, enjoyed it. Watching 3 tonight.

Outbreak on a plane - Zombies on a plane...win win.

Return of the Living Dead 3 - had to revisit this classic, best in the series.

Ultraviolet - utter poo.

Pandorum - Not bad, bit too predictable but enjoyable all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Alpha Dog
    tropic thunder
    Evil Dead
    Audition
    Memento
    Zeitgeist 1+2
    Dont be a menace in south central while drinking your juice in the hood
    Shrek 3
    Scum :cool:
    'Wheres your tool? This fuckin tool!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Seen Zombie land the other night. Was AMAZING! Best film I've seen all year. Thats gonna revive woody's career!

This is a must see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

last film I watched was 'Away we go'

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Les Biches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Surrogates & Couples Retreat

both were entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Watched the first 3 Indiana Jones movies on Sky Movies HD. First and third are classics. Look great in HD aswell:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Went to see Up in the cinema...what a great movie. I actually cannot explain how much I loved it.

Watched Monsters Inc then afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Watched this this morning

Felon: From a brief reading of it's synopsis you'd imagine this is another cookie cut prison movie. In a way it is, it ticks all the usual boxes. But it is also so much more. Brilliantly acted, and effectively portrayed, it kept me gripped for the entirety. Conveys a sense of realism also that I've rarely seen in films of it's ilk.

That being said, I heard "Waaaalt!!!" chime off in my head more than a few times, damn you LOST :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Watched this this morning

Felon: From a brief reading of it's synopsis you'd imagine this is another cookie cut prison movie. In a way it is, it ticks all the usual boxes. But it is also so much more. Brilliantly acted, and effectively portrayed, it kept me gripped for the entirety. Conveys a sense of realism also that I've rarely seen in films of it's ilk.

That being said, I heard "Waaaalt!!!" chime off in my head more than a few times, damn you LOST :D

Val Kilmer is almost unrecognisable too!

008FLN_Val_Kilmer_001.jpg

Not the best picture, but the only one I could find with him wearing glasses too!

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Watched the first 3 Indiana Jones movies on Sky Movies HD. First and third are classics. Look great in HD aswell:D
    Wait what? How can they be in HD if they're not on Blu ray yet (I know some people think there's a fourth Indy movie but it never happened I tells ya! ridiculous!)

Felon was great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement